Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cactus Ghost posted:

if you change lanes to the left while in a-cruise, doesn't it speed back up?

It does, but slowly.

It's a feature that I'd like to use when I want, not 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Adaptive cruise is nice with no or little traffic

Like you pass 1 car every 5 minutes

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Adaptive Cruise sucks because the rest of the drivers aren't using it and just constantly merge into the area between me and the car in front of me because my car is following at its assigned distance.

Which actually means that Adaptive Cruise owns for maintaining safe following distance and keeping your speed level with traffic and the other drivers are terrible.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

my car doesn't have rear end in a top hat mode, this is bullshit

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

humpthewind posted:

Adaptive Cruise sucks because the rest of the drivers aren't using it and just constantly merge into the area between me and the car in front of me because my car is following at its assigned distance.

Which actually means that Adaptive Cruise owns for maintaining safe following distance and keeping your speed level with traffic and the other drivers are terrible.

Yeah, I was gonna add that. I'd love in theory to maintain a car distance for every 10MPH of speed (or whatever the guide is), but in practice, other cars will just cut into that space.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

And when they cut in your “ai” slams on the breaks

It’s mostly poo poo

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'll accept AI doing my driving when it develops a 'perform pit manouver on shithead drivers who cut in on my safe following distance' functionality.

Or if I can get hosed up and say 'take me home' and I wake up half an hour later at home and it's picked up some drive through burritos on the way.

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010

redshirt posted:

It does, but slowly.

In my subaru you can set the level of acceleration used by adaptive cruise. I just set it to eco acceleration, and use the manual gas pedal if I want to pass faster. But you could set it to faster acceleration if you wanted.

Since getting a car with adaptive cruise I've noticed I'm becoming less of an rear end in a top hat driver, and more content to go with the speed of traffic (barring an RV or truck going extra slow), as opposed to constantly wanting to go slightly faster and driving aggressively to maintain that speed. Its actively retraining aggressive driving habits, at least for me. Especially on long road trips off interstates, its absolutely amazing, best modern feature of cars bar none.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Heath posted:

You could buy $200 of, say, Criterion Blu rays every month and probably have a much richer viewing experience, or the first 9 seasons of The Simpsons

Or I could reread the posts about VPNs and usenet...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It is good yeah on long stretches of two lane roads

That is true

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

MojoAZ posted:

Since getting a car with adaptive cruise I've noticed I'm becoming less of an rear end in a top hat driver, and more content to go with the speed of traffic (barring an RV or truck going extra slow), as opposed to constantly wanting to go slightly faster and driving aggressively to maintain that speed. Its actively retraining aggressive driving habits, at least for me. Especially on long road trips off interstates, its absolutely amazing, best modern feature of cars bar none.

There's a certain demographic who sees this as the deep state trying to sheeplize the populace and will resist it at all costs (until its personal inconvenient).

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Outrail posted:

There's a certain demographic who sees this as the deep state trying to sheeplize the populace and will resist it at all costs (until its personal inconvenient).

See also: cars that cut the engine at stop lights.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yea I was happy one of my latest rentals had a handy button to turn off the auto-engine off “feature”

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Need an adaptive cc that let's me set the follow distance to <6" and autoflash my brights like a strobe. The existence of other drivers is a personal insult, to me

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

humpthewind posted:

Correct. And since traffic is cooperative, not competitive, just let them go. Who cares if a dick head squeezes into your space? Just let it go.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Your car seizes up and goes haywire when they do that

You are right tho that normally if people cut in I just readjust. If eliminated like 99.9% of road anger it’s nice

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

its too bad all the airbag and saefty poo poo is tied into the bcu/ecu these days. would be nice to buy a safer car (structural and airbag setup) and just gut the thing and put a k24 and homebrew ecu in it instead. ah well. will probably buy a volvo 7xx turbo wagon or some wacky saab instead

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

euphronius posted:

It does not

I live in Phoenix where everyone drives like it’s mad max and it works great

E: lot of aggressive drivers telling on themselves itt

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
On my mazda3 you can press the gas down a little and instead of accelerating it overrides the range finder. That lets you avoid the issue where the car slams on the brakes because someone merged in.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

euphronius posted:

You are right tho that normally if people cut in I just readjust. If eliminated like 99.9% of road anger it’s nice

I actually started just driving the speed limit as a test last month and don't see any reason to quit. It's great. When you speed all you are doing is catching up to people going slower and everyone is in your way. If you go the limit, most folks just go around you. I do still get some annoyance like a driver last night going what I estimate was 35mph in a 55 at night. I assume they have something seriously wrong with them as it was a 30 year old car with handicap plates. I gave them a wakeup tootle.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you drive a lot , going 10-15 over (so no chance of a ticket ) will save you 10-20 hours a month in the car compared to the speed limit

For example

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

euphronius posted:

If you drive a lot , going 10-15 over (so no chance of a ticket ) will save you 10-20 hours a month in the car compared to the speed limit

For example

This is how those people actually think!

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

anonumos posted:

Or I could reread the posts about VPNs and usenet...

The previous argument to this was that “but then you won’t be supporting the artists”

To which I can say given what we all know about Spotify, Netflix, etc: lol, lmao

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If everyone drove like they were part of a mutually beneficial society travel could be optimized without technological control and everyone could save time and money and the environment.

But, this requires empathy and self awareness and consideration for fellow human beings and just lol at anyone not abusing the public common space for person advancement.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In Wednesday I drove 300 miles

If I went 55 (speed limit ) it would have taken 5:30

If I went 70 (I did ) it took 4:20

Not including stops

Edit

The math is probably woefully wrong

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

euphronius posted:

Not including stops

Edit

By your example then to save even 10 hrs, which is the minimum of the scale you provided, you’d have to drive 3000 miles in a month which is a full quarter of what the average driver does in a year. I’m not convinced.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

euphronius posted:

Not including stops

Edit

the point is you make a lot of assumptions about average speeds. if you're travelling a long distance in low traffic, speeding is definitely the way to go. in typical daily mixed city/highway driving, your actual, average speed is probably very minimally impacted by your top speed

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Average drivers includes shut ins and stuff I don’t find that to be relevant

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

euphronius posted:

Not including stops

Edit

It works fine for a long distance. For a commute, it breaks down entirely when you hit traffic. What good it it to go 75 for three minutes and then average of 10mph for 10 minutes? I my example the difference is just under a minute. That's the majority of my driving. The distance thing, is probably also a bit skewed as I live in the west, is negated by having higher speed limits to begin with. I don't gain much by speeding, 60 miles takes 48 minutes at the speed limit and 45 min at 80, and 42 at 85.

Meanwhile I save hours per month by not leaving the house.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Salt Fish posted:

On my mazda3 you can press the gas down a little and instead of accelerating it overrides the range finder. That lets you avoid the issue where the car slams on the brakes because someone merged in.

Yes mine does the same. You still need to be aware of your surroundings while driving with adaptive cruise enabled. Also the car never slams on the brakes in my experience, its more abrupt than I would brake maybe but nothing jarring.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

My gf and I live in the community we do most of our stuff in including work and it’s actually way cooler than driving 3000-6000 miles a month

If we have to go 300 miles we fly which is actually much more efficient per the metrics presented

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Speeding is for when you're crossing the great plains from one state that has legal weed to another and you want to minimize your time spent in the backwards flatlands where it's still referred to as the devil's lettuce

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
People need to realize that their commute is not a race where passing more people lets you go faster when you finally reach that wide-open stretch of road out in front of everyone else, it is a queue where changing spots over and over again slows down the whole situation for everyone.

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010
Man if you are consistently aiming to go 10-15 mph over the limit, and don't understand why that's bad, just lol

5-8ish is understandable in places where the limits are arbitrarily low

Sticking right around the limit is almost magical in the way all the aggressive unpredictable people stay the hell out of your way

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

humpthewind posted:

Yes mine does the same. You still need to be aware of your surroundings while driving with adaptive cruise enabled. Also the car never slams on the brakes in my experience, its more abrupt than I would brake maybe but nothing jarring.

There are definitely some lovely driver assist systems out there (Subaru, Audi, Honda), which I assume is where the majority of the objections to them come from, because the good ones (Mazda, Mercedes, Ford surprisingly) are actually really well done and seamless.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

10-15 over is only 75-80 on highways which is slow (which I like now since I’m way older )

85 and above is what I would consider fast for highways. And that’s where cops start pulling you over

euphronius fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 1, 2023

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Doing the speed limit in the PNW will require you to constantly weave across lanes to pass people, whereas on I-95 it's a good way to get people to use the shoulder to blast by you while giving you the finger.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

euphronius posted:

10-15 over is only 75-80 on highways which is slow (which I like now since I’m way older )

85 and above is what I would consider fast for highways. And that’s where cops start pulling you over

I used to set CC at 7MPH over the limit, having heard some story years ago that 7 over is where cops usually will get you.

After Covid lockdown though, that 7MPH is slow now, I get passed all the time. So i've bumped it up to 9 over, 79 in a 70.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Professor Shark posted:

I got a RAV4 yesterday and it has the “you don’t own anything anymore” thing where you get a three year subscription to their app that runs all the technology then it’s $10 a month

I’m hoping in three years they’ll have dropped it or I can back my own car or something

Yea, I really soured on Toyota when the remote start feature on my car expired. I'm glad I have a garage so its not a huge issue, but what the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lmfao, guess I’m driving my subscription-free 2012 Civic until I die.