Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

CapnAndy posted:

They're just refusing to As You Know.

Oh absolutely. I totally get why that happens. The example I always use is something like 9/11. Your average American could say "It was terrible what happened on 9/11" and a normal response would be "yeah it was." An alien/outside observer would be left in the dark. That make sense.

There have been a handful of moments where the conversation ends up feeling just slightly awkward as characters talk around something because it's clear Brandon wants us to know that these characters know the information but doesn't want us to know the information.

It doesn't make me mad or anything, just amused more than anything because it is one of the few times where you can really feel the hand of the author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
(WOR) Ishishach 1173 never forget :911:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Some good old fashioned reverse dramatic irony.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

One thing that's cracking me up in these books is how much characters bend over backwards to not say important details.

This poo poo makes me laugh while rolling my eyes every time.
"We had to kill the king because what he was going to do."
"Yes, if he did that everything would be ruined!"
"Kaladin couldn't forgive them for what they did to Tien."
"Shallan refused to about that memory."

Look, Stormlight is anime, with all that entails.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Grundulum posted:

Look, Stormlight is anime, with all that entails.

Counterpoint: I am a stick.

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023

ConfusedUs posted:

Counterpoint: I am a stick.

Standard anime beach episode where a female character loses all her clothes.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

As of 30% through The Way of Kings I think Kal and Bridge Team 4 are my favorite plot thread.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

As of 30% through The Way of Kings I think Kal and Bridge Team 4 are my favorite plot thread.

You'll be happy to know there is a ton of Bridge 4 merch out there, if that is your thing.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Ojjeorago posted:

(WOR) Ishishach 1173 never forget :911:

Dumb joke but WoR
Well now we need an emoji of a great shell crying on the parshendi flag. Or I guess a spren?

Someone please make this.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

socialsecurity posted:

You'll be happy to know there is a ton of Bridge 4 merch out there, if that is your thing.

Speaking of, the miniatures I bought from the Kickstarter shipped the other day, including a replica of Bridge 4.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

socialsecurity posted:

I have 200-ish points of ultramarines sitting around here somewhere

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Tunicate posted:

He misheard. It's actually the 'knight' that will reign.
Ha, I would love that.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Dawnshard

Yalb is alive! :woop: Anyway, moving on.

Rysn getting her own book was fun, and Chiri-Chiri is easily a top tier animal companion of literature.
I had a lot of questions about Rysn herself, mostly how will she overcome her disability in this world without modern technology. My very first thought (back in OB when she was still injured after two years) was "If she becomes a Radiant she can fix herself if the Lopen regrew an entire arm." As soon as she actually became part of the disabled community I knew that wouldn't be it, as magicking herself would undermine the message. I did not expect aluminum affecting the quantum fabrial entanglement being the fix, nor did I think Huio would be the one to do it. That was especially cool. That technology is 100% going to be scaled up to make Navani's weird flying ships work sometime in the next book.

It was pretty cool to get a lot of the Lopen, and Huio showing off his intelligence when the two of them spoke their native tongue. At the beginning I was worried about the Lopen going too far with flying that guy up to the ceiling in Urithiru, but by the end I felt a little defensive towards him that toning down his Lopen-ness was what got him the third Ideal. Him getting there also definitely makes me wonder just how far along the rest of Bridge Four is.

Cord was also fun too, but an obvious infodump at some points. The Horneaters just have open trade with Shadesmar (well probably not right now with the Fused occupation(of what is technically their own world)), seeing spren at all times is possibly hereditary? She also has some deep lore about the Cosmere since she perked up when Nikli mentioned Adonalsium. I'm also glad the "treasure" she wanted was something meaningful to her homeland, I never really bought she was after gems and riches to be fair. I wonder who trains her though, Adolin and Vasher have both trained female Shardbearers, either one of them would be cool. She also solved the mystery (for me, not Kaladin) of why Rock is sometimes very strong, the spren just help him out by strengthening his arms.

I feel like a fair amount of people here have read The Wheel of Time, so when I say that Rushu is fully Brown Ajah I really have no better way to describe her. She's been sprinkled throughout the main books, I hope we get more of her working on the partial-entanglement technology.

Nikli was unsurprisingly suspicious from the beginning. A lot of attention was drawn to him, I was already on the lookout for a Sleepless, and I sure as gently caress wasn't going to suspect Rock's daughter Cord. He did go way to hard in trying to dissuade Rysn, though the santhid Sleepless was creepy as gently caress in a cool way. Can't believe I have to now suspect the megafauna as well as the cremlings. He hosed it up though, framing Cord, he's definitely not the TenSoon of the Sleepless.

Chiri-Chiri being some sort of Ancient Guardian was extremely cool and extrmely unexpected. I have to admit I thought all the luckspren (which I think are actually a fauna counterpart to the flora-focused lifespren) were signs that some group of people was trailing Rysn from Shadesmar. Yes I know they'd be on land on the other side and not in a boat, I don't care. So when the luckspren were basically all there for the privilege of bonding with Chiri-Chiri I was quite relieved. I want to see Chiri-Chiri get big enough for Rysn to ride her like a big bug steed.

I sorta love that the culmination of this book was Rysn going "I'm gonna touch this mural I can hear in my head" and gaining... something. She [/i]IS[/i] the Dawnshard now, which is a weird concept. Nikli described them as the "four primal Commands". This one seems to be "Change", I'm honestly not sure, conceptually, what the others might be. Then, even though she was some weird powerful weapon, she used her trading skills to get herself out of trouble. I look forward to reading about the hijinks that she, Chiri-Chiri, and Nikli get into.

I am EXTREMELY suspicious of Suesbron's 50,000 Breath "Treasure of Peacegiver", but if I've seen any others I don't really know. In any case, Awakening's "Commands" feel like they come straight from Dawnshards. Rysn's experience of increased taste, sight, and hearing also feel very much like the Heightenings, but also like burning Tin.

It feels significant that the mural depicts Adonalsium being split into four, then those four into four to make sixteen, rather than straight to sixteen. This is probably because the four Dawnshards each took a quarter of Adonalsium each time, but it feels very Scadrial Metallic arts in the sense that Leras and Ati probably used that event as the example for their magic system's organization.

I look forward to future Rysn interludes or chapters where she's learning more about being a Dawnshard and who might be after it (Odium, someone from outside Roshar?). She's definitely going to be a powerhouse at some point down the road, and now Nikli is openly (to her and the reader) a butler assassin for her. On to Rhythm of War!

Progress so far:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

pik_d posted:

Dawnshard

Yalb is alive! :woop: Anyway, moving on.

Rysn getting her own book was fun, and Chiri-Chiri is easily a top tier animal companion of literature.
I had a lot of questions about Rysn herself, mostly how will she overcome her disability in this world without modern technology. My very first thought (back in OB when she was still injured after two years) was "If she becomes a Radiant she can fix herself if the Lopen regrew an entire arm." As soon as she actually became part of the disabled community I knew that wouldn't be it, as magicking herself would undermine the message. I did not expect aluminum affecting the quantum fabrial entanglement being the fix, nor did I think Huio would be the one to do it. That was especially cool. That technology is 100% going to be scaled up to make Navani's weird flying ships work sometime in the next book.

It was pretty cool to get a lot of the Lopen, and Huio showing off his intelligence when the two of them spoke their native tongue. At the beginning I was worried about the Lopen going too far with flying that guy up to the ceiling in Urithiru, but by the end I felt a little defensive towards him that toning down his Lopen-ness was what got him the third Ideal. Him getting there also definitely makes me wonder just how far along the rest of Bridge Four is.

Cord was also fun too, but an obvious infodump at some points. The Horneaters just have open trade with Shadesmar (well probably not right now with the Fused occupation(of what is technically their own world)), seeing spren at all times is possibly hereditary? She also has some deep lore about the Cosmere since she perked up when Nikli mentioned Adonalsium. I'm also glad the "treasure" she wanted was something meaningful to her homeland, I never really bought she was after gems and riches to be fair. I wonder who trains her though, Adolin and Vasher have both trained female Shardbearers, either one of them would be cool. She also solved the mystery (for me, not Kaladin) of why Rock is sometimes very strong, the spren just help him out by strengthening his arms.

I feel like a fair amount of people here have read The Wheel of Time, so when I say that Rushu is fully Brown Ajah I really have no better way to describe her. She's been sprinkled throughout the main books, I hope we get more of her working on the partial-entanglement technology.

Nikli was unsurprisingly suspicious from the beginning. A lot of attention was drawn to him, I was already on the lookout for a Sleepless, and I sure as gently caress wasn't going to suspect Rock's daughter Cord. He did go way to hard in trying to dissuade Rysn, though the santhid Sleepless was creepy as gently caress in a cool way. Can't believe I have to now suspect the megafauna as well as the cremlings. He hosed it up though, framing Cord, he's definitely not the TenSoon of the Sleepless.

Chiri-Chiri being some sort of Ancient Guardian was extremely cool and extrmely unexpected. I have to admit I thought all the luckspren (which I think are actually a fauna counterpart to the flora-focused lifespren) were signs that some group of people was trailing Rysn from Shadesmar. Yes I know they'd be on land on the other side and not in a boat, I don't care. So when the luckspren were basically all there for the privilege of bonding with Chiri-Chiri I was quite relieved. I want to see Chiri-Chiri get big enough for Rysn to ride her like a big bug steed.

I sorta love that the culmination of this book was Rysn going "I'm gonna touch this mural I can hear in my head" and gaining... something. She [/i]IS[/i] the Dawnshard now, which is a weird concept. Nikli described them as the "four primal Commands". This one seems to be "Change", I'm honestly not sure, conceptually, what the others might be. Then, even though she was some weird powerful weapon, she used her trading skills to get herself out of trouble. I look forward to reading about the hijinks that she, Chiri-Chiri, and Nikli get into.

I am EXTREMELY suspicious of Suesbron's 50,000 Breath "Treasure of Peacegiver", but if I've seen any others I don't really know. In any case, Awakening's "Commands" feel like they come straight from Dawnshards. Rysn's experience of increased taste, sight, and hearing also feel very much like the Heightenings, but also like burning Tin.

It feels significant that the mural depicts Adonalsium being split into four, then those four into four to make sixteen, rather than straight to sixteen. This is probably because the four Dawnshards each took a quarter of Adonalsium each time, but it feels very Scadrial Metallic arts in the sense that Leras and Ati probably used that event as the example for their magic system's organization.

I look forward to future Rysn interludes or chapters where she's learning more about being a Dawnshard and who might be after it (Odium, someone from outside Roshar?). She's definitely going to be a powerhouse at some point down the road, and now Nikli is openly (to her and the reader) a butler assassin for her. On to Rhythm of War!

Progress so far:

I am excited to hear your takes once you finish up. But I love your posts. I too loved Dawnshard

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Now that you’ve read Dawnshard, what do you think the other three commands are? It seems like we don’t have official answers yet, but there was some good discussion when the book came out. My likely-wrong guess is "do", "feel", and "be".

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Way of Kings Ch 27 - Chasm Duty
Man, I love Rock. He's such a fun character.

I have to wonder how such huge chasms persist in a world where the rainstorms dump enormous amounts of sediment (crem) that turns to stone quickly. You'd think it'd deposit and quickly even out any areas that have any stagnet pools quickly

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Way of Kings Ch 27 -

Hah! Air sick lowlander!

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Nitrousoxide posted:

I have to wonder how such huge chasms persist in a world where the rainstorms dump enormous amounts of sediment (crem) that turns to stone quickly. You'd think it'd deposit and quickly even out any areas that have any stagnet pools quickly

Well, things Change.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Also erosion

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Grundulum posted:

Now that you’ve read Dawnshard, what do you think the other three commands are? It seems like we don’t have official answers yet, but there was some good discussion when the book came out. My likely-wrong guess is "do", "feel", and "be".

Given my zeroing in on Heightenings/Awkakening I was thinking "Awake" which is essentially "Be", so maybe.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

RC Cola posted:

I too loved Dawnshard

It's so good. It should've been part of ROW

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Barreft posted:

It's so good. It should've been part of ROW

Yes replace the flashbacks with that instead and you have a far better book.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Grundulum posted:

Full cosmere + sunlit man
We know Hoid had one of them which is the reason he can't hurt anyone (cognitive shadow Kelsier notwithstanding) which he passed on to Sigzil/Zellion who has also since passed it on and also inherited the inability to injure someone

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DarkHorse posted:

Full cosmere + sunlit man
We know Hoid had one of them which is the reason he can't hurt anyone (cognitive shadow Kelsier notwithstanding) which he passed on to Sigzil/Zellion who has also since passed it on and also inherited the inability to injure someone
And we can guess with a pretty high degree of certainty that that's a different one, because the concept of Change would have no problem with hurting people. "Live", maybe? Live, Change, Learn, something else?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I get all caught up and take like a year off of Sanderson books and now I'm 4 books and probably like $75 behind god drat it. The Lost Metal is pretty good though, nice fun story to hop back into the cosmere with.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

The faster water moves, the heavier the sediment it will carry. Flash floods slamming through the chasms won't deposit sediment very quickly and crem sounds like the particles are small, like silt or clay, which only settle out when water moves fairly slowly. Even slowly moving streams only deposit heavier sand particles.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Way of Kings: Interlude 1-4 Rysn

I just realized that I had not been imagining the areas affected by highstorms to be anywhere near alien enough until I encountered this Rysn chapter where she's describing a normal rear end meadow as if it's the surface of the moon.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Nitrousoxide posted:

Way of Kings: Interlude 1-4 Rysn

I just realized that I had not been imagining the areas affected by highstorms to be anywhere near alien enough until I encountered this Rysn chapter where she's describing a normal rear end meadow as if it's the surface of the moon.

Rysn and her Imbecile Grass is my ska band name

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

pik_d posted:

Rysn and her Imbecile Grass is my ska band name

*skaa

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
Finished Wheel of Time recently and enjoyed it. That was my first Sanderson, and decided to do Mistborn next. Enjoying it for the most part, but holy cow his explanation of the magic is thorough. This is like 90 percent a fun book and 10 percent a D and D manual. Is this common in his books?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Brandon Sanderson loving LOVES explaining magic, except for when he loves specifically not explaining magic (yet), but then he capitulates and explains it later.

Elantris is probably one of the least "this is exactly how the magic works" books of his, but it has other flaws due to being a very early book of his. It's still got great characters and is fun though.

I'm on the fourth main Stormlight book and he still hasn't stopped explaining how the magic works, but he's also does amazing character and setting stuff, so the books are 1200 pages each.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 2, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Sanderson spends a lot of time thinking about and building complex and internally consistent magic systems that are unique. I personally always find puzzling out how they work to be a fun little side project as I read his books.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

@81sidewinder also, remember all the weird stuff in WoT that Androl gets up to? That's basically how it is in all his books.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Sanderson spends a lot of time thinking about and building complex and internally consistent magic systems that are unique. I personally always find puzzling out how they work to be a fun little side project as I read his books.

He has full time staff which update an internal wiki and act as consistently editors.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

81sidewinder posted:

Finished Wheel of Time recently and enjoyed it. That was my first Sanderson, and decided to do Mistborn next. Enjoying it for the most part, but holy cow his explanation of the magic is thorough. This is like 90 percent a fun book and 10 percent a D and D manual. Is this common in his books?

Sanderson gets a lot of satisfaction out of making simple magic rules and then seeing what nonsense emerges when you start smashing them together. This mechanistic view of magic-physics is the scaffolding that his characters tug on to advance the plot and allows for dramatic reveals, power-ups, and other satisfying surprises without resorting to rear end-pulls or (most) deus ex machina bullshit. Everything is usually consistent with what you've seen thus far and clever people can often figure it out before the characters do.

If you like that, you'll like his books. If you're not into that bit of rigidity or are tired by reading it, well, there's a lot of that you'd have to suffer through if you keep reading

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The Way of Kings Ch 29: Errorgance
Gotta say, I legit got a little chill while listening to the audiobook when Shallan looked down at her drawing and saw she'd unknowingly drawn two spectors behind the king she didn't remember seeing at the time.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

The Way of Kings Ch 29: Errorgance
Gotta say, I legit got a little chill while listening to the audiobook when Shallan looked down at her drawing and saw she'd unknowingly drawn two spectors behind the king she didn't remember seeing at the time.

All Stormlight spoilers, something I just realized Is she drawing both Pattern AND Testament as there is two?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

socialsecurity posted:

All Stormlight spoilers, something I just realized Is she drawing both Pattern AND Testament as there is two?

Rhythm of War spoilers: If she's drawing what she's seeing, then probably not, as Testament shouldn't be near Shallan in that moment. If she somehow confusing her memory of Testament plus her new discovery of Pattern, then maybe. It's an interesting thought for sure.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Torrannor posted:

Rhythm of War spoilers: If she's drawing what she's seeing, then probably not, as Testament shouldn't be near Shallan in that moment. If she somehow confusing her memory of Testament plus her new discovery of Pattern, then maybe. It's an interesting thought for sure.

Oh right I forgot she was being kept in the Honorspren city at that time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Torrannor posted:

Pattern makes clear that the Cryptics as a whole find her fascinating, and when she's fleeing from them I think there were three following her