Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

FISHMANPET posted:

I've got my dates of attendance (2005-2011) on my resume, should I just take those off entirely and just say that I have the degree?

Chewbecca posted:

Yeah I'm interested to know if I should remove the date from my degree also! Seems like lying to leave it off but I suppose it isn't - it's not like it has a use by date

He should remove the date because the date is yesterday but hes got a decade of experience. If you want advice tailored to your resume you know what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

FYI you can remove those dates but some job applications have the year of graduation as a required field. Some of them have the exact month and day as a required field. :psyduck:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

CarForumPoster posted:

He should remove the date because the date is yesterday but hes got a decade of experience. If you want advice tailored to your resume you know what to do.

Right. It'll depend on what the story looks like on your resume. On my resume I had it on for a long time as it told a good "hey this guy was in software after getting a cs degree and became a manager early in his career" story. Now I took it off because I can show that leadership journey but I sorta like not having my age filled in (both because I'm over 40 but also I'm young for the amount of leadership experience I have. Both things can work for or against me).

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

wash bucket posted:

FYI you can remove those dates but some job applications have the year of graduation as a required field. Some of them have the exact month and day as a required field. :psyduck:

Yeah I don't have a clue what day I graduated so I just put May 30th, who is going to fact check that?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
A project manager position at a local college I'm applying to is requesting five letters of recommendation, 2 of which must be direct managers. But who should the other three be?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Head Bee Guy posted:

A project manager position at a local college I'm applying to is requesting five letters of recommendation, 2 of which must be direct managers. But who should the other three be?

Peers/colleagues, even people from other companies you might have interacted with on a regular basis who can speak to your management capabilities.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
I'm going through reference checks at the moment for a role, my first referee submitted hers straight away, while my second hasn't even opened the email.

Why can't they just do phone calls like a normal company, why it gotta be a 20 page questionnaire. I just want an offer god drat it!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Head Bee Guy posted:

ChatGPT 3.5, ChatGPT4.0......

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

5 letters of recommendation seems a lot, is that standard in some industries in America?

I've never had to supply letters of recommendation, I don't think they're such a thing in Australia (?)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Chewbecca posted:

5 letters of recommendation seems a lot, is that standard in some industries in America?

I've never had to supply letters of recommendation, I don't think they're such a thing in Australia (?)

In industry that's a lot. In 15 years of management I've asked for letters twice.

OP said "at a college" which makes it more common. There's something about academia and making their people jump through hoops....

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Degrees are certificates of hoop jumping. Therefore once you actually get into academia they make you jump through even more hoops. Sometimes these end up being insane non-euclidean hoops that take multiple years to jump through but which they require you to design and build your own hoop for, and they call those "doctorates".

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Many jobs I’ve been looking at list that six sigma certification is beneficial toward getting the job.

I have extensive experience with participating in and running lean/six sigma/CI/etc projects but my workplace (intentionally I think) doesn’t try to get anyone certified in anything.

I’ve been poking around and I see that there are college courses you can take online for six sigma and/or lean certification. I also see there are “self paced” places where you can go and study then take a test to get certification.

Financially, not to mention in terms of time, doing the college route is close to a non-starter for me. Would I be helping myself if I did one of the self study things so I can check the box that I’m “six sigma certified” or do companies not value that? The one that I’m looking at is six sigma council . org

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Applying for jobs in design-related fields sucks. I want to have a resume and website normal humans can use, but then the ones that get all the cool likes and shares are bright, huge, busy, and chaotic. I know rationally that people must appreciate a simple design, but emotionally I feel like I'm missing out on having a portfolio site that's the modernized version of Angelfire personal sites.

I'm using a resume that was updated and written by a cool pro writer about a year ago, but I haven't received any responses across 40-some applications in the last two weeks (with consideration for Thanksgiving here in the U.S.). I still seem to be in the career field experience black hole of "I have demonstrable experience in this field for at least 4 years but that's not 7+ years so gently caress off." I've seen job postings making fun of the fact companies are asking for 10+ years experience in [specific field], but it's absolutely true. I've ignored a few of those signposts when it seems like I still match their needs, but it's not encouraging.

I think I need to design a personal case study to add to my UX portfolio that targets what I want in my career. I feel like it's a huge waste of time, but I don't have enough data from my last company (laid off) to build a case study on what I did there. I'm grasping at straws to understand how to stand out when I know I have the background. Maybe I should do another pass on my resume, too, probably with someone familiar with my field. Really, this all comes down to me finding someone in my field willing to give my resume and portfolio a glance.

tl;dr: I am complaining that design jobs suck to get, but I feel like I could do something more to improve my chances instead of complaining.

I removed the graduation dates from my resume, but every single application website has asked for a year at minimum, with the majority asking for month/year. Wish they'd check my LinkedIn instead if they care enough, but eh.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

If on the extreme off chance I get a job offer this morning, is it rude to pull out of an interview on the same day?

I have a job interview at lunch (currently 9.30am) but I really don't want to do it if I can get out of it.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Chewbecca posted:

If on the extreme off chance I get a job offer this morning, is it rude to pull out of an interview on the same day?

I have a job interview at lunch (currently 9.30am) but I really don't want to do it if I can get out of it.

That company probably won’t interview you again in the future if you cancel and aren’t trying to reschedule. But if you wouldn’t have any interest in working for them ever again then you don’t have much to lose by canceling. But do cancel; don’t no-show.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

That company probably won’t interview you again in the future if you cancel and aren’t trying to reschedule. But if you wouldn’t have any interest in working for them ever again then you don’t have much to lose by canceling. But do cancel; don’t no-show.

Oh I'd never no show. It's through a recruitment agency so if I behave badly I'm burning 2 bridges, both with the agency and the company. I may need either in future

I'm thinking I'll go through with the interview and just say I'm weighing up other offers if I'm pressed for information (I know they want someone ASAP)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It's better to take the interview because you never know but a polite "I am sorry I got another position and it wouldn't be fair to take more of your time" is not rude and shouldn't land you in any poo poo.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Many jobs I’ve been looking at list that six sigma certification is beneficial toward getting the job.

I have extensive experience with participating in and running lean/six sigma/CI/etc projects but my workplace (intentionally I think) doesn’t try to get anyone certified in anything.

I’ve been poking around and I see that there are college courses you can take online for six sigma and/or lean certification. I also see there are “self paced” places where you can go and study then take a test to get certification.

Financially, not to mention in terms of time, doing the college route is close to a non-starter for me. Would I be helping myself if I did one of the self study things so I can check the box that I’m “six sigma certified” or do companies not value that? The one that I’m looking at is six sigma council . org

My sigma 6 course was 2 days and it was a total waste of time for anyone who can roll with the idea that a business doesn’t want to spend more than need be. I could see it maybe helping get through the algorithm, but I doubt anyone looking at the resume would care about it above a decade of experience.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

nomad2020 posted:

My sigma 6 course was 2 days and it was a total waste of time for anyone who can roll with the idea that a business doesn’t want to spend more than need be. I could see it maybe helping get through the algorithm, but I doubt anyone looking at the resume would care about it above a decade of experience.

You would think but lack of certification was apparently The Reason I wasn’t offered the last job I applied for. Everyone liked me till I got to the final VP and she didn’t want anyone who wasn’t certified. I just don’t know if that is what they’re looking for or if it’s some sort of joke certification that will do more harm than good.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Lockback posted:

It's better to take the interview because you never know but a polite "I am sorry I got another position and it wouldn't be fair to take more of your time" is not rude and shouldn't land you in any poo poo.

Yeah I have this in my mind too. One of my referees is taking a hot minute to complete my reference (its an online system so I can see everything) - so part of me thinks also it is good to maybe have this one up my sleeve juuuust in case.

But I am having a hard time preparing cos I really want this other job :sweatdrop:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Honestly? Sometimes going into a job interview a little unprepared and also not caring is a very positive thing.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

haha this is true! It will fill in the time at least while I wait for my referee to finally complete the online form.

I have an interview next week too. I go months with no success and then suddenly, I am hot property! I guess people slow down on looking for jobs in the lead up to Christmas perhaps? I have certainly upped my cover letter game, which I think has helped a lot too

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
When I was in high school interviewing finding my first job I ended up with two interviews, both at fast food places, pretty much one right after the other. At the first one I got offered the job, and then I had my second interview just across the street at McDonald's. I would have preferred the first place, so when McDonald's asked me the question "why should we hire you" my response was "no reason."

After doing two rounds of interviews at one place, the next step is apparently a full background check (for an IT job at a government agency). I can't imagine they'd do that unless they intend to offer me the job, so that feels good. But I'm gonna keep grinding until I've got an accepted offer in hand, because you never know when things might blow up.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm applying for chemistry-related jobs and a couple of them list six sigma as a preferred cert. Me, emerging from my PhD rabbit hole, is like, wtf is six sigma?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

wtf is six sigma?

Six Signs You're A Sigma Male (Rarer Than Alpha!)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Lockback posted:

Honestly? Sometimes going into a job interview a little unprepared and also not caring is a very positive thing.

Not giving a poo poo about the outcome of an interview is like a superpower. I strongly recommend OP take the interview anyway, just to discover this for themselves.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

My second reference hasn't come through for me for my number 1 job, and the interview for number 2 job is in an hour - so it's on. I will update you guys with how it goes!

Hell maybe this will be a dream job, who knows?!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Another rejection after my most recent interview. I didn't feel very good about it anyway. Not like some of the others. It would have been for a great company and super local but I didn't jive with the folks I was talking to. Another interview Tuesday though, so fingers crossed.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Chewbecca posted:

My second reference hasn't come through for me for my number 1 job, and the interview for number 2 job is in an hour - so it's on. I will update you guys with how it goes!

Hell maybe this will be a dream job, who knows?!

okay so interview 2 went really well, and they said they would be potentially making an offer as soon as Monday (it's Friday here). I am almost scared I will be successful cos I feel awkward about having another role I am preferencing

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Head Bee Guy posted:

I never tire of academia's total disinterest in regular hiring and employment practices.

Arquinsiel posted:

non-euclidean hoops that take multiple years to jump through but which they require you to design and build your own hoop for, and they call those "doctorates".

lollin

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Chewbecca posted:

okay so interview 2 went really well, and they said they would be potentially making an offer as soon as Monday (it's Friday here). I am almost scared I will be successful cos I feel awkward about having another role I am preferencing

:sotw: Nice one! Seconding the advice about not caring too much, it makes you interrogate the interviewers more to discern whether you actually want the role.

From the other side of the desk, I spent the whole afternoon on an interview panel today for a marketing campaign role. Please, do not do this:

quote:

Interviewer: An integral part of the role is campaign management. Can you provide an example of a successful integrated marketing campaign you’ve led or worked on, and what key steps were involved from planning through to execution?
Candidate: Sure thing. I'll give an example from the time I led not a campaign, but a completely different program of work.

Interviewer: Can you tell us about how you managed a difficult stakeholder and how you used influencing skills to achieve a positive outcome?
Candidate: Sure thing. I'll give an example from the time I was in a difficult situation that did not involve stakeholder management in any way.

I cannot stress this enough. Answer the goddamn question. I want to know if you can run a marketing campaign, and so if you go on about your internal communications program or your brand redesign, I'm leaving with the impression that you are not qualified for this role that I am hiring for, despite what your resume said.

I'll ask the question again to give you another chance, and if you forgot what the question was, ask! It happens all the time when people's mouths get ahead of their brains, I totally understand, and I will respect you more if you pause, think on your answer, and ask for clarification rather than blindly jumping in with the first thing you thought of that has no relevance to the question.

Jumpsuit fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 1, 2023

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Jumpsuit posted:

:sotw: Nice one! Seconding the advice about not caring too much, it makes you interrogate the interviewers more to discern whether you actually want the role.

I got a verbal job offer for the job I really wanted :toot: Will hear about today's interview outcome on Monday, but as it stands I got the job I really wanted!

Jumpsuit posted:

From the other side of the desk, I spent the whole afternoon on an interview panel today for a marketing campaign role. Please, do not do this:

I cannot stress this enough. Answer the goddamn question. I want to know if you can run a marketing campaign, and so if you go on about your internal communications program or your brand redesign, I'm leaving with the impression that you are not qualified for this role that I am hiring for, despite what your resume said.

I'll ask the question again to give you another chance, and if you forgot what the question was, ask! It happens all the time when people's mouths get ahead of their brains, I totally understand, and I will respect you more if you pause, think on your answer, and ask for clarification rather than blindly jumping in with the first thing you thought of that has no relevance to the question.

I started reading this thinking that you were one of my interviewers today lol :sweatdrop:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Chewbecca posted:

I got a verbal job offer for the job I really wanted :toot: Will hear about today's interview outcome on Monday, but as it stands I got the job I really wanted!

gently caress yeah!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Chewbecca posted:

Congrats. Sounds like you weren't on the hunt for too terribly long.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Jumpsuit posted:

Along these lines, what if I've legitimately never dealt with a difficult client? Or if I have, it didn't make a big enough impression that I even remember it? Just make something up? I've dealt with a lot of projects in 12 years and none of them ever made me lose any sleep.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

I'm curious how you were running six sigma programs if you weren't certified?

I'm Green Belt certified through the place you're looking at (SSC), and IMO the courses were quite helpful and good in and of themselves. Worth the cost and the time (although tbf, I was unemployed at the time so my time was open.) The cert was just a bonus.

You can't become a black belt without running a project under the supervision of another black belt, and that project gets submitted to the SSC.

(The "belt" system is incredibly hokey, and they should scrap it.)

As far as whether the cert is necessary or helpful... I've had (and still have) several potential employers remark on it as something they noticed. The position I ultimately took was not one of them, so I guess ymmv.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I'm curious how you were running six sigma programs if you weren't certified?

I'm Green Belt certified through the place you're looking at (SSC), and IMO the courses were quite helpful and good in and of themselves. Worth the cost and the time (although tbf, I was unemployed at the time so my time was open.) The cert was just a bonus.

You can't become a black belt without running a project under the supervision of another black belt, and that project gets submitted to the SSC.

(The "belt" system is incredibly hokey, and they should scrap it.)

As far as whether the cert is necessary or helpful... I've had (and still have) several potential employers remark on it as something they noticed. The position I ultimately took was not one of them, so I guess ymmv.

My company uses a proprietary program that used to be 6 sigma and they kind of just changed it over the years. A solid 80% of it is lifted directly from lean and six sigma and what wasn’t is mostly the same stuff repackaged or renamed.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I legitimately thought Six Sigma was a thing they made up in 30 Rock as a joke.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

I legitimately thought Six Sigma was a thing they made up in 30 Rock as a joke.

Well, it is a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

New Leaf posted:

Along these lines, what if I've legitimately never dealt with a difficult client? Or if I have, it didn't make a big enough impression that I even remember it? Just make something up? I've dealt with a lot of projects in 12 years and none of them ever made me lose any sleep.

Just pick something where you juggled some stakeholders and make the story much better in the retelling.