Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

GABA ghoul posted:

If you take this show as a reference point for absolute garbage then what does that make something like Here Comes Honey Boo Boo?
I think a lot of people wanna watch shows in the 90-95th percentile of goodness so "absolute garbage" is relative to that, not just anything you could see on the TV

Season 3 was bad but I like Season 4 so far (except for Margot's plot)

I believe in the real world going to Mars is dumb because it is an empty ugly rock and I like how the show is matching my expectation there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm not sure where the complaints about bad acting are being directed at.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
No it's garbage and has been downhill since S1, I just don't currently have anything better to watch and so keep up in the hopes it either becomes good or bad enough for proper The Room style enjoyment.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

tokin opposition posted:

No it's garbage and has been downhill since S1, I just don't currently have anything better to watch and so keep up in the hopes it either becomes good or bad enough for proper The Room style enjoyment.

Go watch Babylon 5 if you're that hard up for good content.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That’s a good point, I should finish Battlestar Galactica

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

bawfuls posted:

I'm doing a very lazy rewatch, it's one of the only shows i keep on my work laptop

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

bawfuls posted:

tokin opposition posted:

No it's garbage and has been downhill since S1

:hmmyes:

Although honestly, it was all downhill after Tigh me up, Tigh me down :smith:

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Rappaport posted:

:hmmyes:

Although honestly, it was all downhill after Tigh me up, Tigh me down :smith:

Untrue, the webisodes are great

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This has been way better than season 3 so far IMO. For one thing, no horrible Stevens failchildren and also no Karen.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I’ve been liking the season, but yeah they seem to be holding back on CGI and space scenes. Hopefully they’re saving it for something big

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

They'll have more asteroid stuff, surely, since that was the opening disaster / gimmick. :ohdear:

Hakkesshu posted:

This has been way better than season 3 so far IMO. For one thing, no horrible Stevens failchildren and also no Karen.

:yeah:

With the caveats that the Big Love, Passionate Science Ladies plot-line has plenty of potential to crash into something stupid, and I swear to Cthulhu if Margo "Apprentice of Nazi Space Pioneer" winds up somehow nudging the Soviets towards a Sorkin star trek time-line I will be a little bit irate :argh:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Question, why does everyone call him Big Love? I'm googling and all I find is some strange Bill Paxton show about Mormons?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The guy who plays Dev was on the teevee show House M.D., and doctor House called the character "Big Love" because they were a Mormon. It's kind of like how Taub was a guest star on Ahsoka.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Owling Howl posted:

He should implode in a submersible as is proper custom :colbert:
Why not both?

Somehow the project leads to Helios designing a new space capsule with some sci-fi gimmick aero force field tech, and for whatever reason Dev ends up on the first flight. They've pissed off the Americans so they're launching from the Philippines. Maybe make a point about its carbon fiber construction to be really on the nose. Mishap during launch, booster goes boom, capsule survives and the magic aero tech allows it to pierce the water without shattering or pancaking everyone inside, but then quickly fails because it wasn't designed to work underwater. Turns out they splashed down right above Challenger Deep. Insert Futurama atmospheres of pressure joke here, close up shot of a panicked look on Dev's face as we hear cracking noises and the screen goes black.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watching last week’s episode and funny how earlier this year I watched the show Fired on Mars and now I’m watching Ed and the Russian lady getting Fried on Mars :frogc00l:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Oof I did not like this. Felt like a waste of a good premise, the protagonist was just too unlikeable and it didn't have nearly enough humor for everything it was trying to do. I was sick of it by episode 4 but felt pot-committed at that point, and then ended up turning off the season finale halfway through because I just couldn't care enough to pay attention.

Did we not get a new episode this week? I woulda thought they would have skipped last week for Thanksgiving if they were doing a break.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This week’s episode is tomorrow. Last week Apple moved the Friday shows to Wednesday because of Thanksgiving.

Also I really dug Fired on Mars but it’s pretty drat niche

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wafflecopper posted:

i just realised, repair guy is called Miles and his wife keeps talking about how he's miles away :ughh:

A suffering space repairman named Miles, it'll never work.

Ohboyherewegoagain
Sep 22, 2023
I'm both disappointed and grateful that Miles isn't married to a woman named Keiko who loves to tend garden.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If they tried the Adama Maneuver in For All Mankind they'd just jump a ship into the planet's core and kill everyone

Ohboyherewegoagain
Sep 22, 2023
Reminder that in S1 Ed does use the "sometimes you gotta roll a hard six" line, and it was wonderful.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Is Moore particularly involved in the show anymore? I thought he was working on his new thing for Disney.

Escobarbarian posted:

Hell yeah, I loved it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

He's not the day-to-day showrunner/writer but in interviews he talks like he's heavily involved in breaking season arc and character arcs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They still refuse to say what happened to Danny, but got close. I'm guessing he found the pistol that was buried and shot himself or something while he was exiled. Why else beat around the bush when referencing him?

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Cojawfee posted:

They still refuse to say what happened to Danny, but got close. I'm guessing he found the pistol that was buried and shot himself or something while he was exiled. Why else beat around the bush when referencing him?

Because they spaced him lol

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
danny became the first trans us president (republican)

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Ed is such an rear end in a top hat. His entire legacy is being an rear end in a top hat.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021
So, Miles sent a Mars rock to his daughter... but sending more would expose the black market business to too much scrutiny? I have to presume that people at Happy Valley can send physical mail back to Earth without too much difficulty, the ships are going back much more empty than they arrived. If nothing else "Hey, stick this in your baggage for me, returning worker" would do the trick.

The Helios lower decks people being upset at Svetlana's seeming lack of punishment seemed to be a stretch. Were they actually rooting for her to go to the gulag? They seemed disconnected from anything that was actually going on, which can be the point, but the story was an international incident and they do get CNN up there. Then they were angry she was being removed from Happy Valley and sent to Earth to stand trial for... assault? Attempted murder?

EDIT: I also thought we might see the faux Lee Iacocca have a heart attack on his exercise bike to put someone we know in as head of NASA.

Wheeljack fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 1, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sending the rocks home is definitely going to invite scrutiny on what's going on. Also, I understand the need for money, but really hosed to just yoink your daughter's space rock and sell it. So if there are suddenly mars rocks on the market, someone is going look into it, if only to make sure people aren't getting scammed.

I think the lower decks people just didn't understand the whole situation of what was happening. From their perspective nothing was happening to Svetlana, when a fellow lower decker was in a chamber, possibly about to die. And the non-Russian helios people might not have known that Svetlana being called home meant she was going to a gulag or worse. And like we discussed before, these are people who got tricked into a mars company town, so they aren't the cream of the crop, reasoning skills wise. I think it's perfectly reasonable for them to see one of their own got attacked, nearly killed, the perpetrator's country recalling her, and the management refusing to send her back and letting her off with seemingly no punishment.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Cojawfee posted:

Sending the rocks home is definitely going to invite scrutiny on what's going on. Also, I understand the need for money, but really hosed to just yoink your daughter's space rock and sell it. So if there are suddenly mars rocks on the market, someone is going look into it, if only to make sure people aren't getting scammed.

I think the lower decks people just didn't understand the whole situation of what was happening. From their perspective nothing was happening to Svetlana, when a fellow lower decker was in a chamber, possibly about to die. And the non-Russian helios people might not have known that Svetlana being called home meant she was going to a gulag or worse. And like we discussed before, these are people who got tricked into a mars company town, so they aren't the cream of the crop, reasoning skills wise. I think it's perfectly reasonable for them to see one of their own got attacked, nearly killed, the perpetrator's country recalling her, and the management refusing to send her back and letting her off with seemingly no punishment.

Good point, since they think Dev is going to be their savior. Hmm, maybe he'll have an epiphany from the surfer girl encounter and go up to Happy Valley to improve everything and upset the apple cart and make things worse instead. Maybe accidentally shutting down the black market pipeline.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Also, I understand the need for money, but really hosed to just yoink your daughter's space rock and sell it.

The one thing that's consistent about the Dale family is desperation. It also sounded like the sale happened incidentally, she didn't try to sell it.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Their family trait is taking absolutely every opportunity that comes their way

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm glad mr. Short-sight didn't suffocate, but why you gotta do dirty by Svetlana, writers, she was a nice gal :smith:

Also, how is India the only "neutral" country in the M7? According to this very episode, one M are ESA, which even in earlier seasons included nations like Sweden. Especially if the Cold War is "over" as per president Owlbearpig, wouldn't the US have tried to push harder for a Euro nation to take this? Or has eurocommunism taken over Europe in this timeline, making them too antagonistic for the USSR to even consider neutral? :ohdear:

Also :lmao: at Margo learning about management by Berija NKVD :allears:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Rappaport posted:

Also, how is India the only "neutral" country in the M7? According to this very episode, one M are ESA, which even in earlier seasons included nations like Sweden. Especially if the Cold War is "over" as per president Owlbearpig, wouldn't the US have tried to push harder for a Euro nation to take this? Or has eurocommunism taken over Europe in this timeline, making them too antagonistic for the USSR to even consider neutral? :ohdear:

Iirc it was mentioned earlier in the episode that all of the ESA countries + Japan had already backed the US's position, while all the CCCS countries and North Korea were openly backing the Soviet Union. The Indian space agency was specifically called out as the only M7 member that hadn't commented on the matter at all.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah, I'm not surprised to hear people liked it. It definitely felt like something made with vision and passion, it just didn't do it for me. Just too much awkward surreal corporate weirdness when I was hoping for more outright jokes. I think it would have gone down better for me if the protagonist wasn't such a ridiculous loser too lol, they had a lot of good bits with him but I think they needed more of a straightman character to carry the show.

Episode was good!

Margot in Russia is starting to get more interesting, and while I thought it was gonna be a stretch to get her involved again after being disappeared to the USSR and sitting idle for so long, it makes sense that the new government would want to use her as an impartial observer while they're still shaking all the Gorbechav loyalists out of the system.

How do we get President Gore without Clinton first? God, I hope America didn't go through a whole morals realignment thing with him and Lieberman.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm pretty sure this is what happened. Not sure why they'd have that weird breakdown in the conversation unless the missing words were "that's why Danny ended up killing himself". Also not sure why they'd make such a big deal of burying the pistol with a little marker last season if that wasn't the plan.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

My bad, must've missed that :smith: I wonder what European policy in their time-line looks like, it was a bit funny that Finland was in ESA in the early 80's

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I'd buy the lower deckers being unhappy about some Soviet idiot eating poo poo if we'd actually seen them hang together before.

Aside from that I liked this episode.

Laughing Zealot fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 1, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah this; the whole point of the scene with Sam and Danielle was that Sam saw Svetlana being let off with no punishment (because she's a cosmonaut/hero) and Vasily is just a grunt; and Danielle is saying "no, it's complicated" but can't go into any further details because it's some pretty privileged diplomatic information at that point. I mean I guess it becomes public pretty quickly what the sticking point is (actually I can't remember whether that office scene takes place before or after the news report) but I think the bottom line is that Danielle wasn't at liberty to explain what Svetlana being sent home really meant.

Anyway I thought it was pretty funny they had to cast for a small babushka to put on a nurse's outfit and run the cafeteria cash register in a little glass box

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021
When Margo got the photo and everyone was off to one side, I thought she’d be told “this picture used to have six people in it, now it’s down to three” as a warning.

Of course, I also thought we’d see “wrong conversions” guy get a sack over his head or even strangled right in the meeting. The show needs international drama as well as personal to work, so they may crack up the Neo-Stalinism dial high.

Hmm, if a new Cold War makes Gore a one term President, who’s in next? Less of a boy wonder Clinton? Hillary, having also served as governor of Arkansas (the Clintons had planned on alternating the governorship…). Faux Lee Iacocca?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"If you switch reference frames you might have better luck inverting the matrices" is the single best piece of throwaway science babble I've ever heard on television. Gj show.