Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I would probably have given Dio era Sabbath more attention over the years if they had a different name. It just didn’t really have what I was looking for in Sabbath but it’s really good.

As good as the Dio stuff is, if the Ozzy era never existed I don’t think stoner/doom would be anything like it is now. But I guess that’s obvious :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

CornHolio posted:

Dio Black Sabbath > Ozzy Black Sabbath, fight me

I’m on your team.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Ozzy got hard carried by the rest of Sabbath. And then by Randy. And then by etc.

In other words, Ozzy is a one-talent rear end-clown, whose one talent is identifying people with actual musical talent and hitching his wagon to them.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
Saw Dozer on Monday night - they haven't toured Australia in 19 years and they were seriously energetic - they must have been freaking insane on stage when they were younger. What was even more surprising was a disproportionate number of middle-aged women grooving & rocking out in the crowd who had clearly been Dozer fans for decades; the venue had a really fun vibe to it.

Jack Harlon & the Dead Crows supported (of course they did) which will be the last time I'll be able to catch them before they focus on writing their next album throughout 2024.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I'm going on Friday and probably Saturday :) Pretty excited, although not really for dozer.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
The new Green Lung album is such good poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpfcWG9hocI

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oh this is glorious heathen prog

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
Does anyone know if the north american church of misery tour got cancelled? there was a show in Austin Texas I was planning on going to and I can't find anything about it now.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Finally saw bongzilla. Holy moly

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They played a trailer for Northwest Terror Fest at the show I was at tonight and one of the bands listed was Giant Squid!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Jack harlon slayed as always and dozer were pretty fun! Way more jammy and engaging in person.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5iLT7qalJc

Thread appropriate? No? YES!

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Nov 12, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Ingmar terdman posted:

Finally saw bongzilla. Holy moly

Great band, great show, living in Madison in the aughts truly spoiled me in giving access to see them a buncha times (and eventually working alongside one of the band in a non-musical industry, super nice standup guys). Would love to see them again now that it's been 15 years since i saw them together as a band. Any notes? Did they do a longass set as is the custom?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Here's a great live video of jack harlon and the dead crows from the recent tour.

E: actually from early this year but it's good

https://youtu.be/ucVOBg78xqY?si=F28dVMuLZzV-tfNg

Laserface fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Nov 13, 2023

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Laserface posted:

Here's a great live video of jack harlon and the dead crows from the recent tour.

E: actually from early this year but it's good

https://youtu.be/ucVOBg78xqY?si=F28dVMuLZzV-tfNg

Yo that was great. They only played a few of my favorite songs but hopefully they make it to the states some day

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

That channel has a ton of JH&TDC live sets up, usually all shot to the same calibre. Heaps of other excellent aussie metal too, if you care to take a peak.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

Great band, great show, living in Madison in the aughts truly spoiled me in giving access to see them a buncha times (and eventually working alongside one of the band in a non-musical industry, super nice standup guys). Would love to see them again now that it's been 15 years since i saw them together as a band. Any notes? Did they do a longass set as is the custom?

Muleboy apologized in advance for not being as good as High Reeper, but zilla ripped of course. Went long and went long-form, the audience was quick to supply pens throughout the set so that they could play the songs about weed

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Ingmar terdman posted:

Muleboy apologized in advance for not being as good as High Reeper, but zilla ripped of course. Went long and went long-form, the audience was quick to supply pens throughout the set so that they could play the songs about weed

love every bit of this, especially that it now has me envisioning a bongzilla set where they aren't able to play the songs about weed

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4h0gegB_Jk

hankki
Nov 10, 2009
Our band released a new album last week. Even though the music itself isn't necessarily stoner, doom or sludge and our song lyrics (sadly) don't mention wizards, I think that the people of this thread might enjoy it. We all are avid listeners of stoner/sludge/doom music and we actually met each other at Roadburn festival a few years back!

The music is influenced by bands such as Birds In A Row, Cloud Rat, Have a Nice Life, Uniform, Holy Fawn and Dödmark just to name a few. Check out the album and/or our new music video if possible and I would love to hear some feedback!

https://songwhip.com/viimeiset/leikkaa-mun-hiukset-ja-tuikkaa-ne-tuleen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lruwaDlX96E

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I recently found about Howling Giant and I can't stop listening to their latest album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CT-q3rOlt0

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hankki posted:

Our band released a new album last week. Even though the music itself isn't necessarily stoner, doom or sludge and our song lyrics (sadly) don't mention wizards, I think that the people of this thread might enjoy it. We all are avid listeners of stoner/sludge/doom music and we actually met each other at Roadburn festival a few years back!

The music is influenced by bands such as Birds In A Row, Cloud Rat, Have a Nice Life, Uniform, Holy Fawn and Dödmark just to name a few. Check out the album and/or our new music video if possible and I would love to hear some feedback!

https://songwhip.com/viimeiset/leikkaa-mun-hiukset-ja-tuikkaa-ne-tuleen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lruwaDlX96E

This is sick! Theres actually a bit of a goth/industrial influence going on in the heavy music scene around here and its pretty drat good. Heres one of them, although the lineup has changed quite a bit now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASakHLrNFXY

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Saw King Buffalo last night and they loving kicked rear end. Will be seeing them again any time they come to town.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
I feel like albums don't do King Buffalo justice - I've really enjoyed every one of their shows I've been to.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Vocals on Live at Burning Man disappointed me, but the music is great.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Vocals on Live at Burning Man disappointed me, but the music is great.

all i could think of reading that title was my fav of Les Claypools body of work:

https://youtu.be/wkiPRxFztVQ?si=93A933VMlC_36Rrf

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

pocket pool posted:

I feel like albums don't do King Buffalo justice - I've really enjoyed every one of their shows I've been to.

I feel like every S/D/S band gets a +3 handicap live. it always sounds better when you can feel it.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I think I'm gonna go see High on Fire in a couple weeks. Where's the best album to start? I saw them probably 18 years ago but wasn't into them at the time.

I love Death Is This Communion. Fury whip! Fury Whip! The title track is awesome too, it's slow but it just kinda boils with this weird tension and then it explodes on the chorus, probably not for everyone but I love when he says "slithering, blasphemous curse upon all liiiiiife" and on the "life" the drums kick into a regular beat, as the whole intro is like rolls on the toms (whatever that's called, I'm not a drummer)

Grassy Knowles posted:

Hey, I live in Madison. Also got to see them in the aughts in my early/mid twenties. I kind of know them. The High Noon is still around so it's nice to be able to see them there, I think I saw them earlier this year or last year or something. It's cool how they smoke tremendous amounts of weed on stage and don't get bothered even though it's still illegal here :rolleyes: A very, very long time ago there was this weird art/music show at EVP coffee, where Mike works occasionally, so I had my art on display and Mike played two sets with two of his projects, one was him with his ex-girlfriend (a friend of mine) and the other was like a pure noise thing with just him. Dunno if he does that or Dos Males anymore. I'd imagine that Bongzilla playing sets in Europe and such is a tad more of a priority.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Zoben posted:

Hey, I live in Madison. Also got to see them in the aughts in my early/mid twenties. I kind of know them. The High Noon is still around so it's nice to be able to see them there, I think I saw them earlier this year or last year or something. It's cool how they smoke tremendous amounts of weed on stage and don't get bothered even though it's still illegal here :rolleyes: A very, very long time ago there was this weird art/music show at EVP coffee, where Mike works occasionally, so I had my art on display and Mike played two sets with two of his projects, one was him with his ex-girlfriend (a friend of mine) and the other was like a pure noise thing with just him. Dunno if he does that or Dos Males anymore. I'd imagine that Bongzilla playing sets in Europe and such is a tad more of a priority.

Glad to hear High Noon is still there, I grew up listening to Pete and Lou live from Club de Wash and was glad I got to be a regular at some approximation of it. You and I probably met at least once and I apologize for my intoxication if we did.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

First two High on Fire albums are undeniable masterpieces of the genre but I enjoy Blessed Black Wings the most.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Grassy Knowles posted:

Glad to hear High Noon is still there, I grew up listening to Pete and Lou live from Club de Wash and was glad I got to be a regular at some approximation of it. You and I probably met at least once and I apologize for my intoxication if we did.

I saw Bongzilla at the Annex the most back then, I lived a few blocks away from it. My bands played some different venues, The Slipper Club and later The Frequency, Lot 20, King Club, The Corral Room, etc. Almost all of those places are gone. I saw Crowbar at The Annex earlier this year though, it was on a Tuesday and surprisingly not well-attended, but that meant that I could stand a foot away from Kirk the whole show and for instrumental breaks he'd come over to the audience and dip the guitar into the crowd, often right in my face with a totally metal open-mouth metal face. Awesome.

My roommates and I drank vodka so much back in that day that we made a vodka bottle pile in the corner of an empty room in our place, so you could jump into it like the ball pit at Chuck E Cheese. So I would have been at least as intoxicated as you, no need for apologies.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Zoben posted:

I saw Bongzilla at the Annex the most back then, I lived a few blocks away from it. My bands played some different venues, The Slipper Club and later The Frequency, Lot 20, King Club, The Corral Room, etc. Almost all of those places are gone. I saw Crowbar at The Annex earlier this year though, it was on a Tuesday and surprisingly not well-attended, but that meant that I could stand a foot away from Kirk the whole show and for instrumental breaks he'd come over to the audience and dip the guitar into the crowd, often right in my face with a totally metal open-mouth metal face. Awesome.

gently caress, I miss all those places. Used to do King Club for Stubblefield's show every week. But I spent more time in the willy street/atwood area for shows than most of those. How about Crystal Corner, Ideal Bar, Jolly Bobs, the one across from Monty's that wasn't the full theatre, or the Ohio?

Zoben posted:

My roommates and I drank vodka so much back in that day that we made a vodka bottle pile in the corner of an empty room in our place, so you could jump into it like the ball pit at Chuck E Cheese. So I would have been at least as intoxicated as you, no need for apologies.

lmao we definitely met at some point.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Zoben posted:

Haha! I love this picture.

My cousin and his college roommates went a bit more high class by putting shelves on the wall and jamming them with empty vodka bottles. Empty, horrifically bad vodka bottles (Crown Russe being the most prominent one).

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

that reminds me of going to boarding school in the Northeast US where we had piles like that in the dorms but they were 2 liters filled with tobacco spit

thats hockey for ya

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9bem-EemM0&t=51s

this dude is uploading loads of bass covers of some great stoner/doom/sludge bands. loads of HoF, sabbath, sleep etc. Really cool

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Thank god someone boosted the bass on an Om track FINALLY

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

we need the new om album,now more than ever

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Grassy Knowles posted:

gently caress, I miss all those places. Used to do King Club for Stubblefield's show every week. But I spent more time in the willy street/atwood area for shows than most of those. How about Crystal Corner, Ideal Bar, Jolly Bobs, the one across from Monty's that wasn't the full theatre, or the Ohio?

lmao we definitely met at some point.

Crystal Corner is still there. I recently saw The Skintones there. Behold their lovely Geocities website which still survives: https://thecrystalcornerbar.com/

Ideal is still there. Jolly Bob's gone. I used to go to dozens of shows at the Anchor Inn to see my good friends The Treats, I'm not sure if Anchor turned into Ideal or if they co-existed. Anyway, Anchor is long gone. Ohio still there, do you mean Barrymore? Still there. King Club is a gay sports bar called Woof's now. Slipper Club turned into Frequency, then turned into "Barleypop Live" and that also closed. I was in three lesser-known bands, Officer Steve, Spitoon, and Dirgus. And I know I posted a bunch of art in this thread, but just in case you don't know, I've done lots of album art for Droids Attack and I did Bongzilla's Weedsconsin cover.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Forgot that the weedsconsin artist was itt. Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Zoben posted:

Crystal Corner is still there. I recently saw The Skintones there. Behold their lovely Geocities website which still survives: https://thecrystalcornerbar.com/

Ideal is still there. Jolly Bob's gone. I used to go to dozens of shows at the Anchor Inn to see my good friends The Treats, I'm not sure if Anchor turned into Ideal or if they co-existed. Anyway, Anchor is long gone. Ohio still there, do you mean Barrymore? Still there. King Club is a gay sports bar called Woof's now. Slipper Club turned into Frequency, then turned into "Barleypop Live" and that also closed. I was in three lesser-known bands, Officer Steve, Spitoon, and Dirgus. And I know I posted a bunch of art in this thread, but just in case you don't know, I've done lots of album art for Droids Attack and I did Bongzilla's Weedsconsin cover.

Lmao their website is the same as when I left

That’s dope and I am positive we’ve met before, I think I might’ve even worked a few of your shows with Dirgus. But I’ll quit on that derail ITT :)

Anchor was separate from and coexisted with Ideal, Anchor closed before I left and had already become some fancy counterculture bar with kombucha.

Crystal Corner had(still has?) the fuckin best rockabilly shows like Mad Trucker Gone Mad.

I think it was actually called the atwood, might’ve been closer to glass nickel than mickey’s though. I saw Houses in Motion and my buddy Tim’s surf rock band there both a few times. I wanna say Tim’s band did a David Lynch set there one October that was loving killer and thread appropriate.