Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Huh, I finished like 20 minutes ago, did I beat the final boss pre or post nerf? I didn't notice anything downloading or updating.... :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

Huh, I finished like 20 minutes ago, did I beat the final boss pre or post nerf? I didn't notice anything downloading or updating.... :v:

If you close and reopen the game, does it update? If it does, you did it pre nerf.

watchedclock
Mar 23, 2023
Honestly I had way more trouble with the second to last fight than the last one (both pre-nerf)

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Nothing updates so I guess it was post-nerf. Still, I am not sure if it would have changed things much, considering I was lucky enough to immediately pull the big nukes for R Ish, N Clair, W Don and W Ryoshu and stagger her on the first turn of her third phase, which is what was nerfed, right?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

Nothing updates so I guess it was post-nerf. Still, I am not sure if it would have changed things much, considering I was lucky enough to immediately pull the big nukes for R Ish, N Clair, W Don and W Ryoshu and stagger her on the first turn of her third phase, which is what was nerfed, right?

I'm assuming everything got nerfed, but that was the problematic part for me anyway. And yeah, the penultimate fight left me with 2 or 3 sinners left alive, but I still cleared it first time. And that was pre nerf.

I'm really curious how they're going to do both Captain Ahab and GasHarpoon as identities, if they do. Captain Ahab redirecting attacks on defense and forcing other crew members to attack alongside her would be loving wild on a identity. And I don't even know how that's going to work with GasHarpoon using her own crew as harpoons.

Marluxia fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 30, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I haven't played really since right before the summer event. Is Canto 5 going to kick my rear end if I don't have my team uptie IV'd?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

There's a few difficulty spikes that can catch you by surprise, one pre-dungeon in canto 5, a few in the dungeon properly.

Uptie IV is less important than levels imo, make sure your sinners are level 40. There are a few identities where uptie IV is huge, but uptie III is generally enough.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I haven't played really since right before the summer event. Is Canto 5 going to kick my rear end if I don't have my team uptie IV'd?

No, excepting for a couple IDs/EGOs there are only a few that really want uptie 4. There are a couple of difficulty spikes where being closer to level 40 helps but generally it's not too bad. Might have to retry a couple fights to learn the gimmicks, but once you get it isn't too bad.

Not sure how bad the dungeon is post-nerf though. Only got through one of the fights after losing two sinners which is somewhat unusual, but that was pre-nerf.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

It worked out, tho I got on stream after the difficulty patch was already in place.

I feel like I would have been fine either way; I was juggling Staggers, sure, but it's not like I was dying. :shrug:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

If you knew how to direct pierce damage to Sinner Identities that could take it and had healing EGO it was pretty drat easy. Chains of Others mvp against all boss fights forever if you do a scouting run to see what turns you need to hit it before. Notably (second to last boss) if you use it on Ahab with a pierce resisting Meursault Identity to clash the thing that puts the mark you can straight up ignore her the next turn so you can bumrush Queequeg or finish off Starbuck

As for the Identity discussion I don't think we're getting an Ahab Identity, if anything we'll probably get "Starbuck" Ishmael (if she ended up inside the whale) instead. At least, not Gasharpoon, but if we do it'll be like Spicebush Yi Sang, and thus fairly different from the original boss anyway.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 30, 2023

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
You know, only Hong Lu would describe stomach acid raining from the sky, eating through his clothes and into his flesh as "prickly"

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I think the story established a pretty clear space for Ishmael ID in the vein of N Sinclair - an ID that isn't really a variation of a character in the story, but one that represents an alternate, personal path for Ishmael - "Ahab"/"Obsession" Ishmael that didn't join Limbus Company (or joined and... somehow had far worse relationship with other sinners and Dante) and had noone to pull her from the brink of her obsession, so she became fully absorbed by her desire for vengeance to the point of becoming basically another Ahab.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I actually really like Canto V, I think it has a strong story and themes, and while the dungeon isn't as mind-bending or top tier as Canto IV, it's still really fun.

Credits spoiler: My god, she's done it. Ryoshu has trained a seagull.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 30, 2023

Countzer
May 27, 2022
Canto V doesn't reach the peaks of Canto IV, but was may more consistently good throughout. The resolution of the story left me rather wanting (then again, to expect every canto to give such a great emotional catharsis as Canto IV is rather unreasonable), but the boss fights just keep getting better, both mechanics and presentation-wise.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Countzer posted:

Canto V doesn't reach the peaks of Canto IV, but was may more consistently good throughout. The resolution of the story left me rather wanting (then again, to expect every canto to give such a great emotional catharsis as Canto IV is rather unreasonable), but the boss fights just keep getting better, both mechanics and presentation-wise.
Mmmm, and it's also very much a story where each Canto is dealing with it's own sinner and problem, but you're not going to get immediate catharsis from everything because it's in the context of the greater story. I like how Yi Sang has changed from Canto IV, and I'm excited to see where Ishmael goes. Sometimes living is about enduring and improving, you know?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

PetraCore posted:

Mmmm, and it's also very much a story where each Canto is dealing with it's own sinner and problem, but you're not going to get immediate catharsis from everything because it's in the context of the greater story. I like how Yi Sang has changed from Canto IV, and I'm excited to see where Ishmael goes. Sometimes living is about enduring and improving, you know?

Too bad Gregor and Rodya's Canto happened so early that they basically didn't even get any catharsis whatsoever.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Marluxia posted:

Too bad Gregor and Rodya's Canto happened so early that they basically didn't even get any catharsis whatsoever.

Given the structure of the Divine Comedy and the setup established in Limbus thus far, I fully expect each sinner to get 3 personal Cantos by the end.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Marluxia posted:

Yeah, that's my biggest criticism of Limbus Company's story, I think. I understand the intention to drop 3 Cantos at once and show off how that works, but it means Greg and Rodya got shortchanged and their Cantos are all set-up for larger story stuff with very little personal revelations for them. Sinclair's Canto is pretty good despite being from season 1, so I think if I were suggesting an alternative story pace with all that in mind, I'd have had the game release with Gregor and Rodya's Cantos but not Sinclair's, so they both get more focus and complexity.

Oh well, though. I enjoyed their Cantos, but seeing literally every other Canto past them is like. Huh.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Yeah that dungeon was pretty great, the fights were cool. I don't feel like song hit quite like the one in the last Canto and I don't feel Kroner's boss theme has been beat just yet, but the one here was great too and I like the cinematic finishes at the end of the boss fight we've been getting since Canto IV.

Just wanting to check if I understood the abnos correctly since I assume we'll be Round 2ing them in the next RR:

First: Make sure you don't get hit with the Parasite debuff because you can't get rid of it, unlike Poison. Make sure you kill the slimes because (presumably, I did not see it) if the Walking Pearl gets enough stacks of the buff they give when it kills them it can use an ultimate skill.

Second: Uhhh, light all the candles, the damage the boss does on the unclashable skills is minor. Attack boss when all candles are lit and attacks can be clashed. Question: why do candles gain Shield once fully lit if the idea is you leave them alone? I assume it's to give them some resistance against AoEs?

Third: UHHH, direct any excess attacks into the Fluorescent body part of the boss, once it spawns the ground bulbs try to kill them in one turn each to redirect the big attack it uses each turn. Do both of those things until you win. Anything else?

e.:

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, that's my biggest criticism of Limbus Company's story, I think. I understand the intention to drop 3 Cantos at once and show off how that works, but it means Greg and Rodya got shortchanged and their Cantos are all set-up for larger story stuff with very little personal revelations for them. Sinclair's Canto is pretty good despite being from season 1, so I think if I were suggesting an alternative story pace with all that in mind, I'd have had the game release with Gregor and Rodya's Cantos but not Sinclair's, so they both get more focus and complexity.

Oh well, though. I enjoyed their Cantos, but seeing literally every other Canto past them is like. Huh.

Big True

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

KazigluBey posted:

Yeah that dungeon was pretty great, the fights were cool. I don't feel like song hit quite like the one in the last Canto and I don't feel Kroner's boss theme has been beat just yet, but the one here was great too and I like the cinematic finishes at the end of the boss fight we've been getting since Canto IV.

Just wanting to check if I understood the abnos correctly since I assume we'll be Round 2ing them in the next RR:

First: Make sure you don't get hit with the Parasite debuff because you can't get rid of it, unlike Poison. Make sure you kill the slimes because (presumably, I did not see it) if the Walking Pearl gets enough stacks of the buff they give when it kills them it can use an ultimate skill.

Second: Uhhh, light all the candles, the damage the boss does on the unclashable skills is minor. Attack boss when all candles are lit and attacks can be clashed. Question: why do candles gain Shield once fully lit if the idea is you leave them alone? I assume it's to give them some resistance against AoEs?

Third: UHHH, direct any excess attacks into the Fluorescent body part of the boss, once it spawns the ground bulbs try to kill them in one turn each to redirect the big attack it uses each turn. Do both of those things until you win. Anything else?

e.:

Big True

The Walking Pearl started doing the big aoe which ended up murdering my party when I underestimated it after I broke the pearl, but wasn't able to kill it. I think the aoe skill comes out after you break the pearl, not how many slime stack it has?

For the Skin Prophet, the candles actually starts attacking when you light them. The shields do seem kind of pointless, yes. Presumably it's so if you're not clashing them, but you are still attacking them, you don't just stop their attacks entirely by tapping them, you have to make sure you have enough damage to break them. But yeah, you got the mechanism down, get the candles down to 1, you can't do anything about the attacks the prophet is outputting anyway, and then smash it down before it snuffs out the candles again.

You basically got it down for the Dream-Devouring Siltcurrent.

e: I'm counting four potential identities left in canto 5? Big Brother, Starbuck, Captain Ahab, and her ego, GasHarpoon?

Maaaaaaybe Pip? Pip kind of got some unique mechanism on GasHarpoon, despite never showing up in a fight?

Marluxia fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 30, 2023

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

PetraCore posted:

On the plus side, we're getting more sub-cantos from here on out and that means more room for character moments that aren't either shitposts or direct foreshadowing for the next main chapter. Not that the Hell's Chicken jokes or Ishmael's beach freakout weren't great character beats, but Rodya and Greg could always use more meaty content.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
So, what are the current must-have S3 (or post-spicebush S2 I guess) IDs? Also, is Faust Regret her new best?

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Marluxia posted:

The Walking Pearl started doing the big aoe which ended up murdering my party when I underestimated it after I broke the pearl, but wasn't able to kill it. I think the aoe skill comes out after you break the pearl, not how many slime stack it has?

I think that's coming from the passive that states it changes behavior once you get it below 10% HP. Just one of those moments where you've got to carefully time things to nuke it down at the end or use EGO resources to clash with the AOEs.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Abno #3: I muddled through somehow, but I'm not sure how best to counteract the constant Paralysis before you break the fluorescence.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Google Jeb Bush posted:

So, what are the current must-have S3 (or post-spicebush S2 I guess) IDs? Also, is Faust Regret her new best?

None, so far really. Middle Don and Meursault is kind of amusing to build an envy team around, but W Don is still too powerful that it's just a nice to have ID for Don.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Solitair posted:

Abno #3: I muddled through somehow, but I'm not sure how best to counteract the constant Paralysis before you break the fluorescence.

That's more or less it, yeah. you don't get the status effect that counters the bind/paralyze UNTIL you break the fluorescence. Even the event that happens during the fight makes the flotsam easier to kill, and those destroyed flotsams shaves a solid % off Dream-Devouring Siltcurrent's fluorescence body part.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I saw a lot of people on Twitter questioning why the teaser ID is going to Heathcliff and not Outis, which really strikes me as a surface level reading of the character in question. Outis wants to go home but can't for reasons we don't know yet, but I'd hazard a guess from the Odyssey that there is, in fact, a place she could call home, and people that want to see her. Queequeg has no home to go back to, she burned all her ties with the Middle and is constantly running from her past, she accepts as a consequence of her past self and past actions that she won't ever be able to settle down in one place, and I think home to her is standing on a boat watching the sunset... or standing next to Ishmael. Even then, she's clearly got her deeper struggles past that.

It did make me think it'd be fun to get The Way Home EGO for Outis sometime in a Walpurgis Night event, although that might be a bit on the nose.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Google Jeb Bush posted:

s3 wise both banners have been kinda bad, 1st is some poise thing and 2nd has a gimmick that relies on both envy a.res and getting a counter off with no damage mitigation whatsoever. Regret Faust is great but there's arguments to be made for the others depending on what you're fighting.

post spicebush meta ids of note: W Ryoshu amazing charge ID with an S2 that's better than many S3s. Has a rare offensive Slash type that can actually clash.

Dieci Rodion: Also amazing. Has no one completely busted thing but does a lot of things and is really good at all of them. Hits hard, sturdy, shields herself, applies Sinking, she's great.

there's other good IDs but imo those two are the standouts

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 30, 2023

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
This canto loving ruled, start to finish. The final boss and that theme was just an absolute all-time banger.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
So... anyone notice that Final Boss Ahab looks quite a bit like the Claw all the way back from Lobotomy Corporation? Also, seems like she's the one annoyed with the "ticking of the clock" than any of the pirates, so she's also Hook?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Yinlock posted:

post spicebush meta ids of note: W Ryoshu amazing charge ID with an S2 that's better than many S3s. Has a rare offensive Slash type that can actually clash.

"but... chef ryoshu is already really great...?"

trip report: lol, charge team just keeps getting bangers

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Marluxia posted:

I'm counting four potential identities left in canto 5? Big Brother, Starbuck, Captain Ahab, and her ego, GasHarpoon?

Maaaaaaybe Pip? Pip kind of got some unique mechanism on GasHarpoon, despite never showing up in a fight?

Maybe a voyage Ishmael ID? Also, IDs for the various mooks.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Google Jeb Bush posted:

"but... chef ryoshu is already really great...?"

trip report: lol, charge team just keeps getting bangers

some lunatic was like "what if we made all of W Don's numbers even bigger".

e: hong lu also got a W 00 and it is of course not bad because God forbid PM's favorite child has a single bad ID ever. not as much of a team player as he seems but he can survive the first two floors of md2 which is all i ask of him

Marluxia posted:

e: I'm counting four potential identities left in canto 5? Big Brother, Starbuck, Captain Ahab, and her ego, GasHarpoon?

I dunno if Ishmael's getting an ID because Ahab doesn't fit at all for obvious reasons but there's nobody else left, Outis would probably get Ahab if anyone. Starbuck is probably gonna be the 00 in the next banner

the 3rd abno is ridiculous but a straight-up slugfest like that is rare in limbus

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 1, 2023

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Something I noticed that is pretty funny is that Pip is definitely an actual child so was he just. The only crew member that wasn't a Fixer?? It's not like child labor in the City is surprising, but Fixers specifically don't allow that, and Ahab makes a big deal of telling flashback Ishmael all the crew members are Fixers, so.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

PetraCore posted:

Something I noticed that is pretty funny is that Pip is definitely an actual child so was he just. The only crew member that wasn't a Fixer?? It's not like child labor in the City is surprising, but Fixers specifically don't allow that, and Ahab makes a big deal of telling flashback Ishmael all the crew members are Fixers, so.

iirc the flashback implies that you qualify as a fixer from serving on the vessel, not that you need to be one. ahab's only condition for employment was "doesn't get seasick" because she needed more bodies and presumably people with more experience wouldn't fall for her bullshit or would mutiny. her preferred victims seem to be either rubes who had no idea what they were getting into or people with nowhere else to go

also possible is that she just grabbed the kid off the street and made some big speech about how this child bravely volunteered to hunt the great evil, oh how dare the whale force this child into danger, everyone we must kill that fukken whale to end this tyranny

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 1, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yinlock posted:

iirc the flashback implies that you qualify as a fixer from serving on the vessel, not that you need to be one. ahab's only condition for employment was "doesn't get seasick" because she needed more bodies and presumably people with more experience wouldn't fall for her bullshit or would mutiny. her preferred victims seem to be either rubes who had no idea what they were getting into or people with nowhere else to go

also possible is that she just grabbed the kid off the street and made some big speech about how this child bravely volunteered to hunt the great evil, oh how dare the whale force this child into danger, everyone we must kill that fukken whale to end this tyranny

Yeah it sounds like it was a post-employment benefits package sort of offer. You do this difficult job and you get to fast-track your fixer application with Ahab as a reference and the hunting of the Pallid Whale as a proof of capability.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yinlock posted:

Yeah, given Pip wanting to be 'rich, and a landlord, and you'd better pay your rent on time!' and the fact he was desperate enough to sign on with the Pequod, I assume he lost his home due to landlord related fuckery and as a literal kid his takeaway was 'landlords are really powerful and this would never happen to a landlord'. Bad news, kid, the City is landlords all the way down. Not that, uh, not that he ever got a chance to learn much else after joining the crew.

EDIT: Also Queequeg is two for two on cults, huh. Well, the Middle is a Syndicate, not a cult, but I mean, she joined one group of tightly knit lovebombing maniacs as a disenfranchised person, got really into it to fit in, earn her place, and because it felt good, had a revelation before she fully got promoted to Big Sister, left and went to extreme measures to try to get the Middle to accept her leaving, and ran right into the welcoming arms of Ahab's cult mentality. Which is how someone like Ahab works! Get hooks in people that are drifting, vulnerable, or actively on the run from something.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 1, 2023

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Man I wish I could back and do that final boss again without having to go through the entire dungeon. :shepface:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Man I wish I could back and do that final boss again without having to go through the entire dungeon. :shepface:
It was actually a really fun final boss fight but man I'm not doing the entire dungeon again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

wasn't nearly as bad as ch 4's dungeon, or ch 3's stupid spiral