Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

New cel-animated Talon short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEQdmHikWEM

If Doomfist and Ramattra made a deal at the end of Storm Rising, why not just ask Ramattra for one of those power thingys instead of stealing one? I guess we'll find out more in the Season 12 Story Missions for the low low price of $14.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm still so bitter about the gimped PvE content, but that was a fun short. Blizzard really should've made an animated series at the height of the game's popularity.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

teagone posted:

I'm still so bitter about the gimped PvE content, but that was a fun short. Blizzard really should've made an animated series at the height of the game's popularity.

shocking that they haven't yet. you'd expect that they'd have shoveled something out by now in this time of *synergy* but ActiBlizz can't even do cold corporatism correctly

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Dick Jones posted:

New cel-animated Talon short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEQdmHikWEM

If Doomfist and Ramattra made a deal at the end of Storm Rising, why not just ask Ramattra for one of those power thingys instead of stealing one? I guess we'll find out more in the Season 12 Story Missions for the low low price of $14.99.

This was fun, but doesn't Sombra's translocator no longer work like shown in this? I realize the cinematic production is on a way different schedule than game tweaks but it's kind of funny anyway.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

For tie-ins, isn't the work usually farmed out to a dedicated feature studio? I know Blizzard has a separate Story & Franchise Development team who make those Hollywood-tier cinematics, but given they're also working on Diablo and Warcraft stuff (and probably a reveal cinematic for Blizzard's upcoming survival game IP) I don't know if they'd have the resources to do a full movie or miniseries. It'd be cool if the new Microsoft era opened the door for a joint Blizzard/Illumination OW project or something.

Ashcans posted:

This was fun, but doesn't Sombra's translocator no longer work like shown in this? I realize the cinematic production is on a way different schedule than game tweaks but it's kind of funny anyway.

Eh, maybe she can change the settings for different missions, like Cassidy's grenade or Torb's turret. There are some pretty big gameplay/lore discrepancies in other abilities too. Lore D.va's self destruct is a desperate hail Mary move done at a safe distance from civilization, and it almost kills her. And while Lore Mercy can fly indefinitely I think there are limits to what she can heal and resurrect.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Ashcans posted:

It would have been amazing if she threw it, teleported, and was confused that it did that automatically..

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Is doomfist shirtless with a cybernetic feather boa?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

headcase posted:

Is doomfist shirtless with a cybernetic feather boa?

it kind of looks like one of those ugly jackets with a fleece collar cut in half lol

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

it kind of looks like one of those ugly jackets with a fleece collar cut in half lol

I know it's a nod to traditional clothing but maybe he's also a fan of "Pimp Daddy" Destro

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I like how Orisa still carries a Supercharger on all of her skins, even the brand new ones.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

I like how Orisa still carries a Supercharger on all of her skins, even the brand new ones.

Yeah, it's a shame the Supercharger didn't get repurposed for something else. I imagine the devs couldn't actually make drastic changes to the base model/rig like that for fear of breaking other poo poo, like the Supercharger highlight intro.

The more I think about Mauga the more I kinda wish Orisa was more like that instead of her current incarnation. Could have done something neat with her heat meter and burning targets, could have kept her gold while charging in, and could have re-used the bongo model and cast animation for Cage Match. Alas.

I'm probably in the minority but I miss old Orisa :smith:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

old orisa would probably be fine in 5v5 as far as i can figure

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I know it's a nod to traditional clothing but maybe he's also a fan of "Pimp Daddy" Destro

The whole thing did have kind of a weekday afternoon Hasbro cartoon feel to it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Dick Jones posted:

The whole thing did have kind of a weekday afternoon Hasbro cartoon feel to it.

That's exactly what Overwatch should be imo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I've always said Overwatch is basically like G.I. Joe in Pixar aesthetic.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Stylosa just posted a breakdown of the Season 8 Battlepass, and the Christmas mini-battlepass

Some okay skins, but overall both look like the usual overpriced trash Funky Doomfist is AMAZING though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na-bPNM100I

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wwV80QqzEE

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Lucio is way overdue for a throwback skin. Like a flashy early 80s breakdancing skin with a Jheri Curl hairstyle.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Framerate/performance seems to be in the toilet on ps5 for the new patch

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

I'm a little embarrassed at how long it took me to realize that you can fire both of Mauga's miniguns at the same time. It's a good way to build up that critical damage bonus and reap the benefits of it immediately (versus spraying someone with the primary and then switching to secondary when they're on fire), but it only seems useful at close range since it greatly increases the spread of both guns. I haven't gotten a good feel for how to be effective with him yet -- most tanks either have more mobility or an ability to manage their own health, but having neither, Mauga seems a little more dependent on pocket healing in my experience so far.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

didnt they boost his lifesteal this patch? he should have a reasonable amount of sustain into anyone that isnt bastion

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

RhymesWithTendon posted:

most tanks either have more mobility or an ability to manage their own health

Mauga has more mobility than Reinhart, and importantly it can't be stopped by anything short of another Mauga ult.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

mauga is transmasc coded change my mind

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Mauga has more mobility than Reinhart, and importantly it can't be stopped by anything short of another Mauga ult.

Orisa eats Mauga up and it’s a blast using her ult after he pulls his so they all scramble instead of shoot.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

Orisa eats Mauga up and it’s a blast using her ult after he pulls his so they all scramble instead of shoot.

Oh for sure, I'm just saying "Mauga has no mobility" is flat out wrong . His charge is fast, has an extremely tight turning circle, and can be self-cancelled in two ways - just stopping, or an early stomp. In no world is that "no mobility".

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

using the charge as an escape works way more than it should. qp is full of people saying hes OP but i think hes surprisingly well balanced given the state of release heros weve had so far

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

So far I feel like his main problem is that he demands a lot of resources from supports to stay up.

Which, tbf, is every tank, but he's a big boy with no shield and no eat. If the enemy has an ana, he basically needs a kiri bodyguard on him 24/7

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 7, 2023

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
I feel like 150 armor was too much to give him, from 0.

His health pool is just stupidly big.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

So far I feel like his main problem is that he demands a lot of resources from supports to stay up.

Which, tbf, is every tank, but he's a big boy with no shield and no eat. If the enemy has an ana, he basically needs a kiri bodyguard on him 24/7

Agreed, when playing support either with or against him, you feel very pigeonholed into specific supports, which is boring.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Inept posted:

Agreed, when playing support either with or against him, you feel very pigeonholed into specific supports, which is boring.

That's pretty much every tank though?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Rawrbomb posted:

That's pretty much every tank though?

dang you hit me with the old statement question mark

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Framerate/performance seems to be in the toilet on ps5 for the new patch
this finally got fixed today, allegedly

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

feedback was that mauga was a little weak so blizzard buffed his ENTIRE kit aside from his ult. He's so overtuned now.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Oh for sure, I'm just saying "Mauga has no mobility" is flat out wrong . His charge is fast, has an extremely tight turning circle, and can be self-cancelled in two ways - just stopping, or an early stomp. In no world is that "no mobility".
To be fair, what I said was "most tanks either have more mobility or an ability to manage their own health", but you're not wrong -- I think I was underestimating the utility of Mauga's charge at the time. My go-to tank is Winston, so I might have a skewed idea of how much mobility a tank should have. Having played around with Mauga a little more, I don't find his charge as easy to control as Reinhardt's, but I'm getting used to it. I've been finding the stomp useful for clearing corners when you suspect there are going to be enemies on the other side. Charging can also be useful for retreating, but it's a tough call sometimes because you can end up leaving your squishies in between you and and the enemies when running away, if your team hasn't already fled first. Winston, for instance, can at least drop a shield for his allies before retreating. Offensively, it can be useful for breaking up the enemy's front line, but again, this still feels very dependent on getting a lot of healer attention, since he's a big target without a shield. His damage buff from inflicting critical damage gets canceled out pretty quickly when you're getting a lot of enemy attention.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So many bad Mauga players out there. See now, I'm supposed to be everyone's heal bitch, not just yours, uce.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

SpeakSlow posted:

See now, I'm supposed to be everyone's heal bitch, not just yours, uce.
Come on now, just because he's Samoan doesn't mean he has to be an Uso. The stomp is clearly a Seth Rollins move.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I only play Quickplay, but I don't like what Magua does to the game. I'm having a hard time describing it but it feels like he dumbs down everything. Against other tanks, Mauga rushes in and assumes his entire team is dumping resources into him, and if they do, that's a win. Against a Mauga mirror, it's whoever can do that the best/whoever has a kiri jammed up their rear end to suzu anti-nades on cooldown.

I've had a little success with Sigma though, every time he hits Cardiac Overdrive you just succ the bullets. He gets no healing, you get armour. Your succ doesn't last as long, but you can just block the rest with a shield.

EDIT: thinking about it, they could nerf him by reducing his clip size a bit so that there's more breaks in his damage output

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Dec 11, 2023

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Yeah QP is a lot of Mauga fuckfests now. To be expected with a new character but it seems his kit makes people think they should just charge, hold W and both mouse buttons with no consideration for mitigating incoming damage. Must agree he's a little overtuned but probably easy enough to fix. Ana supremacy.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Rawrbomb posted:

I feel like 150 armor was too much to give him, from 0.

His health pool is just stupidly big.

This kinda seems like its on par with the other tanks. Killing ram is a loving nightmare if his supports are switched on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

SVB just did an interview with Jared Neuss, the Executive Producer of Overwatch.

A lot of it feels like the usual answer-dodging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGgVFUlQ_7k

The most relevant bit for me is SVB is asking about locking heroes in the battlepass. Jared admits that there's an issue and says they're going to change the model going forward, but doesn't give any more details.