Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I cook 2 eggs for breakfast every morning. I use a non-stick skillet and a lid from my stockpot that I put on top as soon as the eggs are in and seasoned. This cooks the top of the eggs.

This leads to a janky setup where I permanently have the skillet and lid on my stovetop. I basically never wash them - unless I'm going to use the stockpot and I need the lid for it.

I used to flip the eggs over easy/medium to achieve the same effect. For whatever reason I stopped. Too many broken yolks, might stick to the pan, have to wait for the right time to flip, sops up too much butter - not sure. I prefer the lid method now.

My question: Is there a better (equipment) way to be doing this? I'm imagining something like a small non-stick skillet with a hinged opaque lid, despite all the problems that would cause.

E: Just saw omelet pans are a thing and I guess that's it. Seems kind of obnoxious and "i-dont-know-how-to-cook" but I guess I'm broadcasting that already with my setup. Any thoughts on them? Other useful applications would be nice as well.

FaradayCage fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

Favorite glass tupperware? Water tightness not required - I use ball jars for such items. Main criteria:

Stack well
Lids don't self destruct in 1-2 years
Not super heavy - some we had knocked around in the drawer and chipped each other

Kinda asking for a unicorn I know

E: I guess metal is fine too, 80% of my preference for glass is for longevity, only 20% is microwavability. Would be nice but not essential.

I've got the ikea ones, had them for a bit now and really liking them for storing stuff

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
We have a mix of Snapware, which seals great until the lids fail at the "hinge," and these old Ziploc brand containers which have been bulletproof as long as you don't need a tight seal. Wonder if they're discontinued though - ours are probably going on 10 years old.

We have a few Anchor that have been good too, although we only have some round ones.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

FaradayCage posted:

My question: Is there a better (equipment) way to be doing this?

Yes, and you don’t even need to buy anything! Just wash and put away the pan and lid every time you use them. This will improve your eggs, cooking skills, and life immeasurably, and it will cost nothing except a drop of soap and a minute or two of your time each day.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

BrianBoitano posted:

Favorite glass tupperware? Water tightness not required - I use ball jars for such items. Main criteria:

ikea 365 for me, cheap and solid.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

ikea 365 for me, cheap and solid.
why do they have to turn everything into a subscription nowadays?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I mean you're only gonna break them anyway, may as well just set up a yearly order!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
For me the big thing with glass is microwave safe PLUS you can still see what's inside of it without opening it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I never could find glass tuperware that I really liked. We just went with the Brilliance line and don't microwave stuff in them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have a few glass containers with locking lids that I use when it's specifically leftovers that I'm going to want to microwave for lunch, and when I have more other stuff I start to use plastic containers and just remove it to microwave. I feel like it's impractical to have a lot of glass tupperware since it's heavy and annoying to have a lot in your cupboard (it's annoying to try to stack glass containers)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FaradayCage posted:

I cook 2 eggs for breakfast every morning. I use a non-stick skillet and a lid from my stockpot that I put on top as soon as the eggs are in and seasoned. This cooks the top of the eggs.

This leads to a janky setup where I permanently have the skillet and lid on my stovetop. I basically never wash them - unless I'm going to use the stockpot and I need the lid for it.

I used to flip the eggs over easy/medium to achieve the same effect. For whatever reason I stopped. Too many broken yolks, might stick to the pan, have to wait for the right time to flip, sops up too much butter - not sure. I prefer the lid method now.

My question: Is there a better (equipment) way to be doing this? I'm imagining something like a small non-stick skillet with a hinged opaque lid, despite all the problems that would cause.

E: Just saw omelet pans are a thing and I guess that's it. Seems kind of obnoxious and "i-dont-know-how-to-cook" but I guess I'm broadcasting that already with my setup. Any thoughts on them? Other useful applications would be nice as well.

I use a tiny 2 cup teflon coated saucepan and glass lid. The steam from the eggs while frying them gives a great sunny side up 2 egg circle. I just spray the pan down hot and toss it into the drying rack. Every now and then i have to use a lil soap and washcloth.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

One benefit of glass tupperware is you can just toss it in an air fryer or oven if your food benefits from it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Vegetable posted:

One benefit of glass tupperware is you can just toss it in an air fryer or oven if your food benefits from it.
Is it usually pyrex or whatever?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Thanks for the previous responses.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a french style rolling pin? My wife was making pie crust and mentioned wanting one

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I bought the JK Adams one a decade ago and it was good but now there are $10 knockoffs on Amazon that look like they have a larger parallel rolling area

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I have the crate and barrel one and made some excellent pie crust this week, but it really just is a tapered hunk of wood so brand probably doesn't matter too much

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

Vim Fuego posted:

Thanks for the previous responses.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a french style rolling pin? My wife was making pie crust and mentioned wanting one

I bought a 20" purpleheart French rolling pin off Etsy recently. The purple red color is nice.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1004242392/french-rolling-pin-wooden-rolling-pin

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
That is cool, thanks!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

oh rly posted:

I bought a 20" purpleheart French rolling pin off Etsy recently. The purple red color is nice.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1004242392/french-rolling-pin-wooden-rolling-pin

lol @ the video

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Slanderer posted:

lol @ the video

Holy poo poo lmao

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

That Works posted:

I use a tiny 2 cup teflon coated saucepan and glass lid. The steam from the eggs while frying them gives a great sunny side up 2 egg circle. I just spray the pan down hot and toss it into the drying rack. Every now and then i have to use a lil soap and washcloth.

This seems to be the best one I was able to find: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WH4461K/?coliid=I3HU8YQ9YRFWQS&colid=1TPCU0L6U9PUH&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_lstpd_A0KXSKV2A9JS5RYZPKP9

Saw two others but there were intermittent reports of issues.

Slanderer posted:

lol @ the video

I feel like I've seen a gif of that video multiple times before. It's like...meme-level.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FaradayCage posted:

This seems to be the best one I was able to find: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WH4461K/?coliid=I3HU8YQ9YRFWQS&colid=1TPCU0L6U9PUH&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_lstpd_A0KXSKV2A9JS5RYZPKP9

Saw two others but there were intermittent reports of issues.

I feel like I've seen a gif of that video multiple times before. It's like...meme-level.

I use these, buy a new one every few years.

Farberware Cookstart DiamondMax Nonstick Straining Saucepan, Dishwasher Safe, 1 Quart, Silver https://a.co/d/5jEsIa7

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Can anyone recommend double layer baking sheets that don't warp? Or is warping universal after long enough?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Look for ones that say “reinforced” or mention having a steel bar rolled into the lip in the description

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Nordic Ware baking sheets have been reliable so far for me

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks to whomever it was that suggested the Meater bluetooth thermometer - I'm using it right now and it's pretty neat. I have some thoughts in case anyone else is considering the purchase. I got the Meater 2 Plus and I'm using the android app.

So it comes in a cool bamboo case that also is a BT repeater of sorts for the probe. The probe is stored inside that case and actually the single AA or AAA that's in the back of it keeps the thermometer charged. Mine came fully charged and just needed a firmware update when I paired the app to it.

I'm doing an Inside Round. The app has the predictable sorta "pick what you're cooking and we'll suggest some target temps". The insane amount of options makes me think that it's basically just copy pasting a lot of it for cuts that target the same temps so that someone who doesn't know better will be able to find the thing that matches the words on the outside of the packaging of the protein they bought. I was pleasantly surprised that it selected 125F as a stop point for my inside round - this is what you'd normally aim for anyways. I stuck the probe in and put the roast in the oven. I did a 450->300 reverse sear, with a convection oven.

Quick word about the BT range - the themometer case/home/charging thing has magnets and it's stuck on my fridge, probably 5ft from the thermometer in the oven. I can take my phone basically to anywhere in my 2br condo and it hasn't lost signal.

I wonder if the ambient temp is thrown off by the fact it's a convection oven? I've never found this (relatively new) oven to have issues with temp. I tested my oven with a proper oven thermometer that was reading perfectly to the set temp at various points in the oven so I guess I'll just ignore the ambient temp readings for now that I'm getting from this.

After a fair bit of time (I think it waits for the ambient temp to stabilize before it can provide a 'time to done' figure) it gave me the remaining minutes until it thinks I'll hit 125. The probe has 5 spots on it's shaft where it's reading temps - it's cool that it automatically selects the least hot so that you can kinda not stress about whether your positioning of the probe was perfect. This will be even more important if you were using it with a smaller cut or if you wanted to shove this in a steak on the bbq (I can't imagine that's necessary).

It does this cool graph, remember this was a reverse sear so the temp falling off is appropriate.

I'll update this post with photos of the finished product (will be rested and I expect a perfect medium rare for the money this cost). So far I actually think it's pretty good and a welcome replacement from my inaccurate leave-in thermometer.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Ambient would be lower than expected because the protein is cooler, also most ovens aren't as hot as people expect it to be since the thermal mass of the oven shell/surface hasn't reached the temp yet (this is one of the reasons why reheating for like 15min+ is great). Generally the oven will launch its ambient temp well above in preheat and then cool down a lot - overcompensating massively in its swings.

I'm very curious about the results though, was looking at putting one of those meaters on my Xmas list.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

The friend who cooked our Friendsgiving turkey used a Meater and I was very impressed. It predicted the carryover effect perfectly and directed us to pull it way earlier than I would have otherwise. Light and dark meat were both excellent.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

unknown posted:

Ambient would be lower than expected because the protein is cooler, also most ovens aren't as hot as people expect it to be since the thermal mass of the oven shell/surface hasn't reached the temp yet (this is one of the reasons why reheating for like 15min+ is great). Generally the oven will launch its ambient temp well above in preheat and then cool down a lot - overcompensating massively in its swings.

I'm very curious about the results though, was looking at putting one of those meaters on my Xmas list.

Well it's reading the ambient from the base of the probe which is isolated from the meat - also the oven was 450 before cooling to 300 so it should have landed around 300 IMO. Even with the protein's mass cooling the space it should have been coming down from a high enough temp that the outside of the roast would have been similar to the air temp, I'd think.

Tricky Ed posted:

The friend who cooked our Friendsgiving turkey used a Meater and I was very impressed. It predicted the carryover effect perfectly and directed us to pull it way earlier than I would have otherwise. Light and dark meat were both excellent.

I'm less impressed! It told me to take the meat out at like 118F, I was like alright well I'm trying this thing out so I guess I will. After 15-20 min of resting it's still super rare, like 126C. I guess you're supposed to set your target temp to the actual finished temp and not the off-heat temp. Whoops! I had to put it back in the oven and I'm sure it'll be pretty dry everywhere but the center but I can't serve rare beef to the gf.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Well it's reading the ambient from the base of the probe which is isolated from the meat - also the oven was 450 before cooling to 300 so it should have landed around 300 IMO. Even with the protein's mass cooling the space it should have been coming down from a high enough temp that the outside of the roast would have been similar to the air temp, I'd think.

Chris Young is selling his similar predictive thermometer in this video, but skip to 3:00 for the explanation of why this isn’t quite how it works

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lGlZqdoSswk&si=xMMHVCgDzN5p6Ow2

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Alright so ended up putting it back in after taking it out and resting for 30 min for an internal temp of 128. Whoops, honestly if I set it to 135F in the app it would have actually turned out perfect and served at 135F. Now I know! It was still a pleasure troubleshooting the temps with the thermometer.

Upside is that it'll probably be reheated to the correct doneness I guess. Still tasted pretty great.

hypnophant posted:

Chris Young is selling his similar predictive thermometer in this video, but skip to 3:00 for the explanation of why this isn’t quite how it works

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lGlZqdoSswk&si=xMMHVCgDzN5p6Ow2

This was really interesting! Thanks for the link and that does make sense - although I wonder how much a convection oven dispels the high humidity air around the protein - you would think doing this is the main reason for going convection or rather the main reason why we see decreased cooking times and such. I love seeing the science behind why we observe what we observe.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I can bake a pie that makes your heart sing. My cornbread is remembered by everyone that's ever tasted it. My cassoulet would bring a frenchman to drunk tears.

But I've long since lost the ability to cook any sized hunk of meat. I've tried turkey, chicken, duck, steaks recently... each one its own tragedy, a tale of squandered potential

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HolHorsejob posted:

I can bake a pie that makes your heart sing. My cornbread is remembered by everyone that's ever tasted it. My cassoulet would bring a frenchman to drunk tears.

But I've long since lost the ability to cook any sized hunk of meat. I've tried turkey, chicken, duck, steaks recently... each one its own tragedy, a tale of squandered potential

Could be a regional/cultural thing too, I've never even tried to bake a pie, make cornbread, or cassoulet because I didn't really grow up eating the latter 2 and I don't really want to discover a love of baking since I would just eat that stuff nonstop. I grew up in Canada with parents who were the kids of Italian/German immigrants and it was very meat and potatoes, and bread. So much bread.

I'd love to take a tour through some areas of the US with very unique culinary styles and just go crazy. I've never really had BBQ like I see it in movies and TV for example.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks to whomever it was that suggested the Meater bluetooth thermometer - I'm using it right now and it's pretty neat.

You're welcome :cool:

VelociBacon posted:

Quick word about the BT range - the themometer case/home/charging thing has magnets and it's stuck on my fridge, probably 5ft from the thermometer in the oven. I can take my phone basically to anywhere in my 2br condo and it hasn't lost signal.

Are you using just BT, or WiFi too? The BT range from the base to the probes (at least on the previous gen) is fairly short, which is a little annoying (have to keep the base in harm's way during a cookout), but base to phone is good for anywhere within WiFi range (assuming you're using WiFi obviously). And really anywhere on the planet once you set up cloud connectivity.

VelociBacon posted:

I wonder if the ambient temp is thrown off by the fact it's a convection oven? I've never found this (relatively new) oven to have issues with temp. I tested my oven with a proper oven thermometer that was reading perfectly to the set temp at various points in the oven so I guess I'll just ignore the ambient temp readings for now that I'm getting from this.

Beaten on this, but yeah, an inch or 2 from the meat will be cooler than the overall oven temp.

VelociBacon posted:

After 15-20 min of resting it's still super rare, like 126C.

That's some impressive carryover cooking ;). Assuming 126F it nailed the carryover pretty well. Yeah, definitely set it for your desired final temp, not the off-heat temp.

I'm kinda annoyed that the Meater 2 came out about 5 seconds after I bought the previous generation. Zero complaints with mine but the new features sound like a nice improvement.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
For Christmas I was thinking of replacing my $20 Aroma rice cooker with one of those beloved Zojirushi fuzzy logic (tm) rice cookers, however the prices on those seem to have skyrocketed lately and I'm wondering if at that price point I should instead be looking at one of Zojirushi's top end induction heating models instead?

Reasons why I want to replace the basic Aroma rice cooker:

1 The glass lid handle is attached to the glass with 2 screws. This is structurally sound but a cleaning headache as the screws sometimes get exposed to food during cooking and are not easy to clean, and during washing soapy water and food particles can get stuck between the handle and the glass requiring disassembly of what is otherwise a very simple and easy device.

2 The keep warm function doesn't really work well for long durations, so I'd love one which works good so I can just cook 1 batch of rice for multiple meals throughout the day.

Any recommendations, goons? It's kinda hard to tell the difference between a number of their models.

Lazy Fair fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Dec 3, 2023

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I pulled the trigger on an upgrade to the fuzzy logic. Best way is to find one used (trawl local thrift stores) or to pick up a refurbed one from Amazon warehouse (this should explode in availability after Xmas). Got my 3 cup model for $90.

My verdict after a few months of use - It is nice but not a necessity. It definitely feels luxurious though

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I found a 10 cup neurofuzzy refurb for $190 on Amazon a couple of years ago. Probably won’t do that well again, but you can find them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Every time my food processor shreds buckets of cheese or beets in seconds or my instant pot makes stock in an hour that’s clear as a still pond I point my eyes up and thank God for kitchen equipment

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
I paid $170 for my neuro fuzzy 20 years ago. It still works great. Can’t recommend the thing enough.
I’m surprised the price hasn’t changed much in two decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

you can also check out cuckoo rice cookers since I've seen them go on sale more often (it's the korean equivalent of zojirushi)