Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Bruce is one dumb fool. Everyone knows I got an idol and are going to try and flush it, you know what I'll be safe! Not only will I be safe, but I will throw my vote on someone else to they don't have to revote!

Should get a season with Bruce & Special Agent Phillip to return for no reason.

Yeah, truly an incredibly stupid move. You know explicitly that the vote is going against you and one other person. If you decide not to vote for the other person, you put yourself at a massive risk. You can't BOTH vote for a third party in that situation AND try to keep your idol. You just can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Fast Luck posted:

But maybe he is referring back to past seasons.

This is how I've always taken it

You castaways are part of a great tradition

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

If they don't at least pretend to target Austin next week he can idol his way to fire making and uhhhh guys I'm not sure that's where you want Austin to be?

Big Spike in Katurah visibility this week, and then she doesn't even get the majority of the credit on taking out her nemesis Bruce. Purely from an ~editing~ perspective my prediction is we're about to see Reba implode and get Emily as a winner, Katurah second place and Jake trapped in the goat position ala Romeo or Owen.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Jeff, who the gently caress eats a scone at a carnival?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Never leave the home without one

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

ninjahedgehog posted:

That was a drat bizarre Dr Oz crudites moment

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I rewound thinking maybe he was just being random as a point, but no, just a bizarre carnival scene.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

ninjahedgehog posted:

https://www.thefair.com/vendors/fisher-scones/

he grew up in Washington state and thought they were at fairs everywhere

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Propaganda Machine posted:

No, this is dumb. It's interesting that everybody thinks Julie is such a jury threat, but Emily KNEW last round that she needed to make a move. She got shut down by her boys and went back to them anyway. I was almost on her train but at this point she 100% deserves to lose.

Julie's a jury threat because she hasn't done anything to piss anyone off. Sure, she hasn't done any big moves, but she's kept Reba together and been a great mom to everyone, with a good social game. She's been on the right side of votes without creating waves. With some casts, having no "cons" is what you need to win.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Leatherhead posted:

Big Spike in Katurah visibility this week, and then she doesn't even get the majority of the credit on taking out her nemesis Bruce.

It's because she had nothing to do with him getting voted out

Power Rankings:
I think this is the only time I've ever just reposted the same rankings with the only difference being to take who got voted out and remove them

Dee
Austin
Drew
Julie

*a big gap*

Emily

Jake

Katurah

Thought about maybe swapping Austin and Dee or Drew and Julie but I just don't think there was enough for me to change that opinion. I think Katurah is a lock for the final 3 at this point unless the Reba 4 actually stay 4 strong all the way to the end.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SteveVizsla posted:

Julie's a jury threat because she hasn't done anything to piss anyone off. Sure, she hasn't done any big moves, but she's kept Reba together and been a great mom to everyone, with a good social game. She's been on the right side of votes without creating waves. With some casts, having no "cons" is what you need to win.
But Julie was talking about how she had betrayed and hurt people this episode! She was crying about it and it was a storyline.

I've come a little bit around to Emily's play this episode. Bruce/Jake/Keturah just could not get anything done at all, and nobody on Reba was ready to move on until Bruce was gone. By expediting things by one round by removing Bruce's idol she now has a lot more people that could be ready to play with her.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

It's because she had nothing to do with him getting voted out

Oh for sure; I'm saying if she was the eventual season winner the editing team would try to give her credit.

Leatherhead fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 30, 2023

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don't like Emily very much (it's INSANE people find Bruce annoying but are fine with her lol), but tricking Bruce like that was a pretty choice play. If she makes it to the final vote I could see her winning over almost anyone. I'm always bad at gauging how much the tribe likes people, though.

fadam fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 1, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Bruce is way more annoying at this stage than Emily. Like, to live around

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

fadam posted:

I don't like Emily very much (it's INSANE people find Bruce annoying but are fine with her lol), but tricking Bruce like that was a pretty choice play. If she makes it to the final vote I could see her winning over almost anyone. I'm always bad at gauging how much the tribe likes people, though.

She's autistic. A lot of the things people think are annoying about her, she's not trying to be annoying; to use the big scene in Episode 1, where she pointed out that they *weren't* all equal because Bruce had been on the show briefly before (I'm probably going to describe this terribly) she was trying to make sure others didn't fall for his bs and understood that he had an advantage. Truth and honesty tend to be a big thing with autism. It's also why she was pretty paranoid at first, because she was having a hard time adjusting to a game where people do lie a lot.

Bruce is just an rear end who thinks he's fantastic.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SteveVizsla posted:

Emily at least had the right idea with Julie

emily carefully maneuvered herself into a power position for this vote and decided to make a big move and the move that she decided to make was to strengthen the alliance she isn't in by ensuring that the only person outside of it with any leverage would go home

i cannot possibly imagine how anyone outside the 4 thinks they are going to win, or why they keep doing this

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The vibe of the episode was that everyone left actually thinks they're in the Belo alliance except Jake.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

cock hero flux posted:

i cannot possibly imagine how anyone outside the 4 thinks they are going to win, or why they keep doing this

They're playing for 6th 5th 4th or hoping production bails them out

The rebas didn't get swapped apart so they've had their poo poo together all game

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Fast Luck posted:

I got a good chuckle when someone in this thread pointed that out several seasons ago and now always think about it.

This makes me so happy, as I am that someone, and thought I was all alone on my hobby horse.

maybeadracula posted:

This is how I've always taken it

You castaways are part of a great tradition

I'd buy this if he said it for the first immunity challenge, but he doesn’t!

fadam posted:

As we got shots of (almost?) everyone downright gleeful at Bruce's departure, I was thinking how impressive it is to be universally despised for just being annoying. He's not some Russell Hantz supervillain.

cock hero flux posted:

They all think they're 5th? I guess?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SteveVizsla posted:

She's autistic. .
Im sorry if i missed it but has she come out and said she is?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They’re playing such a bad game. You dumbasses keep Bruce to the end if he’s so annoying!

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Has Emily even done anything annoying past like episode 2

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

obliriovrons posted:

Has Emily even done anything annoying past like episode 2

i thought she's been playing a strong if quiet social and strategic game, i don't really see how she comes off as annoying

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

njsykora posted:

The vibe of the episode was that everyone left actually thinks they're in the Belo alliance except Jake.

This is for sure what is happening. Most of Belo never went to tribal premerge (only Kendra and Brando went) and never figured out how to trust each other or work together. So they ended up thinking they are in an alliance with Reba. And they keep holding on hoping that Reba will finally crack and drag them to the end.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I really don’t understand that vote. Can they not count? Or does Emily think she is actually part of the Reba alliance?

Her fake plan was way better then her “big move”. Now is there anything to stop Reba from just picking everyone else off now that they are the majority?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Demon_Corsair posted:

I really don’t understand that vote. Can they not count? Or does Emily think she is actually part of the Reba alliance?

Her fake plan was way better then her “big move”. Now is there anything to stop Reba from just picking everyone else off now that they are the majority?

My only guess is that her plan is that she thinks the Reba 4 will have to turn on each other before final 4 (which to be fair is historically accurate) and that she's going to be able to claim how she masterminded their fall, all while avoiding getting caught out herself.

I suppose to be fair the edit seemed to give her the credit for getting Bruce to not play his idol.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

Now is there anything to stop Reba from just picking everyone else off now that they are the majority?

The pressing reality that it’s 3 to the end, not 4? But if Drew or whoever is happy with the 4th place money then no

I’ll say Austin wins final 4 immunity, takes his girlfriend Dee, and Mama J and Drew go to fire. Yawn.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

does anyone else think the show is maybe a little too overproduced at this point? and not just with the editing, half the cast are trying to do bits or Survivor Moments any chance they can. and everyone's always crying

has it been like this for awhile and i'm only just now noticing or is this season a step up?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Endless Trash posted:

The pressing reality that it’s 3 to the end, not 4? But if Drew or whoever is happy with the 4th place money then no

I’ll say Austin wins final 4 immunity, takes his girlfriend Dee, and Mama J and Drew go to fire. Yawn.

Yeah but you don't have to vote someone out at final 4, so they don't need to turn on each other. Whoever wins immunity just gets to pick whoever their lowest threat is.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CODChimera posted:

does anyone else think the show is maybe a little too overproduced at this point? and not just with the editing, half the cast are trying to do bits or Survivor Moments any chance they can. and everyone's always crying

has it been like this for awhile and i'm only just now noticing or is this season a step up?

It's been overproduced since probably Samoa when producers found it entertaining to watch Russel constantly finding hidden immunity idols. Since they've gone way overboard on secret twists to control the game, to the point where they'd do things like plant idols where Ben always did his confessionals and included a sign telling him to dig. Even in the "new era" when they've bragged about bringing the game back to basics, it's still just as full of twists as before. Brando said that he actually found an advantage at the merge feast, and planned to read it when he got back to camp alone, and producers came and intervened and took it away from him. I guess he wasn't part of production's long term plan.

It reminds me of Jeff talking about his conversation with Mike White regarding his plans for season 41. If I remember correctly, it was an evolution of the fire tokens from Winners at War, with far more complicated rules. He asked Mike what he thought, who said, "It's interesting, but is if fun?" And Jeff agreed it wasn't fun, and scaled back his plans. But he still forced in all those confusing prisoner's dilemma segments, shot in the dark, and the turn back time.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

lmao
Bruce surging to all-time great character with this stupid idol feint.

Incredible dudes montage.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

CODChimera posted:

The longer runtime this season isn't applied consistently. Sometimes it shows us more things, sometimes it just makes each thing longer, if that makes sense. I agree with you this episode felt heavy on the bits and crying, but I think they were just longer segments than usual.

I wish they'd either way overproduce it like The Genius's editing gimmickry, or step back down from the slo-mo and flashbacks and stuff. Not sure anyone should take my advice though, I think they should've kept working on fire tokens.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Im sorry if i missed it but has she come out and said she is?

I thought she had, I googled it after the first episode and found some stuff, but now I'm not finding those things? Hopefully we get more interviews from her in the future.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
The plan was terrible, strategically. It was great tactically, though. So it's either up to people being bad at adaptable strategy generally, or under survivor stress.

I think a lot of them were just thinking that getting Bruce out IS the plan because it WAS the plan and haha we can finally do it... even if it's a terrible idea now.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I think the increased emotion in the modern era is at least partly because they have real people who are also big fans and so have feelings and expectations about survivor rather than a lot of mactors punching the clock on a gig

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CODChimera posted:

I think the newer players are just soft.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SteveVizsla posted:

I thought she had, I googled it after the first episode and found some stuff, but now I'm not finding those things? Hopefully we get more interviews from her in the future.

I could've also swore she mentioned it at some point too earlier on.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Brando said that he actually found an advantage at the merge feast, and planned to read it when he got back to camp alone, and producers came and intervened and took it away from him. I guess he wasn't part of production's long term plan.

Brando didn't make the merge. At the swap, he found something inside his buff, and hid it instead of reading it. His guess was that he could have influenced the tribal makeups for the swap if he'd read it, but why the producers thought anyone would immediately announce that they found an advantage is anyone's guess.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SteveVizsla posted:

She's autistic. A lot of the things people think are annoying about her, she's not trying to be annoying; to use the big scene in Episode 1, where she pointed out that they *weren't* all equal because Bruce had been on the show briefly before (I'm probably going to describe this terribly) she was trying to make sure others didn't fall for his bs and understood that he had an advantage. Truth and honesty tend to be a big thing with autism. It's also why she was pretty paranoid at first, because she was having a hard time adjusting to a game where people do lie a lot.

Bruce is just an rear end who thinks he's fantastic.

She's never said she is, and I think one has to be very careful about ascribing diagnoses to people randomly off armchair psychology.

She's just blunt, and maybe she might be other things, but I'm not assuming anything unless she's outright said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I think the newer players are just soft.

Could be the shorter game? Though I guess that could go either way. Starving for longer would chip away even more at emotional defences, more tears. Having less time to get your bits on camera would mean doing them more often to compensate.