Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That's the bump stop lol

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Want to explain for non auto inclined?

Elon put a sword of damocles in his car.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GlytchTech/status/1730287021996789820
https://twitter.com/GlytchTech/status/1730289377454985573?s=20

There's also this twitter thread with more. A bit over my basic car knowledge but I'm sure it's full of engineering excellence from Elon and pals

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

i am sad that he came off his drug bender enough to not yell at anyone at the event; but im glad people got to take a bunch of pictures and drive it around and call it a piece of poo poo, opening entirely new avenues for elon to yell at the public/a customer.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

There's also this twitter thread with more. A bit over my basic car knowledge but I'm sure it's full of engineering excellence from Elon and pals

lmao it's probably just a bunch of new old stock model 3 parts and new stamped parts they put 3 seconds of thought into, while also independently recreating some of the worst truck engineering decisions in the modern era

what a loving mess

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 1, 2023

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

its a good video game if you install these mods

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

MrQwerty posted:

i am sad that he came off his drug bender enough to not yell at anyone at the event; but im glad people got to take a bunch of pictures and drive it around and call it a piece of poo poo, opening entirely new avenues for elon to yell at the public/a customer.

lmao it's probably just a bunch of new old stock model 3 parts and new stamped parts they put 3 seconds of thought into

what a loving mess

$100,000

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Snow chains now have a real comedy option if they get loose

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

parthenocarpy posted:

its a good video game if you install these mods

elon created the bethesda truck

just wait for someone else to iron out these bugs and this puppy will roar

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

WhyteRyce posted:

i hate him because he helped destroy the written tech review article

This is true but then you can also blame gamers nexus who everyone loves otherwise for that!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

They don't actually expect anyone to go off road in these

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

Don't forget 'near infinite mass'!

Mathematically 11k lbs is just as near to infinity as any other number. Elon wins again!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They don't actually expect anyone to go off road in these

that bolt on the control arm is going to contact the tire if you go over a speed hump faster than 1mph

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Building the bodywork out of hardened steel and the structure out of mild steel seems like a good idea!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MrQwerty posted:

that bolt on the control arm is going to contact the tire if you go over a speed hump faster than 1mph

:lol: picturing that every demo driver was told not to jostle the car under any circumstances or the tire will pop and then elon will come down and yell at them for letting down earf

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

WhyteRyce posted:

:lol: picturing that every demo driver was told not to jostle the car under any circumstances or the tire will pop and then elon will come down and yell at them for letting down earf

maybe I'm wrong and they've compensated for a 5 ton truck by making the suspension the stiffest piece of poo poo to ever roll off a line

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I have a 2001 Honda 4 wheeler and I had to do some front end maintenance on it this weekend, specifically greasing the ball joints. That 22 year old atv has heavier duty components than the cyber truck

mds2 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 1, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

mds2 posted:

I have a 2001 Honda 4 wheeler and I had to do some front end maintenance on it this weekend, specifically greasing the ball joint. That 22 year old atv has heavier duty components than the cyber truck

it also doesn't have a control arm bolt positioned to pop the tire at the slightest provocation :lmao:

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Pointy thing points at inflated thing

Engineering!

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Piell posted:

How the gently caress do you open the Cybertruck door if you don't have the window down? Musk has his entire loving hand inside the window to open it.

Has Tesla ever stated why it feels it needs to reinvent the door?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

William Bear posted:

It's cool, idiot

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

William Bear posted:

they sell novelty

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/30/technology/elon-musk-dealbook-advertisers.html

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
those poor, stupid bastards in that thing

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

maybeadracula posted:

It's cool, idiot

Sorry I meant to say

"It's cool TO an idiot"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

William Bear posted:

they aren't allowed to use any design or engineering principles from an extremely mature industry because doing so wouldn't be disruptive

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I don’t think this matters, it’s not like any of this is connected to parts that move around a lot or anything, much less move at an extremely high speed where something could really get hosed up.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

William Bear posted:

I think it's all that the handles produce drag. And drag is just about the wokest thing there is

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Just remembered what they remind me of

oh god you're right

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

William Bear posted:

For the Tesla itself IIRC it was from when Musk wanted it to be able to withstand biological warfare attacks so the windows go up through the door into the car frame in a really stupid way or something like that and it fucks everything else up.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Just wondering if the Jaws of Life will cut through this bulletproof steel when first responders can't open the doors because there are no door handles?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

no one inside a Cybertruck will need the jaws of life after a collision

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

kazil posted:

no one inside a Cybertruck will need the jaws of life after a collision

no one in the car it hit will need them either, unless it's a semi

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

priznat posted:

MKBHD is a pretty gentle reviewer on everything it’s not like he just gives apple or tesla a soft ride. I like his videos as they’re well produced and he’s a charismatic presenter but they’re very light and fluffy.

Seeing him express disappointment in Tesla like this is pretty damning.

He's literally sat in his own Tesla, pointed out how the interior is poo poo by showing a glaringly poo poo part of the interior, and then proceeded to suck Elong's dick anyways.

I lost a ton of respect for him once he started acting like a completely unapologetic Musk simp, and that was awhile ago.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

... the town square:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

building the global town square like a CYBRTRVKK

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

quote:

Musk’s Cybertruck Could Drive Tesla Into a Ditch
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2023-11-30/tesla-cybertruck-price-arrival-dates-may-drive-musk-s-company-into-a-ditch-lplu2nj4

Woke Bloomberg!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

nine-gear crow posted:

Thiel destroyed Gawker because they outted him as a gay man like a decade earlier in the context of "known closeted gay man Peter Thiel is up to some horribly evil poo poo you should pay attention to." He then spent like 10 years pouring money into anyone and everyone who came at Gawker with a legal case in the hopes of destroying it in the most roundabout way. For example, the floorshitter Chuck C. Johnson's lawsuit against Gawker where it became public knowledge that he pulled his pants down and took a massive poo poo on the floor of a college dorm hall during a party as a part of the discovery process was funded by Peter Thiel. As was Hulk Hogan's racist sex tape lawsuit, which was the stab that finally did them in after who knows how many other failed tries from Thiel.

No, that was Thiel watching Gawker stab themselves over and over in a series of increasingly stupid ways with a series of increasingly sharp and dangerous objects. Like at first they were just running with scissors and mild lacerations, then they lost a finger playing with a butterfly knife, then stabbing themselves with a bigass combat knife... Until at the end Gawker is covered with blood and major wounds, and they are drunkenly waving around a giant scottish broadsword, and they go "hey guys watch this!" and manage to chop off their own head.

And then Thiel stands up and unsheathes a little wooden toy sword for children, and yells "Ha ha, I have bested my foe! Fear me, for the same will be done should any man cross me again!"

Gawker killed Gawker. They got an order from a federal judge and said "nuh-uh, we're leaving the sextape video up. The first amendment says so!" That is put a gun to your own head stupid.

Giving Thiel credit is buying into the same rich super genius billionaire bullshit that Musk is proving conclusively idiotic. Peter Thiel is so loving dumb that he thinks vampirism has some basis in fact.

Any lawyer could have gotten a giant loving damage award from them with the way Gawker went about the whole affair, and Hogan could have plenty of good ones without Thiel's help. Hogan wasn't penniless and good lawyers will work contingency when they see that much blood in the water. Hogan was gonna sue, and he was gonna win a bazillion dollars because Gawker treated the whole thing like a joke until waaaay too late.

After Hogan, Thiel's #2 candidate for his big Megamind revanchge scheme was... some dolt who claimed to have "invented email" and was suing because Gawker wasn't crediting him. loving dipshit stuff that would amount to Thiel paying both sets of lawyers fees.

He's just another dumb rear end in a top hat who got lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I hate to apply the brakes, but as severe as that looks, that's actually pretty standard. My Mazda has a similar multi-link setup with that alarming-looking ball joint right up top precariously positioned over the tire tread.

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

I don’t think this matters, it’s not like any of this is connected to parts that move around a lot or anything, much less move at an extremely high speed where something could really get hosed up.

This is correct. The tire and that ball joint with the pokey bit are not going to hit each other because the steering knuckle there is all one piece. That aluminum curve at the top where the ball joint pokes down is the top part of a big, single, sturdy piece. The levelling sensor being exposed to rocks IS a little goofy though.

The Cybertruck is going to be a limited-run vehicle, and units sold may see their value go up and down, but ultimately they will need a more competitive truck that actually can workhorse in the 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and 1-ton lineup that uses the company's design language, like the ones I posted earlier itt. A hardbody, stainless steel truck is novel but not really what people need or want at the end of the day outside of WOW, COOL.

e:

The curvy part at the left (that's the top part we're looking at) is where the ball joint goes and pokes down through; you can see it's designed to go around the tire, and the main bearing in the center is where you bolt the wheel's hub to.

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 1, 2023