Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
delta sqad won the war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Also, if they somehow got into 1DQ, they'd lose 500 titans straight up just killing the Backup Star and had proved in the time after M2 they didn't have the capacity or organisation to replace those sorts of numbers quickly or efficiently. M2 round 1 won the war, everything else was just playing for time before an exit - which turned out to be extremely humiliating and funny - could be made
The whole thing was a failure to accept losses for the strategic goals.

Taking 1DQ would be pretty awful in general, as much as people are complaining about the Querns Hardpoint that's only half the problem, the other is entosis timers are affected by tidi and you bet there'd be tidi if there was a fight over the 1DQ ihub. I think the math was that if you had to do it with a fax at max ADM in 10% tidi it would literally take all day.

Then they have to win the ihub contest in a constellation with multiple bottleneck systems.

All of that is doable with major numeric superiority but it still requires a big stockpile of ships and a willingness to relentlessly feed them to keep jammers down and repair timers paused.

Instead what we got was a single big Ferox feed on the T5ZI gate followed by everything being immediately set to unanchor and not even bothering to defend the unanchors in the withdrawal.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
A single entosis cycle in 10% TiDi would take 10 hours iirc and good luck trying that

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

ded posted:

so many that ccp broke capital production to stop them from being made

So, how did they gently caress up industry yet again this time? :allears:

edit: asking for a friend

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

froody guy posted:

So, how did they gently caress up industry yet again this time? :allears:

edit: asking for a friend
They added a bunch of new components required for capitals, all with obnoxious level 5 science skill training requirements and inputs from just about every activity and part of space (lowsec gas, highsec gas, wormhole gas, PI, exploration loot...), and added wormhole gas stuff to the build requirements of most capital parts. The end result is building capitals got significantly more expensive, and the skill requirements more grindy, although they've cut down the material requirements for dreadnoughts since then.

The prices went up to the point that it basically shut down supercapital production because the build costs were higher than it was to buy an existing one by a considerable margin, unless you're building a faction titan for someone with an infinitely large wallet to spend on their bling boat.

Oh and researching the BPOs has been fun. One of them, Genetic Safeguard Filter, outputs 20 units, and you only need 5 for a regular capital, but the research fees are priced for 20, it takes about 100 days to research it to 10, and the seed price is 3b.

Supercapitals require one called Enhanced Neurolink Protection Cell, which thanks to the recent increase of minimum system cost index to 0.25% and the addition of a mandatory 1.5% SCC surcharge and 1% facility tax, now has a 6.5b ISK install fee to research to ME10 if you bring it to a system with the minimum possible cost index.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

OneEightHundred posted:

Taking 1DQ would be pretty awful in general, as much as people are complaining about the Querns Hardpoint that's only half the problem, the other is entosis timers are affected by tidi and you bet there'd be tidi if there was a fight over the 1DQ ihub. I think the math was that if you had to do it with a fax at max ADM in 10% tidi it would literally take all day.

Then they have to win the ihub contest in a constellation with multiple bottleneck systems.

All of that is doable with major numeric superiority but it still requires a big stockpile of ships and a willingness to relentlessly feed them to keep jammers down and repair timers paused.

Instead what we got was a single big Ferox feed on the T5ZI gate followed by everything being immediately set to unanchor and not even bothering to defend the unanchors in the withdrawal.

Am I remembering right that a few of the top players involved used the Ferox fight as distraction for getting their poo poo out of town before informing the rest of the alliance the war was over?

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
IIRC it was Vily or PGL who did that yea

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

OneEightHundred posted:

They added a bunch of new components required for capitals, all with obnoxious level 5 science skill training requirements and inputs from just about every activity and part of space (lowsec gas, highsec gas, wormhole gas, PI, exploration loot...), and added wormhole gas stuff to the build requirements of most capital parts. The end result is building capitals got significantly more expensive, and the skill requirements more grindy, although they've cut down the material requirements for dreadnoughts since then.

The prices went up to the point that it basically shut down supercapital production because the build costs were higher than it was to buy an existing one by a considerable margin, unless you're building a faction titan for someone with an infinitely large wallet to spend on their bling boat.

Oh and researching the BPOs has been fun. One of them, Genetic Safeguard Filter, outputs 20 units, and you only need 5 for a regular capital, but the research fees are priced for 20, it takes about 100 days to research it to 10, and the seed price is 3b.

Supercapitals require one called Enhanced Neurolink Protection Cell, which thanks to the recent increase of minimum system cost index to 0.25% and the addition of a mandatory 1.5% SCC surcharge and 1% facility tax, now has a 6.5b ISK install fee to research to ME10 if you bring it to a system with the minimum possible cost index.

Ok it looks pretty bad, especially the skill requirements since it's basically a 20d training for each. It looks like the worst part is still the logistics, like literally hauling all that crap from HS/LS to Delve. As for the BPO I don't know, it was never feasible to research the capital hulls at ME10, at least I never went above 8 (and ME10 only for the components or 'parts') but I never made supers nor carriers/dreads/titans, only T2 stuff and advanced hulls of all kind (including JFs and the likes). I would assume going for ME10 on those is even more unfeasible than for anything else but I'd have to check.

Btw, is there anything newer or better than IPH or some of those (mostly unreadable) web-based apps?

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

froody guy posted:

Is there any actual use case for all the faction forts in 1DQ, other than being a deterrent to not gently caress about the Imperial Pallis that is? Like, one is staging for carriers, another one for dreads, one is for logi...

They do have a use yes. The main way to siege keepstars in staging systems like 1dq is/was to anchor a structure (probably a fort) 1000 or whatever km off of the keepstar where supers will sit and use their fighters to kill the keep. If they come under attack they can just abandon fighters and tether up. So they fill the grid with structures to stop them doing that.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Sunday Morning posted:

Am I remembering right that a few of the top players involved used the Ferox fight as distraction for getting their poo poo out of town before informing the rest of the alliance the war was over?

they started unanchoring keepstars during the fight. while telling linemembers to reship.

the days leading up it this the papi leadership was seen evacing absolute tons of poo poo out of the area, while telling line members to make sure they have extra ships for the fight buy all you can!

psilocybin laden
Jul 29, 2022

OneEightHundred posted:

people still complain about the querns hardpoint which is v funny to me because they never ever even came close to the querns hardpoint

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

floppyspud posted:

They do have a use yes. The main way to siege keepstars in staging systems like 1dq is/was to anchor a structure (probably a fort) 1000 or whatever km off of the keepstar where supers will sit and use their fighters to kill the keep. If they come under attack they can just abandon fighters and tether up. So they fill the grid with structures to stop them doing that.
Did they increase fighter range or something since then? Because I think carrier range is limited by lock range now or something which is 4500km at minimum. (IIRC this was why the main keep changed to the the new one... the old one was positioned right up against the planet so half of the grid space in one direction would be unavailable.)

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 30, 2023

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I googled a random article about the papi war because I wasn't paying attention to Eve that year and I was shocked to see Gobbins was named as the leader of PH.

Please tell me Gobbins is loving Admiral Goberius, and not a different Gobbins. Please.

Elchimpster
Mar 22, 2012

Coasterphreak posted:

I googled a random article about the papi war because I wasn't paying attention to Eve that year and I was shocked to see Gobbins was named as the leader of PH.

Please tell me Gobbins is loving Admiral Goberius, and not a different Gobbins. Please.

The very same

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

psilocybin laden posted:

people still complain about the querns hardpoint which is v funny to me because they never ever even came close to the querns hardpoint

They went for it once iirc. I saw the pings, jumped into an inty and warped to the theta star. It went as well as you can imagine it did and they never bothered with it again

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
most they did was half rear end tries. the last place they really tried to toast was 3-d and delta squad saved the day with sax since ~mainfleet~ couldn't break the tank on the command ships doing it

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
THE BIG PUSH a.k.a. we formed up and listened to test comms live as they realized in real time the leadership was bailing on them

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Querns Hardpoint

I was trying to make a list of special grandfathered structures recently and my attention came to J211000 and the fact that cores have a 100% drop rate. I’m not sure the of the benefits of having a Sotiyo or Keepstar in a C4 of below but it’s definitely something that flew under my radar as I wouldn’t expect a new keep to be built in a C2 from a safe logged core. With Querns and all the rest I’m not sure how much utility will actually come of it.

Side note I also realized you can still deploy mobile siphon units and there is some shenanigans to be had even with POS mining gone.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Dieting Hippo posted:

THE BIG PUSH a.k.a. we formed up and listened to test comms live as they realized in real time the leadership was bailing on them

the papi allies bailing during the fight when they saw the keepstars unanchoring that they were not informed of was just perfect

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Let's not forget that rather than go direct for 1DQ within a week of breaking the NIP, PAPI decided to: take fountain, take querious, get a keep in NPC delve at the third or fourth time of asking, lose fountain, lose querious, re-take fountain, re-take querious, force BARVE at gunpoint to establish themselves permanently in querious, take period basis, painfully kill each keepstar in goon space in a "slow methodical manner" and then sit in T5ZI poking at 1DQ for weeks on end

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Elchimpster posted:

The very same

jfc holy poo poo hahahahahaha

why anyone would put that clown in charge is beyond me because not only has he been playing eve for two loving decades without figuring out how to win, he hasn't even figured out how to be good at it

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
https://zkillboard.com/alliance/99011137/

I made an alliance logo for a highsec mining group, and it is live now. I am actually a happy puppy now.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

froody guy posted:

What distro are you using? I'm with Nobara and EVE (on Steam) works like a champ. But no anti cheat thing in EVE so :shrug:

I'm using Debian. I use Lutris to launch EVE, and I use Steam for everything else. EVE has always worked fine for me on Linux with Wine, but I couldn't get Vanguard to work 100%. It's ok though, it was just a play test. I think it will work after release.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

They went for it once iirc. I saw the pings, jumped into an inty and warped to the theta star. It went as well as you can imagine it did and they never bothered with it again

Yeah that first attempt happened in late 2020 iirc. PAPI did a surprise flashform complete with "we're going to take 1DQ right now!!!" pings and went straight for the jammer with pretty significant numbers, including several full fleets in 1DQ and more stuff ready to jump in.

While we expected they might make a move on 1DQ around then, we had no idea the exact time it would come and struggled to react under 10% tidi. By the time we engaged them with subcaps at the jammer it was well into armour, and was looking like it would definitely go down before most of our supers would be in position to get enough fighters out. Without the jammer their (at the time) much superior cap numbers would be able to jump in on anything we scrambled to defend the ihub with. But unexpectedly, right as Init's fleet landed on grid PAPI straight up bailed despite still having an almost 2:1 numbers advantage in system.

If PAPI had held on a bit longer they could have absolutely gotten a 1DQ foothold on that day, but they couldn't stomach risking even a few hundred battleships. By the time they tried again the following summer their numerical advantage had all but evaporated and all we got was excuses about server performance.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8k6MSwMvDQ

SCOPE video on Jay's shenanigans. This video makes me want walking in stations to come back... except in a way where we can leave our rooms.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

The only thing the server saved in M2 round two was a lot more titans dying to the heavy fighter ball of death. I have no idea how many titan DD's you need to volley a super off the field, but they were also facing up losing 30 titans per volley to that death ball (DD cooldown is 10 minutes, right?). Also, if they somehow got into 1DQ, they'd lose 500 titans straight up just killing the Backup Star and had proved in the time after M2 they didn't have the capacity or organisation to replace those sorts of numbers quickly or efficiently. M2 round 1 won the war, everything else was just playing for time before an exit - which turned out to be extremely humiliating and funny - could be made

I think that post was referring to the time the imperium got a ball of supercarriers surrounded by like twenty bosoning titans and then everybody learned that bosons don't work correctly under heavy server load.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Dirac Fourier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8k6MSwMvDQ

SCOPE video on Jay's shenanigans. This video makes me want walking in stations to come back... except in a way where we can leave our rooms.

Space fistfightsunderground mortal combat arena

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

raminasi posted:

I think that post was referring to the time the imperium got a ball of supercarriers surrounded by like twenty bosoning titans and then everybody learned that bosons don't work correctly under heavy server load.

both can be true. Bosons don't work under heavy load, and the server going fucknuts saved perhaps their entire non-logged off titan fleet

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Saw this in the wild and thought this thread could do with less angsty Braveposting and more with the saxxy deity of W6V.

ClCADA
Nov 16, 2023

Nyan Bread posted:

Saw this in the wild and thought this thread could do with less angsty Braveposting and more with the saxxy deity of W6V.

n i c e

ClCADA
Nov 16, 2023

windex posted:

Space fistfightsunderground mortal combat arena

I miss Jay, glad he’s getting the attention that he wanted.
Out of all the people that could push buttons, Jay was actually super helpful.
Still shocked he did it but meh, that’s Eve.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Friends, Goons, Posters, lend me your ears;

I come to bury Helldump, not to praise it

The evil that men do lives after them;

The good is oft interred with their bones;

So let it be with Helldump. The noble Merkelchen

Hath told you Helldump was ambitious:

If it were so, it was a grievous fault,

And grievously hath Helldump answer'd it.

Here, under leave of Merkelchen and the rest—

For Merkelchen is an honorable man;

So are they all, all honorable men—

Come I to speak in Helldump's funeral.

He was my friend faithful and just to me:

But Merkelchen says he was ambitious;

And Merkelchen is an honorable man.

He hath brought many captives home to Rome

Whose ransoms did the general coffers fill:

Did this in Helldump seem ambitious?

When that the poor have cried, Helldump hath wept:

Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:

Yet Merkelchen says he was ambitious;

And Merkelchen is an honorable man.

You all did see that on the Lupercal

I thrice presented him a kingly crown,

Which he did thrice refuse: was this ambition?

Yet Merkelchen says he was ambitious;

And, sure, he is an honorable man.

I speak not to disprove what Merkelchen spoke,

But here I am to speak what I do know.

You all did love him once, not without cause:

What cause withholds you then, to mourn for him?

O judgment! thou art fled to brutish beasts,

And men have lost their reason. Bear with me;

My heart is in the coffin there with Helldump,

And I must pause till it come back to me.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

salartarium posted:

I was trying to make a list of special grandfathered structures recently and my attention came to J211000 and the fact that cores have a 100% drop rate. I’m not sure the of the benefits of having a Sotiyo or Keepstar in a C4 of below but it’s definitely something that flew under my radar as I wouldn’t expect a new keep to be built in a C2 from a safe logged core. With Querns and all the rest I’m not sure how much utility will actually come of it.

Side note I also realized you can still deploy mobile siphon units and there is some shenanigans to be had even with POS mining gone.

There is no point in having any XL strucure in any wormhole, other than better manufacturing from the sotiyo (not worth it) and better defensibility (also not worth it when faction forts exist.)

Generally groups just do it to brag, if you can afford XL structures you’re probably already at the point you can’t be evicted. Lazerhawks at one point had 3 keeps in their 5-5.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
nice meltdown

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

The old guard went fuckgoons and didn't even send a GSF-wide Evemail, tsk.

ClCADA
Nov 16, 2023

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

the cat he sit on a pan cake

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So the last few days of playing in the imperium has been quite of bit of fun casual racism with a mix of "i can't reply to any questions without being a massive dickbag at all times". Its been real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Sickening posted:

So the last few days of playing in the imperium has been quite of bit of fun casual racism with a mix of "i can't reply to any questions without being a massive dickbag at all times". Its been real.

the more time goes on the less i like the imperium. this is not a good trend.