Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

Mario RPG musing:

What exactly is Booster's deal supposed to be? As a kid I just kind of accepted that there is a weird guy in a weird hat who lives in a big tower with a bunch of snifits and rides a model train around it going "CHOO CHOOOO" and he plays with dolls and bugs and when a princess falls from the sky onto his empty unsheltered balcony he decides to lock her up there, and then he decides to marry her because you get to eat cake at weddings (although he doesn't know how to eat cake), but I played that arc last night and was struggling to really explain any of it

Is he just supposed to be, like, a really inbred nobleman or something? Why does he have a Viking helmet?

it's been a while since i played it but from what I remember + your descriptions it sounds like they were going for kind of a Pokey vibe of "the nasty bully kid who doesn't share his toys"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's been a while since i played it but from what I remember + your descriptions it sounds like they were going for kind of a Pokey vibe of "the nasty bully kid who doesn't share his toys"

I guess, but Pokey is explicitly a child and Booster has a full beard. I guess "Peach landed at a manchild's house" was the initial note Squaresoft wrote down and they went wild from there

Booster is a goon

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
of course but they're speaking to their intended audience (children)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
he is absolutely a manchild within the actual text of the story tho yeah

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

loquacius posted:

Mario RPG musing:

What exactly is Booster's deal supposed to be? As a kid I just kind of accepted that there is a weird guy in a weird hat who lives in a big tower with a bunch of snifits and rides a model train around it going "CHOO CHOOOO" and he plays with dolls and bugs and when a princess falls from the sky onto his empty unsheltered balcony he decides to lock her up there, and then he decides to marry her because you get to eat cake at weddings (although he doesn't know how to eat cake), but I played that arc last night and was struggling to really explain any of it

Is he just supposed to be, like, a really inbred nobleman or something? Why does he have a Viking helmet?

in japanese his name is ブッキー/Bukkī, possibly meaning inept or ugly. he's a failson 7th generation noble who's too stupid to eat cake

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Need a higher resolution petter in fortnite for my sig

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Need a higher resolution petter in fortnite for my sig

soon, my friend...

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I always viewed him as an American stereotype like a NEET / used car salesman / washed up pro-wrestler

A proto Wario

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A lot of the stuff in Mario RPG doesn't really have an explanation I guess

In this sewer there is an English bulldog with four eyes who eats people and can also turn them into scarecrows. He's not related to the extradimensional invaders driving the main plot; he just lives in the sewer. On the other side of the continent there's also an ancient temple where people once worshiped the dog.

Hatebag posted:

in japanese his name is ブッキー/Bukkī, possibly meaning inept or ugly. he's a failson 7th generation noble who's too stupid to eat cake

I guess samurai helmets frequently had horns on them too, not just Viking ones, meaning if you're trying to communicate "inbred nobleman" to a Japanese audience poor hygiene and a horned hat would probably do the job just as well as a powdered wig and heavy makeup would to a Western audience

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
just last night I was talking to a friend being like "nah man I'm trying to save money right now, I can't afford to spend that much on an Eminem skin. it's not worth it, gotta be a grown up" and now I'm gonna buy a loving peter griffin skin instead

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fried Watermelon posted:

I always viewed him as an American stereotype like a NEET / used car salesman / washed up pro-wrestler

A proto Wario

Mario RPGs didn't tread this ground until a chapter boss in Super Paper Mario was an otaku chameleon

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

Mario RPGs didn't tread this ground until a chapter boss in Super Paper Mario was an otaku chameleon

OTACHAM

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

loquacius posted:

Mario RPG musing:

he's a rapist

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

loquacius posted:

A lot of the stuff in Mario RPG doesn't really have an explanation I guess

In this sewer there is an English bulldog with four eyes who eats people and can also turn them into scarecrows. He's not related to the extradimensional invaders driving the main plot; he just lives in the sewer. On the other side of the continent there's also an ancient temple where people once worshiped the dog.

I guess samurai helmets frequently had horns on them too, not just Viking ones, meaning if you're trying to communicate "inbred nobleman" to a Japanese audience poor hygiene and a horned hat would probably do the job just as well as a powdered wig and heavy makeup would to a Western audience

what the hell is his hat supposed to be?:

in some drawings it looks like he's wearing an enemy as a hat, in others a hex screw or maybe a button. and he's got raver/steampunk glasses. this man is an enigma

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

Mario RPG musing:

Rich people be wildin

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

just last night I was talking to a friend being like "nah man I'm trying to save money right now, I can't afford to spend that much on an Eminem skin. it's not worth it, gotta be a grown up" and now I'm gonna buy a loving peter griffin skin instead

That's a sound financial decision tho

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I thunk it will be battlepass

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

I thunk it will be battlepass

friggin sweet

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

There are going to be so many Peters. The only non-peters will be bots

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
aw im playing Satisfactory for the first time and it gave me a little advent calendar

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

vr rules lol

shame about eveyrthing else about it

i fired up the ol quest 2 the other day to see if there was anything new and its basically still the same game selection as it was in 2016
tho some of the vr community gets real mad if you say this and they go "what are you on about, theres been dozens of games this year alone! pokerVR, virtual pool, REAL tennis pro, just to name a few!"

at least give me superhot vr 2

The only vr game anyone needs is pavlov because it lets you be fully immersed in the very essence of first person shooters (counter strike source)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lmao if the leak ends up being fake

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Lmao if the leak ends up being fake

it would break me

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Moving on

https://twitter.com/RockstarGames/status/1730587560726892883

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

I’m glad I’m a simple man capable of enjoying garbage

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The earlier leaks indicated gta6 would take place in Texas didn't it?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

The earlier leaks indicated gta6 would take place in Texas didn't it?

I thought it was gonna be vice city again :saddumb:

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was multiplayer only

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

I thought it was gonna be vice city again :saddumb:

The leaks hinted at it maybe being like a huge gulf map that included vice city too so we'll see!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

goth smoking cloves posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was multiplayer only

they should do it Star Wars: The Old Republic style and have a bunch of different instanced storylines players can go through while interacting with each other in the big areas

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

they should do it Star Wars: The Old Republic style and have a bunch of different instanced storylines players can go through while interacting with each other in the big areas

hard disagree

I do not play games to see other people
get out of my games

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
if it's multiplayer only that top has already been popped

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I feel like I'm in the minority and don't give a single gently caress about GTA

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i'm in the zone where I am open to being enticed to play it - I have enjoyed GTA in the past. but given rockstar's trajectory, it will probably not be a day one purchase for me

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

triple sulk posted:

I feel like I'm in the minority and don't give a single gently caress about GTA

I think they hit the limit of what could be done with the format with GTA 4 and then Saints Row 4 came out and showed it's way more fun to be a superhero jumping around the city and everything since has felt like a regression

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

lol vr headsets cost $1000. neo geo rear end bullshit

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

https://archive.org/download/gta-6-all-leaked-gameplay-footage-grand-theft-auto-vi_20220918

Looks like Florida to me

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Kaiserreich just got out of beta after seven years and finally made Germany playable :woop:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

how the hell was Germany not playable in a game called kaiserreich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

evilmiera posted:

I mean I've seen a bunch of love letters to that era but they all kinda fall short, what are some real standouts about the game itself?

everything. everything you love in a beautiful package.