Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

more falafel please posted:

i might just skip this taz. i just can't bring myself to give a poo poo about f-list marvel characters and also miles morales

:ok:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lol wait are they actually literally doing a Marvel™ thing?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Entropic posted:

I haven't listented but isnt that what Clint originally was doing way back when after Balance?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Entropic posted:

Yeah, they're using the Marvel RPG system and continuing the story of the characters they wrote in that comic, including literally miles morales played by one of the guests

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

continuing the story of the characters they wrote in that comic

wait what comic?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

https://www.amazon.com/WAR-REALMS-JOURNEY-INTO-MYSTERY/dp/1302918346

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Yeah, they're using the Marvel RPG system and continuing the story of the characters they wrote in that comic, including literally miles morales played by one of the guests

Hang on, if you're making something for profit can you even DO that without Disney's explicit permission?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

That seems like a really good way to get sued/a c&d by the mouse

Unless it's some bizarre cross promotion?

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Yeah, it's probably a cross promotion thing since it looks like the Marvel RPG rulebook was published just a few months ago.

A quick Google didn't turn up anything about whether there's a general license to 'perform' games of the system for profit, which I remember hearing was an issue with that Dungeons & Dragons kerfuffle from not too long ago.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
They are playing an officially licensed Marvel RPG that has Marvel characters built into it. It's not fundamentally any different than podcasting D&D with their trademarks. Or playing Spider-Man 2 on Twitch, for that matter.

A quick search shows a few other podcasts and YouTube game sessions going but I wasn't able to find any info on Marvel's site about the podcast policy.

That said, I would not be surprised if Marvel had approached them to do this as marketing for the game.

e:fb

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Paper Tiger posted:

Yeah, it's probably a cross promotion thing since it looks like the Marvel RPG rulebook was published just a few months ago.

A quick Google didn't turn up anything about whether there's a general license to 'perform' games of the system for profit, which I remember hearing was an issue with that Dungeons & Dragons kerfuffle from not too long ago.

It's not so much the system (I don't think anyone would bother going after anyone playing D&D or the Marvel RPG on camera/podcast unless they were making an absolute fortune), more using a character like Miles Morales or Wonder Man.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Zero One posted:

That said, I would not be surprised if Marvel had approached them to do this as marketing for the game.

Ta ta na na na ta da I wanna HULK

Smash!

ta ta na na na I want to HULK

Smash!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Fil5000 posted:

It's not so much the system (I don't think anyone would bother going after anyone playing D&D or the Marvel RPG on camera/podcast unless they were making an absolute fortune), more using a character like Miles Morales or Wonder Man.

That is the entire basis of the game: you play as and with Marvel characters.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fil5000 posted:

Hang on, if you're making something for profit can you even DO that without Disney's explicit permission?

if they’re doing Marvel poo poo without Disney paying them for it that’s incredibly sad

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Clint is a writer for Marvel, I'd imagine this is done with Marvel's blessing

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Zero One posted:

That is the entire basis of the game: you play as and with Marvel characters.

I totally get that, but most people that play the game probably aren't making money off of it. That's where I presume it would get a bit fuzzy

I gotta imagine it's with Marvel's blessing though. I actually was kinda into Clint's super hero game way back when, so I'm glad to see it come back. I'll have to listen to the episode though because someone playing as Miles feels like.. weird to me I guess? I guess just because that's such an established character with the spiderverse movies and the games to me at this point, since I haven't read comics in a long time

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
miles moralism

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I really really hope they pivot a bit and treat the characters a bit more like folks listening don’t read up on Marvel. I don’t know or care who Wonderman is. The pilot lady I’ve never heard of. It isn’t a huge deal but a sentence or two describing them would be appreciated.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I totally get that, but most people that play the game probably aren't making money off of it. That's where I presume it would get a bit fuzzy

I gotta imagine it's with Marvel's blessing though. I actually was kinda into Clint's super hero game way back when, so I'm glad to see it come back. I'll have to listen to the episode though because someone playing as Miles feels like.. weird to me I guess? I guess just because that's such an established character with the spiderverse movies and the games to me at this point, since I haven't read comics in a long time

The official Super Street Fighter 2 Tabletop Game has rules and stat tables for each of the characters which I find fascinating

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Clint's superhero game was a different one with an original setting.

Still, this is good so far.

Or I just feel seen by the CPAP joke.

edit to not double post --

Warbird posted:

I really really hope they pivot a bit and treat the characters a bit more like folks listening don’t read up on Marvel. I don’t know or care who Wonderman is. The pilot lady I’ve never heard of. It isn’t a huge deal but a sentence or two describing them would be appreciated.

I'll give a quick rundown of the characters, but two quick notes first:

1. Aside from Kate and Miles, these are all D-listers at best. The thing about D-listers is, unless you're several issues into a run where they're main characters, they don't actually expect you to already know about them.

2. Check your local library's website for the book! Might have it! I just read it today it's pretty good even if the best joke that wasn't just Thori existing was Miles telling a Norn who kept calling him "Man Of Spiders," "You know I'm not actually made of spiders, right? That's a different guy." Honestly it didn't clear THAT much up though.
--edit or you could probably :filez:. Or just skip it I guess.

Quick summary of events: There is a WAR OF THE REALMS going on, I do not know what that is. Baldur, Thor's brother, is tasked with taking his baby sister somewhere safe. He does this, teaming up with Thori, Miles, Kate, Wonder Man, Doctor Druid, and Dethlockett. Shenanigans ensue.

Characters:
Dethlockett: She's like Dethlok but a woman. I do not know who Dethlok is. She has cyborg powers?

Sebastian Druid: A D-List magic using former superhero with unspecified magic powers and a coat that's basically a Bag Of Holding full of stolen magic items. Retired from superheroing, currently a babysitter. His status in this podcast is basically a promotion from freelancer to nanny. The height of his superhero career is being on the list that one time Doctor Strange wanted to fake his retirement and make someone else Sorcerer Supreme. IIRC, he was passed over for Brother Voodoo. Played by Justin.

Thori The God-Dog: As far as I know he's original to this and the miniseries. He's a god dog from Asgard. If Griffin using his God Voice for a dog who is "powered by violence and Fancy Feast" does not have you immediately on board with this character I do not know why you are listening.

Wonder Man: An early member of the Avengers, a founding member of the West Coast Avengers, at one point while he was dead revealed to be the brain template for The Vision or something, Wonder Man should be a Big loving Deal. Much to his chagrin and contrary to his massive ego, he is not. Nobody gives a gently caress about Wonder Man. I think he has your normal flying strong dude powers? He is a pacifist and a D-List movie star now, also mostly retired from superheroing. Pretend he's Booster Gold or Johnny Cage but a pacifist and you're like 80% of the way there. Played by Travis doing his most Travis PC yet.

Kate Bishop / Hawkeye: You might already know who she is from an MCU show I didn't watch. I mostly know her from Matt Fraction's Hawkeye comic I read years ago and don't remember well. You know Hawkeye? She's like him but spunkier, more competent, and without the inferiority complex he sometimes has about being a guy with a bow on a team with a god. At one point a version of the New Avengers that included a bunch of her former teammates from the Young Avengers was very disappointed to get Guy Hawkeye instead of her.

Oh right also she bought Hawkeye's bow and took the name while he was pretending to be dead for a while, and refused to give either one back, so now there's two Hawkeyes. Played by guest Kate Welch.

Miles Morales / Spider-man: You probably already know who this is. If you don't, you definitely know who Peter Parker / Spider-man is. There's a lot more to it but you're 80% of the way there with "he grew up, he inspired another teenager with spider-powers to be a superhero, and he also calls himself Spider-man and acts like Spider-man and now there's two Spider-mans." Played by guest Gabe Hicks.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 3, 2023

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Thori's a major part of a classic Loki run from the 2010s, and he shows up frequently in modern Thor comics too. He's a hellhound pup raised by Loki who sort of mirrors Loki's "bad seed with good intentions" character arc.

I'd say he's a C-lister just in terms of number of appearances in popular comics, although he's always supporting cast and usually comic relief. Griffin's playing him as a lot more verbose than normal, which makes sense because it would probably be a drag to play a character who only does the classic Thori bits of "likes violence" and "is a dog".

Sebastian Druid is the son of (disgraced) former Avenger Doctor Druid, and is, yeah, such a D-lister I thought he and Doctor Druid were the same guy until just now. Justin loves to play a walking anti-climax so this is perhaps perfect for him.

And yeah, Wonder Man's thing is like, "powers on par with Superman, hits at way above the batting average for the Marvel universe, but decided he didn't like the punchy violent part of doing the hero bit and became a pacifist celebrity instead". Sometimes he's written as kind of noble for this, and other times it's a gag about him being a has-been.

I think Gabe is nailing Miles, and Kate as Hawkeye is pretty good too. It's a hard trick to be "in character" for a character that isn't yours, but they feel convincingly like those comic book characters in the first episode, it's cool.

Just mechanically though the system feels shonky. Wonder Man is invulnerable, so it feels weird that an animatronic had a chance to hurt him, Miles' venom blast is usually a finishing move that knocks out the Scorpion in one shot, etc. My guess is that the Marvel Multiverse mechanics just crib a lot from D&D and maybe don't simulate superhero stuff real well.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Android Blues posted:

It's a hard trick to be "in character" for a character that isn't yours, but they feel convincingly like those comic book characters in the first episode, it's cool.

I appreciate the catchup but this is the needle I’m worried that they’re going to have trouble threading here. They’ve never played the most deep characters in past campaigns but I do worry a bit at how dynamic these might be over the course of the run.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Thanks for the info on the characters, I've pretty much heard of none of them other than miles lol

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

im gonna ollie out of taz if it’s doing marvel.

in terms of quality, my view of TAZ seasons:
1. Balance
- gap -
2. Amnesty
3. Steeplechase
- bigger gap -
4. Ethersea
- enormous gap -
5. Graduation

i won’t rank the mini-sessions but i found dust painful but an improvement on graduation

with the exception of balance, all of these start off strong and eventually lose composure. the mcelroy’s have a really, really bad problem with trying to force in serious dramatic storytelling and character drama when i think their strength is in comedy.

this isn’t to say they should steer away from drama entirely, but trying to make it the main appeal (as seemed to be the goal with Ethersea and Graduation) is something liable to end up making everyone unhappy. the last few episodes of Ethersea where everyone is lovely and hates each another is really hard to listen to.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I gave up on Graduation about ten episodes in, and Ethersea and Steeplechase about five episodes in. I like the first few episodes of Outre Space more than any of those campaigns so far. I think it helps that Clint is structuring everything well, and nobody is going in with characters that they have plans for so far.

I like when Actual Plays don't dump all of the PCs' names and bios immediately in the first episode, instead having quick vignettes fir one or two characters at a time.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
TAZ-OS: Justin didn't have a deals cat in Steeplechase, right? I appreciate that Clint remembered to have one again.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Zero One posted:

TAZ-OS: Justin didn't have a deals cat in Steeplechase, right? I appreciate that Clint remembered to have one again.

He did: Stimpson

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Oh duh. I forgot.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am enjoying Clint running things a lot.

He has so much dang fun

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I find Outre Space very difficult to follow so far.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I still wish we had more dadmaps

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I love that Clint is just doing it as a straight-up game where people have to pass improv checks or pick a correct song. It's a nice change.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Can we count this extended MBMBAM intro of Justin listing Wonka promos as a Munch Squad

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

If you’ve been waiting for this year’s good Travis episode, it’s this week!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Every single episode is a good Travis episode

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Thank Travis for Travis

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

grittyreboot posted:

Thank Travis for Travis

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

What's up Trav Nation?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I'm not fond of the current era of Big Dog Woof Woof Travis McElroy because every time Justin tries to set up a bit by putting a spin on the intros, Travis just ignores it to do his same Trav Nation thing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thank God he's not dead, because his world would be empty without him