Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck

Looks like the nightmare is coming in 21 hours. Or well, a nightmare.

lol

quote:

“There will be enormous challenges in reaching volume production with Cybertruck and making the Cybertruck cash-flow positive,” Mr. Musk said in October. He sounded more optimistic Wednesday, saying during an appearance at The New York Times DealBook Summit, “It will be the biggest product launch of anything by far on earth this year.”

Many aspects of the Cybertruck have been a mystery. Ahead of the event on Thursday, investors and Tesla fans were awaiting news on whether, for example, the Cybertruck would have outlets for power tools or be able to provide backup power to homes, a feature available on the F-150 Lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Biggest product failure am I right?

But seriously if they're mum about basic EV truck features, like being able to draw on the battery, I don't see cybertruck really taking off, especially since they're apparently not making money on them? I'm confused there.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Kwyndig posted:

But seriously if they're mum about basic EV truck features, like being able to draw on the battery, I don't see cybertruck really taking off, especially since they're apparently not making money on them? I'm confused there.

The quote you’re reading above me is old from last week or whatever when he told Disney to gently caress themselves.

All the info is now in the website I posted if you’re bored or curious to find out

quote:

OPERATE YOUR TOOLS OR CHARGE ANY EV WITH INTEGRATED 120V AND 240V BED AND CABIN OUTLETS. DURING A GRID OUTAGE, PROVIDE UP TO 11.5 KW OF POWER DIRECTLY TO YOUR HOME TO HELP KEEP THE LIGHTS ON.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kwyndig posted:

https://bsky.app/profile/ickas.xyz/post/3kfgpvtqqe222

I was going to make a post making fun of the prices and specs but Tesla did the work for me.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
https://twitter.com/morganherlocker/status/1730455721815527429

https://twitter.com/Tims_Pants/status/1730515134731182490

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
We tried to warn them that Brexit would have consequences. Now, British insulin pumps are trying to ignore metric dosages and switch back to imperial units.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
But is there a crown etched on the insulin bottle? That's the important thing that Brexit brought back.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Evil Fluffy posted:

https://bsky.app/profile/ickas.xyz/post/3kfgpvtqqe222

I was going to make a post making fun of the prices and specs but Tesla did the work for me.

Unless you post a screenshot, nobody else can read that link (if they don't have a bluesky account)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

burnishedfume posted:

Unless you post a screenshot, nobody else can read that link (if they don't have a bluesky account)

The text is just "Cybertruck *US* prices 👀"

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

That's surprising that got through whatever testing they do. Usually it's MedTronic loving up.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you receive "5" insulin instead of "0.5" insulin then you just get extremely healthier, right?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Volmarias posted:

The text is just "Cybertruck *US* prices 👀"

uh, $80k for a 4-500km range electric work ute is probably cheaper than what companies are doing to make electric 76 series land cruisers in Australia.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

withak posted:

If you receive "5" insulin instead of "0.5" insulin then you just get extremely healthier, right?

It will make you very sleepy, sweaty, and gain weight. It's not a fatal dose or anything, but if you do it for a while, then it can cause your blood sugar level to tank and send you into a diabetic coma that kills you. How serious it is will also depend on the specific person and how serious their diabetes is.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It will make you very sleepy, sweaty, and gain weight. It's not a fatal dose or anything, but if you do it for a while, then it can cause your blood sugar level to tank and send you into a diabetic coma that kills you. How serious it is will also depend on the specific person and how serious their diabetes is.

Then maybe we shouldn't let idiot programmers make these kinds of mistakes.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

dreffen posted:

That's surprising that got through whatever testing they do. Usually it's MedTronic loving up.
According to some HN commenters, the FDA does mandate specific documentation and processes with critical medical software, but there's no actual verification that the design and implementation themselves are sound.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=38486063

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

cat botherer posted:

According to some HN commenters, the FDA does mandate specific documentation and processes with critical medical software, but there's no actual verification that the design and implementation themselves are sound.

Industry self regulation? Why I never

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

If you're the kind of person doing a .5u bolus, a 5 unit bolus will certainly put you in for a surprise. For some that's a 1/3rd of a shot for lunch :v:

cat botherer posted:

loving wild. As a T1D and occasional pump user I had no idea. You just figure they (hopefully) do enough testing to avoid this kind of poo poo.

And then one day you read one day about how someone's pump emptied the entire insulin reservoir due to an error and put them into a coma.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

We tried to warn them that Brexit would have consequences. Now, British insulin pumps are trying to ignore metric dosages and switch back to imperial units.

It's about soverei- *collapses in hypoglycemic coma*

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Is there a valid reason for taking less than 1 IU of insulin?
1 IU is really low dose.

Mind you, my familiarity with insulin is with pen versions only, not machine versions.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

withak posted:

Then maybe we shouldn't let idiot programmers make these kinds of mistakes.
I have some bad news for you about the entire history of software engineering as a field.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

burnishedfume posted:

Beaten by Volmarias for the image but I'm too used to Discord showing the post like SA does for Twitter.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

pumpinglemma posted:

I have some bad news for you about the entire history of software engineering as a field.

very droll but note that both the engineers were mealy mouthed about the fact that all the engineering in the world is not foolproof. Designs of physical stuff fails from time to time, designs of software stuff fails from time to time. It is the way.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Issaries posted:

Is there a valid reason for taking less than 1 IU of insulin?
1 IU is really low dose.

Mind you, my familiarity with insulin is with pen versions only, not machine versions.

Once you are on a pump it becomes much more common to be that specific with your dosage. You might just be trying to make a very tiny correction not based on bolusing for what you're about to eat.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at input fields still being a problem in 2023.

also let me complain about a creditcard transaction i just did and I was mildly annoyed i need to type 03 for march instead of just 3. or how theres no universal best practice for cards info.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Electric Wrigglies posted:

very droll but note that both the engineers were mealy mouthed about the fact that all the engineering in the world is not foolproof. Designs of physical stuff fails from time to time, designs of software stuff fails from time to time. It is the way.

Yes, but things like airplanes and elevators are supposed to be thoroughly tested for both obvious and regulatory reasons. Things slip through but given the sheer number of redundancies added they're supposed to be as reasonably safe as possible without being silly about it. Accidents WILL happen, and attempting to make things entirely accident proof paradoxically may make emergencies even easier to cause and harder to recover from at a certain point.

"I usually don't test my code, but when I do I test it in production" is a bitter joke about the computing industry for a reason.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This is the sort of thing that in my job would be caught by QA and result in an email from me to the developer with the subject line "Are you loving serious?"

Absolutely nothing I work on is life critical or even really terribly important.

Good to know that the medical industry is held to a lower standard than my offshore development team.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Even with the best will in the world it's much harder to add redundancies to software to account for bugs than it is to add redundancies to physical systems in case of component failure, even before considering e.g. security issues. And the average gadget-manufacturing company does not have the best will in the world, or indeed any will beyond Number Go Up This Quarter. And instituting policies that make your team spend ten times as long writing the same software isn't a very good way of making Number Go Up This Quarter, no matter how likely it is to save lives.

Oh, and of course, if you tried to build a suspension bridge using "engineers" you'd hired off the street without formal qualifications you'd probably go to prison. But there's no such thing as a chartered programmer, no legal requirement for programmers to hold any particular qualification no matter what they're working on, and certainly no legal responsibility for any issues. Chat-GPT can't code worth a drat on its own yet, but I'll bet there are still thousands of people copying-and-pasting directly from it into tomorrow's code for raising and lowering that suspension bridge.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 1, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
On top of us generally being bad at software, I kinda wonder how well FDA is equipped to deal with requirements for it... after all, it's not pharmacology or medicine.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Volmarias posted:

Industry self regulation? Why I never

Whenever the FDA actually regulates something for real, democrats lose their minds about how they're slowing down innovation.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lyesh posted:

Whenever the FDA actually regulates something for real, democrats lose their minds about how they're slowing down innovation.

For example?

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Most industries never used "Move fast and break stuff" as their motto though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

dreffen posted:

If you're the kind of person doing a .5u bolus, a 5 unit bolus will certainly put you in for a surprise. For some that's a 1/3rd of a shot for lunch :v:

loving wild. As a T1D and occasional pump user I had no idea. You just figure they (hopefully) do enough testing to avoid this kind of poo poo.

And then one day you read one day about how someone's pump emptied the entire insulin reservoir due to an error and put them into a coma.

Yeah I'm not doing sub 1 doses very often (I'm on a Tandem linked with a Dexcom CGM), but that's a pretty loving significant difference! That kind of fuckup in general would be a shortcut to me standing in my kitchen drinking orange juice out of the container most likely.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Lyesh posted:

Most industries never used "Move fast and break stuff" as their motto though.

Don't be silly. Farming is 1k's of years older and taking shortcuts (the banal definition of "move fast and break stuff" kills famers every single week.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Don't be silly. Farming is 1k's of years older and taking shortcuts (the banal definition of "move fast and break stuff" kills famers every single week.
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of regulations around exactly what you're allowed to do to the food you're growing and selling to thousands of people. Try "moving fast and breaking stuff" when you're developing a new pesticide and see what happens.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

It's typically discouraged though. Are you seriously going to claim that Software Engineering as a field is rigorous and careful compared to, say, Civil Engineering?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Not really the thing that defines farming, is it? Farmers are responsible for us having such things as calendars and astrology, because they understood early on that there were fairly regular times when you should start sowing and so on. It's very methodological, the same events occur every year except when you get grasshoppers or raiders. Which actually were the first to use that motto!

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

That's a bit of exaggeration on my part, but it's evident in AOC's discussion of how FDA needs to approve new sunblock chemicals and stuff in cosmetics. Or how democratic voters I know IRL complained about the FDA blocking Neffy from market on the basis that they hadn't shown its effectiveness against anaphylaxis.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Nenonen posted:

Farmers are responsible for us having such things as calendars and astrology,

I knew I didn’t like those superstitious bastards for a reason

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I knew I didn’t like those superstitious bastards for a reason

Right on, just like we should distrust Arabs for giving us alchemy... it even sounds like alqaida, coincidence???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

cat botherer posted:

Sort of. The FDA does not independently test your device, they look at the documentation you provide with your submission. There is an assumption that you are not just completely fabricating things.
Every device is required to have a requirement specification written up, and some verification method and evidence for it. Generally, this will be multiple level of documents where you have some high level system requirements that get traced down to lower level documents (e.g. "The system must do X" in a system doc being traced to "The software must do Y" and "The hardware must do Z" in HW/SW requirement docs, then those tracing to specific verification tests in test protocols).

When you submit, the FDA will review all that documentation and decide if its adequate. This is not a rubberstamp, it is unusual for there to be no rounds of questions/conversation during submission and review.

There are also different classifications of devices based on risk, and the level of detail in requirements/test traceability and scrutiny will vary with that (a ventilator [class III] will get more review than an insulin pump [class II], and an insulin pump will get more review than a hospital bed [class I]).

(Review for changes to an already approved device is also generally less than initial review)

e:
US also generally does a more rigorous review than Europe. It is historically easier to get something on the market in Europe. That is changing in the last few years, EU has introduced more FDA-like requirements.

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 1, 2023