Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
gta 5 has a loving triathlon race side activity. for swimming, biking, and running, the way to go fastest is to slam a presses as much as you can, like you're trying to win at a mario party minigame. i just did the third and last one, which bills itself as THE ULTIMATE TEST OF ENDURANCE. it's not kidding, it's THIRTY MINUTES LONG. thirty minutes of slamming a presses as fast as you can, while making course corrections, and any small mistake can lose you the entire race. I got it the first time, but gently caress my hands are hurting now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Why else would you play a game about stealing cars if not to do track & field competitions?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
A lot of games get accused of wasting the player's time, but in the case of GTAV it's 100% deliberate. I'm not sure if I've ever played a game that is so outwardly cynical towards the player (as well as a bunch of other things).

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Arivia posted:

gta 5 has a loving triathlon race side activity. for swimming, biking, and running, the way to go fastest is to slam a presses as much as you can, like you're trying to win at a mario party minigame. i just did the third and last one, which bills itself as THE ULTIMATE TEST OF ENDURANCE. it's not kidding, it's THIRTY MINUTES LONG. thirty minutes of slamming a presses as fast as you can, while making course corrections, and any small mistake can lose you the entire race. I got it the first time, but gently caress my hands are hurting now.

On a controller mashing to sprint is annoying as hell, but at least kind of feasible. On a keyboard, good loving luck. I don't remember if it's shift or caps lock you're expected to mash for full sprint, but not happening.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hedgehog Pie posted:

A lot of games get accused of wasting the player's time, but in the case of GTAV it's 100% deliberate. I'm not sure if I've ever played a game that is so outwardly cynical towards the player (as well as a bunch of other things).

I have to disagree. It has a lot of poo poo to do, but the individual components are mostly all alright. It's just overwhelming as a whole.

The stuff that I think most people would think of as being the most bullshit - the Epsilon Cult stuff - is intentionally bullshit, because it's a cult and they're trying to get you to do stupid poo poo. But with a little preparation, you can make hay out of the ten days spent wearing the Epsilon robes, using that time to collect stuff like letter scraps and spaceship parts. Or you can just skip it by sleeping the ten days away. The five miles in the desert is also a pretty good opportunity to clear out like 11 of the monkey mosaics.

Honestly the part that I found the most individually frustrating so far was collecting nuclear waste. The submarine is dog-slow, it's a pain to control, and the whole thing is a mess with the radar you use.

As a disclaimer, I'm playing on PC, so they might have taken off some rough edges in that PS5/Xbox Series port that didn't get backported to the PC. Turning off submarine part pings when you're not in the dinghy would be great, for example.

e: another minor gripe is that looting security vans is a death trap until the midgame but by the midgame the cash in the vans is pretty much nothing. get 7.5k, 2.5k of that goes right to buying more body armor.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lobok posted:

Why else would you play a game about stealing cars if not to do track & field competitions?

Don't forget to do yoga stretching before playing a few rounds of tennis.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I've never played gta5 but it sounds like a retirement simulator?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

That describes two out of the three playable characters yes.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Gta 5 sucks,vice city was the peak of Gta and everything since has been huffing its own farts.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I liked San Andreas, that felt like the capstone of the series. After that it was all downhill.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Randalor posted:

I liked San Andreas, that felt like the capstone of the series. After that it was all downhill.

Even there you could see the dread infection of 'cinematic experience' taking root. I've killed 45 cops before PICKING THE WRONG HOUSE FOOL and yet I can't just cap Samuel L Jackson in the head when he shows up again? It's just gotten far worse since.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kitfox88 posted:

Even there you could see the dread infection of 'cinematic experience' taking root. I've killed 45 cops before PICKING THE WRONG HOUSE FOOL and yet I can't just cap Samuel L Jackson in the head when he shows up again? It's just gotten far worse since.

The story got ridiculous and it was bloated with some of the worst missions ever put to disc (the unpatched RC plane mission! :argh:) but the actual systems in it were probably the peak balance of rockstar’s simulationism vs what’s actually fun in an open world game.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm just not 13 enough to enjoy GTA anymore. Plus I'm majorly burnt out on open world stuff

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I feel like the difference between San Andreas and GTAV regarding all the little things they added is that for SA it was mostly just silly throwaway stuff that individual devs were working on in their spare time - stuff like the pool and basketball minigames, the arcade games, the dating system, etc. They didn't need to be there and were extremely undercooked, but their philosophy with that game was to just throw as much poo poo at the wall and see what stuck (which obviously led to the hot coffee fiasco). For GTAV, they added a bunch of stuff which they knew wasn't fun and put in more than a few wink-wink-nudge-nudge jokes about how you're a total loser for even doing it in the first place. There are almost never any rewards aside from making your 100% completion meter go up. After a while it got super obnoxious.

The GTA games have incredible detail that makes them a joy to play and explore, but I think GTAV might be my "bogey game". I can't believe I spent as much time on it as I did - twice!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

San Andreas let me fly around the world on a jetpack and that was just...cathartic dude

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Meowywitch posted:

GTAV came out when Breaking Bad was huge so everyone is an aging man with a receding hairline who hates life. The voice actors really sell it but it looks weird in hindsight.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

San Andreas is still a Fun Videogame World rather than Miserable People Being Sad.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Byzantine posted:

San Andreas is still a Fun Videogame World rather than Miserable People Being Sad.

Isn't miserable people being sad 4's MO?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Everyone hates GTAIV but I had pretty good memories of it. My only complaint was that it had auto-targeting and I thought that was laaaaame

But then GTAV also had auto targeting and I didn't care

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
But does GTA 5 have beeg american titties? 40 flavours of titty!

Say what you will about GTA 4, Roman could be annoying but he gave it kind of a dorky kind of identity. TBH Roman's the only character in the series that's defined entirely not by pursuit of money or fame but by his love of the things he has. Certainly he aspires, but he still loves what he DOES have, and there is no one in the series as happy to see a main character as he is to see Niko. He's a human golden retriever. Stupid, reckless, but his heart is in the right place even when his penis is not.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:08 on Dec 1, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

GTA IV had issues with the plot, but at least you could sympathize with Niko wanting to get away from his criminal past and falling into old habits because he's starting from near-rock bottom with his supporting cousin helping him out at the start.

GTA V has one of the main characters bitching about how much his life sucks while lounging by his pool in the GTA equivilant of Beverly Hills and only gets into crime again because he's bored.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also Roman was a stupid character but a well written idiot. "America is like an ice cream parlour: 40 different flavours of titty" is an amazing line.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

But does GTA 5 have beeg american titties? 40 flavours of titty!

Say what you will about GTA 4, Roman could be annoying but he gave it kind of a dorky kind of identity. TBH Roman's the only character in the series that's defined entirely not by pursuit of money or fame but by his love of the things he has. Certainly he aspires, but he still loves what he DOES have, and there is no one in the series as happy to see a main character as he is to see Niko. He's a human golden retriever. Stupid, reckless, but his heart is in the right place even when his penis is not.

I cant bring myself to do the ending path that leads to Roman's death even if its definitely supposed to be the "canon" one

gently caress dat

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

Idk, I must be missing something because a lot of people have complaints that DS3 is just Dark Souls 1 Again: Greatest Hits, when, idk, it feels like the opposite? There’s a lot of DS1 references but it’s all in service to selling that the world of Dark Souls is deader than dead and really should be put out of its misery. The only thing that felt indulgent was Siegvald and maybe Soul of Cinder phase 2, but that’s just me, maybe someone can explain how the game is actually going “ah poo poo look at how cool this thing from DS1 was” abd I’m just stupid.

It's just projection

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DS2's story is a direct sequel to DS1, it's countless linking loops later, and DS1 is largely forgotten and Lordran is just another fairy tale, with most of what IS kept either misremembered or a forgery. DS3 is a direct sequel to DS1's story and treats DS2 as another cycle in the loop, and Drangleic is long forgotten except a few things here and there and the idea that some people went beyond death and walked out of the cycle like you attempt to do in DS3 (or not). The start of the loop is recalled as it all crashes together.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Perfect Potato posted:

It's just projection

2 also has a cameo fight with Ornstein. When 2 came out people ragged on it a lot for every single reference to the first game it had.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

DS2's story is a direct sequel to DS1, it's countless linking loops later, and DS1 is largely forgotten and Lordran is just another fairy tale, with most of what IS kept either misremembered or a forgery. DS3 is a direct sequel to DS1's story and treats DS2 as another cycle in the loop, and Drangleic is long forgotten except a few things here and there and the idea that some people went beyond death and walked out of the cycle like you attempt to do in DS3 (or not). The start of the loop is recalled as it all crashes together.

Pretty sure Drangleic is too far away from Lordran/Lothrick to be the same place

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Meowywitch posted:

I cant bring myself to do the ending path that leads to Roman's death even if its definitely supposed to be the "canon" one

gently caress dat

When I think about GTA 4 all I remember is *ring ring* Niko, let's go bowling!!!

I hated that motherfucker

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

DontMockMyCousin

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Randalor posted:

GTA IV had issues with the plot, but at least you could sympathize with Niko wanting to get away from his criminal past and falling into old habits because he's starting from near-rock bottom with his supporting cousin helping him out at the start.

GTA V has one of the main characters bitching about how much his life sucks while lounging by his pool in the GTA equivilant of Beverly Hills and only gets into crime again because he's bored.

I thought Michael ended up back in crime because he's an idiot full of rage that pulls down a house that turns out to belong to a mobster? He definitely IS bored but it's his inability to control himself that forces him back into crime.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

I thought Michael ended up back in crime because he's an idiot full of rage that pulls down a house that turns out to belong to a mobster? He definitely IS bored but it's his inability to control himself that forces him back into crime.

That's correct, yep.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Meowywitch posted:

Pretty sure Drangleic is too far away from Lordran/Lothrick to be the same place

How'd the Lordvessel and all the other DS1 junk get to Drangleic then?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

John Murdoch posted:

How'd the Lordvessel and all the other DS1 junk get to Drangleic then?

birds

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

give me.. warm... give me... soft...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've been playing Chained Echoes which is a new indie jrpg that fixes a lot of decades old gripes with the genre. For example you start every fight fully healed so there's no reason to hold back on skills and such for "trash" enemies.

My one big gripe is the weapon/armor enhancement system. Each piece of equipment can be enhanced twice, which increases its base stats and its number of sockets from 2 to 4. Gems for the sockets are gathered from the overworld and then crafted in this annoyingly finnicky/grindy/rng enhancement minigame. The problem is, the game throws enough equipment upgrades at you that it just doesn't feel worth the time to engage with this system for a piece of gear you'll toss after 45 minutes. The gems in particular are way more annoying than they should be to unsocket from your previous gear and then socket into the new piece. The game isn't hard enough that you need to engage with any of this, but I wish it was like 50% less fiddly so I felt motivated enough to bother.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Fil5000 posted:

its been so long since i played it that i kind of forgot how well that bit plays out given i hate almost everything about the plot not involving trevor and quite a bit of the plot that involves trevor as well

e: im in the wrong thread for this but i think the single funniest thing about the game was just switching to trevor and he'd just be passed out on a rock in the middle of nowhere or getting into an argument with a bus driver or whatever

Jezza of OZPOS has a new favorite as of 16:02 on Dec 2, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Moon Monster posted:

I've been playing Chained Echoes which is a new indie jrpg that fixes a lot of decades old gripes with the genre. For example you start every fight fully healed so there's no reason to hold back on skills and such for "trash" enemies.

My one big gripe is the weapon/armor enhancement system. Each piece of equipment can be enhanced twice, which increases its base stats and its number of sockets from 2 to 4. Gems for the sockets are gathered from the overworld and then crafted in this annoyingly finnicky/grindy/rng enhancement minigame. The problem is, the game throws enough equipment upgrades at you that it just doesn't feel worth the time to engage with this system for a piece of gear you'll toss after 45 minutes. The gems in particular are way more annoying than they should be to unsocket from your previous gear and then socket into the new piece. The game isn't hard enough that you need to engage with any of this, but I wish it was like 50% less fiddly so I felt motivated enough to bother.
How's the gear itself? Any cool effects or are they mainly just +numbers?

e: "Similar to games you played: Peglin" uh thanks steam but I won't take your word on that

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

its been so long since i played it that i kind of forgot how well that bit plays out given i hate almost everything about the plot not involving trevor and quite a bit of the plot that involves trevor as well

e: im in the wrong thread for this but i think the single funniest thing about the game was just switching to trevor and he'd just be passed out on a rock in the middle of nowhere or getting into an argument with a bus driver or whatever

I once switched to Trevor and he was at the top of a mountain wearing a dress. Then he fell over while I was trying to get him down and I discovered he wasn't wearing any underwear. It was one of the stronger parts of playing as an otherwise... let's say "difficult" character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

gently caress dat

We're in the right thread for this because I love GTAIV except for that ending. Everything about the ending feels half-assed and half-assed might in fact be giving it too much credit. Contrast with Niko finally finding the man he's been hunting and the big emotional decision about revenge or moving on. All of that had way more weight put into it than either ending did.

The endings just look, sound, and feel cheap. Writing, voice-acting, animation, it's so blatant nobody was trying. Somebody Niko cares about is dead. Better end the scene. Now Niko wakes up and goes "the woman I loved or the cousin I've protected all game are dead. Aw, shucks." And that's it. That is loving it.

There's no point in actually finishing the story of GTAIV. They didn't care so I don't care. It's the most unimaginable contrast with RDR2's ending. Both of them, actually, the main story and epilogue endings.

The real ending is deciding what to do with Darko. I loved most everything up to that point.

NikkolasKing has a new favorite as of 17:38 on Dec 2, 2023