Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Bondematt posted:

Airlink has been great for me, and the only way I can play Tabor. VD still has stuttering issues in that game.

Edit: For reference, running a 4090 and 5800x3d

Huh, Ill need to do some troubleshooting. Its basically acting as if I have it streaming at an absurdly high resolution and bitrate so its just unusable, yet I can see my airlink settings are all low.

Also gave Steam Link a whirl and while I wish it had the clarity/resolution of VDs Godlike preset(will need to dial in steamvrs settings to match), its compression seems much better than anything Ive gotten out of VD. I have some test saves through various games I use with areas that really show compression artifacting and Im getting virtually zero with SL vs some in VD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

AccountSupervisor posted:

Is AirLink totally messed up for anyone else? I picked up a 4090 recently wanted to do some VD vs AirLink comparisons for the hell of it now that I can use the AV1 codec on my Quest 3 and AirLink is completely unusable.

Had the issue before I got my GPU upgrade and it still persists so not sure whats going on.

A few of my VR buds are having the exact same issue and we have no idea whats going on. Not a big deal as I use VD but just curious to see if anyone else is experiencing this.

That's gotta suck to spend that kinda coin on a gpu and have issues.

Make sure you aren't dealing with 5ghz Wifi traffic if you're not using a Wifi 6 router. If you have more than a dozen SSID's around you, that could be the situation, as it was for me.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

It has been a while since I have used my headset but I used some credit I had to buy walk about levels and beat saber music packs.

However, I noticed that I got a device referral. When did they make the referral $60 instead of $30? Also, if someone here used my device referral from way back, thanks!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

weird, the steamlink thing for quest isn't picking up my quest mic. it's set to use the headset mic and the app on the quest has permission

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Can anyone give a thumbs up/thumbs down on the 7900XTX for vrchat? Is its performance any better than it was on launch? I remember reading that it is/was loving abysmal due to driver fuckery, and that video/audio players do not work properly with an AMD GPU.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

It has been a while since I have used my headset but I used some credit I had to buy walk about levels and beat saber music packs.

However, I noticed that I got a device referral. When did they make the referral $60 instead of $30? Also, if someone here used my device referral from way back, thanks!

device referral was originally $60, then they dropped it to $30 and it still shows that way for me

my guess is the referral happened a long time ago and you just didn't notice it in there until now

it is kinda lame that you have to go in and check to see if it's gone through and hit redeem instead of it being automatically added to your account

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

ChocNitty posted:

That's gotta suck to spend that kinda coin on a gpu and have issues.

Make sure you aren't dealing with 5ghz Wifi traffic if you're not using a Wifi 6 router. If you have more than a dozen SSID's around you, that could be the situation, as it was for me.

I havent used AirLink in a long long time so its not a big deal luckily.

Thankfully everything outside of AirLink performs like an absolute dream and my 4090 is giving me the high fidelity VR Ive wanted since I built my original GTX 970 VR rig n 2016, so coin well invested.

Ill look into the wifi 6/5ghz stuff. Definitely something weird happening.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

That could be. I had gotten a referral years ago for $30 so I do not know if this happened first but I am not complaining.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

orange juche posted:

Can anyone give a thumbs up/thumbs down on the 7900XTX for vrchat? Is its performance any better than it was on launch? I remember reading that it is/was loving abysmal due to driver fuckery, and that video/audio players do not work properly with an AMD GPU.

AMD improved (fixed?) VR performance for the 7000 series back in July. I'm not really sure how the performance compares to the Radeon 6000 series or the GeForce 4070 Ti / 4080 as nobody really does VR performance comparison benchmarks. Its usually just some people on YouTube doing very unscientific tests and saying things are better.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Oxyclean posted:

weird, the steamlink thing for quest isn't picking up my quest mic. it's set to use the headset mic and the app on the quest has permission

Sometimes SLink sets the volume on mics super low. Try turning up the mic's volume in the Windows sound settings and SteamVR settings.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

From what I'm reading on Internet, for some people it works better than previous solutions (VD/Airlink), and for some people it works worse.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
My problem with steam link is the foveated rendering on the quest 3. I love the beautiful edge to edge clarity of the optics and it’s just gone with steam link. You’d think it’d be optional but I’ll be hosed if I can find it.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

What's the goon consensus on a good headstrap for a quest 3? I have the Bobo VR one with the battery for 2 and liked it - is the one for 3 good?

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

The one for quest 3 is the same strap with an adapter on it basically. Since you already have the adapter for quest 2 you could just get an adapter for it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Anti-Tachyon posted:

Thanks everyone. Now that I have some new terms to search, it seems like I might be able to get away with a mesh or wifi booster and connecting that to the pc via ethernet. I had a very old booster that didn't work, but I think a wifi 6 one might.
If powerline/coax/phoneline networking is not possible and your PC can be wired directly to the remote AP your headset will be connected to this is IMO the best option you have, but you are going to need to choose your hardware carefully. You will most likely need to replace your entire WiFi system unless it's one that has official support for additional mesh stations.

A "booster" that isn't part of an integrated system is the worst way to extend network coverage, never use those. The whole system needs to be aware of what's going on.

For a mesh system you want one with dedicated radios for uplink, otherwise internet performance will be halved at every hop and interference will be greater with all the remote stations operating on the same channel.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Novasol posted:

The one for quest 3 is the same strap with an adapter on it basically. Since you already have the adapter for quest 2 you could just get an adapter for it.

Oh sweet I'll just go that route. Thanks!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Zosologist posted:

My problem with steam link is the foveated rendering on the quest 3. I love the beautiful edge to edge clarity of the optics and it’s just gone with steam link. You’d think it’d be optional but I’ll be hosed if I can find it.

You can increase the foveated size. Not sure how much how you can make it on the Quest 3 though.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

vaginite posted:

Oh sweet I'll just go that route. Thanks!

Just note that the batteries drain much, much quicker on the Quest 3.

Still quite usable, but I change them every hour of play instead of not thinking about it at all.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

They only needed ... 2.5 years of post support development for this basic feature, but hey, better late than never!
https://twitter.com/DemeoGame/status/1730607961502810451

and H3VR announces the 111th update
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFwA3qkMtCo

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 1, 2023

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Can I use this to play flatscreen games from my deck (I lost my nreal glasses and miss the giant screen but don't want to spend the $$ on a new pair :( )

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Not sure how many of ya'll losers have trackers and stuff but this games really fun.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2005050/Dance_Dash/

Neat how an accessory company ended up making a game. :D

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

EbolaIvory posted:

Not sure how many of ya'll losers have trackers and stuff but this games really fun.

Whoa it's full body synth riders

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ShaneB posted:

Whoa it's full body synth riders

Its VR dance rush!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCbWxu4GA2k

Its seriously really fun. Cleaned out my office today so I don't die dancing around.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Can I play Tetris Effect on quest while laying down?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

eddiewalker posted:

Can I play Tetris Effect on quest while laying down?

if you can get your room to face the ceiling yeah it should make the game launch that same direction. Similar pain in the dick with watching movies. Gotta make the playspace think its sideways or whatever.

Another game I've had fun with recently that tetris reminded me of.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1118070/1976__Back_to_midway/

Its exactly what you'd expect if you remember the old games.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Turin Turambar posted:

They only needed ... 2.5 years of post support development for this basic feature, but hey, better late than never!
https://twitter.com/DemeoGame/status/1730607961502810451

And not available for multiplayer games?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kazy posted:

Sometimes SLink sets the volume on mics super low. Try turning up the mic's volume in the Windows sound settings and SteamVR settings.

Yeah, I think that might have been what it was? I fiddled with the volume setting in steamVR and it looks like it was picking up, but it seemed like it slider was at mid way already. (and in one menu the gain was already maxed?) Will need to check the windows settings next time I guess.

Though, something particularly screwy happened - upon opening some menu in steam caused all the audio on my PC to get lowered a bunch, even once I got out of VR and whatnot, it doesn't look like any volume settings I could see got hosed with, and a reboot fixed it.

Kazy posted:

You can increase the foveated size. Not sure how much how you can make it on the Quest 3 though.

Is this what's causing stuff outside of the the center of view to blur a bunch? I got a quest 2 and whatever is going on with Steam Link feels much more distracting then what I'm used to from Virtual Desktop.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why on earth would Steam Link be set up to do foveation on headsets without eye trackers?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

All the VR streaming apps do foveation of some kind, since it makes sense to prioritize bitrate on the center of the image where the user focuses at most and optical clarity is highest.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What are some good alternatives to the Quest 2 headstraps? Battery mount is nice but not required. I have the Elite one but it's breaking.
3D printing is also an option and I'm not above finagling to assemble or frankenstein things.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Croccers posted:

What are some good alternatives to the Quest 2 headstraps? Battery mount is nice but not required. I have the Elite one but it's breaking.
3D printing is also an option and I'm not above finagling to assemble or frankenstein things.

DAS + Adapters.

Its somehow loving 25 dollars on amazon right now.
https://amzn.to/416jvuP

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

EbolaIvory posted:

DAS + Adapters.

Yeah it's really that or the BoboVR M2.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

DAS + Adapters.

$148.51 AUD on AusAmazon :V

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I caved and picked up a Quest 3, and I gotta say it DOES feel like a nice step up from the 2. The lenses are awesome, and I really like the implementation of the passthrough.

Does anyone have a referral link for Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes? I’ve been wanting to try the VR version.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Croccers posted:

$148.51 AUD on AusAmazon :V

HAHAHA loving RIP AUSSIE TECH PRICES

Seriously tho, I feel bad for ya'll.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

EbolaIvory posted:

I have been considering this but I am waiting for Quest 3 straps I guess? Also I don't know how it plays without having one of the full body trackers

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/SadlyItsBradley/status/1730785922344518133?s=20

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

HAHAHA loving RIP AUSSIE TECH PRICES

Seriously tho, I feel bad for ya'll.
I can order from US Amazon and get it shipped to Aus for 90 AUD.
Or I can buy it from Aus Amazon, where it needs to ship from the US and pay 150????

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Croccers posted:

I can order from US Amazon and get it shipped to Aus for 90 AUD.
Or I can buy it from Aus Amazon, where it needs to ship from the US and pay 150????

Absolutely stupid.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have been considering this but I am waiting for Quest 3 straps I guess? Also I don't know how it plays without having one of the full body trackers

Wouldn't know. I have zero intention of trying controllers on my feet. Theres also hand actions in the maps so I'm not sure how that works when your hands are strapped on your feet?

With that said. Using actual trackers on shoes, its a great rear end time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lol yeah according to the videos for the quest it uses visual hand tracking for hand moves.

In other apps the hand tracking is actually pretty good (at least for positioning) so i could see that working