Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Popete posted:

lol what is this Ohtani hater post?

I'm just sick of the last 3+ years of the national baseball media soiling themselves over how good this guy is and how special and what a "unicorn..." Then the last year has been nonstop, "Will he be traded? If he goes to FA will he resign with the Angels? What about a mystery team? He probably wants to stay on the West coast...how does that affect his market?" Then he blows out his arm and won't even pitch for a year+ but still wants $50 million or more per year and carte blanche to determine his own schedule and routine and a gurantee that he can pitch again... Suffice it to say I'm not interested in the nonsense. Happy the Yankees don't seem to be making serious overtures in his direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I too like it when the Yankees don’t acquire good players

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya it would suck for my favorite team to sign arguably the greatest talent MLB has ever seen. Just awful.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Get back to me when the guy wins a team award. If he and Mike Trout were that good, those two and 24 jabronies should have been able to back into a number 6 seed for the playoffs at least once.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Ohtani is only meeting with non-Cubs teams to apologize and politely decline their offers in person.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Get back to me when the guy wins a team award. If he and Mike Trout were that good, those two and 24 jabronies should have been able to back into a number 6 seed for the playoffs at least once.

(Unironically agree )

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

lol come onnnnnnnnnnn

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Calling them jabronis is generous. Remember you’re talking about the Angels.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'm just sick of the last 3+ years of the national baseball media soiling themselves over how good this guy is and how special and what a "unicorn..." Then the last year has been nonstop, "Will he be traded? If he goes to FA will he resign with the Angels? What about a mystery team? He probably wants to stay on the West coast...how does that affect his market?" Then he blows out his arm and won't even pitch for a year+ but still wants $50 million or more per year and carte blanche to determine his own schedule and routine and a gurantee that he can pitch again... Suffice it to say I'm not interested in the nonsense. Happy the Yankees don't seem to be making serious overtures in his direction.

lol. i hate the constant circling of ohtani tradeposts, but lmao if you don't think he is in fact a legitimate unicorn for being able to both pitch and hit as well as he has. there's a reason there's like 12 guys who have tried it over 100 years of baseball and the only guy that comes arguably closest is Babe Ruth himself.

sorry you hate hearing about a guy who is going to probably be one of the easiest locks for the hall of fame we've ever seen

(i do think, realistically, he's going to burn out on pitching faster than people are willing to give him credit for, but it's a very cynical thought that i hope i'm proven wrong in)

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

bawfuls posted:

with the notoriously successful Toronto Blue Jays, yeah that tracks

They gotta win it some time. :v:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

That's not how baseball works

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Trivia question while we all wait for Ohtani to sign with the Cubs:

Which player holds the record for longest career played entirely for one manager?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Good question

Uh

Jimmy Foxx

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Trivia question while we all wait for Ohtani to sign with the Cubs:

Which player holds the record for longest career played entirely for one manager?

Somebody who played for Connie Mack?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That was my first instinct when I saw the question, too, Mack or McGraw, but no--everyone you'd guess also played for some other team(s) at the end of their career, generally.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Chipper jones

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Chipper played 16+ seasons for Bobby Cox, which might be the unqualified record for one player/manager combo, but also 2 years for Fredi Gonzalez at the end.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How are those different stats

Edit

Oh never mind I understand

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I said entire career for only one manager

e: the answer's not actually a big surprise if you have a decent knowledge of who the long lived managers and players were. Hint 1: Both the manager and the player are in the Hall of Fame

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Exclusively for one manager yeah

That is a much harder question

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mike Scioscia

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good guess, I believe Scioscia is the runner-up

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Found a pitcher at 14 seasons but wouldn't have guessed it without google. From the hint - I assume it's the right answer.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Sparky Anderson?

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
Smoltz? Nope, forgot about his brief stints in his last season.

Imasalmon fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 1, 2023

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

lmao

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Eric the Mauve posted:

Good guess, I believe Scioscia is the runner-up

Kirby Puckett would have been my homer guess but I think he's a year behind Scioscia

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
DiMaggio maybe? I think he was exclusively under Stengel.

waffy
Oct 31, 2010
Jim Palmer?

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Is it Don Drysdale? I think he was with Alston from start to finish

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bravesword posted:

I too like it when the Yankees don’t acquire good players

Ohtani really doesn't make sense for the Yankees.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
O's supposedly kicking the tires on Hader, Chapman, Kimbrel, and Hicks. Hader I'll believe when I see it and not a second before, and Chapman can gently caress off but Hicks seems like that might be a good buy? Even for a team that's going to spend no money because John Angelos is a piece of poo poo, 3-4 years at 8-10 mil should be very affordable and would help close that hole at the back of the bullpen right now.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

It does if they got rid of Stanton

The real issue is he doesn't seem to have any interest in playing in New York, on either team, not that they don't want him or it doesn't make sense for him

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I just don’t think he would have any interest in dealing with the NY media environment

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

I was married to an L.A. Women in the early millennium. So i followed the Angels as my American League team. They haven't had good pitching since 2009. Even if you overlook the many ways they wasted good money on players like Wells,Hamilton,Pujols,Rendon, they can't draft for poo poo.They have not drafted an impact pitcher in almost two decades.
That's it,plus stupid moves like this past year being buyers and sellers.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm going to let this slide, but only this once.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So I just looked at the ‘best’ Angels 1st round picks since Trout, and the two that are basically identical in terms of BWAR are Randal Grichuk and CJ Cron at about 12 BWAR

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Usually I think the star players have a lot of responsibility towards winning but in the angels case they may actually just be a terrible org

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

mcmagic posted:

:prepop: