Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Honestly, I don't see how Dr. Ratio got any less interesting. The gist of the changes is that they made it less random. Before, he got a random buff or did a followup attack for each debuff on his target, and you needed 5 debuffs to guarantee you got the FUA (which is where the lion's share of his damge comes from). You also needed to attack several times to stack up all the random buffs to their maximum stacks. Now, you only need 3 debuffs to guarantee the FUA, and two attacks to stack up his buffs to max.

So, unless "interesting" to you was "checking his stats after every attack to see which buffs he got", his actual gameplay hasn't changed in any way except to make him less reliant on specific party compositions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

nikke's story apparently takes a wild turn into being genuinely thought provoking and intriguing completely out of the blue compared to its horny aesthetics, according to the friends that play it

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Conversely though I don't know what the gently caress 5 debuffs you can even put on him with most teams.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Mulva posted:

Conversely though I don't know what the gently caress 5 debuffs you can even put on him with most teams.

Well, Silver Wolf provides like a million on her own. Outside of her, Dr. Ratio himself provides one, Topaz provides one (two with her LC), Pela provides one, the Nihility LC Resolution Shines As Pearls Of Sweat provides one, DOTs count, etc. But yes, one of the problems with his initial kit was that you were either at the mercy of RNG or had to really build the entire team around ensuring there's 5 debuffs at all time. With only 3 required for his buffs and FUA now, it's a lot easier, and you can still go all the way to 5 if you want to give him a little extra damage.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Zurai posted:

Honestly, I don't see how Dr. Ratio got any less interesting. The gist of the changes is that they made it less random. Before, he got a random buff or did a followup attack for each debuff on his target, and you needed 5 debuffs to guarantee you got the FUA (which is where the lion's share of his damge comes from). You also needed to attack several times to stack up all the random buffs to their maximum stacks. Now, you only need 3 debuffs to guarantee the FUA, and two attacks to stack up his buffs to max.

So, unless "interesting" to you was "checking his stats after every attack to see which buffs he got", his actual gameplay hasn't changed in any way except to make him less reliant on specific party compositions.

It's less that and more that I think his charms might get old, being more of a silly character. If I get lucky on Argenti and RM banners and have a chunk of change left over I might try and get him, I have Topaz so more FUA characters are welcome. I also enjoy being contrarian so being an Argenti stan is a good groove for me to fall in.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm pulling for ruan mei AND l+ratio and then hope Sunday doesn't come out in the near future

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Dracula Factory posted:

It's less that and more that I think his charms might get old, being more of a silly character. If I get lucky on Argenti and RM banners and have a chunk of change left over I might try and get him, I have Topaz so more FUA characters are welcome. I also enjoy being contrarian so being an Argenti stan is a good groove for me to fall in.

Ah, that's totally fair then. Sorry, I guess I read too much into your post on account of the massive meltdown elsewhere proclaiming that he's been doomed by nerfs when they're actually buffs. And hey, if Argenti does it for you, go for it! I'm sure he'll be just fine with proper investment like every other character except Arlan, and like I said, he is a beautiful man.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I was already planning on putting Hanya with Topaz. Now I can just throw DR in there, too. This loving Huo Huo banner needs to end so I can get started.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

coolusername posted:

HSR has pretty broad mass appeal and charm, so it’s the only gacha game I’ve tried to get my normally non-terminally-online friends into.

I play Arknights and it has great stories, surpassing HSR when it gets rolling, but it’s still very much a “it’s time to read war and peace interspersed with depressing dying anime girls.jpg to a killer soundtrack” experience that appeals to a niche visual novel audience and that turns off people who aren’t down for reading long philosophical lectures delivered by catgirls.

Meanwhile star rail is a turn-based RPG with voice acting and whatnot where you’re hitting cool cutscenes within the first few hours and so it’s easier to be hooked by the story.

Well, I my own biases aside, I meant more like even the players of this game often complain about the story. Like, people who've Honkai 3rd think Honkai 3rd is better, people who've played Nikke think Nikke is better. It's like, it isn't the worst thing ever but I don't see anyone praising it as the best either. So it strikes me that it only won on account of people who've never played much else.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Zurai posted:

Ah, that's totally fair then. Sorry, I guess I read too much into your post on account of the massive meltdown elsewhere proclaiming that he's been doomed by nerfs when they're actually buffs. And hey, if Argenti does it for you, go for it! I'm sure he'll be just fine with proper investment like every other character except Arlan, and like I said, he is a beautiful man.

Theres a lot of bad faith weirdos out there that don't like any male characters being in the game literally at all and spread deliberate misinformation about them

Futaba Anzu posted:

nikke's story apparently takes a wild turn into being genuinely thought provoking and intriguing completely out of the blue compared to its horny aesthetics, according to the friends that play it
I still figure whats probably going on is that a lot of people only tend to judge things in extremes so they started it for ironic horny reasons and found out theres some merit there to the story and characters beyond that so leapfrogged right past "better story/characterization than I expected" to "lolol came for the butts but found the greatest story ever lololol can I has upvotes now :elon:"

Like I just have a hard time imagining that game has a super amazing story, but I'm willing to believe it exists and is serviceable enough at least.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 30, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Only edge or jobber men for me, like Blade or Yanqing

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
I'm partially waiting for Kafka rerun so I can get her LC; I do have about 20 pulls right now but not sure who to pull on, since I'm pretty neutral on Huohuo and Argenti. Might just wait for the next patch.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Bad Video Games posted:

I was already planning on putting Hanya with Topaz. Now I can just throw DR in there, too. This loving Huo Huo banner needs to end so I can get started.

Don't be mean to Huohuo

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Meowywitch posted:

Don't be mean to Huohuo

What's she gonna do about it, cry?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

What's she gonna do about it, cry?

you're god drat right

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Meowywitch posted:

Don't be mean to Huohuo

Huo Huo is fine. But I want to gamble on. The pretty man until I get my Hanya.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Zurai posted:

I get it, people are always coming in way too hot with this game on social media. I really like that this thread is more than just "x is mid" and hornyposting. I think it's just the kind of game that makes people's blood run hot lol.

And the one-two punch of Hanya and Argenti is too pretty to ignore, they would make a cute core of a physical team, and I'm one of the people who wants to build a team for every element. I'm also not too pumped about Xueyi, I love her visual design but her kit doesn't really contain anything I really need a 4- star for. If Dr. Ratio is fun in the story mode, that could change my mind and make my decisions more complicated. Skipping banners in this game is hard but that also makes it more engaging.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

:allears:

Different team comps nearly every single time, I didn't just grind for good RNG. I also still nearly didn't make it because I forgot to switch out Quinque's attack boots for her speed boots. I still maintain this challenge is a little overtuned. It's a struggle if you only have 122 speed, nearly impossible with less.

I managed Gepard in 3 cycles with my favorite team. Topaz, Clara, and Kafka. :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The lack of Qua weaknesses for Seele to prey on made me drag Silver Wolf out to play. Definitely pushed me a bit more than last time but still comfortably under the wire.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Farming relics drives me nuts sometimes. I've been trying to scrounge up an Imaginary set for Welt, and after 10 days of watching my resin burn, I still have 0 crit chests and 0 speed boots. But somehow, the game has given me 2 crit chests and 4 pairs of speed boots for the fire set instead. Right after the release of the new follow-up set for Himeko, naturally.

Maybe Hook will finally gain all the power she deserves.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Hook wouldn't hate the DoT set. Himeko wouldn't mind it either.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Bad Video Games posted:

I’m with you. I’m ready to be wooed by the flame-haired beauty.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Still have a lot of ghost stories to do, so much content

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Hit up the new MoC. My damage is good enough to meet all the cycle counts and Bailu can keep her team alive, but Gepard can't. It's actually pretty frustrating. Just random deaths on his teams (as low as MoC 6 had one, then not again until 9, goofy stuff).

Any tips for sucking less with Gepard? I've 30'd since Jingliu until this week, and I probably can eventually this week, but random single deaths I (seemingly?) can't do anything about are so sad.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhqU5X_sMPA

Dork

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Xalidur posted:

Hit up the new MoC. My damage is good enough to meet all the cycle counts and Bailu can keep her team alive, but Gepard can't. It's actually pretty frustrating. Just random deaths on his teams (as low as MoC 6 had one, then not again until 9, goofy stuff).

Any tips for sucking less with Gepard? I've 30'd since Jingliu until this week, and I probably can eventually this week, but random single deaths I (seemingly?) can't do anything about are so sad.

If you can get 2 stars with someone dying, you can replay for the third star. Doesn't all have to be at once. Just slow roll with Gepard and Lynx or Natasha or something. It's what I resorted to on 9.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Bad Video Games posted:

If you can get 2 stars with someone dying, you can replay for the third star. Doesn't all have to be at once. Just slow roll with Gepard and Lynx or Natasha or something. It's what I resorted to on 9.

Yeah, I'm getting two stars and just missing the death one. I didn't realize I could go back and get just that one, so thanks! Turtle time it is.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Xalidur posted:

Depends on your gear. The 4pc knight set is his bis, and then you need spd boots and err. As much spd as you can pile on him really. The goal is to have him be at least as fast as your carry, that way they don't outrun the shield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6kCF9tZDkg

He is very pretty...

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I wasn't pulling for him anyway, but now I'm REALLY not pulling for him. He bullied Pom-Pom!

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Kale posted:

I still figure whats probably going on is that a lot of people only tend to judge things in extremes so they started it for ironic horny reasons and found out theres some merit there to the story and characters beyond that so leapfrogged right past "better story/characterization than I expected" to "lolol came for the butts but found the greatest story ever lololol can I has upvotes now :elon:"

Like I just have a hard time imagining that game has a super amazing story, but I'm willing to believe it exists and is serviceable enough at least.

I started it for the Nier collab, but got too bored with the gameplay before the story really picked back up beyond the loving enormous twist in the first chapter presumably designed to let you know it gets Niery later.
That female lead you've been hanging out with all chapter? She's been turned evil by an incurable virus and now you, personally, have to mercy kill her.

The character writing was pretty fun too, rocket launcher girl has real good snark. Didn't make it too far, though.

Star Rail pretty obviously got a boost from being pretty mainstream, even just among Hoyoverse games, HI3 exists and finished out a story they've been telling for half a decade. Plus Genshin had a couple of it's best Archon Quests, but it got passed over too on that. (I assume they won something else instead? Haven't looked into awards much.)

Sorry Bronie you're not getting your E1.

Hope this guy's good, because he is incredible. :swoon:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

what a dork, i want to dunk his head in a toilet and flush.

did this polearm genshin character get lost and end up in star rail instead

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 1, 2023

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I've seen this exact character archetype parodied so many times in modern anime, I cannot possibly take him seriously.

which i suppose is probably the point

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Zurai posted:

I wasn't pulling for him anyway, but now I'm REALLY not pulling for him. He bullied Pom-Pom!
I might be coming around on him. Throw that stuffed animal with delusions of grandeur out the fuckin' airlock. Worse than Paimon.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

FractalSandwich posted:

I might be coming around on him. Throw that stuffed animal with delusions of grandeur out the fuckin' airlock. Worse than Paimon.

:mods:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

who's the rerun banner with argenti

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

not rolling but he seems like a fun guy

i await someone drawing him saying "my work here is done" followed by march saying "but you didnt do anything"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tree Reformat posted:

I've seen this exact character archetype parodied so many times in modern anime, I cannot possibly take him seriously.

which i suppose is probably the point

They are not taking him seriously at all.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

GateOfD posted:

who's the rerun banner with argenti

silver wolf iirc

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Luocha confirmed dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag