Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

njsykora posted:

Good, people who can't wait to show off all the fake genres Spotify makes up are extremely irritating and I hate that everything thinks they need to have one of these yearly data dumps now.

lol
also they're real genres

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've had my music playback history synced with Last.fm for almost 20 years now, so the Spotify Wrapped stuff is cute, but then people just look at me weird when I try to explain to them how much advanced statistics I have on my music tastes going back to high school.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Corb3t posted:

I've had my music playback history synced with Last.fm for almost 20 years now, so the Spotify Wrapped stuff is cute, but then people just look at me weird when I try to explain to them how much advanced statistics I have on my music tastes going back to high school.

Can you really be said to appreciate music if you aren't collecting high quality usage data and harvesting actionable insights from it? I would argue no.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Corb3t posted:

I liked Last.fm but as far as I know it won’t sync with Apple Music. Bummer.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I liked Last.fm but as far as I know it won’t sync with Apple Music. Bummer.

Eavescrob can access your Apple Music playback history and scrorbble it, and some third party Apple Music player apps like Marvis Pro and/or Soor do it too.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Corb3t posted:

Eavescrob can access your Apple Music playback history and scrorbble it, and some third party Apple Music player apps like Marvis Pro and/or Soor do it too.

Gesundheit

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

njsykora posted:

Good, people who can't wait to show off all the fake genres Spotify makes up are extremely irritating and I hate that everything thinks they need to have one of these yearly data dumps now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Grumbles posted:

lol
also they're real genres
Mine said one of my top genres was "Vapor Twitch" and I don't know what the gently caress that is nor do I think it's a real genre.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rageaholic posted:

Mine said one of my top genres was "Vapor Twitch" and I don't know what the gently caress that is nor do I think it's a real genre.

It has been for two years apparently in my limited googling. Sorry (actual thread) OP we're the old people who aren't "With It" anymore

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It's the children who are wrong.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:negative:

Also, iOS 17.1.2 is out. "This update provides important security fixes and is recommended for all users."

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rageaholic posted:

:negative:

Also, iOS 17.1.2 is out. "This update provides important security fixes and is recommended for all users."

They patch some active exploits so definitely install that poo poo asap.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple should ration out their feature updates so they can bundle them with a security update to encourage uptake. Just have a queue of quality of life updates waiting for the perfect moment to get some positive press.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

They should handle those type of fixes like how they do on MacOS. By default MacOS installs security response and system file updates automatically without the user even noticing. It's turned on by default.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Apple: “we’ve implemented rapid security response to prevent having to update the entire OS”
Also Apple: used RSR once, an entire year after it was first added, pulled it because it broke things, and hasn’t used it since

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
All genres are fake

Except jazz.

My phone won't stop pausing audio randomly (screen on or off) as well as giving double notifications in everything. As in, I'll see the notification for an email, go archive it, then it all happens again. Same with calls and texts, even after I reply, etc. Never seen anything like this with iPhone.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

When there's 2 things in the island, how do I kick my audio app off so I can see the other (live sports scores)? Tapping on the audio icon just opens the app.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

When there's 2 things in the island, how do I kick my audio app off so I can see the other (live sports scores)? Tapping on the audio icon just opens the app.

Usually it’ll have two different icons when there’s two live activities going on in the island, one on each side.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

you can cycle through them by swiping left/right on the island including getting them back if you dismiss them all. it's not super clear out of the box.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Raymond T. Racing posted:

Reasons why Goldman hates Apple Card:
- every statement closes the same day; this is apparently hell on their consumer finance support
- heavily encourages not carrying a balance, so no making money on interest
- the aforementioned cashback and splitting fees with Apple

This sounds like good reasons to have one, tbh.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Quackles posted:

This sounds like good reasons to have one, tbh.

Statements closing on the same day is fantastic for keeping on top of your balance, so naturally it must be eliminated.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Tiny Timbs posted:

Statements closing on the same day is fantastic for keeping on top of your balance, so naturally it must be eliminated.

That's not what he's saying. It's common for credit cards to close the same day every month, decided by the issuer when you open the card. Apple card apparently closes for everyone on the last day of the month, hence a crush of people around then.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Magic Underwear posted:

That's not what he's saying. It's common for credit cards to close the same day every month, decided by the issuer when you open the card. Apple card apparently closes for everyone on the last day of the month, hence a crush of people around then.

Oh well that seems like their fault then

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

It's fun to imagine GS veeps anxiously waiting around for the first of the month so they can pay their yacht mortgages and drug dealers.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Dogen posted:

It's the children who are wrong.

I saw a documentary which defined the 6 genres as Pop, Rock, Classical, Funk, Country, and Techno.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

you can cycle through them by swiping left/right on the island including getting them back if you dismiss them all. it's not super clear out of the box.

Holy poo poo.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

Hmm, only swiping right to left closes something, and the other way doesn’t do anything. Am I swiping wrong?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Try Force Pressing on the Dynamic Island

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Rageaholic posted:

https://everynoise.com/engenremap-vaportwitch.html

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh, yeah I listened to some of those artists, but I still have no idea how it ended up as one of my top genres or why it's called vapor twitch.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

They should handle those type of fixes like how they do on MacOS. By default MacOS installs security response and system file updates automatically without the user even noticing. It's turned on by default.

That's... not true? They are regular 'download and install this' updates, usually in lockstep with the iOS ones. I've been just prompted to install and update MacOS 14.1.2 today.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MacOS is way more pushy about the updates too. You'll get a popup a couple times a day asking for a password to install the update.

(unless that's a feature set by my org's device management, guess I'm not sure on that)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

I have literally never experienced any version of MacOS, going back to 10.5, install any kind update without express user authorization. You've either enabled something or have this setting turned on by a device policy. They get pushy, like xzzy said, but they don't just install themselves without user input by default.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

That's... not true? They are regular 'download and install this' updates, usually in lockstep with the iOS ones. I've been just prompted to install and update MacOS 14.1.2 today.

Branch Nvidian posted:

I have literally never experienced any version of MacOS, going back to 10.5, install any kind update without express user authorization. You've either enabled something or have this setting turned on by a device policy. They get pushy, like xzzy said, but they don't just install themselves without user input by default.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/102657

It does appear to be in iOS and iPadOS. It's a very new feature (April 2023). A poster above mentioned they apparently have issues with it, so it's not really been used. That sucks. I also confirmed it's turned on by default. I just wiped and setup an (not managed in mdm) iPad and MBP, and even if you turn off automatic updates, that specific feature is enabled.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 1, 2023

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It's finally time to upgrade to the latest phone and it looks like Incipio doesn't do their NGP cases anymore which I have really loved over the years. Is there a brand that does an equivalent minimalist and almost rubbery kind of of feel?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well they finally did it.

The killed the love feature in music.

Not that it did anything anyway but they finally took it away. They also made some changes when you add a song to a playlist as well. It finally tells you if the song is already on the playlist

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

MarcusSA posted:

Not that it did anything anyway but they finally took it away. They also made some changes when you add a song to a playlist as well. It finally tells you if the song is already on the playlist

Spotify just did this too. Instead of having a heart icon to put songs into your Liked playlist you have to do like 2 or 3 more presses to like them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Blurb3947 posted:

Spotify just did this too. Instead of having a heart icon to put songs into your Liked playlist you have to do like 2 or 3 more presses to like them.

Engagement!

Seriously is a like / dislike feature so complicated that it makes it impossible for them to set up and algorithm? It seems kinda simple

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

But they didn't? I can still heart stuff. Well it's a star now and they call 'favorite,' but it's the same thing. They love renaming the likes/dislikes every so often.

quote:

They also made some changes when you add a song to a playlist as well. It finally tells you if the song is already on the playlist
That's been like that for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Love is now "Favorite." I'm guessing it works the exact same way, but it also compiles all of your favorites into a playlist. It also has a star on the lock screen and in CarPlay where you can directly favorite songs.