Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Been seeing a relatively new style of advertisement (to me anyway) on my Instagram feed lately.

It’s always a 2 picture/video post. The first video/picture is something I like like a kitten or a house plant or something. You watch it and then scroll to the next video in the series expecting to see more of your new best cat friend video but surprise! It’s an advertisement for a vacuum cleaner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Texas actually has one of the strongest anti SLAPP laws in the country... but lawyers following the suit are saying Musk is filing in a way specifically to dodge it (by starting in federal court iirc?[.

I was echoing the article, which was apparently written by someone who also isn't following lawyers on social media:

quote:

As legal blogger Ken White noted, a Texas filing protects X from claims that it filed a strategic lawsuit against public participation (or SLAPP), something it might face in its home base of California.

"legal blogger Ken White noted" links to a Bluesky post that at the time I wasn't able to read; it looks like the Verge writer mischaracterized what he said. Sorry!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Been seeing a relatively new style of advertisement (to me anyway) on my Instagram feed lately.

It’s always a 2 picture/video post. The first video/picture is something I like like a kitten or a house plant or something. You watch it and then scroll to the next video in the series expecting to see more of your new best cat friend video but surprise! It’s an advertisement for a vacuum cleaner.

This is monstrous. They're coming for the last pure thing on the internet.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Every time I think he can't get more pathetically online, he finds a new way.

Evergreen posting.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1729511790638145918?t=FAuhc6lOzWZyU2GuzSjHyg&s=19

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Eh, kinda but that also doesnt really matter. The people who are only going to care that Musk sued Media Matters and not care that the lawsuit got dismissed are probably not being unbiased and honest actors.

What happens from here now that a new judge is on this case?

This was the recusal letter the prior judge made.

I imagine this case is still going to be tossed?

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 28, 2023

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:haw:

https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1729990160694317100?s=20

EDIT:

It baffles me that the richest man in the world spends his time doing this instead of... anything else. His need for the approval of the worst people is beyond my understanding.

https://twitter.com/jd_durkin/status/1729991850079990080?s=20

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 30, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Sounds normal to me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He's been having an absolutely unhinged two weeks or so

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
And he was recorded by Guinness World Records as losing more money than anyone in history, almost a year ago.
Keeping that pace up as only he can.
https://www.npr.org/2023/01/12/1148634966/elon-musk-guinness-world-records

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Eh that 'money' isn't really real. It's stock value and he can't just sell some stock and not take a hit.

The problem with a lot of these net worth valuations is that for the most part you aren't going to know how much cash someone actually has. Elon in particular has most of his net worth tied up in stocks he can't sell.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
If it makes him mad, that's real enough for me

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I wonder if it's really about the money or more about how he finally has a company where he is the main idea guy and decisionmaker and the resuts have been undeniably disappointing.

I think it says a lot about the inertia of social media that Twitter is still a popular destination for people, but he has taken a lot of the shine off of it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

I wonder if it's really about the money or more about how he finally has a company where he is the main idea guy and decisionmaker and the resuts have been undeniably disappointing.

I think it says a lot about the inertia of social media that Twitter is still a popular destination for people, but he has taken a lot of the shine off of it.
Twitter has clearly poisoned his brain. Well, that and mainlining Ketamine.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A speedball of figurative and literal brain poison

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

He doesn't look healthy at all in this close-up.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
He looks worse than the guy who's been getting blood transfusions from his son.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Morrow posted:

Who is different from the other Silicon Valley VC who got blood transfusions from other younger people.

Gotta keep your vampires distinct.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Peter Thiel is probably who youre thinking about, but there's another techbro nobody that had a photo op with his blood/organ bank / wealth transfer device.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Morrow posted:

More proof in the effectiveness of familial vampirism.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
It has been roughly 100 years and news reporters still say "X, formerly known as Twitter".
Either the rebranding is going poorly or reporters just feel dumb calling something X, like it was some married lover person in a Victorian diary

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm glad, because I can only assume Musk feels enraged whenever anyone calls it Twitter.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Deadnaming Twitter is always a feelgood move.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

You know, I've read the transcripts from this Dealbook interview and they haven't caught how weird his voice is. He's like croaking out words and repeating phrases in this weird cadence. He looks like he's about to transform in to a Deep One on-stage.
https://x.com/esjesjesj/status/1730015972180857289?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I love that the crowd is just dead silent and he's waiting for laughs

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

He definitely lives in a bubble of his own creation where he doesn't realize no one likes him anymore.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
He's sounds shook.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

FlamingLiberal posted:

I love that the crowd is just dead silent and he's waiting for laughs

I think he's waiting for cheers because he thinks he's on Twitter with his posting pals who would be cheering him on in the comments

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Young Freud posted:

You know, I've read the transcripts from this Dealbook interview and they haven't caught how weird his voice is. He's like croaking out words and repeating phrases in this weird cadence. He looks like he's about to transform in to a Deep One on-stage.
https://x.com/esjesjesj/status/1730015972180857289?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNK75Qj1M0E

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Young Freud posted:

I do think this is a pattern of behavior that's gotten much worse over time. Dude's the ultimate antidrug PSA.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Linda using word salad when trying to say something about Elons interview.
While not actually saying anything at all.

https://twitter.com/lindayaX/status/1730088124615631060

"Today @elonmusk gave a wide ranging and candid interview at @dealbook 2023. He also offered an apology, an explanation and an explicit point of view about our position. X is enabling an information independence that's uncomfortable for some people. We're a platform that allows people to make their own decisions. And here’s my perspective when it comes to advertising: X is standing at a unique and amazing intersection of Free Speech and Main Street — and the X community is powerful and is here to welcome you. To our partners who believe in our meaningful work -- Thank You."

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

drat being able to walk a tightrope that good she should join the circus

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Threads will launch in Europe in December

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
That is a masterfully crafted piece of executive bullshit. I'm impressed.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Wow. That took them a really long time.

Is Threads gained any traction in the US? It seemed like a pretty premature launch.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

No it's already dead.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

They still don't have any activity pub integration either.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://bsky.app/profile/nytimes.com/post/3kfgqj52oha2l

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015
I see they embed threads in my ig feed. I do not have a threads account. Seems p desperate

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

FlamingLiberal posted:

Twitter has clearly poisoned his brain. Well, that and mainlining Ketamine.

and that's not even a joke, like i said before he does actually look like he eats through half a veterinarian's office worth of drugs every month

still waiting for the first video of him with ket legs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Musk rapidly progressing to the stage of billionairitis where his eternal youth treatments just make him look like a rubber mask stretched over a skull.