Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Burns posted:

So i managed to lure the gjall oit and took him down with a Huntman Bow (took 40 needle arrows). I managed to get enough cores to make stuff now. I refined 19 pieces of eitr so its not really enough to make any of the special items, but its a start.

Even independent of the Mistlands gear stuff, I would highly suggest making the Draugr Fang instead of the Huntsman bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Even independent of the Mistlands gear stuff, I would highly suggest making the Draugr Fang instead of the Huntsman bow.

Heh, i have 2 draugr fangs, but both were under the gjall.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
There are sometimes outdoor iron piles in the swamp. So with an antler pickaxe you can go to iron, then silver without killing the elder or bone mass. The modor drop is needed to make plains and mistland gear.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm guessing once fire lands are out they will work on the barren frozen north and maybe something for the ocean and the game will be "done"?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm guessing once fire lands are out they will work on the barren frozen north and maybe something for the ocean and the game will be "done"?

That is what they have said. Personally I hope they don't do too much with the oceans I kind of like them the way they are. I would much rather they do another hearth and home style expansion with new building materials and cooking and poo poo.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I would expect them to add something to Ocean biome after Ashlands and before Deep North, it looks like they are alternating between smaller updates (e.g. Frost caves, Hildir) and larger ones (Mistlands, Ashlands, H&H)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's a shame their engine probably can't handle multiple water layers, would be nice to have some rivers coming from mountain biomes that led into the oceans, or just wider rivers and elevated lakes and waterfalls.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Molybdenum posted:

There are sometimes outdoor iron piles in the swamp. So with an antler pickaxe you can go to iron, then silver without killing the elder or bone mass. The modor drop is needed to make plains and mistland gear.

Yeah, you can find them pretty easily on the edges of swamp against something taller, they stick out pretty well. I've found some in flat areas too for whatever reason. I just wanted to do a gigantic leapfrog all at once.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you want to talk about a general quality of life update I would love to have something that fleshes out early game portals, magic, and other applications for surtling cores.

Make a super sophisticated portal you can't deconstruct that consumes a ton of resources but can transport metal.

Make something you can construct and put in a fireplace that makes the fire permanent without consuming wood.

Make a magic device that requires a special fuel but automatically plants seeds you insert into it.

Make a potion that increases your carry capacity.

Make an expensive consumable that you can carry that automatically breaks and teleports you to your bed when you hit one HP.

Make a special chest that uses eitr and can connect between game seeds the way portals do currently.

There are a ton of relatively difficult to obtain resources that don't really have a purpose now, It would be rad to give them a reason to exist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A way to automate gathering of basic resources would be nice, skeleton powered mine or forestry station that just accumulates wood/stone.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

That is what they have said. Personally I hope they don't do too much with the oceans I kind of like them the way they are. I would much rather they do another hearth and home style expansion with new building materials and cooking and poo poo.

I really want some faster boats for lategame and maybe a bit more to do out there. You spend a ton of time sailing and it's pretty fundamentally the exact same experience from bronze age karves onward. Moder provides a tiny QoL improvement but even then it's only up for 25% of the time max.

I don't even know how much vertical progression i want (since you're right, I do really like how it generally feels) but I would like something a bit more advanced than the longship and maybe some decorative/side grade options for the ships, as well as a few changes to the seas (maybe triggered by distance from the center or by boss kill)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

trevorreznik posted:

Yeah, you can find them pretty easily on the edges of swamp against something taller, they stick out pretty well. I've found some in flat areas too for whatever reason. I just wanted to do a gigantic leapfrog all at once.

I once drowned mining swamp-iron because it kept making me slip into the ankle high water.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It would be fun to have an upgraded boat with oars that your summoned skeletons can work.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

It would be fun to have an upgraded boat with oars that your summoned skeletons can work.
Exactly! Or you already have other elemental magic, get a boat that has some wind magic with it.

Hell, pick between faster rowing speed from skeletons or faster speed before the wind from wind depending on your choice of spell/boat choice. Idk, but for how much of a connective tissue/space the ocean is, it does feel a bit sparse especially late. And I love sailing through the mist!

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

One of my absolute fav mods lets you put surt cores in your boat hold and push Shift to burn them in return for huge speed increases. It gives me a reason to value them in the late game and lets me take a power other than Moder for once.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The pipe dream I've brought up before is a boat that I can do stuff on - smelters, forges, crafting and cook stations. Go ashore to get supplies and harvest/plant crops.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

The pipe dream I've brought up before is a boat that I can do stuff on - smelters, forges, crafting and cook stations. Go ashore to get supplies and harvest/plant crops.

This is all fun and games until something sinks it and you lose 100% of your poo poo.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

This is all fun and games until something sinks it and you lose 100% of your poo poo.

No one said the ocean life was safe.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

No one said the ocean life was safe.

8000 stone says my plains base is safe.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 29, 2023

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

trevorreznik posted:

I didn't realize you could skip past Yagluth like that, that's really cool.

I once tried to go straight for silver from the meadows, complete with making a gigantic trench up a mountain to find silver without a wishbone (I died a lot to drakes, and had fires everywhere to keep warm), and found out that I still couldn't get the silver vein to break until someone broke a piece off with an iron pickaxe.

yeah, the rollercoaster of learning you can get hard wood without an upgraded axe by creating a tree catastrophe and then finding out that silver is too hard for gravity is crazy. Like pick a lane, game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Have you tried hitting silver with a tree?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

The thing I've wanted for a while is an airship.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Kibayasu posted:

There was a great mod for this but it looks like it's abandoned now :rip:

Burns
May 10, 2008

God i hate ocean fog so very much.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Burns posted:

God i hate ocean fog so very much.

I know it's not the same fog but a mistlands-tier boat with a bound Wisplight could look sick as hell.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Ho ho ho

Now i have 90 soft tissue

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9TzQ0-2tcg

Saw this the other day, apparently this exact thing has been a mod for a year.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 30, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Which type of player are most of the people in the thread, the "bring everything back to the first base and keep refining and expanding on it" type or the "the new location is now my main base and I will build it up before doing it in the next biome" type?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

metropole style here

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

piano chimp posted:

There was a great mod for this but it looks like it's abandoned now :rip:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9TzQ0-2tcg

Saw this the other day, apparently this exact thing has been a mod for a year.

Well poo poo. And it actually looks like it was updated, just not the main description.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Which type of player are most of the people in the thread, the "bring everything back to the first base and keep refining and expanding on it" type or the "the new location is now my main base and I will build it up before doing it in the next biome" type?
Semi-both. I almost never keep building up my first location except to make a portal hub, but try to find areas between border zones that I make a few "main" areas. Right now I have really two main bases, one in the black forest near a huge swamp and good waterway access that I used as my base for a good chunk of the game and my big base in the plains that's been my plains/Mistlands section hub. I do have some smaller bases scattered about : I found the trader very early and used the area near him for an early minor black forest base until I found the one near the swamps and totally ripped up all the important pieces and moved to there in a nerve-wracking few sailing trips. I used that black forest/swamp base for most of my time in both of those biomes since it also has Bonemass in the middle of it. That middle-level base also wasn't near a mountain, so I did build a forging setup on an island with a big mountain at the base of the mountain then as I pushed into the biome took over one of those destroyed tower things and built it up a bit and so have a small mountain base. Limited wood was used in its construction and it's mostly to give a place to have a secure portal and to store silver ore. The area was small enough that it was easier to keep the nearby forge setup at the base of the mountain working and to just run the ore down than try to build a new refinery and forge up on the mountain.

Normally I would have just moved my swamp/forest base to a new area, but the swamp was big enough that it's been my iron mining center for the whole game, so I kept it going just for long-term convenience.

No idea what I'm going to do for Ashlands, though. My plains/Mistlands base is pretty far to the west, but is also fairly equatorial so I don't know how convenient it will be to do the Mistlands deal of moving into a few waystations while portaling everything out. I suspect I'll do like I did with the mountains and build a small staging base outside of the area and then either scavenging that base and moving it into the Ashlands or just portaling everything out like with the Mistlands.

E: the most important criteria for every base is accessibility to sea lanes. If I'd found a good swamp/mountain combo I'd have put a pin in that and probably built that up as soon as I could survive in the swamps instead of hauling stuff out of the swamp.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 30, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I built up an original meadows house that I used up until I was comfortable just hanging out in the plains at which point I built a gigantic plains home and farm that I've lived in since.

Just the terraforming is probably several thousand stones so I don't see myself moving.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I built up an original meadows house that I used up until I was comfortable just hanging out in the plains at which point I built a gigantic plains home and farm that I've lived in since.

Just the terraforming is probably several thousand stones so I don't see myself moving.

I challenge you to find a clearing in the Mistlands and not build something cool.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I always build up a new base when I enter a new biome with the exception of Black Forest because it’s so common and accessible. So I tend to make a small starter village, a pretty big swamp base, haul a forge up to the mountains and fill in one of the abandoned strictures until I am done with mountain then take that forge equipment with me to plains. I also pretty much never terraform.

For mistlands there are a lot more options because only one item cannot be portaled (and doesn’t need to be) so I either make a new plains base nearby or a small outpost farm to portal stuff back and forth.

Building bases is pretty much the most fun part of the game, much more than sailing. Couldn’t imagine staying in one place the whole time lol

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
If anyone is interested in a pretty big overhaul mod, there's one out there called Reforged (Krumpac). It used to be behind a paywall but isn't anymore after the devs stated their dislike of the practice. Anyway, there have been a few streamers playing it recently, one named Gladd in particular has been pretty entertaining. It's in a closed beta state but I have an inside track for access, if you're interested shoot me a PM.

It's a far more granular / grindy version of the game where you'll spend a lot more time in the earlier biomes because there is far more to do. Enemies are tougher and the progression track is way more involved. Anyway if you're interested check it out, if not, no biggie.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Migrating is definately more of a necessity with no portals. But this also exposes the fact that the boats simply do not have enough cargo slots and multiple trips will be required to move essentials. I need to remind myself to refortify the dock on the starting island and leave boats parts there. Ive gotten stuck having to raft around on a few occasions and its painful.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I enjoy building bases, but all the later ones usually end up oversized and empty because I just portal back to my home base in the meadows / forest. Sailing a boatload of ore back to the starting continent every once in a while is a lot less work than sailing / re-mining everything that goes into my forge and kitchen.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rjmccall posted:

I enjoy building bases, but all the later ones usually end up oversized and empty because I just portal back to my home base in the meadows / forest. Sailing a boatload of ore back to the starting continent every once in a while is a lot less work than sailing / re-mining everything that goes into my forge and kitchen.
How so? Once you find where you want to settle it can be as simple as taking your current forge/workshop/kitchen with you on your boat to the new location and you're done. I only leave that stuff if I think I'll be back there regularly enough to use it, which isn't common. It's one longboat ride instead of multiple trips.

Or I re-mine because I want to make a fun-looking base instead of stripping it, but moving it with me has been the easiest in terms of resources.

E: I guess I'm thinking of metals only instead of massive quantities of wood/stone/etc if you're moving a ton around or really building up that area. I saved that big construction effort for my Plains base purely for that reason.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 30, 2023

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Maybe it’s not a lot more work, but having to set up multiple workshops at each base with all their associated storage does seem like pretty big investment. And it must make it a lot more important to find the right bit of biome instead of just going, hey, there’s at least enough swamp here to spawn crypts, let’s make a portal-base and go exploring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I've got one main base set up with everything in the swamp with my mates on our server. Mostly I put it there just to see if I could, but it worked out alright in the end. Only downside is portaling anywhere gives me the wet debuff as I didn't realise it seems to move your character physically on the map while you teleport to the other side.

I'll have smaller workshops in other camps but for the most part it's just to repair gear, or if the resources there (plains/mistlands) are just too far away to bother hauling.