Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Poinsettia Tension is a good Gundam name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Christmas is my favorite holiday. I’m sorry so many goons seem to hate it. I’ll pray for yall. I won’t pray hard but I will pray.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Christmas is goated.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!
Christmas is great when it comes to spending time with people you love. It's not great when its participation is required, or when it becomes more about consumerism or creating the """perfect""" holiday.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stop being a wallflower

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
I'm not; you're misunderstanding my point. I love spending time with family and friends. When I say 'participation is required' I'm talking more along the lines of social obligation to put up a tree, decorate your house, etc.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

oldpainless posted:

Christmas is my favorite holiday. I’m sorry so many goons seem to hate it. I’ll pray for yall. I won’t pray hard but I will pray.

More like oldprayless

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm not; you're misunderstanding my point. I love spending time with family and friends. When I say 'participation is required' I'm talking more along the lines of social obligation to put up a tree, decorate your house, etc.

That isn't real

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I have finished praying. Hopefully Allah has heard my beseeching and brings joy to you.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Christmas is goated.

Usually I made a rib roast actually.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

We usually do a ham a turkey and some beef roast. Always meant to get a duck for one but never had time.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

oldpainless posted:

buddy I don't hate it, but I could do without most of the music.

And I said the lights are tacky, not that I hated them. I read about some dudes not liking LEDs b/c they are "tacky." They're all tacky, equally.

I accept your prayers on my behalf.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Blue Christmas lights are the best ones. Or the ones with blue, purple, and green.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Christmas is great when it comes to spending time with people you love. It's not great when its participation is required, or when it becomes more about consumerism or creating the """perfect""" holiday.

Pretty much my opinion, with the addition that Christmas music needs to be played a lot less. Working through the Christmas season as a retail worker is made significantly more painful by having to listen to the same fee songs on repeat

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I wholeheartedly approve of the Technology Connections guy's years-long quest for a string of LED lights that looks like the incandescents of yesteryear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1rzP2xIx4

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Christmas lights make the darkness of winter a lot more bearable and we should all keep them up until Valentine's Day at least.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
If Christmas would stay in its lane and stop taking over additional months it would be fine and a lot fewer people would be burned out on its bullshit.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Christmas lights rock, but also, I wanna know which Hallmark movie town forces you to put up decorations or else. I don’t think I’ve ever put up decorations.

Regardless Christmas is in january as everyone knows, so there’s plenty of time yet to get some cheap lights or a little novelty tree for the window

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

If Christmas would stay in its lane and stop taking over additional months it would be fine and a lot fewer people would be burned out on its bullshit.

My local grocery store put the Christmas decorations up on Halloween night and it's the closest I've ever come to demanding to speak to the manager.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I put up a single string of white lights in my front window than fill my apartment with lights. Well not this year, it's too bad of a year to have Christmas.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I don't want to see or hear a single thing about Christmas until Black Friday at the earliest.

Walmart putting up their Christmas poo poo in September is absolutely ridiculous and it needs to stop.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Christmas lights rock, but also, I wanna know which Hallmark movie town forces you to put up decorations or else. I don’t think I’ve ever put up decorations.

Regardless Christmas is in january as everyone knows, so there’s plenty of time yet to get some cheap lights or a little novelty tree for the window

My old town requires Christmas lights and they just banned dancing.

The place I live now is better, they have this huge harvest festival and I saw someone building a...I guess it's a statue out of wicker. I don't really understand all the local traditions but thankfully a friendly crowd has just shown up, I assume to explain it all to

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Technology Connections guy makes me feel so much more normal and reasonable about my own small neuroses.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

My mom loves Christmas so much that one tree is no longer enough, so she puts up several throughout her house every year. I used to be a little embarrassed by it, her house looks like a Hallmark showroom on steroids every year. It makes her really happy and that's awesome. But as we get older I realize that we don't have that many Christmases left together and when that time comes I'm going to miss my moms crazy Christmas house :unsmith:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

* I think we can all agree that Christmas Shoes is the worst song ever created, though.

In terms of schmaltz, sure. But holy poo poo there are so many bad Christmas songs. “Ding-A-Ling the Christmas Bell”? “Santa’s Comin’ in a Whirly Bird”? “Santa’s Got A Choi-Choo Train”?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Those are made up loving songs. As bad as the UK is for lovely music I refuse to believe those are real songs.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Yeah, it's really just that I hate Christmas music. Even the good songs wore out their welcome decades ago, and the bad ones keep getting more covers where the singers compete on how horribly they can stretch single-stanza gimmick songs into 5 minute warbling bullshit.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Wow, someone’s never heard Christmas Tree Farm by Taylor Swift

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

oldpainless posted:

Less about the holiday itself & more about the commercialization bullshit along with "expectations" of certain types of people. Plus Christmas music sucks & like others have said, I'm tired of seeing holiday crap in stores before Halloween even hits.

Don't even get me started on the loving annoying charity commercials every 5 minutes either. If I could ad block that garbage & never hear Sarah McLachlan again I'd be in heaven.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation

Blue Moonlight posted:

In terms of schmaltz, sure. But holy poo poo there are so many bad Christmas songs. “Ding-A-Ling the Christmas Bell”? “Santa’s Comin’ in a Whirly Bird”? “Santa’s Got A Choi-Choo Train”?

I Want A Hippopotamus for Christmas, Twelve Days of Christmas... there are a lot of 'em.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Josef bugman posted:

Those are made up loving songs. As bad as the UK is for lovely music I refuse to believe those are real songs.

“Ding-A-Ling The Christmas Bell” is literally the “plot” of “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer”, but instead of a reindeer, it’s a loving bell.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Just listen to Sleigh Ride, the objectively best Xmas song.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I Want A Hippopotamus for Christmas, Twelve Days of Christmas... there are a lot of 'em.

Blue Moonlight posted:

“Ding-A-Ling The Christmas Bell” is literally the “plot” of “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer”, but instead of a reindeer, it’s a loving bell.

No. These are not songs they are crimes.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I just got some GE C9 incandescent lights at Lowe's and they look like the good old school lights

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

docbeard posted:

My old town requires Christmas lights and they just banned dancing.

...did you just escape from the movie Footloose, or...?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Christmas is just a way of making you feel like poo poo for not being able to afford to give everyone the gifts they need to stay your friend

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Vandar posted:

...did you just escape from the movie Footloose, or...?

That is the very serious and literal non-jokey truth I am now trying to relate from inside this wicker statue before I die of smoke inhalation.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

docbeard posted:

That is the very serious and literal non-jokey truth I am now trying to relate from inside this wicker statue before I die of smoke inhalation.

I'm worried for you! Sometimes wicker has some gross chemical treatments and I bet they're awful to breathe in.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

credburn posted:

Christmas is just a way of making you feel like poo poo for not being able to afford to give everyone the gifts they need to stay your friend

If you have woods nearby you could just go find some really, really good sticks. I feel like most people always appreciate a really good stick, and it's not like you can ever have enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol if you have more than one or two friends