Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

jesus WEP posted:

if you want to see more from mean mark you can read any post in this subforum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The thing with wrestling booking going out of control is at the heart your doing a worked event so if it works it can be a hell of a drug and just makes you think you can keep doing even crazier stuff cause hey it worked for you before!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The thing with wrestling booking going out of control is at the heart your doing a worked event so if it works it can be a hell of a drug and just makes you think you can keep doing even crazier stuff cause hey it worked for you before!

this is also known as Bischoff Syndrome

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

HonorableTB posted:

this is also known as Bischoff Syndrome

you can't teach that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHx6oJ9J4Cc

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

if you want to see more from mean mark you can read any post in this subforum!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

The Undertaker wrestled under "Mean Mark" for the WCW in 1989 and Teddy Long was his manager?!?

Edit: oh wait this episode is from 1990. poo poo. My exclamation still stands

Edit2: I'm up to WrestleWar '89. Great Muta shpuld have been a heavyweight title contender.

Great Muta fact: Hes on excursion at this time to season him up for his big heavyweight run for his home company NJPW. NJPW and WCW work together a lot in the 90s and you will see a few split shows run between them.

Great Muta is my favorite wrestler and i do the Muta mist throat pinch to taunt my friends more than an adult should.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
It's funny that both WCW & WWF immediately knew to give Mean Mark & The Undertaker a manager so he didn't have to talk that much.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

syzpid posted:

It's funny that both WCW & WWF immediately knew to give Mean Mark & The Undertaker a manager so he didn't have to talk that much.

It's even funnier that later he got a big head (I mean, an even bigger head) and started cutting promos for himself as the AMERICAN BADASS.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's even funnier that later he got a big head (I mean, an even bigger head) and started cutting promos for himself as the AMERICAN BADASS.

American Badass was such a bad gimmick and I couldn't believe people thought that after he retired he might return as the American Badass. During his world title run as American Badass was when I stopped watching WWE.

It's weird that biker gimmicks never seem to work.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There’s something about biker gimmicks that makes them feel extra forced I think, like the wrestling equivalent of a middle aged dad who buys himself a harley

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I mean, Undertaker using Rollin' as the American Badass is probably the only thing keeping Limp Bizkit alive in anybody's memory. I'm not saying this is a good thing, just that American Badass Taker was over.

Plus that Jeff Hardy ladder match is pretty iconic and that was with Biker Taker. It wouldn't have worked with any other incarnation of Taker, especially the angle at the end with earning Taker's "respect" to try and elevate Jeff.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

syzpid posted:

American Badass was such a bad gimmick and I couldn't believe people thought that after he retired he might return as the American Badass. During his world title run as American Badass was when I stopped watching WWE.

It's weird that biker gimmicks never seem to work.

Tell that to Kota Ibushi.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MassRafTer posted:

Tell that to Kota Ibushi.

Lmfao

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Limp Bizkit are back and riding a weird wave of nu metal nostalgia, Fred Durst has leaned into the fact he’s a caricature of a human being and it’s kind of endearing. They don’t need the Undertaker anymore.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I remember going to a Raw or Smackdown when Taker was using "Rollin'" and it was funny watching people punch the person next to them in the head while trying to do the dance.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Face Bikertaker was eh but heel bikertaker was great

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

That promo where Bikertaker rambles on about training up the formerly soft Big Show by dumping off him off in Death Valley, 120 degrees without food or fuel. It was so random and over the top I've never been able to forget it.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

iamsosmrt posted:

That promo where Bikertaker rambles on about training up the formerly soft Big Show by dumping off him off in Death Valley, 120 degrees without food or fuel. It was so random and over the top I've never been able to forget it.

Don't forget the part where he says Big Show told him he'd kill Undertaker and wear his skin as a jacket and then eat that jacket to survive

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
And then a recently debuted Jericho interrupted them, right? Was that the same promo?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Rusty Shackelford posted:

And then a recently debuted Jericho interrupted them, right? Was that the same promo?
yeah and got backstage heat for correctly pointing out how boring taker’s promo was lol

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jericho was new and he forgot that undertaker got more shower time than Jericho got ring time

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I feel like most of the stories I've heard about Taker being a locker room arch-bully happened during the Bikertaker Era. Is that accurate, or am I telling myself a just-so story here?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

I feel like most of the stories I've heard about Taker being a locker room arch-bully happened during the Bikertaker Era. Is that accurate, or am I telling myself a just-so story here?

It also coincided with the invasion angle and all the WCW guys coming in. The WWE locker room in general was like "gently caress those guys" and taker was judge, jury & executioner. But in general he seemed like a complete Dick with all the wrestlers court stuff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

I've never really heard those stories, just how much of a Locker Room Leader he was and the judge at Wrestlers' Court, both of which I can imagine just equate to being the biggest bully.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

heel biker taker was much better than face biker taker because the best gimmicks are your own personality turned up to 11

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's even funnier that later he got a big head (I mean, an even bigger head)

Twenty five pounds!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Wrestler's Court produced the funniest and also dumbest situations I've ever heard of in pro wrestling. Systematic informalized bullying but it resulted in Miz having to get dressed in the hallway for a while because he ate fried chicken over someone's wrestling bag and covered all their gear in chicken crumbs and when wrestlers court was limited to things like that, where no one got hurt or seriously humiliated and someone learned to have respect for their coworkers, it's great. When Al Snow and Mick Foley were hauled in front of wrestlers court for ditching Bob Holly and having to pay his road expenses for a week, that was funny and also fair.

When it resulted in JBL hauling in Melina because of a bet with the boys over how long it would take him to make her cry, it was bad and abusive and also gently caress JBL

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

HonorableTB posted:

Wrestler's Court produced the funniest and also dumbest situations I've ever heard of in pro wrestling. Systematic informalized bullying but it resulted in Miz having to get dressed in the hallway for a while because he ate fried chicken over someone's wrestling bag and covered all their gear in chicken crumbs and when wrestlers court was limited to things like that, where no one got hurt or seriously humiliated and someone learned to have respect for their coworkers, it's great. When Al Snow and Mick Foley were hauled in front of wrestlers court for ditching Bob Holly and having to pay his road expenses for a week, that was funny and also fair.

When it resulted in JBL hauling in Melina because of a bet with the boys over how long it would take him to make her cry, it was bad and abusive and also gently caress JBL

The someone was Chris Benoit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LOLing forever that JBL got his clock wound by Joey Styles like they were Biff Tannen and George McFly.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

heel biker taker was much better than face biker taker because the best gimmicks are your own personality turned up to 11

Kronik trying to big time undertaker and kane in their first match and immediately getting fired ftw

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

LOLing forever that JBL got his clock wound by Joey Styles like they were Biff Tannen and George McFly.

I wonder how many beers were bought for Stevie Richards after he obliterated JBL with the stiffest chair shot I've ever seen

E: Hmm, apparently it was an accident and JBL wanted to play it off like a shoot? Idk if I believe that. Him getting a chairshot receipt for shoot punching Blue Meanie is way more believable to me given JBL's extensive history of being a rancid rear end in a top hat to everyone around

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

HonorableTB posted:

I wonder how many beers were bought for Stevie Richards after he obliterated JBL with the stiffest chair shot I've ever seen

This is one of those things that’s really gross and disgusting but then you see who it happened to and you just kinda shrug and go about your business

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Foo posted:

This is one of those things that’s really gross and disgusting but then you see who it happened to and you just kinda shrug and go about your business

According to Stevie it was a legit accident because JBL was so much taller than him Stevie didn't know if he could hit him properly and JBL said 'just lay into me' and Stevie did as instructed. JBL apparently didn't care because, I don't know, respecting the business or whatever.

One is free to imagine to their heart's content where getting such permission Stevie didn't put a little extra pepper into it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Lmao at Flair beating Steamboat at WrestleWar and the crowd being mostly pissed about it. Lmao at them immediately pivoting from Steamboat vs Flair to Funk vs Flair.

Steamboat done dirty.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

the sex ghost posted:

Kronik trying to big time undertaker and kane in their first match and immediately getting fired ftw

Funny thing is, Taker was apparently really good friends with Brian Adams and was always pulling for the guy when he was in WWF as Crush. But...well, he still sucked so what can you do. I have friends who suck at their job, too.

But everyone seemed to love Brian Adams. from Bryan and Vinny's mentor Buddy Wayne all the way up to Bret Hart, Taker, and Randy Savage. I just always found this intersting and endearing.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

NikkolasKing posted:

Funny thing is, Taker was apparently really good friends with Brian Adams and was always pulling for the guy when he was in WWF as Crush. But...well, he still sucked so what can you do. I have friends who suck at their job, too.

But everyone seemed to love Brian Adams. from Bryan and Vinny's mentor Buddy Wayne all the way up to Bret Hart, Taker, and Randy Savage. I just always found this intersting and endearing.

It’s not a shocker, brah

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The story about Styles knocking Foghorn Leghorn Jr on his rear end is good, but the one where Blackman does it is even better because the longer version I heard consists of JBL apologizing and basically begging for his life while Ken Shamrock, I believe, is trying to talk Steve out of murdering his rear end

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Crush was one of those guys I couldn't help but like. Everything about him was so dumb and goofy, and then you see they put him in the intercontinental scene with Shawn Michaels in 1993 and you're like, holy poo poo he's about to win the belt off of this monster push he's been getting

then he gets double doinked at the first king of the ring :hmbol:

e: nobody who was trained by inoki himself deserves to get double doinked out of multiple big match wins at papes

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 1, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The story about Styles knocking Foghorn Leghorn Jr on his rear end is good, but the one where Blackman does it is even better because the longer version I heard consists of JBL apologizing and basically begging for his life while Ken Shamrock, I believe, is trying to talk Steve out of murdering his rear end

The story came to us from Bob Holly and the only thing that kept Blackman from destroying JBL's knees was getting his foot caught in a luggage handle because real fights are chaotic. Steve was apparently hot the rest of the day - and Shamrock and Holly weren't trying to talk him down they were trying to rile him up even more because wrestlers - but once JBL got to the arena Blackman got in his face again and JBL apologized well enough Blackman let it go.

I like to think Ron Simmons told JBL "You do whatever it takes to apologize to that man." It's also interesting he didn't exactly wade in to help his tag team partner and by all accounts friend.

(What really amuses me about the account is Holly talking about riding with Shamrock and Blackman and saying "That was a dangerous car!" Well, 2/3rds of one, Bob.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
its a very bad idea to pick a fight with the man that had both malaria and dysentery who not only survived but willed himself back into peak physical condition afterwards