Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cerekk posted:

It's called a "cpo shirt". eBay is your best bet for genuine military issue, otherwise tons of retailers make similarly styled ones as either a wool shirt or shirt-jac. I have one from Schott that has held up well.

Is that a Johnny Cash or from earlier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I'm pretty sure you can get those old Navy shirts at the store in the mall

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Crab Dad posted:

Is that a Johnny Cash or from earlier?

The Johnny cash was a thin poly/wool blend, 1970s-2010; CPO shirts are thick 100% wool, 1930s-1970s.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Thanks y'all. :)

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NationalDefence/status/1730292657522430058?t=4nI722pP3CymyB5ohSRXSQ&s=19

Canada cares about quality MPRA

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

They going to get the sunken Hawaii one for cheap

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

When they say multi mission they mean like carrying passengers, cargo, or mail right?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MarcusSA posted:

When they say multi mission they mean like carrying passengers, cargo, or mail right?

The P-8 is an ASW and ASuW platform as well as pulling broad-scope ocean SAR and can even pick up where JSTARs is leaving off with a ground-scanning AESA radar they can bolt on near the nose.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Laranzu posted:

This is Canada, they're going to somehow get that one for way more than the cost of a brand new one.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Laranzu posted:

Did no one think when they named it that the god of the sea wouldn’t call one home?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Bombardier’s already making noise because the government single-sourced it and the elections are coming.

Don’t count the new planes until they show up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The P-8 is an ASW and ASuW platform as well as pulling broad-scope ocean SAR and can even pick up where JSTARs is leaving off with a ground-scanning AESA radar they can bolt on near the nose.

Don’t lie it’s totally a passenger plane.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I'm absolutely getting this shirt

Front:

Back:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Ok but what does the QR code link to.

Goatse?

I'm smart enough to ask other people.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
no, not the goat man. In fact I would say that it is completely family safe if just a little childish. But it brings me back to the God Ol' Days on the boats

Here, you cowards

Deus Ex Macklemore fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 1, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I was hoping for rickroll, but the QR code wouldn't scan for me.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The rear end in a top hat game is family friend?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Compared to goatse? Very

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Y’all been in the navy too long.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
don't forget to fill out your DEOCS survey

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Cerekk posted:

Now as a GS in the USAF working near their Resiliency programs, please fill those out and be 100% critical. That's the only way to show poo poo is hosed on a larger scale and not get it squashed by the local O5/O6 level

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Crab Dad posted:

Y’all been in the navy too long.

I've been retired since 2011

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The magic of JSTARS wasn't the sensor, it was the robust crew stations that allowed it to command and control based on the sensor. P-8 isn't bad on its own, but it isn't extraordinary either.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Cerekk posted:

There is no way in hell that is accurate for the ships in Rota.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

The Valley Stared posted:

There is no way in hell that is accurate for the ships in Rota.

Shore duty

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Cerekk posted:

Shore duty

That makes more sense, but I still doubt it anyone other than the junior enlisted are telling the truth.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

The Valley Stared posted:

That makes more sense, but I still doubt it anyone other than the junior enlisted are telling the truth.

I dunno, the boat versions of these always showed terrible morale across all 3 categories, so it's not like officers and senior enlisted won't say their morale is bad.

I think shore duty is just literally that much better than the boat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cerekk posted:

shore duty is just literally that much better than the boat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
All the nukes in the thread are like "what's shore duty?"

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

The flip side of this was the CTA force converted YN at my first shore command who was planning to retire soon. CTAs used to do CONUS/OCONUS rotation instead of sea/shore

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
in the construction battalion it was always the junior officers telling us "PLEASE BE COMPLETELY HONEST ON THIS, SERIOUSLY, DO NOT HOLD BACK WE REALLY NEED YOU TO TELL THE TRUTH TO GET ANYTHING CHANGED" then after they left the chiefs would say if we want change don't use the survey, you gotta have can do and make it happen. coincidentally, O-4 is currently autopin after the minimum years as an LT in the NCF. go figure.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah, I got PMT orders in the exact geographical location I wanted, that was pretty sick (I waited until I had those orders in hand to reenlist).

PMT during COVID was the poo poo, got to stay at home unless a boat called, prior to COVID it was also the poo poo because I was working 20 hours a week.

Those 30 months wete not worth spending 5 years on a submarine beforehand, and a year afterwards, but it's also how I networked into my current job, and THAT might have been worth it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1731347886007304653?t=1IMIfjc167xn3JS7Xqh-ug&s=19

The IDIS onboard must be having a real fun time

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Good to know that the systems work.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Flyinglemur posted:

Seems like kind of a dumb thing, to celebrate something that can't succeed in its primary mission

If you can't beat em, join em.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Flyinglemur posted:

Seems like kind of a dumb thing, to celebrate something that can't succeed in its primary mission

Lol, how'd I miss this :golfclap:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m watching “The Last Ship” on Max right now. Premise is that a pandemic has wiped out most of the world (this came out in 2014) and the series follows a the crew of a U.S. navy ship while they’re on a secret mission to assist a scientist with finding the cure.

ANYWAY in the first episode there’s a scene at the end where the captain of the ship gives an announcement over the intercom to tell everyone what’s going to happen (the ship was on radio silence and left before the pandemic so nobody except the scientists knew anything was happening at all) and how they won’t be going home. One of the people in the room on the bridge asks a life tenant for permission to solute the captain before everyone in the bridge room salutes.

Is there any reason why the guy had to ask for permission or do I just chalk it up to a stupid tv thing for dramatic effect?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m watching “The Last Ship” on Max right now. Premise is that a pandemic has wiped out most of the world (this came out in 2014) and the series follows a the crew of a U.S. navy ship while they’re on a secret mission to assist a scientist with finding the cure.

ANYWAY in the first episode there’s a scene at the end where the captain of the ship gives an announcement over the intercom to tell everyone what’s going to happen (the ship was on radio silence and left before the pandemic so nobody except the scientists knew anything was happening at all) and how they won’t be going home. One of the people in the room on the bridge asks a life tenant for permission to solute the captain before everyone in the bridge room salutes.

Is there any reason why the guy had to ask for permission or do I just chalk it up to a stupid tv thing for dramatic effect?

Because there’s a roof and nobody is wearing a cover so it’s a no salute zone.

Also a movie.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Can definitely tell crab dad lives in radio. People salute on the bridge all the time. The people on watch are covered. Skipper might or might not be if they're up there depends on how they feel.

Also, it's a dumb movie is the right answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Can definitely tell crab dad lives in radio. People salute on the bridge all the time. The people on watch are covered. Skipper might or might not be if they're up there depends on how they feel.

Also, it's a dumb movie is the right answer.

Y’all real navy are wild.
We don’t even have covers in indopacom and there’s 4 stars running around.