Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

+1 rec for the sandisk. It's a little clunky at first but works well and its a great price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It’s going to be great when the bottles go away and we get the upper rack of our dishwasher back.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Democratic Pirate posted:

It’s going to be great when the bottles go away and we get the upper rack of our dishwasher back.

And the monkey paw curls

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hand washing bottles that then get sanitized in a microwave was my hell for about a year, now I just have to figure out adding baby plates into the dishwasher. None of the sippy cups are dishwasher safe, so those are hand wash.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Renegret posted:

And the monkey paw curls

My dishwasher is actually easier to load today.

Because my oldest isn’t eating after woking up with a fever and signs of strep throat, yippee!

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

harperdc posted:

Hand washing bottles that then get sanitized in a microwave was my hell for about a year, now I just have to figure out adding baby plates into the dishwasher. None of the sippy cups are dishwasher safe, so those are hand wash.

We got one of them fancy sanitizer/drying machines that we still use in the cup stage. Served us well.

Also the formula mixer. Don’t think we needed em at first, glad we ended up getting them.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm so happy everything that I hand wash is big enough for a sponge now. I disliked the Dr. Brown's for that alone.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

If you're cleaning the dr browns stem pieces you should get something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Bottle-Cleaning-Brush-Piece/dp/B077H46GGB/

Makes cleaning it up way easier.

We finally ditched the stem pieces so we just use the dr browns bottles as regular bottles now. The boy doesn't seem to mind so much.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

You know you're a parent when:

But also - if you have Bluey in your top spot on your 2023 wrapped there's a special video from Joff Bush, the composer of Bluey, thanking you for listening to the album lmao

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Yeah, my #2, #3, and #4 songs were all from the Encanto soundtrack.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

We got a special message from Idina Menzel thanking us for liking her music.

Jokes on you, that was all from early 2023. Late this year has been Tangled, Encanto, and the Tarzan soundtrack because daddy controls the bathtime music and Phil Collins went way harder than necessary for that movie.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I didn't get a message because my top artist wasn't Indina Menzel, it was Kristin Bell!

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
My wife and my apple music wrap-ups are mostly Raffi songs, with mine heavily including Sesame Street and They Might Be Giants for kids as well.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I was thinking about it the other day and did it really take Disney like 90 years to put two princesses in a movie? That poo poo's had staying power... put two little girls who weren't even born when it came out in the same room, and the first thing they talk about is who's Elsa and who's Anna.

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

My wife and my apple music wrap-ups are mostly Raffi songs, with mine heavily including Sesame Street and They Might Be Giants for kids as well.

My wife played Sinatra's "Fly Me to the Moon" a lot when the baby was a couple months old, so he's her #1 artist for the year. The kid seemed to like it when we'd play with his feet & hands while the song played.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Technically, The Little Mermaid has 7 princesses :colbert:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

External Organs posted:

Technically, The Little Mermaid has 7 princesses :colbert:

Name 3 without looking it up.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

Name 3 without looking it up.

Adina, Aquatta, Arista...uhh, poo poo! Alanna! Adella?

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

we've been experimenting with bottles because babb #2 would not latch to the dr brown ones (which is the only thing oldest baby used -- she was a NICU baby and that's what they had).

She did latch onto the Philips Avent natural bottle yesterday but didn't get much out of it. We're going to go up a nipple size and see if that fixes it.

NICU babb never figured out breastfeeding and that was super frustrating and sad for my wife; babb 2 is a great breastfeeder but we need to get bottles going for when my wife goes back to work after next week and I'm on paternity leave (and when daycare starts)

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

This was me in 2022

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

My dishwasher is actually easier to load today.

Because my oldest isn’t eating after woking up with a fever and signs of strep throat, yippee!

Nice

For us, the top rack became a tangled mess of strangely shaped kiddie straw cups and bowls that made everything worse.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
My six year old is obsessed with The Tain by The Decemberists. An 18 minute epic that he demands whenever he gets to choose a song. That put The Decemberists in my top spot, and I certainly don't mind.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Hmm yes I wonder about how ‘Minecraft Style’ was my #4 most played song this year. Definitely can’t be related to putting an echo dot in the 6 year old’s room??? :confused:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Farquar posted:

My six year old is obsessed with The Tain by The Decemberists. An 18 minute epic that he demands whenever he gets to choose a song. That put The Decemberists in my top spot, and I certainly don't mind.

Nice. Monolord is my top artist because Empress Rising was the 2yo's pick for naptime music for quite a while.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Somehow this seems about right...

Emily Spinach fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 1, 2023

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I think if you leave a song on loop until you've lost all sense of reality or self it only counts as a single play. Otherwise Old McDonald Had a Farm would be on top of mine

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
If that were the case Baby Shark wouldn't have gotten credit for all those billions of YouTube from probably about 100 toddlers.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Farquar posted:

Hell yeah. We saw them at a festival when my kid was 2 and years later she still talks about the giant whale that ate everyone on stage.

My top song was Sweet Little Lie by Nils Frahm, which, you guessed it, is their sleep soundtrack.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Emily Spinach posted:

If that were the case Baby Shark wouldn't have gotten credit for all those billions of YouTube from probably about 100 toddlers.

This can always be fixed by swapping to the Leo Moracchioli version, especially if your kid isn't necessarily a heavy metal fan. They turn away pretty fast, or you end up with one that enjoys it.

That aside, at (9 this montj):
As we give her private lessons for violin (which is working well) + take her to symphonies, her music tastes are all over. Kids concerts (Lori Berkner & orchestral ones) are absolutely major hits. I'd sum it up as classical + anything after the 1950s. Somehow skipping rap, disliking classic rock and yet loving Macklemore, Cake, Van Canto but still puts bluey & totoro music on repeat and loFi often. She's becoming a total art and music lover, even taking her to nutcracker ballet she was in love with the performance. To balance it with her need for tons of physical activity has been harder.

It's fun to celebrate all enrichment for kids, they really grow into their own appreciation :3:

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Dec 1, 2023

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Farquar posted:

Oh that’s spectacular, what a random yet excellent thing to get obsessed with.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Ok just so you know, at school we don't say people are 'a salty little pisser with a cock in their kisser', got it?"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I made a playlist of kids music and marked it with "exclude from my taste profile" so it wouldn't wreck my suggestions. I think that also prevented it from showing up in the year end wrapped summary.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
OK kinda stupid question because I don't remember:

Youngest is 3.5. Been having a quasi regression for potty training, specifically pooping. Day care has demanded he is in pull ups until it's resolved.

We got him back to not having accidents with their help by them throwing him on the potty more frequently. That's great.

But now they're saying that when he wipes, he doesn't do a very good job. Either forgets to try, which is obviously a problem, or only does a half job of it.

And I guess... yeah? He's 3.5?

Should he be doing a great job by now or are they expecting too much from him?

Oldest is 6 so I honestly don't remember at what point she was mostly capable of wiping on her own, but day care never gave us any grief about it so I don't know if she was doing better or if this teacher just has different expectations.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Ah-ah-ah

quote:

Aquatta

Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah

quote:

Arista

Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah

quote:

...uhh, poo poo!

Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah?

quote:

Alanna!

Ah-ah-ah

quote:

Adella?

Ah-ah-ah

And then there is the youngest in her musical debut...

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

DaveSauce posted:

But now they're saying that when he wipes, he doesn't do a very good job. Either forgets to try, which is obviously a problem, or only does a half job of it.

And I guess... yeah? He's 3.5?

Should he be doing a great job by now or are they expecting too much from him?

Oldest is 6 so I honestly don't remember at what point she was mostly capable of wiping on her own, but day care never gave us any grief about it so I don't know if she was doing better or if this teacher just has different expectations.

3.5 and "recently" potty-trained seems unreasonable to expect good wiping. Forgetting entirely is another issue, but I wouldn't expect super clean until 4 or 5. Our 5yo still sometimes does a half-rear end job, and we find skidmarks in his underwear.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Our daycare would absolutely not expect the kid to wipe themselves at that age. My kid is almost 4 and only recently (a month or so) started using potty to poop. Used it maybe a handful of times to poop at the school. The teachers are super supportive and even calculate in the accidents period when transition is happening.

Reading these issues with arbitrary rules different childcare providers enforce makes me sad for all the parents affected. There should be some national standards and baselines, especially at the prices they command. I’m, obviously, talking about the US system, and having intimate experience with 2 other nations’ approach as well, the US version sucks big beach balls.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Speaking of Disney and Frozen in particular: my last weekend was pretty torrid as my wife was away and I had to take both kids to their suite of (separate) activities both days without any help. We did get to kick back and watch Frozen 2 on Saturday evening though. And yet again I was mocked by my 12-year-old for getting emotional.

:cheeky: "Dad, why do you always cry at films?"
:) "I only cry at happy/positive bits - I can't help it, and Disney and Pixar are really good at manipulating your emotions. It might be an animated film but it's great cinema and I get into it."
:cheeky: *Unconvinced, as demonstrated by wry mocking expression*

She's been transitioning in to cynical teenager mode for a little while now (a whole post in and of itself really - hugs and kisses are now strictly rationed :( ), and when there's an emotional bit in a film I can feel her looking over at me to see if I've teared up at all, so she can laugh at me. It kind of amuses me and I don't particularly mind, though. :unsmith:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
OK good to know I'm not totally crazy. I seem to recall that our oldest was still not getting fully clean well in to 5, but trying to remember what she was like at his age is drat near impossible. Feels like it was forever ago.

The teacher has been kinda condescending about it, so we've been racking our brains trying to figure out if we're way behind on this, or if she's just got a different approach/set of expectations to this.

She's a fairly new teacher at our day care so I dunno. I wonder if she's used to older kids or something.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
I cherish the few and random times my sixteen year old will hug me or lean their head on my shoulder when we sit next to each other. it's very sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My son keeps asking if I want to play with him while I'm playing with him and I'm not really sure what to say

"I am" doesn't seem to be a satisfactory answer for some reason