Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DickParasite posted:

e: to be clear, not all psychologists are bad. Mental health care is obviously a good thing to access, if you can and need it. Yet it is also another tool used against us.

QFT

Sigmund Freud's American nephew studied why women weren't smoking at the same rates as men, found that they were sensitive to the social connotation of women who smoked in public being "loose" so he then hired a bunch of fake suffragettes to march in a parade while smoking and seeded a bunch of news stories about them calling their cigs "freedom torches" to get more women to start smoking as an expression of personal freedom, yadda yadda yadda, mass death.

Everything about the way our civic society conceptualizes values has been spoonfed to us over the last 100 years by a fully militarized industrial propaganda apparatus that cares nothing for human life. That's the water we swim in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

NeonPunk posted:

Hey, you guys know about the mysterious diseases that's been wrecking dogs all over?

https://www.kcci.com/article/iowa-veterinarian-prescribes-covid-19-drug-for-mystery-dog-illness/45991983

Lmao it's always Covid.

I've been watching it closely but the news is basically the same every day, outside of weird outliers like this one. The main FB group is run by qanon chuds who promote giving your dog ivermectin and colloidal silver.

it's really tough for me because I am fine masking everywhere and staying home, I don't really need other people besides my wife, and my dog, but my dog really has done so well in her training, taking her out of it would be really really detrimental to her confidence and socialization

and I'm super aware that worrying about my dog when 27million people died is silly, but she's my dog

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Oldest Man posted:

Sigmund Freud's American nephew studied why women weren't smoking at the same rates as men, found that they were sensitive to the social connotation of women who smoked in public being "loose" so he then hired a bunch of fake suffragettes to march in a parade while smoking and seeded a bunch of news stories about them calling their cigs "freedom torches" to get more women to start smoking as an expression of personal freedom, yadda yadda yadda, mass death.

Everything about the way our civic society conceptualizes values has been spoonfed to us over the last 100 years by a fully militarized industrial propaganda apparatus that cares nothing for human life. That's the water we swim in.

god drat

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

Hey, you guys know about the mysterious diseases that's been wrecking dogs all over?

https://www.kcci.com/article/iowa-veterinarian-prescribes-covid-19-drug-for-mystery-dog-illness/45991983

Lmao it's always Covid.

i'm sorry i gotta take this opportunity to brag. here's proof that i sniped this as "dog covid" when i very first heard about it on nov 23:

e: and yes i know it was the world's easiest snipe but still

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Shiroc posted:

If everyone had actually been able and willing to hole up for a few weeks, this would have been a short sprint. Instead that got undermined immediately by having tons of people forced to work, poo poo direction about masking and outright refusal.

I think I disagree. Even under the most ideal hypothetical conditions - successful global communist revolution several generations ago paired with successful cultural revolution that gave everyone a deep sense of collective responsibility - there's still no way to fully get rid of covid. Could have minimized the deaths by a lot more, sure, but this was destined to be permanent no matter the political economy it happened under.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

there is no great answer to this, but I can tell you what we do

our kids mask at school but also eat at school. other kids sometimes come to our house. they do not mask nor do our kids when they have friends over

it' one other person
they are not symptomatic
our kids are not immunocompromised and are recently vaccinated so have an extremely low risk of severe disease

of course there are all sorts of holes in this. But, similar to why we keep our kids in school despite needing to eat in a giant indoor restaurant full of disgusting other children every single weekday, this is worth it. we see the socialization and friendship as necessary, and so we take the risk

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

A Bag of Milk posted:

I think I disagree. Even under the most ideal hypothetical conditions - successful global communist revolution several generations ago paired with successful cultural revolution that gave everyone a deep sense of collective responsibility - there's still no way to fully get rid of covid. Could have minimized the deaths by a lot more, sure, but this was destined to be permanent no matter the political economy it happened under.

doesn't the fact that china, a country with 1.4 billion people living in an incredible range of densities, stamped out covid entirely for several long stretches of time show that this is untrue and could in fact be stomped out with sufficient political will and organization?

i do think if the whole world had done a wuhan lockdown for a few months in 2020, it would have been eradicated. might be different now with animal reservoirs (especially now that our dogs have it :) ), but i do think eradication was possible (given better politics, as above)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

A Bag of Milk posted:

I can imagineer whatever I want in the absence of a death-hungry capitalist regime, you can't stop me

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Test/trace/quarantine works. Plus better border controls (you'd think conservatives would have jumped all over that one).

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

fosborb posted:

our kids mask at school but also eat at school. other kids sometimes come to our house. they do not mask nor do our kids when they have friends over

it' one other person
they are not symptomatic
our kids are not immunocompromised and are recently vaccinated so have an extremely low risk of severe disease

of course there are all sorts of holes in this. But, similar to why we keep our kids in school despite needing to eat in a giant indoor restaurant full of disgusting other children every single weekday, this is worth it. we see the socialization and friendship as necessary, and so we take the risk
this is almost identical to what my friends with a 2nd grader do. they know they're hosed, that they've been thrown to the dogs. but there's not much else they can reasonably do.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

Lmao it's always Covid.

rich people will be getting pax for their dogs while poor people tough it out and get maimed :nice:

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

fosborb posted:

it' one other person
they are not symptomatic

also yeah, i agree with this line of thinking. covid and long covid are very bad. loneliness and social isolation are also very bad -- and depending on the person, sometimes legitimately worse. guaranteeing a very bad thing is potentially not the right move compared to risking a very bad thing.

if the friends are amenable to it, you could also have them do a (pooled?) rapid test when they show up. i do pooled testing with my friends when we hang out -- plus open windows, hepa filters, etc. -- and sure people think it's a little weird but it takes a minute and they don't really care that much. i handle all the "logistics" of it, mixing the solution, blah blah, so for them it's just like "ack gotta stick this thing in my face" for 30 seconds and then done.

also, if your kid is 12+, having maxxed pax stax might put your mind at ease a little.

and just kinda generally, i think it's worth asking yourself to be extremely explicit about what your goals are. is it "never get covid, ever, under any circumstances?" if so, the bunker-busting covid case in this thread recently means that you basically need to move to a mountain right now and never leave your cave. so, sincerely, where exactly do you draw the line given that it's somewhere above zero?

i've said this before in thread, but my personal take is that you should, at bare minimum, always be doing your part to get the reproduction rate below 1.0. you're clearly safely into "i'm doing my part" territory based on your posts. but beyond that, you're (primarily) making your own calculation about risk to health and happiness due to covid vs. isolation vs. work impacts, etc., and you unfortunately kinda have to look at it as a multi-factor optimization function. that's why, for example, i still play hockey but only do so outside. i know someday i'll get covid, but those thousands of hours of being outside and doing exercise are better for me than the alternative. unfortunately i think the world is forcing you/all of us into similar decisions.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

You could add post-play-date iota carrageenan spray and far UVC lights to ventilation and filtration to try to additionally reduce the risk but I wouldn't rationalize risk-taking as "kids are at low risk of severe disease" since the risk for kids has always been post-acute problems and the big mystery box of what getting covid twice a year for decades is going to mean for long term health outcomes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
pupslovid

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

fosborb posted:

it' one other person
they are not symptomatic

It's good to hear others are going about it the same way.

My wife and I mask out of the house, always, and it's about all we can do to limit exposure given our kid is in daycare.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Caininemectin

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

You could add post-play-date iota carrageenan spray and far UVC lights to ventilation and filtration to try to additionally reduce the risk but I wouldn't rationalize risk-taking as "kids are at low risk of severe disease" since the risk for kids has always been post-acute problems and the big mystery box of what getting covid twice a year for decades is going to mean for long term health outcomes.

also potentially nasal rinses i guess?

and tbc i'm not saying kids are at low risk of severe disease. i'm saying you have to do the optimization problem even with that =/

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Shiroc posted:

If everyone had actually been able and willing to hole up for a few weeks, this would have been a short sprint. Instead that got undermined immediately by having tons of people forced to work, poo poo direction about masking and outright refusal.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
oh and “holing up for a few weeks and taking care of each other” seems to be extremely threatening to capital for reasons unrelated to covid.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Soap Scum posted:

doesn't the fact that china, a country with 1.4 billion people living in an incredible range of densities, stamped out covid entirely for several long stretches of time show that this is untrue and could in fact be stomped out with sufficient political will and organization?

i do think if the whole world had done a wuhan lockdown for a few months in 2020, it would have been eradicated. might be different now with animal reservoirs (especially now that our dogs have it :) ), but i do think eradication was possible (given better politics, as above)

Perhaps you are right, I am not confident enough to push back on this view. My understanding is that small covid reservoirs always existed in China, which is why lockdowns did happen from time to time, as the reservoirs were discovered. But living under capitalism may have just stunted my political imagination. Its hard to even think about an effective, global contact tracing system that most people would have bought into. If the infrastructure existed to vaccinate everyone at once, maybe there was also a tiny eradication window if 8+ billion people would have been jabbed before the emergence of delta. [kanye voice] I guess we'll never know

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Soap Scum posted:

i'm sorry i gotta take this opportunity to brag. here's proof that i sniped this as "dog covid" when i very first heard about it on nov 23:

e: and yes i know it was the world's easiest snipe but still

https://phys.org/news/2023-11-clues-mysterious-sickness-affecting-dogs.html

This guy links it to a new bacteria.

I say, why not both? COVID and previously harmless bacteria, working together. Harmony.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

A Bag of Milk posted:

Perhaps you are right, I am not confident enough to push back on this view. My understanding is that small covid reservoirs always existed in China, which is why lockdowns did happen from time to time, as the reservoirs were discovered. But living under capitalism may have just stunted my political imagination. Its hard to even think about an effective, global contact tracing system that most people would have bought into. If the infrastructure existed to vaccinate everyone at once, maybe there was also a tiny eradication window if 8+ billion people would have been jabbed before the emergence of delta. [kanye voice] I guess we'll never know

most of our history has many examples of places implementing quarantine and isolation procedures, often successfully!

we also eradicated zoonotic airborne viruses successfully three times in my life, that I can think of right now. sars og, swine flu, and mers. none of the success hinged on pharmaceutical interventions.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I say, why not both? COVID and previously harmless bacteria, working together. Harmony.

quote:

Based on the bacterium's structure, the antibiotic doxycycline might be effective against it, Needle said.

Doxycycline? Why does that sounds so familiar to me?

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

ok ok fine a partial snipe but still !

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
This Danish headline caught my attention and I am not gonna lie, they had me at the start.

https://www-dr-dk.translate.goog/ny...&_x_tr_pto=wapp posted:

Politician reaches out for 'irresponsible' opposition: Risks contagion for political teasing
When the Koran Act is to be voted on, all members of the Parliament will have to be present.
(..)
She herself is sick at home with a fever, and she believes it is indefensible to force sick members of parliament into the parliament hall together with their 178 colleagues in the middle of the sick season, and when Statens Serum Institut [ed. Danish CDC] announced yesterday that there is an epidemic of cold pneumonia.

- We drop like flies. And yet we must be forced to show up, no matter how sick we are. It doesn't make sense collegially or at work. Then you can bring your colleague's virus home with you, she says.
(..)

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

The only silver lining for my current (and maybe forever) struggle with long covid is that it makes it easy to decide on boundaries. It is hard and I can't imagine what it's like to have kids or a partner with a job that goes against covid precautions.

I know an end isn't in sight but it just seems like it's getting more difficult. I really can't imagine anything getting substantially better in the next 6mo. I know the wheels are moving on long covid research but I am so loving sick of resting for so many hours. It's the most boring loving things to lie there, not moving, eyes closed and fully conscious. Music helps but that's the maximum stimulation I get.

Just well enough to be enraged not well enough to do anything about it. I went for a 5 minute walk yesterday and it made me so sick I couldn't work today. This loving sucks and theres enough evidence it'll be for the rest of my miserable life.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

fosborb posted:

it' one other person
they are not symptomatic

+1, this is our method.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

NeonPunk posted:

Doxycycline? Why does that sounds so familiar to me?

Ugh, that poo poo makes your gi tract bleed.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

The Oldest Man posted:

Turns out it's way easier to market hyperconsumerism to people who are prioritizing "personal growth, happiness, and fulfillment" than people who are prioritizing self denial, familial obligation, and mutual sacrifice, so that's what people had to be trained to prioritize.

Century of the Self is a pretty good watch on that subject if you don't feel like cracking a book about it.

Yeah pretty much. It's kind of sad, too, because everything slowly getting worse synergizes really nicely with "oh my god you poor thing, look how hard you've got it, why don't you let me sell you a hamburger and a new car to eat it in."

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Blerh...
https://twitter.com/SystemsVirology/status/1730095534415683642
Note that this is specifically about the vaccination in people whom have not been infected.

Nitter link to the whole thread context: https://nitter.net/SystemsVirology/status/1730095458771468288

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
"cold pneumonia" is a new one to me! although probly lost in translation

I am stunned every time I hear there are people who have not been infected. I know not everyone seroconverts or has symptoms but wow, that's awesome

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

Turns out it's way easier to market hyperconsumerism to people who are prioritizing "personal growth, happiness, and fulfillment" than people who are prioritizing self denial, familial obligation, and mutual sacrifice, so that's what people had to be trained to prioritize.

The Oldest Man posted:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jyrraeth posted:

my current (and maybe forever) struggle with long covid

yeah I hear you. it’s dark days and not much to hope for

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Gunshow Poophole posted:

"cold pneumonia" is a new one to me! although probly lost in translation
(..)

That's my bad, the Brits also call mycoplasma pneumoniae "cold pneumonia", so I didn't catch that it apparently isn't a term used in the US.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pingui posted:

That's my bad, the Brits also call mycoplasma pneumoniae "cold pneumonia", so I didn't catch that it apparently isn't a term used in the US.

Oh that's actually kinda interesting that there's a distinct layman's term for it. neat

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Oh that's actually kinda interesting that there's a distinct layman's term for it. neat

To be clear it is "cold" as in the temperature, not the disease category. Because people often don't run a fever and if they do it is usually low grade.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Pingui posted:

Here in the US, we usually call it "walking pneumonia"

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Coworker almost certainly suffering from Long Covid now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NeonPunk posted:

Lmao it's always Covid.

M– Maybe this highly‐selective protease inhibitor just happens to work on an unrelated dog virus…

It’s not technically impossible that it’s something other than COVID. Nirmatrelvir has activity against other coronaviruses in the lab.

P.S. obligatory

quote:

Hospital currently out of Paxlovid lol. Still think hoarding is harmless???

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 00:18 on Dec 1, 2023