Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Legion falls into the same trap a lot of Thriller shows do, which is have characters change alliances willy nilly. The big bad from Season 1 is borderline chummy with the rest of the cast by S3, and it sucks. With some characters they write around the shifting changes - possession, reincarnation, magic poo poo - but ultimately it just becomes hard to give a poo poo about any one character when you feel like they could be on any side at any given moment.

There's a british show called Utopia that's another really blunt example of this. Fuckin-fantastic setup, and by the end they've done so many "oh ho ho you thought we were the bad guys but we were really the good guys compared to this other guy" that it all feels like a futile exercise. Cumberbatch Sherlock also went up it's own rear end in this way.

A bit off topic but if you want a show that handles this masterfully it's Golden Kamuy (it's anime, sorry). Characters shift and form alliances and might act chummy but no one for a second forgets past transgressions or motivations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Jerusalem posted:

1st season is fantastic, 2nd season finished in an unbelievably unsatisfying and stupid way, and season 3 had to work very, very, very hard to try and recover from how bad that ending was, and I don't think it quite pulled it off.

That 1st season though.... :kiss:
Yeah, the show will never be perfect to me because of that swerve at the end of the 2nd season and then the various retcons they had to do in the 3rd to say "uhhh, never mind everyone!"
And as CatstropheWaitress mentioned, the whole big bad becoming allies with them when characters constantly said how he mentally tortured them over and over in the first seasons... Heck, I think it lead to some big innocent character deaths and they were still fine with him.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I just assumed Legion was like what being around an Omega-level psychic mutant is like. Unconsciously retconning reality, perceived or real. How can you be friends with that? With God?

Great show, very unsettling at points and very entertaining at others.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Sir Nose posted:

Lady Nose and I really dug season 1, binge-watched. Moved into season 2, and then with episode 2 or 3 for some reason it suddenly became an ordeal, not sure why, we instantly lost interest in it and bailed. Everyone talks so highly of it so I occasionally consider returning to finish it out, but nah I just don't want to.

Yea it was the same for us - absolutely tore through series 1 but the other ones just felt like the magic was gone and we stopped

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Legion is commendable for making brief, echoed snippets of Captain Sensible’s “Wot” a harbinger of impending doom.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Sanschel posted:

Legion is commendable for making brief, echoed snippets of Captain Sensible’s “Wot” a harbinger of impending doom.

Today in "sentences I never thought I would read..."

You guys are really making me want to track down at least the first season of Legion.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Invalid Validation posted:

Go watch Legion then.

I have and yes, that is the UR example of Aubry Plaza being undeniably attractively evil.

Sanschel posted:

I'd never heard of this song until the show but yes, every time I hear that guitar riff I'm filled the dread.

The ending is great, its literally making Xavier be a better dad

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Taear posted:

Yea it was the same for us - absolutely tore through series 1 but the other ones just felt like the magic was gone and we stopped

Yeah the 2nd season gets rough as the budget and lack of sympathetic characters and bad situations pile up but I managed to get thru and found S3 to be a rewarding ending even if it didn't quite reach the heights of S1. It still went...places...

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
I might have to track down Legion season 3 based on these posts. I'm in the same boat as others where season 2 burnt me out and I never went back for 3. I will say that in season 1 you really get such a good sense of how powerful of a mutant he can be, and how terrifying that is.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
I so rarely buy soundtracks these days but after listening to "It's Always Blue: Songs From Legion" 3 or 4 dozen times, I felt like I needed to buy it. The lyrics fit the show SO WELL.

The show and music stuck with me for a long time after completing the series.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Legion: Finalmente the season 3 soundtrack is pretty good too. My only complaint is it doesn't use the full-cast rendition of Peace, Love & Understanding.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The Finn posted:

I might have to track down Legion season 3 based on these posts. I'm in the same boat as others where season 2 burnt me out and I never went back for 3. I will say that in season 1 you really get such a good sense of how powerful of a mutant he can be, and how terrifying that is.

If you start 3 blind without finishing 2, it's going to be confusing as absolute gently caress
I mean, even watching 2, it's confusing as gently caress

But also you'll miss one of the best scenes in the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frf0HepcB7w

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Finn posted:

I might have to track down Legion season 3 based on these posts.

It’s on Hulu (or Prime, but I’m pretty sure it’s Hulu), I watched it a few months ago. Except for season one, which I have on bluray. (I’m very bitter that seasons 2 & 3 are only on DVD.)

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The music is sooo good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2esSqcOMZ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaWM-hMPUx8

And for Tori Amos fans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBxTyRNweZc

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 1, 2023

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Sockser posted:

If you start 3 blind without finishing 2, it's going to be confusing as absolute gently caress
I mean, even watching 2, it's confusing as gently caress

But also you'll miss one of the best scenes in the show

I forced myself through season 2 to get to watch that scene. *chef kiss*

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

A lot of the rough patches of Season 2 are saved because Navid Negahban is delightful.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Jerusalem posted:

1st season is fantastic, 2nd season finished in an unbelievably unsatisfying and stupid way, and season 3 had to work very, very, very hard to try and recover from how bad that ending was, and I don't think it quite pulled it off.

That 1st season though.... :kiss:

Not to anyone's surprise but I feel the opposite. Season 1 was decent, but season 2 was where it finally figured out what kind of show it wanted to be, and season 3 was still better than 1.

We can all agree that Legion rocks though.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

I so rarely buy soundtracks these days but after listening to "It's Always Blue: Songs From Legion" 3 or 4 dozen times, I felt like I needed to buy it. The lyrics fit the show SO WELL.

The show and music stuck with me for a long time after completing the series.

'Behind Blue Eye's was written to be a villain song for an aborted musical Pete Townshed was making, but it's placed so well here that it feels written for Legion as well.

I think this scene was what got to me to watch the show. The two psychics just slowly floating over the desert towards each other is so neat. The animated overlays genius. Hell of an episode opener.

Still sticks with me.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 1, 2023

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also i can watch Amber Midthunder kick peoples rear end all day long.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I had it in my head that I watched all three seasons but seeing that clip I checked and I only ever watched the first. I think I binged it all while sick which made it even more of a fever dream.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sanschel posted:

A lot of the rough patches of Season 2 are saved because Navid Negahban is delightful.

Oh yeah, monstrous character and the show made dumb decisions around how he was used, but Navid Negahban was absolutely fantastic in the role.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

twistedmentat posted:

Also i can watch Amber Midthunder kick peoples rear end all day long.

She was in ‘Prey’, right? Because she wrecks some people in that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

She was the lead in Prey

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh man, I didn't recognize that she was the twin from Legion, she was really loving good in Prey.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, as soon as I saw she was in Prey I knew it would rule.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Can't be stressed enough how much Prey rules, it's the long-awaited actually good second Predator film. If you've been burned by any of the others, this is the one you gotta jump back on.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Parkingtigers posted:

Can't be stressed enough how much Prey rules, it's the long-awaited actually good second Predator film. If you've been burned by any of the others, this is the one you gotta jump back on.

I'm sorry, you mean 3rd good Predator film. Predator 2 rules.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
It’s been a long time since I watched Legion but wasn’t she constantly getting Worf’d on in that?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I'm sorry, you mean 3rd good Predator film. Predator 2 rules.

Yeah, Predator, Predator 2, and Prey are all neck and neck for me. I enjoy Predators, but it's not as good as those three. The Predator is meh, and I refuse to watch AVP.

The Wolverine vs Predator book is also very good, but I suspect it'll read better as a trade instead of singles.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How many other series have Predators been in, I think Batman fought one? Feels like he fought a Terminator too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How many other series have Predators been in, I think Batman fought one? Feels like he fought a Terminator too.

He’s been in quite a few. Judge Dredd vs Predator is quite good, as is Batman vs Predator. Aliens vs Predator vs Terminator is unreadable, avoid at all costs.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm pretty sure Predator has crossed over with a truly obscene amount of properties. He's interacted with DC characters and as mentioned there's a recent Marvel Predator vs. Wolverine crossover. I think comics of various kinds are where most of that stuff has happened.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

NowonSA posted:

I'm pretty sure Predator has crossed over with a truly obscene amount of properties. He's interacted with DC characters and as mentioned there's a recent Marvel Predator vs. Wolverine crossover. I think comics of various kinds are where most of that stuff has happened.

Never forget:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Dang I knew Archie got shot but didn't realize it was a Predator that did him in.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Is it as good as the Archie/Punisher crossover?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Watched Prey last night on this threads recommendation- it was great! Particularly liked the quote early on, something like "It's not about hunting, it's about surviving." Contrast with the Europeans (better technology and an ideology of open domination) and the predator (space age technology, only hunts other predators). I liked the themes of looking out for one another and existing in harmony with the environment rather than dominating it.

Predators are so full of poo poo, very unsportsmanlike to use space technology (even though he had darts instead of lasers).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BRJurgis posted:

Predators are so full of poo poo, very unsportsmanlike to use space technology (even though he had darts instead of lasers).

Totes. Predators are the space equivalent of US dentists who fly to Africa to shoot lions and elephants with high powered rifles.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I likes when the trappers fire at the predator and it's confused that they're only shooting once. Somehow muzzle loaders are a tech that they don't understand. Really good body language on the actor playing the predator.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Is it as good as the Archie/Punisher crossover?

Might even be better; the Predator one actually has people dying and stuff--the Punisher decided to not sully Riverdale with killing because the town reminded him of the idyllic life he wanted for his family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also I think Frank got the hots for Ms. Grundy?