Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Death to Farm Chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Death to Farm Chat

Too late, now we're joining hamas

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Toxoplasmid posted:

Just another crack ping for me. I've been sold the lie of Palestinian 'terrorism' for decades. I always thought I was reading between the lines and they were as bad for each other. Reprisals on top of reprisals on both sides.
How wrong I was. Videos like this and the kid whose arms they broke just shatter the narrative.
Dti

As-salamu alaykum friends

I mean i've read some pretty bad things about Hamas and how they treat people within Gaza in between when Israel is bombing them, but also what exactly does anyone expect of a literal concentration camp that had near 100% unemployment, three hours of electricity a day, emergency ration levels of food, and no clean water? All since 2006? They all had to rely entirely on humanitarian aid. Palestinians have had to do what they did to survive, I don't blame them for any of it, and none of it can really be confirmed either.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Where is the northern California chapter of Hamas

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Death to Farm Chat

The outdoors are khamas

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i don't want to be here in your london dungeon
i don't want to be here in your british hell

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Can't incite hatred but then they have the gull to be British

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I mean i've read some pretty bad things about Hamas and how they treat people within Gaza in between when Israel is bombing them, but also what exactly does anyone expect of a literal concentration camp that had near 100% unemployment, three hours of electricity a day, emergency ration levels of food, and no clean water? All since 2006? They all had to rely entirely on humanitarian aid. Palestinians have had to do what they did to survive, I don't blame them for any of it, and none of it can really be confirmed either.

There were definite sniffs of Israel being such a militaristic and hateful society. But the mask has never been off until now. Al Aqsa flood had many successful secondary objectives.

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

The only personal experience I have is my mum told me about a friend she had in 70s who went to the kibbutz and came back a completely different person, talking about 'filthy arabs' etc. It wasn't something I could directly tie to todays times. Probably should have

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

[does not apply to pro isreal demonstrators]

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Toxoplasmid posted:

Just another crack ping for me. I've been sold the lie of Palestinian 'terrorism' for decades. I always thought I was reading between the lines and they were as bad for each other. Reprisals on top of reprisals on both sides.
How wrong I was. Videos like this and the kid whose arms they broke just shatter the narrative.
Dti

My previous view was something along the lines of "regardless of what Hamas does/did Israel is at fault for creating the situation to begin with."

But instead it turns out that Hamas is just straight-up good and moral, even in a situation where they would be justified in feeling great hatred towards the people of the country that's murdering and brutalizing them.

That's part of why I keep harping on the "IDF absolutely killed most of those civilians on 10/7" thing. Even if Israel would still be at fault regardless, it still pisses me off for Hamas to get tarred with doing stuff that was likely primarily done by the IDF. If Hamas was really boiling over with a desire to gun down Israeli civilians, would they end up with such a good relationship with the hostages? We've already seen from Israel's abuse of prisoners how people behave when they're actually boiling over with hatred.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

is israel leaving their foreign audience propaganda up to hasbara students or what, how are they so bad at this

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Toxoplasmid posted:

There were definite sniffs of Israel being such a militaristic and hateful society. But the mask has never been off until now. Al Aqsa flood had many successful secondary objectives.

I think the mask has really always been off, but you had to really dig for it if you were an outsider, especially living in the west. The middle east has been calling out Israel for decades, but no one has listened. For Arabs in the region, this is just another war in a long line of wars with Israel where the country every decade or so gets ultra barbaric and violent, more so than they normally do.

Maya Fey posted:

is israel leaving their foreign audience propaganda up to hasbara students or what, how are they so bad at this

The really pathetic thing is that it's working on U.S. leadership, and that is what really matters to Israel.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Pissrael imo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Egg Moron posted:

Pissrael imo

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

My previous view was something along the lines of "regardless of what Hamas does/did Israel is at fault for creating the situation to begin with."

But instead it turns out that Hamas is just straight-up good and moral, even in a situation where they would be justified in feeling great hatred towards the people of the country that's murdering and brutalizing them.

That's part of why I keep harping on the "IDF absolutely killed most of those civilians on 10/7" thing. Even if Israel would still be at fault regardless, it still pisses me off for Hamas to get tarred with doing stuff that was likely primarily done by the IDF. If Hamas was really boiling over with a desire to gun down Israeli civilians, would they end up with such a good relationship with the hostages? We've already seen from Israel's abuse of prisoners how people behave when they're actually boiling over with hatred.

Yeah I think I was a lot more pragmatic and nihilistic when I was younger. I remember the 2006 war, I was working at the Guardian at the time, and I was definitely rooting for the underdog. But I never made the connection with my tax money directly funding the IDF and how good they were at Hasbara at the time.

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

I definitely can't articulate this without sounding blind to the reality of the situation. I guess I was.

Toxoplasmid has issued a correction as of 23:21 on Nov 30, 2023

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Crazypoops posted:

Man we should play a trivia game! Was it IDF or Nazi Germany?

"Hitler 1 Quote or Hitler 2 Quote" is another fun party game instructive juxtaposition of historical monsters. His one that's just nakedly restating "the strong do what they will; the weak suffer what they must" with a bunch of extra sophistry is a good one to throw in the mix.
There is no place for the weak. The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong, for good or for ill, survive. The strong are respected, and alliances are made with the strong, and in the end peace is made with the strong.
"Distributed to his officers a special letter harkening to a legendary genocide and referenced it in a speech to encourage them to carry out further atrocities due to a special divine destiny" would probably trip some people up.

Ytlaya posted:

I do wonder (I hasten to add without condemnation if it's the case) if the General Nimrods that got scooped up are getting the same summer camp treatment. Certainly putting myself in their shoes I can imagine it's a lot easier to imagine being magnanimous to Kibbutz Nana captured to trade back for my own people than loving Cobra Commander of the death camp guard.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Toxoplasmid posted:

I definitely can't articulate this without sounding blind to the reality of the situation. I guess I was.

gentle lol at this post / username combo

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Owlbear Camus posted:

I do wonder (I hasten to add without condemnation if it's the case) if the General Nimrods that got scooped up are getting the same summer camp treatment. Certainly putting myself in their shoes I can imagine it's a lot easier to imagine being magnanimous to Kibbutz Nana captured to trade back for my own people than loving Cobra Commander of the death camp guard.

Has Israel officially acknowledged that any high ranking officer was captured? Seems sort of embarrassing.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I have to say, I do struggle with "Never Again" meaning "Never Again, To Us".

You would think like 90% of the poo poo Israel does would be repugnant to Jewish cultural memory, but here we are. I realize Israel, and Zionism, don't represent the Jewish people, but surely the self-identified Jewish people in Israel have some psychological hurdles to clear in their support of ghettos, pogroms etc.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I honestly have never heard specific credible crimes committed by Hamas (beyond resisting imperialism which is enough to be a dirty terrorist). It always seems to come from vague Israeli/American gov sources or authors with weird racist book titles that makes it hard to take seriously. If someone has links I'd be curious.

They are religious fundies though not particularly harsh considering they don't force sharia, but they actually seem uncharacteristically chill for a group fighting against such brutality. Being an insurgent against psychotic colonizers is not generally an environment that breeds an even temperament. Even if they weren't I still think whatever occurs in an anti-colonial war is the fault of the colonizer (e.g. anything people complain about the FLN is the fault of the French).

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Frosted Flake posted:

You would think like 90% of the poo poo Israel does would be repugnant to Jewish cultural memory, but here we are. I realize Israel, and Zionism, don't represent the Jewish people, but surely the self-identified Jewish people in Israel have some psychological hurdles to clear in their support of ghettos, pogroms etc.

Nah the Jewish Israelis have utter contempt for european jewish people who survived the holocaust. They straight up call them cowards for 'walking like sheep to the camps" or whatever. No hurdles there

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Toxoplasmid posted:

point scope cat directly at tel aviv

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Al-Saqr posted:

Meanwhile, Palestine stays winning, so much so that Japan removed Hamas, Islamic Jihad and PFLP from their 'terrorist orgs' list:-

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/expert/articles/575563e7bb3f0a726e43503c27de832e25244d19

The Public Security Intelligence Agency removes Turkey's Kurdistan Workers' Party and Palestine's Hamas from the list of ``global terrorist and armed organizations, etc.''

However, the Palestinian group Hamas and the Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) launched Operation Aqsa's Deluge on October 7, leading to the Israeli military's attack on Gaza. Jihad Organization), as well as the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades (AAMB), the Islamic Army (AOI), and the Mujahideen Shura Council around Jerusalem (MSC), which are Palestinian factions active in Palestine, Israel, and neighboring countries. ), “Popular Resistance Committee” (PRC), “Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine” (PFLP), “Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine General Command Faction” (PFLP-GC), “Palestinian Liberation Front Abu Abbas Faction” (PLF) , Lebanon's Hezbollah has been removed. 183 organizations including these have also been deleted.

blessed

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

Owlbear Camus posted:

"Hitler 1 Quote or Hitler 2 Quote" is another fun party game instructive juxtaposition of historical monsters. His one that's just nakedly restating "the strong do what they will; the weak suffer what they must" with a bunch of extra sophistry is a good one to throw in the mix.
There is no place for the weak. The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong, for good or for ill, survive. The strong are respected, and alliances are made with the strong, and in the end peace is made with the strong.
"Distributed to his officers a special letter harkening to a legendary genocide and referenced it in a speech to encourage them to carry out further atrocities due to a special divine destiny" would probably trip some people up.

moreplz

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Maya Fey posted:

you could argue that the main hasbara guys are focusing inwards after all the protests against netenyahu and keeping moral up after loosing a war they thought should have been over in a week, leaving the dumb ones to the international market instead, or they really are just bad at this and the cheat codes don’t work anymore

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i do wonder if the thai guys realise hamas probably saved their lives by capturing them

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

I honestly have never heard specific credible crimes committed by Hamas (beyond resisting imperialism which is enough to be a dirty terrorist). It always seems to come from vague Israeli/American gov sources or authors with weird racist book titles that makes it hard to take seriously. If someone has links I'd be curious.

They are religious fundies though not particularly harsh considering they don't force sharia, but they actually seem uncharacteristically chill for a group fighting against such brutality. Being an insurgent against psychotic colonizers is not generally an environment that breeds an even temperament. Even if they weren't I still think whatever occurs in an anti-colonial war is the fault of the colonizer (e.g. anything people complain about the FLN is the fault of the French).

yeah I think they always wanted us to put 2 and 2 together and get 5. Where in reality they are oppressed by overwhelming force and just want freedom and self determination just like our western ideals. And their desperation has been sold to us as terrorism.
This must all sound very droll and obvious.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Spaced God posted:

Nah the Jewish Israelis have utter contempt for european jewish people who survived the holocaust. They straight up call them cowards for 'walking like sheep to the camps" or whatever. No hurdles there

So they should have grudging admiration for Palestine's Sobibor/Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Jel Shaker posted:

i do wonder if the thai guys realise hamas probably saved their lives by capturing them

See, this is what I'm wondering about. I can't help but wonder if they saw their friends frantically waving at Israeli attack helicopters and getting blasted or something.

You know, like in act one of a zombie video game when someone sees soldiers in full Hazmat gear and says "thank God!" and runs up to them while the main character hides?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

wait gently caress god drat it i replied to ff i need to look at usernames

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I've noticed that despite all the inhuman cruelty Israel inflicts on Palestinians, Palestinians still mostly 'merely' think of Israelis as "those colossal assholes that regularly bomb us".

Vast swaths of Israelis straight-up don't see Palestinians as human.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Blarghalt posted:

I've noticed that despite all the inhuman cruelty Israel inflicts on Palestinians, Palestinians still mostly 'merely' think of Israelis as "those colossal assholes that regularly bomb us".

You explain why in your first sentence. It's much harder to regularly bomb people you see as human, you see.

By way of example, I'll provide two anecdotes. The strategic bombing of Germany and Japan had widespread support among civilians and the armed forces all the way through the war. However, in 1945 when the British captured Hamburg and got to know the people of one of the hardest hit cities, 21st Army Group had to step up propaganda efforts about how evil the Nazis were to maintain morale. Similarly, when US bombing tactics over Japan switched to low altitude delivery of incinerates, and aircraft to the rear of the bomber stream over a firestorm could smell burnt flesh that made crews throw up, the US had to really crank out propaganda about how inhuman the Japanese were to the bomber crews because morale was tanking.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 23:48 on Nov 30, 2023

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Crazypoops posted:

Man we should play a trivia game! Was it IDF or Nazi Germany?

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPRvbSWV3/

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Blarghalt posted:

I think dehumanization is the product of having and exercising ultimate power over a group of people and needing to justify it.

I could be wrong.

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

You explain why in your first sentence. It's much harder to regularly bomb people you see as human, you see.

By way of example, I'll provide two anecdotes. The strategic bombing of Germany and Japan had widespread support among civilians and the armed forces all the way through the war. However, in 1945 when the British captured Hamburg and got to know the people of one of the hardest hit cities, 21st Army Group had to step up propaganda efforts about how evil the Nazis were to maintain morale. Similarly, when US bombing tactics over Japan switched to low altitude delivery of incinerates, and aircraft to the rear of the bomber stream over a firestorm could smell burnt flesh that made crews throw up, the US had to really crank out propaganda about how inhuman the Japanese were to the bomber crews because morale was tanking.

yikes :smith:

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

A quick google suggests legacy media is not picking up the story. Even AJE's return for "Gaza incubator" is from a week ago reporting on premature babies being transferred from Al-Shifa to a hospital in Egypt.

as far as i can tell other than middle eastern media only a couple of brit tabloids (the daily mail and the mirror) have reported it

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://take.quiz-maker.com/QB1BKZ5IY

I redacted some of the proper nouns that would be an obvious give-away of which ideology of ethnic superiority and conflict-driven territorial expansion was being discussed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

Is it weird that the Chinese killed each other in huge numbers only decades after 25+ million were killed by the Japanese? The cultural memory of 100+ million Indians killed by the British doesn't seem to restrain them from committing massacres themselves. Genocides and large-scale massacres are somewhat distressingly common across history, and it doesn't seem to cause the victims to hesitate if situations place them in a position to be the one terrorizing if other cultural factors have aligned to make it righteous.

Especially anything that happened 10+ years ago is sliding into history and 70+ years ago is pure myth. The mythology of Israel is that Jews uniquely across all space and time have been targets of genocides and have a special duty to resist that ever happening again to them specifically due to their historical exceptionalism. A pogrom against other people is irrelevant because it isn't happening to Jewish people.

Of course, the founders of Israel happily made deals with the Nazis and actually scorned holocaust survivors. Consider that much closer to the time of the holocaust the Israelis were happy to aid the South Africans in all of their own Nazi bullshit without seeing a connection and they didn't have any particular animus against the black South Africans. The Palestinians actually are despised so if the Israelis were humanizing them enough to consider how the Palestinian experience is comparable to their own then I don't think they would show such psychotic glee in terrorizing them.