Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Meadowhill posted:

Finally beat everything except Malenia on my big rear end Iron greatsword run and every boss was easy except can't beat Malenia. Now I'm doing a dagger buckler run and it is so satisfying to hit the parry on enemies.

Did you try jump attacking her repeatedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Slap Giant Hunt on the sword, play defensive until you have an opening, then 1 GH to knock her into the air and another when she's on the ground. If the first doesn't knock her down, leave it at that. Rinse and repeat.

She's not terribly fun to fight as melee imho, but I recommend Giant Hunt over most anything else because you crouch down for the first part of it and a surprising number of her attacks will go right over your head, which means more openings if you have balls of iron to match your sword

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum
I found a new cheese on Placidusax.

1) Post Latenna up about 10yards away from where you zone in.
2) Start the fight but never get close to the dragon.
3) Just shift left to right in a wide arc dodging the lightning AOEs.
4) Latenna will gun him down and he'll never enter phase 2 if you never get close.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Yadoppsi posted:

The Poker has to be the best of the Deathbird weapons. I had made an Int/Fth necromancer and thought about doing something cheeky like putting Int scaling on an erdsteel dagger or Fth scaling on the clayman's harpoon but as soon as I got the poker it turned into another greatsword bonk build, albeit with a few magic tricks like Rancorcall for stagger and roll catching.

the poker is really, really good. it's arts are incredibly useful against almost all the bosses in the game and for those it's not, you can probably rancorcall/ancient death rancor the poo poo out of them with your elixir.

the field of ghostflame also procs frostbite really well, if you're into that.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A fun use for the flame path is to cast it several meters in front of a lobster and watch it slowly trundle over it. Repeat until dead. They don’t seem to use the spit attack at mid-range so its a reliable and low effort way to get rid of them. Even got it working on the lobster packs in the mountaintops.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Yadoppsi posted:

The Poker has to be the best of the Deathbird weapons. I had made an Int/Fth necromancer and thought about doing something cheeky like putting Int scaling on an erdsteel dagger or Fth scaling on the clayman's harpoon but as soon as I got the poker it turned into another greatsword bonk build, albeit with a few magic tricks like Rancorcall for stagger and roll catching.

It’s my favourite weapon in the game. It’s weird it only scales with int and not faith but what can you do

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Drain 001 posted:

I found a new cheese on Placidusax.

1) Post Latenna up about 10yards away from where you zone in.
2) Start the fight but never get close to the dragon.
3) Just shift left to right in a wide arc dodging the lightning AOEs.
4) Latenna will gun him down and he'll never enter phase 2 if you never get close.

I need to try that some day :haw:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you really wanna trivialize Plassie, embrace the doot

edit - also pretty much every enemy as big or bigger than an omen

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Epic High Five posted:

If you really wanna trivialize Plassie, embrace the doot

edit - also pretty much every enemy as big or bigger than an omen

I highly endorse the doot, it works extremely well against larger bosses. Except for that stupid Elden Beast. Then you just need to apply a very large hammer instead.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

OGS-Remix posted:

I highly endorse the doot, it works extremely well against larger bosses. Except for that stupid Elden Beast. Then you just need to apply a very large hammer instead.

No it shreds the beast too. 80% resist doesn't help against incredible posture damage and so much damage in total that 20% is still a huge amount. Any faith build will be built for the doot and the WA scales off faith (though is still extremely good with minimum requirements)

ADLS or pest threads is better overall but the beast is no reason to stop dootin, it's Radagon that it suffers on but even then it's still a great hammer and thus extremely capable as a weapon

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Meadowhill posted:

Finally beat everything except Malenia on my big rear end Iron greatsword run and every boss was easy except can't beat Malenia. Now I'm doing a dagger buckler run and it is so satisfying to hit the parry on enemies.

When I beat Malenia on my large club run I did it with Lion's Claw ash and using a lot of blocking. When she waterfowled I'd roll - block - roll, and then hit Lion's Claw right after the little bonus flury. She spent a lot of time pancaked.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015

WaltherFeng posted:

Did you try jump attacking her repeatedly
I've tried to hit the jumpy jump but then Malenia goes Waterfowl and I lose the dance battle

Epic High Five posted:

Slap Giant Hunt on the sword, play defensive until you have an opening, then 1 GH to knock her into the air and another when she's on the ground. If the first doesn't knock her down, leave it at that. Rinse and repeat.

She's not terribly fun to fight as melee imho, but I recommend Giant Hunt over most anything else because you crouch down for the first part of it and a surprising number of her attacks will go right over your head, which means more openings if you have balls of iron to match your sword
I'll give it a try but I fear this is as the young people call it a skill issue.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I want a second Great Knife so I'm hustling my lvl 5 rear end to Lakeside Crystal Cave and I'm going to farm that the demi human

Pray for me

Hey that only took 7 kills nice

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 1, 2023

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Unless they patched it, for the longest time the most hilarious way to deal with Malenia was Horns. Cast it, she's down. She tries to get up, you hit her again. Repeat until phase 2.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Horns is still incredibly good, but if you're casting then the fire giant spells, specifically Flame of the Fell God and Burn, O Flame! are way way better and both also knock her on her rear end (a running theme with dealing with her lol)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I’m playing dark souls for the first time…figured I’d make a push to be able to equip the zweihander since I had so much luck with it in elden ring.

It’s slower and a bit clumsier, and I found that the club is so far the easiest and raddest weapon to use. I killed a bunch of those loving big knights with it, and have just been one hitting everything in the catacombs easily because of it. Upgraded to 5 and have 24 str and took down the necromancer dude with the masks first go 🍗

My only wish is for a longer club

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

i am harry posted:

I’m playing dark souls for the first time…figured I’d make a push to be able to equip the zweihander since I had so much luck with it in elden ring.

It’s slower and a bit clumsier, and I found that the club is so far the easiest and raddest weapon to use. I killed a bunch of those loving big knights with it, and have just been one hitting everything in the catacombs easily because of it. Upgraded to 5 and have 24 str and took down the necromancer dude with the masks first go 🍗

Best part of the Zwei is the R2 slam interrupts enemies it lands near even if it doesn't hit, it's insanely powerful. There isn't a shortage of big stupid hammers tho so don't worry there, strike damage is just really strong in these games

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

i am harry posted:

Are you talking about the Club, the Large Club, or the Great Club?

The normal Club is fine, but it's worse than the Reinforced Club, which has the same moveset and speed and is better in every way. RC is basically a nailbat. RC is so good it can reliably SL1 the game.

Large Club is a rare drop and not that good.

Great Club is guaranteed loot from Blighttown and it's Great. It's pretty Long as well.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Elden Ring did the Great Club dirty by making it a colossal weapon, aka worse moveset than the Large Club.

There's no longer a Reinforced Club, but there is a Stone Club, which is the best hammer in the whole game.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Man this double Great Knife run is loving brutal I'm finding this harder than trying to be a sorcerer.

Might swap to twinblade or claws maybe

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Double Daggers has basically no hitstun, it has what is termed a DamageLevel 8 ministagger which is very short. And because what governs ministaggers against the PVE is based off the DamageLevel, daggers will not interrupt anybody.

This is why Halberds and Great weapons with DamageLevel 2 can reliably interrupt most enemies with most of its attacks, and why colossal swords can completely lock down even enemy Knights and Omen.

Also Whips also have a DamageLevel 2 hitstun, and to me they are the easiest method I have of killing Malenia.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

verbal enema posted:

Man this double Great Knife run is loving brutal I'm finding this harder than trying to be a sorcerer.

Might swap to twinblade or claws maybe

Star fists or spiked caestus will do what you want better than daggers imo.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

They really whip Malenia's rear end

:haw:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hmmm.. maybe a whip run..

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

verbal enema posted:

Hmmm.. maybe a whip run..

Id save it for ng+ when you can rock dual wielded diallos whips.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Large Club is a rare drop and not that good.

Wait, why? I was under the impression it was about as good as the Great Club.

Also on the ER side I took the beastman club (or w/e it's actually called) to be the rough equivalent of the reinforced.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Daggers are kind of a pain in the rear end with some enemies. Anything vaguely humanoid sized with fast attacks requires lots of dodge rolling. I ended up relying on ashes that did poise damage for opponents that I couldn't consistently proc status effects on.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Large club is better than great club cuz it has a better moveset

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

Best part of the Zwei is the R2 slam interrupts enemies it lands near even if it doesn't hit, it's insanely powerful. There isn't a shortage of big stupid hammers tho so don't worry there, strike damage is just really strong in these games

The 2-hand R2 knocks most humanoid enemies on their rear end. It really is absurd and let's you cheese every knight in DS by chain slamming them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

John Murdoch posted:

Wait, why? I was under the impression it was about as good as the Great Club.

Also on the ER side I took the beastman club (or w/e it's actually called) to be the rough equivalent of the reinforced.

Large club is excellent, only slightly weaker than great club and it does poison weirdly enough. But you have to grind it forever from fatties, unlike great club which you can just go grab

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I know its been said a million times, but I was just replaying Sekiro to get the boss rush challenges done and it feels even more obvious to me than previously that Malenia was a scrapped and reworked Sekiro boss, probably from an abandoned Tomoe dlc.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Carian sword spell gimmick is reaching its limitations with Malenia.

The stamp ashes or giant hunt are strictly better than carian piercer in terms of damage per FP. And Azula's range is sadly too short to tag Malenia when she's in the "sidling to the side, not going to react to an opening" mode.

On the plus side, I actually have to engage with the fight this time. Two-handing a greatsword is very different from colossal bonk with an overpowered summon :v: Dodging waterfowl pretty reliably now so long as she's at mid-range, now it's just a damage race with a bit of RNG and a split damage sword. Although the frost procs probably make up for that.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I’m always like “gently caress yeah pizza cutter” when I start this game up and then I end up in agony when I remember it’s not nearly as fast as the BB pizza cutter. The Godfrey axe is sadly the “speedy, sparky two-hander” of this game.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I appreciate Ghiza's wheel purely for the irony that its actually super good at killing Iron Virgins.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The pizza cutter got some buffs in the last patch in addition to the ones all colossals got awhile back, it may not be great still but it may be workable

Bug Squash posted:

The 2-hand R2 knocks most humanoid enemies on their rear end. It really is absurd and let's you cheese every knight in DS by chain slamming them.

This was my entire last DS1 run and it was a hoot

khwarezm posted:

I know its been said a million times, but I was just replaying Sekiro to get the boss rush challenges done and it feels even more obvious to me than previously that Malenia was a scrapped and reworked Sekiro boss, probably from an abandoned Tomoe dlc.

Demon of Hatred and Malenia were part of a boss exchange program

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Large club is not a drop. You are crossing some wires. It's on the back edge of the bloodhound gaol hill in limgrave. That's one of the reasons I'm a big evangelist for it: great move set, extremely good reqch for a great hammer, nonsomber, and possible to get without even having to fight a single enemy or leave any zone.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

My blind playthrough continues unhindered; bonkin’ a Greatsword +12 through Caelid and Dragonbarrow.

I kept falling into the open-world game trap and then getting bored, so now I’ve inverted my approach to mainline an areas major dungeon before I loot the countryside and become overleveled.

I have had a couple struggles with some gank bosses (double Pumpkin mainly), otherwise it’s been smooth sailing.

Omenkiller was a nice little homage (but the arena was far too spacious).

CommonShore posted:

Large club is not a drop. You are crossing some wires.

I think you might be crossing some wires because to my reading the context is DS1, where it’s dropped by the fatties in Blighttown.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

CommonShore posted:

Large club is not a drop. You are crossing some wires. It's on the back edge of the bloodhound gaol hill in limgrave. That's one of the reasons I'm a big evangelist for it: great move set, extremely good reqch for a great hammer, nonsomber, and possible to get without even having to fight a single enemy or leave any zone.

DS1. In Elden Ring the situation is reversed, large club is just lying around in the sticks and great club is a boss drop halfway through the game.

Too bad the ER large club doesn’t have innate poison

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Finally got back around to Elden Ring and just beat the game as a Strength/Faith build.

I want to go through again doing the opposite and do a Dex/Int run. I know about the Moonveil but what else should I be looking for? Any tips on how to start this run? I largely ignored everything Int focused last time around so any starting tips would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Vandar posted:

Finally got back around to Elden Ring and just beat the game as a Strength/Faith build.

I want to go through again doing the opposite and do a Dex/Int run. I know about the Moonveil but what else should I be looking for? Any tips on how to start this run? I largely ignored everything Int focused last time around so any starting tips would be appreciated.

Cold Godskin Peeler (especially via Loretta's Slash), Death's Poker, Dark Moon Greatsword, Wing of Astel, Cold Nightrider Flail, Bastard's Stars. For the start of the run, find any Dex weapon that you like and make it Cold.

Most staves scale on Int, but the scaling curves kick in at different minimum Int values. For a Dex/Int build you'll probably want to eventually max out the Academy Glintstone Staff, which scales best for Int 41-68. If you want to just barely dabble in Incantations, the Golden Order Seal scales with both Int and Faith.