Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

https://vxtwitter.com/nash0k1desu/status/1729826029747806607?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Oneiros posted:

i assume boosting just sprays abilities all over your hotbars in some manner i don't even wanna think about so i don't even blame someone in that situation

It does, I think 80% of the time I spent logged into the cloud server was wasted on UI management lol

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

A secret quality of life improvement that would be a really big deal would be to just have hotbar presets or filters as an option. Let the player put abilities where they want as the default, but include a few sensible hotbar layouts that you can set with a button press. You could even create a few for low level ranges, since a good spot for a button at level 10 may not necessarily be the same as it will be at level 90.

Probably have layouts like that just not show abilities you haven't learned yet, and they'll just snap to their spot when you do learn them.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 30, 2023

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
They finally added something where when you get a jobstone for the first time it asks if you want to import your class hotbar instead of just dumping poo poo everywhere

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cleretic posted:

There was a significant amount of time where Arm's Length and Surecast didn't mention the knockback protection.

The only times this was true was when the abilities didn't have knockback protection, which was even only relevant for Surecast. When Arm's Length was introduced in Stormblood, it resisted draw in and knockback (as indicated by the tooltip.) Surecast just prevented cast interruption until then.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 30, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The only times this was true was when the abilities didn't have knockback protection, which was even only relevant for Surecast. When Arm's Length was introduced in Stormblood, it resisted draw in and knockback (as indicated by the tooltip.) Surecast just prevented cast interruption until then.

I remember there being a callout on Arm's Length in some of the (awful) tutorial content, and my brain remember this positioning Arm's Length as exclusively knockback/draw in prevention. And for 90 levels I didn't think about it again because why would I read the tooltip I was told what this does at like level 15 or something lol.

It's me. I was the bad tank. I saw the icon for it in Jocat's crap guide video for tanks, and went and looked at the tooltip. :negative:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Soken once again on my top artist list on Spotify this year, but this time he's on there twice because the Death Unto Dawn soundtrack is under his name in Japanese. :toot:

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Warmachine posted:

I remember there being a callout on Arm's Length in some of the (awful) tutorial content, and my brain remember this positioning Arm's Length as exclusively knockback/draw in prevention. And for 90 levels I didn't think about it again because why would I read the tooltip I was told what this does at like level 15 or something lol.

It doesn't help that in many other games "Slow" as a status effect refers to movement speed rather than attack speed, so a lot of people who do read the tooltip still don't know that it's useful as mitigation.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Super Foul Egg posted:

This is something I wanted to express when reading through pages of what are clearly MMO people being all 'just know how to do all the things GOD', because as a non-MMO gamer I can't help but see a comically bad battle system that is decades out of date and fully incoherent on default settings, inside a game that doesn't have the time or inclination to teach itself to you. The whole game is just about immersing yourself in the culture of it until it starts to make a warped kind of sense in your mind.

I have never done it as a horrible odorous lifer but doesn't the hall of the novice do this

maybe it's poo poo advice idk

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

hall of the novice purposely trains you how to tank wrong, as a joke

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Best thing I can say about it is that it does at least inform you that your AoE buttons exist, but yeah. That poo poo is in dire need of an update.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

God Hole posted:

hall of the novice purposely trains you how to tank wrong, as a joke

Face to foot style! How do you like it?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

For alts, and for the cloud server test, I just copied my main character's folder so that hotbars would be set up the same.

The Simple Tweaks plug-in makes it extra easy, because it can open the folder for the character you're logged in as.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Kheldarn posted:

For alts, and for the cloud server test, I just copied my main character's folder so that hotbars would be set up the same.

The Simple Tweaks plug-in makes it extra easy, because it can open the folder for the character you're logged in as.

If you're already using crime tools, Character Data Sync just does this for you.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

While I think it's always possible, party comp does matter a ton for easing the Stone Vigil hell pulls

wholeheartedly disagree that the W2W in stone vigil before the last boss is always possible

ya'll saying this need to go queue for this on tank/healer and try it yourself

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

aers posted:

my first potd run i got to floor 196 and then i spent a few weeks damaging my wrists actually getting the run. was very infuriating lol
My experience was pretty similar, had some post-190 runs and then a crapton of stupid failures until I finally actually got the clear. People definitely over-emphasize how "easy" it is past 190, the debuffs can be devastating.

The insane part is on the run I finally cleared, my PC started completely dying around 150. I had random shutoffs that ultimately turned out to be (I believe) the motherboard ending up completely fried, and I just through sheer luck didn't have any of those while in instance... I think I got one shutoff about 2 minutes after finishing 180 and exiting. I'm still kind of traumatized by how close that came.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm going to have the hottest, most blistering take:

Every class has too many abilities and I would be fine if each class was boiled down to 10 abilities total.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mordiceius posted:

Every class has too many abilities and I would be fine if each class was boiled down to 10 abilities total.

Go back to GW2 you gremlin.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

nah

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Show of hands, who else completely forgets that Inner Release nullifies knockback until you get hosed by it?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Bruceski posted:

Show of hands, who else completely forgets that Inner Release nullifies knockback until you get hosed by it?

oh my god this explains a lot

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Frida Call Me posted:

wholeheartedly disagree that the W2W in stone vigil before the last boss is always possible

ya'll saying this need to go queue for this on tank/healer and try it yourself

The one with six ice sprites and three aevises? yeah no that one decidedly needs strong AoE jobs for your DPS imho

as a healer you always feel like a loving golden god if you pull it off though

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mordiceius posted:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

If anything I'm too aware of it and I keep trying to mentally plan out how to best Inner Release so I can take advantage of it despite the fact it's almost never actually worth doing that over hitting the button on cooldown

"But it will look so COOL" also impacts trying to time RDM so I dodge attacks on backflip.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Failboattootoot posted:

Go back to GW2 you gremlin.

Hah! I actually loving hate GW2. (It is a terrible sequel to GW1, one of my favorite all-time online games)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ImpAtom posted:

If anything I'm too aware of it and I keep trying to mentally plan out how to best Inner Release so I can take advantage of it despite the fact it's almost never actually worth doing that over hitting the button on cooldown

"But it will look so COOL" also impacts trying to time RDM so I dodge attacks on backflip.

It's the fact that it's never worth hanging onto that gets me, when I *do* remember and still get burnt it's because I just had a couple of seconds left on the buff (or the other way if I tried to be clever assuming it'd still be up). I hit my crit attacks from the ability and there's no reason to remember there's a usually-pointless 15s buff still ticking away. Nor is there any obvious part of the rotation to associate it with, like there is with most dps's "okay I'm squeezing all these abilities into the duration of that buff" 2-minutes.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Mordiceius posted:

Counterpoint: Give me more mit buttons so I can live through anything, even the worst dps and the sleepiest healer

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Bruceski posted:

o2s has a mechanic Long Drop that has a required knockback that can be immuned, and inner release was brand new at the time so I didn't yet know it did that, and I caused so many wipes

ImpAtom posted:

it's frequently up during the opening landslip thing during the second boss in lunar subterrane, the antlion, and knockback immunes do work on that

of course, rather too frequently on that boss, I try to use arm's length, forget it's on cooldown from the previous pack, and get dunked

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The year is 2045

Jobs have gained so many abilities that every single possible keybind needs to be used

Yoshi-P announces that they’re pruning one button from Pictomancer

The servers physically melt down from the sheer rage unleashed by the playerbase

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i agree button creep is bad. Were i hired to redesign sage, i'd expand Eukrasia to toggle 4-5 abilities instead of just three. Like collapsing Haima/Panhaima.

Matter of fact, now that i'm thinking of that, gently caress it, rework the whole job. Eukrasia now toggles any spell or ability between its single target and AOE variant. Boom. SGE is now fun.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

i agree button creep is bad. Were i hired to redesign sage, i'd expand Eukrasia to toggle 4-5 abilities instead of just three. Like collapsing Haima/Panhaima.

Matter of fact, now that i'm thinking of that, gently caress it, rework the whole job. Eukrasia now toggles any spell or ability between its single target and AOE variant. Boom. SGE is now fun.

Well now you have people confused now that the Eukrasian versions of their basic healing and damage spells now do different things than when they used to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

I actually set up a macro that changes every job that has AoE/Single Target abilities to just swap between a single target or AoE version.

So like for Reaper I don't have the AoE or single target only spells on my bar, I just have a macro that swaps to AoE when I need it and single target when I need it.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Bruceski posted:

every day

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Most Roulette groups I've run Stone Vigil with single pull the last sets of mobs. Of those that have tried to have managed to Wall To Wall them, about half manage it.

I always use my AOEs for trash. Not long after I unlocked Dancer, when I was still marked as a Sprout, I was in a Roulette (I forget which dungeon it was), and I was only using my ST Skills. One of the other players asked why I wasn't using AOE, and I said that I figured I did more damage that way, because they have higher potency. They nicely explained the way it works, and I've used AOE for trash ever since.

As for Button Bloat, they need to combine combos into a single button. They have the tech. They use it when you're playing as an NPC in a solo duty.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Kheldarn posted:

As for Button Bloat, they need to combine combos into a single button. They have the tech. They use it when you're playing as an NPC in a solo duty.

They absolutely should not, that poo poo suuuuccckkksss.

Edit: I want jobs to have more bloat, actually.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I actually set up a macro that changes every job that has AoE/Single Target abilities to just swap between a single target or AoE version.

So like for Reaper I don't have the AoE or single target only spells on my bar, I just have a macro that swaps to AoE when I need it and single target when I need it.

I do something similar. I have a Logitech G510s keyboard, so I put ST skills on Bar 1, and then copy it to Bar 4, where I replace the ST stuff with the AOE versions. I set CTRL+1 and CTRL+4 to swap between them, then set up 2 of my G Keys to input those commands. Since they're right by where my left hand is when I'm in combat, it's a simple button press to swap.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sometimes I need to 1-2 instead of 1-2-3 as Gunbreaker so maybe make the combo button it's own button imo

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I think buttons whose sole reason for existing is to give you a damage up buff are stinky

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like them if they are interesting or thematic, I dislike them if they're just "hit the damage button up here" and it doesn't even have a cool visual effect or anything.

More Inner Releases, fewer No Mercies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Hellioning posted:

Well now you have people confused now that the Eukrasian versions of their basic healing and damage spells now do different things than when they used to.

i'd consider that a worthy thing to rebuild around tho. it'd suck for a bit but we are really good at learning (in some of you maniacs' cases) 20 sets of muscle memory key slaps