Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Brawnfire posted:

Oh gently caress, you're Mare Balthicum

Lick my Belgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Piss is stored in the Belgrade.

Which is at the well-known border of Hungary and Lithuania.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

At least the stick acknowledges Doggerland

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Also quite a few Saxonies in England.

Wait a minute...and Belgium is ruled by the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha...

Saxons! :argh:

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Wait a minute...and Belgium is ruled by the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha...

Saxons! :argh:

Just rename them to Windsor and all is well

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Reason to hate England #5173: Lack of Nossex

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Everywhere outside of the sexes is nosex.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Should really be North Macedonia on there, not showing the proper respect for Greek feelings, can't have that.

e: We really should call England the Eastern Wales for fairness as well IMO, the English showed up around the same time as the Macedonian slavs.

Dwyrain Cymru that is, obviously, not going to use the English word for it.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 28, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't that already Lloegyr?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Hungary is the rear end end of Europe.

Sergeant_Zeno
Jul 3, 2002

This one is concerning. It affects everyone I know.

I find it interesting to point to different spots on the map where I was stationed in the military and remembering how much it cost to live there 20 years ago.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Sergeant_Zeno posted:

This one is concerning. It affects everyone I know.

I find it interesting to point to different spots on the map where I was stationed in the military and remembering how much it cost to live there 20 years ago.

Is there something more to this than interest rates jumping up in this period?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

EasilyConfused posted:

Is there something more to this than interest rates jumping up in this period?

Inner cities (rent-heavy) getting abandoned for suburbs (ownership-heavy) and construction costs going up, which hits rent prices only with a delay.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Honj Steak posted:

Inner cities (rent-heavy) getting abandoned for suburbs (ownership-heavy) and construction costs going up, which hits rent prices only with a delay.

Are they really abandoned anymore? I thought gentrification has been a widespread and ongoing process for close to a quarter-century now.

Working class people are priced out of the urban core where young DINKs are moving in, and are getting pushed out to the suburbs where the lack of infrastructure makes holding job(s) even more difficult.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Are they really abandoned anymore? I thought gentrification has been a widespread and ongoing process for close to a quarter-century now.

Working class people are priced out of the urban core where young DINKs are moving in, and are getting pushed out to the suburbs where the lack of infrastructure makes holding job(s) even more difficult.

Just in the short term because of Covid. Long term it’s of course correct that the inner cities are getting more popular.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s also pretty difficult for a lot of working class people to afford a down payment and get a mortgage loan at all, which these ignore

This goes all the way down to basics. The valu-park of thirty tp rolls is 25 bucks and you have a kid and fifty bucks for groceries and gas till next check? You grab the four pack. Smart long term is hard and sometimes stupid from the bottom

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't that already Lloegyr?

Uhmm, kinda. Maybe more like if the Welsh demanded that England must stop referring to itself as being part of Britain and instead call themselves Western Angles or something.

Still the whole thing is very silly, revanchism past a 1000 years is a bit much IMO.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
East Anglia is a bad name because it's significantly west of Angeln.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

saw devo tonight

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

good on mark remembering new zealand

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

saw devo tonight

drat that's a cool shirt

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Albino Squirrel posted:

Which is at the well-known border of Hungary and Lithuania.

At a certain time in history Lithuania was actually really big. The map isn't wrong in that regard.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

And don't forget about incredible shrinking Hungary

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

An exercise for the reader: using maximalist claims of currently existing nations, how few European countries can you get away with having? Claims may overlap (these are warzones) but all territory must be claimed. Europe ends at the Urals and Bosporus.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BonHair posted:

An exercise for the reader: using maximalist claims of currently existing nations, how few European countries can you get away with having? Claims may overlap (these are warzones) but all territory must be claimed. Europe ends at the Urals and Bosporus.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does europe include the moon? Just thinking about the bishop of the moon and whether that is relevant.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

Denmark, Italy, Russia, Germany, and the UK?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

It's kind of boring if it's just claims based on a past empire or big kingdom that existed. I feel like it has to be actually existing irredentist claims as of today. With a cut-off that they can't be totally obscure and held by like 5 people.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Randarkman posted:

It's kind of boring if it's just claims based on a past empire or big kingdom that existed. I feel like it has to be actually existing irredentist claims as of today. With a cut-off that they can't be totally obscure and held by like 5 people.

Yeah, I agree with this. And also, Turkey (or Italy or the Vatican, lol) doesn't get to claim the Roman empire. I'm okay with Turkish claims on the Ottoman empire though.

Comedy option is Basque country, Hungary and Finland for the record.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Randarkman posted:

If you add that condition, the question is really more about how many countries are fully claimed by another, starting from the total number of European countries and then eliminating a few like the Baltics and Ireland.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Rules lawyer option would be the full claims of the Union of European Federalists, which has at least 20 people.

More interesting one would be the Bonapartists, Reichsbürgers, and Putinists/Greater Eurasianists, but there's more fascist nonsense than maps for all those.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Phlegmish posted:

And don't forget about incredible shrinking Hungary

Magyar goatse.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Private Speech posted:

Uhmm, kinda. Maybe more like if the Welsh demanded that England must stop referring to itself as being part of Britain and instead call themselves Western Angles or something.

Still the whole thing is very silly, revanchism past a 1000 years is a bit much IMO.

When did Oswestry stop being in Wales because I've definitely heard some people be unironically revanchist about that bit of Shropshire.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i got really stoned for the first time in a while last night and realised i was just sort of casually scrolling around my maps app fully zoomed out getting a kind of vertigo from how Antarctica feels like a giant beast at the bottom of the world in mercator

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

MeinPanzer posted:

Magyar goatse.

Thread name

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Very bold decoltage on the Americas :eyepop:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i got really stoned for the first time in a while last night and realised i was just sort of casually scrolling around my maps app fully zoomed out getting a kind of vertigo from how Antarctica feels like a giant beast at the bottom of the world in mercator
Last time I had a stoned geographic time I was watching TV and trying to figure out what the best world capital would be, based solely on location. I believe I settled on Dakar, which in hindsight seems a little Atlantic Ocean focused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Last time I had a stoned geographic time I was watching TV and trying to figure out what the best world capital would be, based solely on location. I believe I settled on Dakar, which in hindsight seems a little Atlantic Ocean focused.

Might put it somewhere in the circle where 2/3 of the people live