Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Octopath 2 was such an improvement that the first game shouldnt be mentioned in the same breath as the second.

The hype for DD2 is justified because it's by the director of DMC5, and built on the wildly successful engine that has powered every AAA Capcom game of note since 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Street Fighter 1 is probably worse than 6.5/10 tbh.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tender Bender posted:

There are countless games that accomplish this feat lol

Sure there are, but let's not just assume this is gonna be one of them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I just want to know if the dragon’s voice actor is back.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

big mean giraffe posted:

BG3 inventory is fine if you just use the sort feature and sell poo poo or send poo poo to camp you don't want to carry.

I think the search function and the windows explorer shift click that let's you bulk sell your crap are excellent. Cannot defend the party swapping feature though, that's absurdly clunky.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Tender Bender posted:

There are countless games that accomplish this feat lol

Yes, but most of them accomplished that by throwing away most things that made the original interesting.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

mycot posted:

Let's be honest, "Decent first game, phenomenal second game" is/was practically Capcom's MO for awhile. Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Megaman, Breath of Fire...

Just a shame this means that Dragon's Dogma 5 and 6 will be hot garbage.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Randalor posted:

Let's be honest, "Decent first game, phenomenal second game" is/was practically Capcom's MO for awhile. Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Megaman, Breath of Fire...

Depends on the model it's following. If it's following Megaman Legends, there will be no third game. Megaman Battle Network? The third game will be even better, then the fourth game will be dog poo poo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

mycot posted:

Reminds me, I was doing the dishes the other day and I idly wondered what the greatest sequel ever is. Across all media. And not just great on its own but great as a sequel in that it is so far and above its predecessor(s).

Street Fighter II was what made me think of it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lobok posted:

Reminds me, I was doing the dishes the other day and I idly wondered what the greatest sequel ever is. Across all media. And not just great on its own but great as a sequel in that it is so far and above its predecessor(s).

I mean, how many people have played, even seen, the first Street Fighter? Versus the series that the sequel spawned.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I mean, how many people have played, even seen, the first Street Fighter? Versus the series that the sequel spawned.

Street Fighter 2 has more variations and remakes than most game series have entries. It's honestly disturbing how much mileage Capcom got out of that one title.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Randalor posted:

Street Fighter 2 has more variations and remakes than most game series have entries. It's honestly disturbing how much mileage Capcom got out of that one title.

It wasn't even Capcom all the time! I can't think of another arcade game where unauthorized modified versions spread like wildfire, were arguably as popular as the real versions, and introduced stuff that the actual devs would later incorporate. The first time I saw a player throw Hadoukens in mid-air blew my mind.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I wasn't even thinking of the Rainbow Edition when I posted that. If you consider all the bootlegs, it's probably got more variations than entire systems had games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Max Payne to Max Payne 2 is probably the biggest improvement as far as “sequels to unequivocally good games” go.

Randalor posted:

Dead Rising to Dead Rising 2 comes to mind as well. DR2 just clowned on the first game in so many ways.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Lobok posted:

Really hard fight between Aliens and Terminator 2, very little can hold up against them

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

Really hard fight between Aliens and Terminator 2, very little can hold up against them

It depends on how you judge the sequels I guess? Aliens and Terminator 2 are both really good sequels, but they both built off of good, solid first films.

Street Fighter was bad enough that if I told you that it's sequel would redefine the entire concept of Fighting Games for generations to come, and be a tournament staple for over 30 years, you would have me committed.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nuebot posted:

Most people just don't have particularly high standards.
Yes, I’ve seen your posts

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Morpheus posted:

Street Fighter 1 is one of the arcade games that you can play on daily rotation in Street Fighter 6's online hub. In most cases the rotating games are a little annoying, because maybe you just don't give a poo poo about Magic Sword and Final Fight, but tough poo poo, that's what's on. And on the flipside, it's really lame that Mega Man: Power Battles is only rarely on offer, that game is great.

But you... probably don't want to play SF1 more than once.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lobok posted:

If sequel isn't limited to second installment then it's surely Fury Road.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

My Lovely Horse posted:

If sequel isn't limited to second installment then it's surely Fury Road.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lobok posted:

Beethoven's first two symphonies are fine. His third ushered in a whole new era of music.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Lobok posted:

Grand Theft Auto 3 is pretty jank these days, but if you're talking steps up from its predecessors and how much of an impact it made on gaming as a whole, it's definitely up there.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Byzantine posted:

Grand Theft Auto 3 is pretty jank these days, but if you're talking steps up from its predecessors and how much of an impact it made on gaming as a whole, it's definitely up there.

That would be a strong contender for sure.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Beethoven's first two symphonies are fine. His third ushered in a whole new era of music.

I don't know enough about his music or music in general to know if it qualifies as a sequel, though, or if it's another, unrelated work the artist created.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Look, I just think you're all setting yourself up for disappointment claiming that the sequel to a game that was an entertaining 6.5/10 at best is going to somehow be a huge leap above that.

Over the last 6 years capcom has turned out success after success for monster hunter, resident evil, street fighter, DMC and ace attorney. they have a fantastic track record right now and DD2 is coming out in a very different context than when DD1 released over a decade ago. But the game is so unorthodox and feels like it’s been left behind by history somewhat (dark souls 1 came out around the same time and was obviously massively more influential over the following decade) that a sequel appearing after this long with capcom’s current batting average is a legitimately big opportunity. For gently caress’s sake, let people have this.

since this is the things dragging games down thread, I do think the lack of multiplayer in the sequel is a massive missed opportunity and I seriously hope pawns come with AI this time so that there aren’t a bunch of encounters that basically just can’t be completed if you aren’t playing one of the classes that can do everything yourself. I’m very confident from what they’ve shown that DD2 is going to share the strengths of 1, but it remains to be seen how much it’s going to address its weaknesses.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Morpheus posted:

We didn't have a Super Nintendo, we had a Tandy 386 with some upgraded RAM. Dad brought me home this, I was... so... so... disappointed

Except I think, I don't know, even these graphics look better than what I remember.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mario Bros 3, to Super Mario World, to Yoshi's Island must have been a hell of a whiplash to experience.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Owl Inspector posted:

Over the last 6 years capcom has turned out success after success for monster hunter, resident evil, street fighter, DMC and ace attorney. they have a fantastic track record right now and DD2 is coming out in a very different context than when DD1 released over a decade ago. But the game is so unorthodox and feels like it’s been left behind by history somewhat (dark souls 1 came out around the same time and was obviously massively more influential over the following decade) that a sequel appearing after this long with capcom’s current batting average is a legitimately big opportunity. For gently caress’s sake, let people have this.

since this is the things dragging games down thread, I do think the lack of multiplayer in the sequel is a massive missed opportunity and I seriously hope pawns come with AI this time so that there aren’t a bunch of encounters that basically just can’t be completed if you aren’t playing one of the classes that can do everything yourself. I’m very confident from what they’ve shown that DD2 is going to share the strengths of 1, but it remains to be seen how much it’s going to address its weaknesses.

I’m looking at playing Dragon’s Dogma soon from a friend’s recommendation. What classes should I avoid?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

Mario Bros 3, to Super Mario World, to Yoshi's Island must have been a hell of a whiplash to experience.

1 to 2 to 3 was weirder to me. 3 to World was definitely impressive graphically but World fit in the same mold as 3.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Arivia posted:

I’m looking at playing Dragon’s Dogma soon from a friend’s recommendation. What classes should I avoid?

Short version: if you play as a strider, ranger or assassin and have a mage or sorcerer pawn with an elemental weapon buff (fire or holy are the most widely useful) you can comfortably do everything in the game. If you play as magick archer or mystic knight, you can do everything except metal golems. There are only a few metal golems in the game and they’re all optional, so magick archer and mystic knight are pretty safe classes too.

Longer version: if you play as anything else you’ll be fine most of the time but can get blindsided by something that you basically cannot kill because your pawns won’t do their job. you can run from almost every encounter but if you have to kill it for a quest, you’ll have to go back to town and switch classes. these are the problem enemies:

Golems: have to be killed by doing physical damage to medallions ontheir body. Pawns basically don’t know how to fight them so if you are playing a mage or sorcerer, good luck.

Metal golems: same deal but the medals are floating in various places around the area, and every metal golem encounter has a medal that’s floating high up in the air. Pawns with bows will refuse to shoot the medal, so if you’re playing anything besides strider, ranger or assassin, you have very little way to do the ranged physical damage you need to break the medal.

Ghosts: only weak to magic, but mage/sorcerer pawns do know how to provide elemental weapon buffs so usually you can kill them as any class.

Living armor: initially only weak to physical, and at half health they switch to being only weak to elemental. These are only in bitterblack isle and pawns are very unreliable at doing damage on their own at this point, so you need to be prepared to handle both halves yourself.

There are a few encounters with archers positioned up on perches that you can’t reach, and ranged pawns simply refuse to shoot back, so if you’re playing a fighter or warrior you have to run past them.

This doesn’t mean “don’t ever play a fighter/warrior/mage/sorcerer” and in fact those classes have some great augments to unlock, just be aware that there’s some rough encounters for them because pawns don’t adequately fill in for their weaknesses.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lufia II is another sequel that made staggering improvements over its extremely basic predecessor. Every aspect - graphics, music, gameplay, pacing, dialogue - is improved to a degree where you'd expect it to have taken 2-3 games' worth of iterative process, and in reality there's just about 1.5 years between them.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Eh at that point, at least for me, sequels never really had the sort of...obviousness that they do these days. Like, I went from Zelda 1 to Adventure of Link to LttP. And I never played the original FF1, but I did play Mystic Quest, then went to western FF2 (actually FF4). It was hard to define what a 'sequel' should be, and tech was changing fast enough that devs could really jump from one concept to another.

There's probably examples of sequels following the pattern very closely, but I guess I just never experienced those in particular as I grew up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morpheus posted:

Eh at that point, at least for me, sequels never really had the sort of...obviousness that they do these days. Like, I went from Zelda 1 to Adventure of Link to LttP. And I never played the original FF1, but I did play Mystic Quest, then went to western FF2 (actually FF4). It was hard to define what a 'sequel' should be, and tech was changing fast enough that devs could really jump from one concept to another.

There's probably examples of sequels following the pattern very closely, but I guess I just never experienced those in particular as I grew up.

Mega Man was pretty rigid in its overall design and format, even when making the leap to 16-bit with X.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The first Dynasty Warriors was a 2D fighter, heck of a genre jump between 1 and 2 where it became the hack and slash game we now know it to be.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Lobok posted:

Mega Man was pretty rigid in its overall design and format, even when making the leap to 16-bit with X.

Ah, true. That's a series I never played, aside from MM3 on the game boy. Still remember blasting that title music as loud as a I could during a flight, loving rocks then, rocks now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lobok posted:

I idly wondered what the greatest sequel ever is. Across all media. And not just great on its own but great as a sequel in that it is so far and above its predecessor(s).

I think you could make a good case for Warcraft 2, a sequel to one of the very first RTS games and a game that was one of the formative games for defining what a real time strategy game even is.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Cythereal posted:

I think you could make a good case for Warcraft 2, a sequel to one of the very first RTS games and a game that was one of the formative games for defining what a real time strategy game even is.

:hai:

I was thinking about how sequels in the world of movies, books, etc. are usually kinda poo poo, and stuff like Aliens or Terminator 2 are rare exceptions. But in videogames it's actually incredibly common for the second game in a series to vastly outclass the first.

Sonic 2. Super Mario 3 (yes that's the second game, come @ me). Fallout 2. Warcraft 2. Diablo 2. Half-Life 2. Borderlands 2. Super Metroid. Street Fighter 2. Mario Kart 64. Jedi Knight. Mega Man 2. Civ 2.

I could probably come up with a bunch more if I thought hard enough. And if you expand it to all sequels, then there's obviously a shitload more.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

Sonic 2. Super Mario 3 (yes that's the second game, come @ me). Fallout 2. Warcraft 2. Diablo 2. Half-Life 2. Borderlands 2. Super Metroid. Street Fighter 2. Mario Kart 64. Jedi Knight. Mega Man 2. Civ 2.

I could probably come up with a bunch more if I thought hard enough. And if you expand it to all sequels, then there's obviously a shitload more.

... uhhhhh...

I mean, don't get me wrong, Metroid 2 was still a better game than Metroid, but at least list the right drat game.

Also, no matter which way you cut it, Super Mario 3 was the third game. Just because we didn't get the original sequel until years later doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Duke Nukem Forever, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Blood 2, Hexen (was Hexen the sequel to Heretic or were they different altogether?)

First person shooters sometimes get lovely sequels.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

credburn posted:

Duke Nukem Forever, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Blood 2, Hexen (was Hexen the sequel to Heretic or were they different altogether?)

First person shooters sometimes get lovely sequels.

Hexen was the sequel to Heretic, which then got its own sequel while Heretic got a seperate direct sequel focusing on the main character of Heretic (and it was a third person adventure game I think?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

This is more a general observation but I will never play any game - or I guess engage with any work in any medium - that 'gets better later'. There are millions of games that are good now. Be fun immediately or gently caress off.