Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

teagone posted:

You said the trailer looks like a fan film. That's just silly talk, lol.

I specifically said that the low quality CGI gives it the fan film flavor. I did not comment on the direction or cinematography or anything else really. It just genuinely reminds me of the weird platicy-shiny CGI you see in fan films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That trailer looked like some piece of garbage I shot in my back yard with a VHS camcorder!!!

It looked alright. Compared to the Fury Road teaser it felt more character focused and didn't have many action shots. I was even lukewarm on that teaser too. Wasn't until I saw the main trailer for Fury Road that I sold me on the film. I was more excited by the prospect of revisiting that world more than I was by the things in the Furiosa trailer. The song was baller, though.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 1, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Colonel Whitey posted:

That shot in Fury Road where the steering wheel flies at the camera is ok but the cgi in the Furiosa trailer is not? Ok goons

I've heard complaints about that shot in real life and I had to bite my tongue.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

the anti woke crowd once again hiding behind their fake cgi criticisms, just like they did with females ghostbusters 😔

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

teagone posted:

You said the trailer looks like a fan film. That's just silly talk, lol.

I am ride or die for Miller and don't think this trailer looks good. It looks like a Netflix movie. I want to believe!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I thought the trailer was underwhelming and agree that the CG looks rough even for a trailer cut, which probably will get more negative reactions than usual due to the (false) belief that most of Fury Road was practical.

That said I still expect the final film to kick rear end. Miller has a stellar track record and the cast is great. I’ll be in the cinema on day one.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the only thing that really stood out to me is furiosa's prosthetic arm, which looks significantly worse than the one in fury road did

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Furiosa looks exceedingly digital was my first impression, orange and teal rear end movie. Which I tend to subconsciously read as "straight to VOD"

But Fury Road had that same look I'm pretty sure.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Furiosa looks like a lot of fun. I’m reading that book about the production of fury road currently, and maybe they went a simpler path for this one vs the hell that everyone hated in fury road.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Mordiceius posted:

So my company's trailer team worked on the Furiosa trailer (managing the translations/subtitling for international versions) so I got a chance to watch this in one of our office's big theater rooms.

It looks very good on a big screen.

Man it looked cool on my cracked phone screen, pretty pumped

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Trailer looked good to me :shrug: And the editor of Fury Road (George Miller's wife Margaret Sixel) and Junkie XL who did the score for Fury Road are both returning for Furiosa, hell yeah

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Loved Fury Road and still looking forward to this, but yeah that CG looks very rough. What worries me the most are the shots where a vehicles’ movement seems off and that it weighs as much as one of my son’s plastic monster trucks.

How significantly does unfinished trailer CG get touched up? I figured it just got a couple lighting and texture passes.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

checkplease posted:

Furiosa looks like a lot of fun. I’m reading that book about the production of fury road currently, and maybe they went a simpler path for this one vs the hell that everyone hated in fury road.

I wonder where it was filmed because I don't think they'd be welcome back to Namibia after they hosed up so much conserved land making Fury Road

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Peccadillo posted:

I wonder where it was filmed because I don't think they'd be welcome back to Namibia after they hosed up so much conserved land making Fury Road
New South Wales, Australia according to Wiki

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Rageaholic posted:

New South Wales, Australia according to Wiki

gently caress yeah, I hope he hired bikies from Broken Hill to do stunts and paid them in slabs, if we're getting back to roots

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

45 years after the collapse? loving hell, how old is Max Rockatansky?

Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i3zrzyLOCw

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 1, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Dinosaurs! posted:

Loved Fury Road and still looking forward to this, but yeah that CG looks very rough. What worries me the most are the shots where a vehicles’ movement seems off and that it weighs as much as one of my son’s plastic monster trucks.

How significantly does unfinished trailer CG get touched up? I figured it just got a couple lighting and texture passes.

There are quite a lot of examples of shots getting dramatically upgraded between trailers and final films. Quite a lot can potentially be done.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Add me in with the people who thought the trailer was pretty meh, but I liked fury road in the cinema enough that I can't imagine not seeing furiosa the same way

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

edogawa rando posted:

Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i3zrzyLOCw

Timeless, moi nayme is Max

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I just started watching Fury Road again and he does say in his opening narration that he was a cop before the collapse. so he's a very handsome 80

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The CGI is obviously unfinished but no one is complaining that the trailer needed fifteen seconds of head cards to explain the plot before getting into any real footage? Like if you realized your movie has no story or is incomprehensible just do a fuckin music video like Charlie's Angels 2.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Dillbag posted:

The CGI is obviously unfinished but no one is complaining that the trailer needed fifteen seconds of head cards to explain the plot before getting into any real footage? Like if you realized your movie has no story or is incomprehensible just do a fuckin music video like Charlie's Angels 2.

Nah that owned.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah those text cards kinda fit the… grindhouse is the wrong word, but whatever gritty filmmaking vibe the mad max series has.

As for the timeline stuff, the mad max series timeline has never been comprehensible. The whole concept is that its legends told around a post apocalyptic fire and people are very hazy about the actual time scale and attribute the actions of multiple people to single legendary names.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Colonel Whitey posted:

That shot in Fury Road where the steering wheel flies at the camera is ok

well ackchually, that was a practical shot!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah those text cards kinda fit the… grindhouse is the wrong word, but whatever gritty filmmaking vibe the mad max series has.

As for the timeline stuff, the mad max series timeline has never been comprehensible. The whole concept is that its legends told around a post apocalyptic fire and people are very hazy about the actual time scale and attribute the actions of multiple people to single legendary names.

Ozploitation. Exploitation and grindhouse both kinda mean the same thing except the tinge of oz

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Think the trailer music was even based on Thunderstruck by acdc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af0P6XEkI7Y

You can hear it if you squint

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 1, 2023

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

edogawa rando posted:

The framing devices in every film after the first one can be taken to suggest they're all separate stories collected and passed down through oral tradition with the details changing to accommodate one mythical figure connecting them as a single saga.

the original Max might be long dead if he ever lived at all.

or it could be a nod to the first Mad Max coming out just about 45 years ago.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Furiosa looks cool. Just reset your expectations from it being Fury Road 2. It doesn't look like it's going for the same vibe as Fury Road, which actually had a ton of restraint compared with all the concept art and wilder preproduction work they did for the film. This looks like it's leaning much more into the big weird 90s edgy Tank Girl/Image Comics/Heavy Metal version of the world which is seen in that art, and which Thunderdome somewhat anticipated but was too mild to pull off. Neat!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Furiosa looks cool. Just reset your expectations from it being Fury Road 2. It doesn't look like it's going for the same vibe as Fury Road, which actually had a ton of restraint compared with all the concept art and wilder preproduction work they did for the film. This looks like it's leaning much more into the big weird 90s edgy Tank Girl/Image Comics/Heavy Metal version of the world which is seen in that art, and which Thunderdome somewhat anticipated but was too mild to pull off. Neat!

Have you not watched Fury Road recently? That poo poo's straight out of a copy of 2000 AD from 1995

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I don’t understand showing bad CG in a trailer. You can just do a shorter trailer that doesn’t show bad CG.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
All I could think about during that trailer was The Hobbit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mcmagic posted:

I don’t understand showing bad CG in a trailer. You can just do a shorter trailer that doesn’t show bad CG.

They gotta start the marketing cycle.

Money money money

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A lot of films effects are finished weeks or days before the film is released

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'm all in on anything Miller wants to do in this universe, but calling this and odyssey at the start of the trailer and then showing us all the same poo poo we saw in Fury Road was disappointing. Looks like there's very few new ideas in this.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm all in on anything Miller wants to do in this universe, but calling this and odyssey at the start of the trailer and then showing us all the same poo poo we saw in Fury Road was disappointing. Looks like there's very few new ideas in this.

This has never been a franchise with that many new ideas. Every Mad Max movie is built on the idea that "car goes vroom!"

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

This has never been a franchise with that many new ideas. Every Mad Max movie is built on the idea that "the only person that can stop a bad guy with a car is a good guy with a car"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
If you haven't played the game version of Mad Max, I would thoroughly recommend it.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Alhazred posted:

This has never been a franchise with that many new ideas. Every Mad Max movie is built on the idea that "car goes vroom!"

Also a dog child has a razor-sharp boomerang and kills people with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I always wondered where he got that. Mad Max 6: Where the gently caress did the feral kid get that cool weapon