Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mayveena posted:

I was thinking the same thing. I was considering harvesting dark caps to grow because they can stand a higher temperature and they need slime. Thanks.

Something else to consider is ranching. Hatches will convert stone into coal and food, which is a pretty fantastic deal. They're also very heat resistant. Dreckos are less useful for food, but the fiber/plastic they make is great, and you can use wild planted plants to keep them fed without expending resources. Pips allow for the aforementioned wild planting, and let you harvest dirt. Slicksters need high temps, but will eat extra CO2 to make food.

The big downside is that critters do pathfind, which means that they can slow the game down, but they're really nice to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Hatches are cheat-tier food ;) Once you get the hang of ranching, 2 regular and 1 smooth hatch ranch will generate so much food, coal, and refine metal for you.
Ranching dreckos is the way to get plastic, set that up early and you never need a press.

Talking of refining, to get your first batch of steel, just use a large pool of polluted water. 20 tiles or so of polluted water will easily knock out several tonnes of steel before it gets a problem, just don't do it near crops. Then stick a bottle pump in some oil, and put the plastic press in a little pool that you use emptiers to fill with oil (this helps cool the press - they overheat a LOT). Add a pump in the pool to feed the press, and try to crank out a little bit of plastic. That should be enough to build an aquatuner-turbine combo to chill down the pool back to a nice 20C, then run loops of p-water from the pool around the base, and heat is pretty much conquered.
The second trick here is to build a radiative pipe loop inside the turbine steam chamber for a smelter, then you can fill it with oil (or preferably petrol). Add a battery bank to the turbine, and you can recover most of the electricity spent in smelting from dumping the heat into the steam chamber for the turbine to convert to electricity. With max skills and a light, I think it can end up being power-positive to smelt stuff, but even before then you can save a lot of power. Same goes for any heat generating stuff, put them near the cool-pool, run cooling loops that run back through radiative sections in the pool, then effectively you will be drawing all the generated heat in the base back to this one area to be converted to electricity for you.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
But it’s worth noting that it takes a very long time for hatches to become a reliable food producer. Like many dozens of cycles. Dreckos producing reed fiber and plastic seems even longer.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I tamed a natural gas geyser last night and have doubled my power generation. also my earlier problem of algae terrariums and too much pressure has come back in the form of the average pressure in the cavern above my base being too high. so my only real solution is to suck it all up and use it to augment my oxygen system for a while

oh and talking about potential death spirals. I was busy with the geyser and happened to check on my farms and noticed they had gotten too hot because I was cycling the water from the cooling system back in when I was low. we got that sorted out quick but now I get why the notification buildings exist

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You should build and watch an algae diffuser, as an experiment.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

But it’s worth noting that it takes a very long time for hatches to become a reliable food producer. Like many dozens of cycles. Dreckos producing reed fiber and plastic seems even longer.

Yeah, it's not a reactionary food source. It's doable as long as you start early - you can get locavore and carnivore in a single run in a fairly straightforward manner so long as you get those ranches set up relatively fast.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
so in an effort to vent some of these excess gasses out I started tunneling up and I'm near space. I started to hear noises and connected the dots to the meteor shower warnings I had been receiving. I built a powered mechanical door down the tunnel a bit and am nearing the edge. I'm not entirely sure what happens if I break through without an atmo suit on. I am wearing oxygen masks so they should be fine right? besides potentially horrific cancer from being exposed directly to sunlight

I realized that I hadn't been digging down this entire time and went there to check on things and realized I had just barely missed seeing the oil biome this whole time :doh:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

so in an effort to vent some of these excess gasses out I started tunneling up and I'm near space. I started to hear noises and connected the dots to the meteor shower warnings I had been receiving. I built a powered mechanical door down the tunnel a bit and am nearing the edge. I'm not entirely sure what happens if I break through without an atmo suit on. I am wearing oxygen masks so they should be fine right? besides potentially horrific cancer from being exposed directly to sunlight

I realized that I hadn't been digging down this entire time and went there to check on things and realized I had just barely missed seeing the oil biome this whole time :doh:

Funny enough vacuum exposure seems to not be a particularly big deal for dupes, they can walk around in space just fine. Literally the only thing that bothers them about it is the lack of oxygen. You do want to be careful cracking the oil biome though - it's very hot and dupes will take damage from the temperature if they walk around without atmo suits. That heat can also create temperature problems for your base if you don't have a buffer to prevent it from spreading.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
There is no explosive decompression either, gasses leak into space similar to how they spread to other areas of the asteroid. Once a gas is touching a no-background tile it will poof out of existence, but you don't have to do anything more fancy than a metal door before you break into space.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Funny enough vacuum exposure seems to not be a particularly big deal for dupes, they can walk around in space just fine. Literally the only thing that bothers them about it is the lack of oxygen. You do want to be careful cracking the oil biome though - it's very hot and dupes will take damage from the temperature if they walk around without atmo suits. That heat can also create temperature problems for your base if you don't have a buffer to prevent it from spreading.

I learned the atmo suit thing from analyzing a water steam vent and got 3 dupes heavily wounded

Sokani posted:

There is no explosive decompression either, gasses leak into space similar to how they spread to other areas of the asteroid. Once a gas is touching a no-background tile it will poof out of existence, but you don't have to do anything more fancy than a metal door before you break into space.

thank you both for the help. I haven't really played a base builder / simulation game since og dwarf fortress but this is good poo poo. I want to hit this dimensional tear as the base game then do a dlc run. I think this'll become a yearly game like battletech for me

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

You can just dig out a progressively larger attic, to hold unneeded gases until you’re ready to start collecting them. You’re always going to have more CO2 than you’ll ever need for anything, but hydrogen is pretty useful in a couple of ways and polluted oxygen can just be turned into oxygen with minimal electricity and the delivery of some sand to a deodorizer.

Don’t shy away from keeping a CO2 Scrubber always running in your basement, shrinking your exhalation reservoir also clears up space for gases you might eventually want to use.

If you’re using a rust deoxidizer for oxygen that chlorine byproduct can be safely vented to space. It has a chemical-burn debuff effect similar to but worse than Hydrogen but likes to sit in a layer between your breath vault and your O2, where dupes encounter it pretty frequently, instead of calmly rising out of frequent-traffic spaces. There’s a couple uses for it but you’re not going to run out of wild pockets or bleach stone anytime soon.

Set up a submerged storage for bleach stone, also, once you encounter some, to avoid the same chlorine layer that deoxydizers can create. You can also submerge slime, rot pile, and other things which offgass polluted oxygen but usually I just put containers for those next to deoxydizers and turn their fart puffs into pure, sparkling oxygen to include with my atmosphere.

e: build a triage bed for your dupes and just eat heat damage for your first hot geyser analyses and oil-biome stuff. They heal up good as new even if you get them burned enough for convalescence.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

So the parasocials for one of the ONI streamers, Echo Ridge, have this Chaos Crew thing where they pick out a seed and all play it at the same time. The last round on Vanilla Rime just finished up and the next seed is going to be a Spaced Out Metallic Swampy and will drop this Sunday Dec 3rd, in case anybody here has an interest in that sort of a social ONI experience!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
we got to day 365 and have a mostly stable colony. plastic production is up and I have some amount of petroleum. I think I should start burning some of it for power and then transition to solar when I start heading back up top again. aquatuner and steam generator are keeping the base nice and cool but the whole thing looks like a mess and I want to restructure some of it but last time I tried a major project I nearly killed my colony

I did fine some weird stuff in the cave like a hermit and fossils but I'll get to those eventually. I did find a sick anti entropy gravitas device that made the mid-game transition way easier

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Use a separate smart battery for each generation method, so you can set your grid to preferentially draw from your more-plentiful sources.

Check out Arbor Trees (tree trees) if you can, petroleum generators will also burn ethanol and it is explained in exactly one place on their information pane. (you get ethanol from wood)

e: Look into basic rocketry sooner rather than later!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

LonsomeSon posted:

Use a separate smart battery for each generation method, so you can set your grid to preferentially draw from your more-plentiful sources.

Check out Arbor Trees (tree trees) if you can, petroleum generators will also burn ethanol and it is explained in exactly one place on their information pane. (you get ethanol from wood)

e: Look into basic rocketry sooner rather than later!

you saying this makes me realize that I should have put a smart battery by each major power generator with their own thresholds set instead of the giant battery farm of them that I currently have

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

Some unintuitive physics that becomes very relevant in this game: water carries a lot of heat.

Like, 2 liters of boiling water is more embedded heat vs room temperature than a liter of molten steel, even though the steel is about a thousand degrees hotter.

And, conversely, a relatively small amount of cold water can cool down a lot of things. It's just a fantastic radiator fluid all around, unless you need something colder than 0 or hotter than 100.

This is kind of late, but water is so drat effective at heat exchange that it can stop plants growing. (And give the entire colony the sniffles :v:)

I don’t use it for base cooling until late in the game. A hydrogen loop passed through a
nullifier or wheezeworts generally normalizes at a good temperature for crops without needing an aqua tuner. Easy to get a loop running as soon as I’ve made a SPOM and some oxygen masks, then I don’t have to think about base temps until sometime after steel production and plastic production is sorted.

But this is also a playstyle thing - I think it’s a neat challenge to solve problems in the most rudimentary way possible.

you saying this makes me realize that I should have put a smart battery by each major power generator with their own thresholds set instead of the giant battery farm of them that I currently have

Yeah, eventually you’ll end up with a series of different power generator failbacks.

The annoying thing with smart batteries is that their charge capacity doesn’t line up with the other batteries.

There’s ways around this with atomization, although it’s mostly done for the sake of appearance. Batteries bleed a tiny bit of energy along with producing heat, so it’s better to rely on automating multiple back-up power sources and not keep too many batteries charged.

E: can also cool the SPOM’s oxygen but piped hydrogen is nice because it allows fine-tuning the cooling instead of making the base really cold around each oxygen vent. And you’re probably going to end up with more hydrogen than you know what to do with.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 1, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Always wanted water wheel power generation, so you could pump water up higher as a battery.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

No reason to tear it down, just do some long automation wire runs, and use the individual batteries connected as the controls. They should all charge and discharge more or less in unison.

The heat batteries radiate comes from the passive power drain they experience, smart batteries have the least but definitely avoid large Jumbo Battery banks.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Always wanted water wheel power generation, so you could pump water up higher as a battery.

That would be cool as heck.

I always wanted thermodynamics, AKA hot gases rising. Until someone pointed what the consequences of uncorking a CO2 pocket in the lava biome would be.

Or if you're like me, accidentally opening up the coal generator room while re-modelling.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

That would be cool as heck.

I always wanted thermodynamics, AKA hot gases rising. Until someone pointed what the consequences of uncorking a CO2 pocket in the lava biome would be.

Or if you're like me, accidentally opening up the coal generator room while re-modelling.

Yeah I think the devs have said in the past that hot gases rising is something they could absolutely do but would be too complicated to deal with as a player. It's a lot easier to understand how gases will settle into consistent layers based on their density.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

This is kind of late, but water is so drat effective at heat exchange that it can stop plants growing. (And give the entire colony the sniffles :v:)

I don’t use it for base cooling until late in the game. A hydrogen loop passed through a
nullifier or wheezeworts generally normalizes at a good temperature for crops without needing an aqua tuner. Easy to get a loop running as soon as I’ve made a SPOM and some oxygen masks, then I don’t have to think about base temps until sometime after steel production and plastic production is sorted.

But this is also a playstyle thing - I think it’s a neat challenge to solve problems in the most rudimentary way possible.

Yeah, eventually you’ll end up with a series of different power generator failbacks.

The annoying thing with smart batteries is that their charge capacity doesn’t line up with the other batteries.

There’s ways around this with atomization, although it’s mostly done for the sake of appearance. Batteries bleed a tiny bit of energy along with producing heat, so it’s better to rely on automating multiple back-up power sources and not keep too many batteries charged.

E: can also cool the SPOM’s oxygen but piped hydrogen is nice because it allows fine-tuning the cooling instead of making the base really cold around each oxygen vent. And you’re probably going to end up with more hydrogen than you know what to do with.

my biggest issue atm is overcooling the base. I'm noticing using as low tech of a solution as possible is great in this game

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

With a little experience you can also immediately YOLO down to lava with mealworms and oxygen masks to get a oil-cooled refinery and then plastics/steam turbines. Massage table probably a good idea, medical bay entirely optional.

I like taking care of my little dupes though :3:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
temperature throughout the base has been stabilized while running iron refinery non-stop. I did end up restructuring everything throughout this but it taught me a lesson in using priorities to have roles for dupes

I did set up a transit tube system to get down to get back up from the oil biome. my question is when it says dupes don't require an access to exit a tube system does that mean I could have multiple exit points from a single access point?

I've also hit a wall where I think I have to make atmo suits to really break into the hotter parts of the map. oh and that I could probably use auto-sweepers to gather all the materials at the bottom of the map and get them to auto sort everything. travel times are still kinda bad at the moment

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Iirc, you only need an access point for dupes to enter the transit tubes but the can exit wherever there’s a tube end.

Personally, I’ve never really had much fun with auto-sweepers in the context of moving generic stuff. Mine mostly fill machines and scoop eggs out of ranches.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah you can have a big tube system with several entrance points and dupes will route themselves to the right ones for their tasks.

You’re going to start using A Lot of power on transit, keep an eye on your fuel stockpiles.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I think the devs have said in the past that hot gases rising is something they could absolutely do but would be too complicated to deal with as a player. It's a lot easier to understand how gases will settle into consistent layers based on their density.

I think it'd make our computers explode as well.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I haven't played this game in about a year, but I was wondering: how much of the "story" do they end up explaining? It's something like, Dupes are GM tiny humans and the planets are the remains of a research station or something...?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

my biggest issue atm is overcooling the base. I'm noticing using as low tech of a solution as possible is great in this game

Are you using a temperature sensor on your cooling so you only cool down the fluid/gas you are using when it is required, or are you running the cooling solution flat out?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Tree Bucket posted:

I haven't played this game in about a year, but I was wondering: how much of the "story" do they end up explaining? It's something like, Dupes are GM tiny humans and the planets are the remains of a research station or something...?
There’s quite a bit of info if you read all the stuff on desks and what not.

The asteroids are chunks of Earth that were blown away, and populated with designed (but not completely finished) creatures I think.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Dunno-Lars posted:

Are you using a temperature sensor on your cooling so you only cool down the fluid/gas you are using when it is required, or are you running the cooling solution flat out?

at the time of the post it was going non-stop but I reworked it last night to reverse the flow and cool off the plants first instead of last. I have a liquid temp sensor before the aqua tuner now that has a bypass if the temp is below 20. that way the water will never be colder than 6

using automation sensors to limit power consumption has been huge for keeping the base alive

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i haven't played in a couple of years and got the itch again. this start has a cool slush geyser, a cool steam vent, another for 95c brine, AND an aluminum volcano, all just outside the starting biome. i haven't even dug down to oil yet, i am literally overwhelmed with choices here :psyduck:

(e) oh yeah i was gonna ask a question, are gyms for athletics & skill points still a thing or is there a better way than manual generators duct taped to lightbulbs now?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

If you can be arsed then gyms still work.

With the aquatuner, I find it best to not directly cool the base with the tuner loop. instead, use a shorter lop to cool either a pool of water, or my personal favourite, a block of alternating rock and metal tiles. You use the aquatuner to cool that, then the other loops pass through that as a heat exchanger. Later on, you get better liquids for the aquatuner, and having a short loop you replace to get the benefit is good, plus it's generally more stable/easier to fix/expand.
You can then do perfect temperature control, you have a second heat exchange block with a steel airlock door connecting it to the first, and you run the aquatuner to as cold as you can safely (-5, -6 I usually go with), and then a temp sensor on the outflow of the second block controls the door to ensure the output settles at 20 degrees pretty much exactly.

I'm glad the thread has kicked off again, I've started a new barren spaced out world. I have a hot steam vent, a polluted oxygen, volcanoes and oil. But I have hatches and dreckos, and bugger all space, but my new strategy is a colony of savant hippies, so no uprooting existing plants, minimal digging, try to keep it natural man. But I have a masterwork artist, mechatronic engineer, and a digger, all mouth breathers with lovely other stats, but we'll see how it goes. Definitely oil boiling, just debating whether to be arsed with sour gas this time.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

OzyMandrill posted:

If you can be arsed then gyms still work.

With the aquatuner, I find it best to not directly cool the base with the tuner loop. instead, use a shorter lop to cool either a pool of water, or my personal favourite, a block of alternating rock and metal tiles. You use the aquatuner to cool that, then the other loops pass through that as a heat exchanger. Later on, you get better liquids for the aquatuner, and having a short loop you replace to get the benefit is good, plus it's generally more stable/easier to fix/expand.
You can then do perfect temperature control, you have a second heat exchange block with a steel airlock door connecting it to the first, and you run the aquatuner to as cold as you can safely (-5, -6 I usually go with), and then a temp sensor on the outflow of the second block controls the door to ensure the output settles at 20 degrees pretty much exactly.

I'm glad the thread has kicked off again, I've started a new barren spaced out world. I have a hot steam vent, a polluted oxygen, volcanoes and oil. But I have hatches and dreckos, and bugger all space, but my new strategy is a colony of savant hippies, so no uprooting existing plants, minimal digging, try to keep it natural man. But I have a masterwork artist, mechatronic engineer, and a digger, all mouth breathers with lovely other stats, but we'll see how it goes. Definitely oil boiling, just debating whether to be arsed with sour gas this time.

yeah honestly I'm at the point where I need to pull out the refineries and really hot buildings from the main comfy cozy colony and as a part of that more tightly controlled temps will be needed soon so your suggestion makes a lot of sense. I've been mostly avoiding watching a bunch of tutorials and figuring it out along the way

for example til it's way easier to leave the wild Thimble Reed going and to harvest that for resources. which leads to being smarter with my biome mining

I need to figure out how to make a hot room to convert this crude into petrol. I found an oil reservoir and I think we can automate petrol production which would lead to rockets bby. I do really need to head up top and start sending out rockets. I'm at like day 400 now. probably way behind where I should be but we ain't ded yet fam

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I've seen playing this game for longer than my kid has been alive and I still haven't launched a goddamn rocket

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

yeah honestly I'm at the point where I need to pull out the refineries and really hot buildings from the main comfy cozy colony and as a part of that more tightly controlled temps will be needed soon so your suggestion makes a lot of sense. I've been mostly avoiding watching a bunch of tutorials and figuring it out along the way

for example til it's way easier to leave the wild Thimble Reed going and to harvest that for resources. which leads to being smarter with my biome mining

I need to figure out how to make a hot room to convert this crude into petrol. I found an oil reservoir and I think we can automate petrol production which would lead to rockets bby. I do really need to head up top and start sending out rockets. I'm at like day 400 now. probably way behind where I should be but we ain't ded yet fam
Sounds like you are doing really well without :)
Wild plants are great, I like leaving pips running free in my base and lots of natural tiles and they plant poo poo everywhere.

To make petrol, that will need to really get to grips with the steel door thermal control stuff I mentioned. You will need to heat the oil to just over 400 degrees, then it suddenly flashes to yellow petrol. But - if it goes over 500 degrees, then it turns to hot purple sour gas which will seriously upset your day if you don't want it. The easiest way I've found is using a volcano/lava for the heat source. All work must be done in a vacuum, using either obsidian or steel. If you can manage that, it's easy. Note that lava will turn petrol into gas instantly, and the hot gas will kill dupes even through environment suits. Fun!
Just drip the lava into a steel bucket, and have a steel lined oil chamber connected by a steel door. I use a layer of lead in the crucible, and a temp sensor to control a door so lava drips in if it falls under 600 degrees. Another temp sensor in the oil controls the steel door connecting the chambers so it is open when temps are > 400C, and close when below. Then the hot petrol dribbles out, and I like using a staircase for the petrol to drip past a conductive pipe of incoming oil so the oil heats up on the way in and petrol cools down on the way out.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Microplastics posted:

I've seen playing this game for longer than my kid has been alive and I still haven't launched a goddamn rocket

yeah but rockets sound like the fastest way to blow yourself up :science:. plus I noticed there's two different types of engines. I'm fairly confident that I could get the steam engine going but I have no idea what else I need to actually go on a mission besides food, oxygen, fuel and batteries for electricity. it does also mean I need to figure out how to deal with those meteor swarms

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

OzyMandrill posted:

Sounds like you are doing really well without :)
Wild plants are great, I like leaving pips running free in my base and lots of natural tiles and they plant poo poo everywhere.

To make petrol, that will need to really get to grips with the steel door thermal control stuff I mentioned. You will need to heat the oil to just over 400 degrees, then it suddenly flashes to yellow petrol. But - if it goes over 500 degrees, then it turns to hot purple sour gas which will seriously upset your day if you don't want it. The easiest way I've found is using a volcano/lava for the heat source. All work must be done in a vacuum, using either obsidian or steel. If you can manage that, it's easy. Note that lava will turn petrol into gas instantly, and the hot gas will kill dupes even through environment suits. Fun!
Just drip the lava into a steel bucket, and have a steel lined oil chamber connected by a steel door. I use a layer of lead in the crucible, and a temp sensor to control a door so lava drips in if it falls under 600 degrees. Another temp sensor in the oil controls the steel door connecting the chambers so it is open when temps are > 400C, and close when below. Then the hot petrol dribbles out, and I like using a staircase for the petrol to drip past a conductive pipe of incoming oil so the oil heats up on the way in and petrol cools down on the way out.

I think by hot room they meant "a place to run the refinery building without boiling the base" and not a petroleum boiler.

Also thinking about how heat is normally a new player problem but an experienced player's resource, and then I rolled this map:

Feels like it's going to have to be hatches and coal power to make any heat at all until I can tap the oil wells. And I'll probably have to melt the oil biome.

Seed (easy difficulty - change game settings if you want normal):
pre:
V-SFRZ-C-2119834991-HU4JJ-3A
what if I send lava through the teleporter

Xerol fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 3, 2023

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Just going to say there are many things in this game that I find I need a lot less of than I originally thought I would.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Xerol posted:

I think by hot room they meant "a place to run the refinery building without boiling the base" and not a petroleum boiler.

Also thinking about how heat is normally a new player problem but an experienced player's resource, and then I rolled this map:

Feels like it's going to have to be hatches and coal power to make any heat at all until I can tap the oil wells. And I'll probably have to melt the oil biome.

Seed (easy difficulty - change game settings if you want normal):
pre:
V-SFRZ-C-2119834991-HU4JJ-3A
what if I send lava through the teleporter

I did actually say to convert the crude to petrol. so I really did mean a boiler and derped on the name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Xerol posted:

On Rime there's going to be at least one steam vent you can uncover fairly quickly.

And batteries are kind of little space heaters.