Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

I can imagine you watching this scene, tutting loudly and turning to the annoyed person next to you "Can you believe this? This is abuse!"

I did not because Bill Murray is an incredibly charismatic man who could make the world's biggest scumbags likable. Doesn't change the fact of what happened. Dude is intentionally a scummy used cars salesman type, like that's the literal point of the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Venkman very obviously began as a psychologist and then went into parapsychology in order to duck any sort of oversight while he hits on his test subjects and otherwise abuses his position.

As part of the Ghostbusters, he’s vaguely acting as a (unlicensed?) psychologist while also administering medication and - again - attempting to seduce his client. Pretty much everything he’s doing is unethical.

It’s worth noting that, besides the Thorazine, the Ghostbusters’ proton packs literally work by directly manipulating people’s ‘psychic energies’, and might as well be treated as akin to drugs. It’s not at all far off from Peck’s speculation about nerve gasses and whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The dark secret of Ghostbusters is that Peck was in fact entirely in the right until the moment where he shut off the grid, and even then he was only in the wrong in that the Ghostbusters refused to speak to him, harassed him and lied to him and he had no good reason to assume this particular bit of bullshit happened to be the true part.

It's just that if you put Bill Murray and William Atherton in a room together, one is going to be the guy you love and one is going to be the guy you want to see punched in the face, no matter what arguments they are making.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 28, 2023

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm begging people once again to not take the worn out SMG bait

Regarding Peck, yes, he is right. Unfortunately, he's also a total rear end in a top hat and riled up Venkman (probably reminded him of the Dean). A friendly personable EPA agent would have averted the whole disaster.

"I'll fix you, ImpAtom!"

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm begging people once again to not take the worn out SMG bait

Regarding Peck, yes, he is right. Unfortunately, he's also a total rear end in a top hat and riled up Venkman (probably reminded him of the Dean). A friendly personable EPA agent would have averted the whole disaster.

"I'll fix you, ImpAtom!"

Venkman would have been a dick to anyone with a badge. It’s part of the “Animal House” DNA the movie shares.

Now, if Peck had talked to Ray, he would have walked away thinking they were harmless loons.

If Peck had talked to Egon, he would have walked away confused.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
If he talked to Winston he would have walked away thinking they were cool and good.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

He'd probably ask Winston if he was for real licensed and then given him a ticket.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

I can imagine you watching this scene, tutting loudly and turning to the annoyed person next to you "Can you believe this? This is abuse!"

"Geez, you must be some kind of annoying dork in real life!" I insist while continuing to argue with other adults about Ghostbusters

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm begging people once again to not take the worn out SMG bait.

People already ‘took the bait’, discussed the themes of the movie Ghostbusters, and nothing happened.

Meanwhile, you saw something strange in your neighbourhood, and then failed to call anyone more brave to assist you!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ImpAtom posted:

The dark secret of Ghostbusters is that Peck was in fact entirely in the right until the moment where he shut off the grid, and even then he was only in the wrong in that the Ghostbusters refused to speak to him, harassed him and lied to him and he had no good reason to assume this particular bit of bullshit happened to be the true part.

It's just that if you put Bill Murray and William Atherton in a room together, one is going to be the guy you love and one is going to be the guy you want to see punched in the face, no matter what arguments they are making.

In any other universe Peck would have been 100% justified and correct in his actions, he was just unlucky that he happened to exist in the one Earth-like reality where ghosts are a genuine existential threat and these specific weirdos were the only ones on the entire planet who were happy to spend decades slooooowly gathering the scant data to realise that there was a problem and were able to create the tech necessary to deal with it. Looking at it from the outside, it's an insanely unlikely set of circumstances

The other confounding element is that the Ghostbusters decided to let Venkman be their spokesman in pretty much most situations and he's actually a conman so anyone keeping an eye on them from afar would have zero reason to believe a single word that comes out of their mouths

Splint Chesthair posted:

Now, if Peck had talked to Ray, he would have walked away thinking they were harmless loons.

Ray would have let him try out one of the proton packs and maybe even hooked a ghost out of the containment unit for him to shoot. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 29, 2023

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Meanwhile, you saw something strange in your neighbourhood, and then failed to call anyone more brave to assist you!

goddamn

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ray would have let him try out one of the proton packs and maybe even hooked a ghost out of the containment unit for him to shoot. :v:

I wanna see this movie!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Less post busting more Ghostbusting.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Less post busting more Ghostbusting.

Since I’ve joined this thread, I’ve seen posts that would turn you white!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In any other universe Peck would have been 100% justified and correct in his actions, he was just unlucky that he happened to exist in the one Earth-like reality where ghosts are a genuine existential threat and these specific weirdos were the only ones on the entire planet who were happy to spend decades slooooowly gathering the scant data to realise that there was a problem and were able to create the tech necessary to deal with it. Looking at it from the outside, it's an insanely unlikely set of circumstances

The other confounding element is that the Ghostbusters decided to let Venkman be their spokesman in pretty much most situations and he's actually a conman so anyone keeping an eye on them from afar would have zero reason to believe a single word that comes out of their mouths

Winston joined too late sadly and your other choices were a literal manchild or an amoral scientist who would probably terrify Peck to death

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Did Carl Winslow shoot a kid pre or post ghostbusters?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ImpAtom posted:

Winston joined too late sadly and your other choices were a literal manchild or an amoral scientist who would probably terrify Peck to death

Peck turned up on the exact same day that Winston first joined them and when Peter is upstairs aggravating Peck, Ray is downstairs showing Winston how to clear a trap.

I think Egon would have been their best option because I'm pretty sure he would have already memorised all the relevant EPA regulations and policies and would "well, actually" Peck into a corner by arguing all the fine points and loopholes

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Egon would likely have shown Peck the containment unit unprompted, including the viewing platform scene that got cut.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The_Doctor posted:

Egon would likely have shown Peck the containment unit unprompted, including the viewing platform scene that got cut.

I wish that scene was filmed and sfx were made for it, and I hope there's some view of inside the containment unit in the next one.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Egon was eating Janine's pussy under the desk.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Even in the cut scene, I believe they offer Peck to look inside the containment unit to see for himself but he refuses, calling it a “waste of time” or the like. If that’s true, he was never going to be convinced, but that’s kind of the point. He was a two-fold existential threat to the Ghostbusters: he was a government agent seeking to regulate their unbridled success and, perhaps even worse, a skeptic. He scared them more than Gozer did.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

FooF posted:

Even in the cut scene, I believe they offer Peck to look inside the containment unit to see for himself but he refuses, calling it a “waste of time” or the like. If that’s true, he was never going to be convinced, but that’s kind of the point. He was a two-fold existential threat to the Ghostbusters: he was a government agent seeking to regulate their unbridled success and, perhaps even worse, a skeptic. He scared them more than Gozer did.

Peck the Peckerian, Peck the Bureaucrat, William Atherton, the Inspector has come! Choose and perish!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FooF posted:

The second time he's there, nothing would convince Peck. Venkman pissed him off too much the first time.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Did Carl Winslow shoot a kid pre or post ghostbusters?

Slimer was the kid Sgt. Powell shot before he moved to LA.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Peck turned up on the exact same day that Winston first joined them and when Peter is upstairs aggravating Peck, Ray is downstairs showing Winston how to clear a trap.

I think Egon would have been their best option because I'm pretty sure he would have already memorised all the relevant EPA regulations and policies and would "well, actually" Peck into a corner by arguing all the fine points and loopholes

Yeah, that's what I meant. Winston isn't going to be arguing with the EPA on his first day.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

If Peck showed up a week later Winston probably would have pointed out some specific OSHA/EPA violations while complaining about his salary.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://imgur.com/gallery/b6Zu45u

Buncha Ghostbusters behind the scenes pics.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

banned from Starbucks posted:

Maybe the writers incorrectly assumed as a psychologist he could just go get whatever he needed from a nearby pharmacy and that's what we're supposed to infer?

I think Aykroyd and Ramis may just have not realized it's psychiatrists who can prescribe drugs, not psychologists.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Just call this WhyILoveMovies.jpg

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Ray lets Peck try the pole, and the next scene is him introducing him as the fifth Ghostbuster the guys.

After the introductions are made, and Ray leaves the room, Peter, Egon, and Winston all stare at him, until finally, Egon speaks up.

“He let you try the pole, didn’t he?”

Sheepish, Walter just nods.

“Don’t worry, he took out several mortgages after trying it the first time to buy this whole place. It has that effect on people. I’ve tried to analyze it, come back with nothing but traditional steel alloys and a vague spiritual attachment to heroism.”

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/b6Zu45u

Buncha Ghostbusters behind the scenes pics.

These are delightful :3:

Hudson and Ramis trying out their cool guy poses is pretty funny :v:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Just call this WhyILoveMovies.jpg

Hell yeah

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
this one's interesting, mainly because Bill Murray is just lurking in the background or at least I think that's Bill Murray. Is this where the terror dog is in Louis's closet/bedroom?

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Most definitely. That's the coat beating thrown on its head.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

this one's interesting, mainly because Bill Murray is just lurking in the background or at least I think that's Bill Murray. Is this where the terror dog is in Louis's closet/bedroom?

Oh man, I wouldn't expect Bill Murray to be watching that shot. These photos are a treat

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

FooF posted:

Most definitely. That's the coat beating thrown on its head.

yeah it might have just been a practice toss/test to see how well they could get the thrown jacket to drape over the dog's head. In either case the shot is toward the front of the dog, but I remember the lighting being way more stark (basically dark in that room with the light source entirely coming from the doorway)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Oh man, I wouldn't expect Bill Murray to be watching that shot. These photos are a treat

I guess filmmaking is inherently interesting, especially with monsters!

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

yeah it might have just been a practice toss/test to see how well they could get the thrown jacket to drape over the dog's head. In either case the shot is toward the front of the dog, but I remember the lighting being way more stark (basically dark in that room with the light source entirely coming from the doorway)

Yeah, that's exactly the case. Rewatching the scene, it's interesting to me that the wall Murray is against in the shot above doesn't have the striped wallpaper in the movie shot. The lamps are quite different too.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm sure it's been posted before but since we're doing rad behind the scenes stuff, here's a 1984 Showest promo for the movie they sent to distributors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqpumEZmxa0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Did my yearly rewatch today. Something I thought about this time was how during the Twinkie scene, Ray's mention of a possible "four fold cross-rift" actually does sound like a term that would describe exactly what ends up happening with Gozer's entry into our world at the end. Like, Gozer is crossing over into our world from the fourth dimension via a rift opened by the Gatekeeper and Keymaster. A four fold cross-rift.

It's good writing, it's a partially nonsense term but it does sound like something that would be in Tobin's Spirit Guide if it were a real book.