Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why would Dell put an Intel Wi-Fi and Bluetooth module, the most fragile pieces of poo poo known to man, as a soldered-on part in their enterprise laptop range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Thanks Ants posted:

Why would Dell put an Intel Wi-Fi and Bluetooth module, the most fragile pieces of poo poo known to man, as a soldered-on part in their enterprise laptop range?

gently caress you that's why

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

JPrime posted:

and make that hub USB-B!

TBH full size Type B is perfectly fine up to 10gbit speeds for a hub or other larger device that's typically going to be plugged in and left there. It's not the best for high cycle count applications, but for most "desktop" type devices that aren't going to be getting unplugged regularly it doesn't matter, and its chonky design is pretty durable if it gets yanked on.

It's Micro-B that needs to die now, and Mini-B that should have been dead over a decade ago. Those should 100% be replaced by Type C in every case where compatibility with existing docks or other hard to replace specialty plugs isn't a factor.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

A Frosty Witch posted:

Yeah it looks like my storage is 98% full.

Time to replace me with some other buffalo.

drat did it take me forever to put together that Frosty Witch was involved in the Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo and everyting else involved in that whole storyline. Congrats to her.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have a 150 TB buffalo we’re retiring at work that I’m taking home. Hello new Plex box.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

gently caress yeah! Congratulations Frosty Witch!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

drat did it take me forever to put together that Frosty Witch was involved in the Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo and everyting else involved in that whole storyline. Congrats to her.

I never put the two together either!

Have a fun one today. Trying to get a product team to not use the same user/pass for a support account for all of our customers. It looks like, though of course my cheap company doesnt have the logs to prove this, that a rep entered in creds to a phishing site. So now I'm trying to explain to them that they need to not reuse the same creds and rotate ALL of them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

why are you not using sso and mfa

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The Fool posted:

why are you not using sso and mfa

We do.

This team has chosen to not put in the time to setup their database stores in our system. Yes I am powerless to enforce this.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I hate that I'm losing my cool on responding to people on tickets, but the thing we are getting are just wearing me down. We have a bunch of HP G5 docks for laptops, and they are plagued with problems. Biggest issue is at times, they just stop connecting to the network. DHCP fails and they can't get an address. If you disconnect the network cable and reboot them, they generally work. Or install the latest firmware which seems to fix it. It doesn't seem like they can install the firmware however, since a lot of laptops are locked down to the point they can't run the installer.
So, the incident team decided that this is a network problem, and dumps a bunch of tickets in our queue. We send them back, they wait a while, collect a bunch more tickets in a group, and redrop them in.
One of the people latched onto an old issue, where someone disconnected cables from a video conference unit, and randomly plugged them back into the network. On a Cisco room kit, there is a port used to connect to the touch pad. This port also has a dhcp server on it, so the touchpad can easily get an address. But, if you plug that port into a random network port, guess what. However, none of the sites with dock issues have a system doing that, but they won't let go.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I never put the two together either!

Have a fun one today. Trying to get a product team to not use the same user/pass for a support account for all of our customers. It looks like, though of course my cheap company doesnt have the logs to prove this, that a rep entered in creds to a phishing site. So now I'm trying to explain to them that they need to not reuse the same creds and rotate ALL of them.

Oh hey, a similar thing happened to a company I worked for in 2019. Some senior sales rear end in a top hat with admin access to the C&C service got phished with no MFA. 30k machines got cryptolockered. It (the amount of money they paid me to help unfuck the situation) was pretty cool. Triple document your advice and get figgies to save them later, I guess.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

CitizenKain posted:

I hate that I'm losing my cool on responding to people on tickets, but the thing we are getting are just wearing me down. We have a bunch of HP G5 docks for laptops, and they are plagued with problems. Biggest issue is at times, they just stop connecting to the network. DHCP fails and they can't get an address. If you disconnect the network cable and reboot them, they generally work. Or install the latest firmware which seems to fix it. It doesn't seem like they can install the firmware however, since a lot of laptops are locked down to the point they can't run the installer.
So, the incident team decided that this is a network problem, and dumps a bunch of tickets in our queue. We send them back, they wait a while, collect a bunch more tickets in a group, and redrop them in.
One of the people latched onto an old issue, where someone disconnected cables from a video conference unit, and randomly plugged them back into the network. On a Cisco room kit, there is a port used to connect to the touch pad. This port also has a dhcp server on it, so the touchpad can easily get an address. But, if you plug that port into a random network port, guess what. However, none of the sites with dock issues have a system doing that, but they won't let go.

In my experience this is just always how it is in networking. It doesn't matter how well you've documented the issue, it doesn't matter how many times you've explained the problem or literally given the responsible team the correct solution, they will always blame the network. It's considered unprofessional to ream them out, no matter how well-earned, so the cycle continues.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Had a similar issue with a notoriously lovely Intel WiFi chipset in my wife's work laptop.

When you were within a few feet (like less than 10) it was fine. Otherwise it was poo poo.

Since her desk at home was not directly under an enterprise AP, performance was spotty at best.

It took sitting with support showing how our phones got better connection than her laptop while sitting farther away (and tons of links about that chipset) to get them to even take a look at it.

Even then they wouldn't get her a new laptop and I ended up putting a high powered Ubiquiti AP in the basement ceiling right under her desk.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 2, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Intel Wi-Fi chips are poo poo but so are all the others. I had a Dell XPS with a "Killer" card in and ended up expensing a replacement M.2 card for it at the start of covid because it couldn't hold a connection to an AP 2 metres away.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

guppy posted:

In my experience this is just always how it is in networking. It doesn't matter how well you've documented the issue, it doesn't matter how many times you've explained the problem or literally given the responsible team the correct solution, they will always blame the network. It's considered unprofessional to ream them out, no matter how well-earned, so the cycle continues.

Of course it's a network issue, it touches the network, right?

*Assigns webmail ticket to network team*

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I mean, our 365 issues can be pinned on network team imposing less than 8mbit of client traffic due to single gigabit uplinks to each switch stack. Most of our users(me included) will use their phone hotspot or their home isp line to move data at a decent pace.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

guppy posted:

You need to think maliciously to defeat it. Agree that the RCA myst be correct, cite whoever said so, and add instructions to the ticket for someone else to work out how to prevent those ports being used and then just kick it back.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

guppy posted:

Yea, I'm used to being blamed for everything, but at least on most things you can point at what the solution was and go "SEE". But this one keeps coming back, and they will hide the actual problem in a ticket by only referencing other tickets, like that episode of TNG. DHCP, when walls fell.

We send it back, and then a variation of that ticket returns, now referencing other unrelated things. No, a power outage at a location isn't related to his. Why yes, they couldn't get an address, but that is because they are sitting in a dark office.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
There's a network problem I just plugged a new device into the switch and I don't have any Internet access on it.

What do you mean the switch sees no light it has to be a configuration problem

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
If a location ever has an issue with wireless, they send someone onsite on a journey to find and reboot the wireless router. So far in every ticket they have mentioned this, it has proven unsuccessful. The primary reason is that at no locations is there a wireless router to reboot. All the APs are managed either in the cloud or on a central controller.
This has led to people going on a fun journey of rebooting things that they think are a wireless router. Or look like one. This did lead to a person going into a shared telco closet at a building and rebooting some equipment that belonged to another company sharing space. Thankfully, that place wasn't open that day and didn't find out.
Thankfully that happened while I was on the road with another project.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The problem with being in networking is that, I'm not taking you seriously because if what you claim to be broken was actually broken we'd loving know. The whole world would be on fire, my entire team would be running around screaming, and so many tangentially related things would be broken that I still wouldn't care about whatever you had to say so please just leave me the gently caress alone.

But I'm not allowed to say that so instead we just go through the motions before I kick you off to someone else.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, that's not even remotely true for most networking teams. Maybe in the most basic of networks.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 4, 2023

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Internet Explorer posted:

Maybe in the most basic of networks.

I'm generalizing of course but it's the opposite. I work for an ISP so if, for example, I have a single customer complaining of a routing issue because they can't get to Google, I can promise you there's no routing problem. Just because your trace ends in our core network doesn't mean the core network is down you're gonna have to trust me on that. Same goes with DHCP for example, it's either working flawlessly or we're in a crisis.

What I'm trying to say is our events tend to be "hundreds of customer calls" or "not service impacting" and there's very little middle ground. Even weird nebulous issues tend to have rippling effects to other services.

In practice about 10% of my job is being the rubber duckie for other teams to talk through their problems with because they're out of ideas on why their poo poo's not working and "eh it must be the network" is always the fallback option.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 4, 2023

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Our entire HQ campus internet went down for about 15 minutes last week because apparently AT&T was on site to do some work and just straight-up unplugged it.

Other than that the latest weird networking issue I had to deal with was machines in remote sites not being able to sign into Onedrive if it was a first-time connection. HQ machines worked fine, and remote site users with existing Onedrive continued to work fine, but if you signed onto a PC at a remote site that didn't have a preexisting cached Windows profile Onedrive would error out when trying to connect. The network team kept insisting it was an individual PC issue across multiple tickets until I finally had to demonstrate by taking a laptop that was working at HQ out to our closest remote site, deleting my profile, and having them connect remotely to watch me do the initial profile setup and see the failure themselves.

Anyway turns out the issue was that when our PCs are imaged they're getting an old version of Onedrive from like 2019, and Onedrive installs itself in the individual user's profile at first logon rather than system-wide. At HQ the first thing Onedrive did after install was go out and download an upgrade to the current version, but at all remote sites this upgrade download was getting blocked causing the error.

The network team was able to fix this but told me the block had been coming from Comcast and they had to get them to remove it, because I'm sure Comcast is regularly in the habit of blocking business customers from access to Microsoft's websites.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Renegret posted:

I'm generalizing of course but it's the opposite. I work for an ISP so if, for example, I have a single customer complaining of a routing issue because they can't get to Google, I can promise you there's no routing problem. Just because your trace ends in our core network doesn't mean the core network is down you're gonna have to trust me on that. Same goes with DHCP for example, it's either working flawlessly or we're in a crisis.

What I'm trying to say is our events tend to be "hundreds of customer calls" or "not service impacting" and there's very little middle ground. Even weird nebulous issues tend to have rippling effects to other services.

In practice about 10% of my job is being the rubber duckie for other teams to talk through their problems with because they're out of ideas on why their poo poo's not working and "eh it must be the network" is always the fallback option.

I'm smaller than you but yeah there's so many people who are sure their tiny problem is a MAJOR COMPANY WIDE PROBLEM lol

nah bro that's all on you

Speaking of DHCP I love how sometimes Netgear routers just decline to perform it once in a while for no clear reason

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Renegret posted:

Oh for sure, if you are working for an ISP and dealing with a lot of end-user facing calls I can only imagine. I guess it's a pet peeve of mine when networking folks are super sure the problem is 100% not their issue because the world isn't on fire. While that may be true 99.9% of the time, sometimes that 00.1% can be an absolute nightmare trying to get someone acknowledge and actually work on.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've been off sick last week and logged in this morning to find that I had been handed the over-run time of someone else's project without being told anything other than the project's title. Apparently this has been blocked by some dev work on our platform not being done, so I have to work out how to chase the dev team to figure out if that's all resolved yet or not.

Accepting this job was a mistake.

Blinkz
Oct 8, 2008

Knormal posted:

Our entire HQ campus internet went down for about 15 minutes last week because apparently AT&T was on site to do some work and just straight-up unplugged it.

Other than that the latest weird networking issue I had to deal with was machines in remote sites not being able to sign into Onedrive if it was a first-time connection. HQ machines worked fine, and remote site users with existing Onedrive continued to work fine, but if you signed onto a PC at a remote site that didn't have a preexisting cached Windows profile Onedrive would error out when trying to connect. The network team kept insisting it was an individual PC issue across multiple tickets until I finally had to demonstrate by taking a laptop that was working at HQ out to our closest remote site, deleting my profile, and having them connect remotely to watch me do the initial profile setup and see the failure themselves.

Anyway turns out the issue was that when our PCs are imaged they're getting an old version of Onedrive from like 2019, and Onedrive installs itself in the individual user's profile at first logon rather than system-wide. At HQ the first thing Onedrive did after install was go out and download an upgrade to the current version, but at all remote sites this upgrade download was getting blocked causing the error.

The network team was able to fix this but told me the block had been coming from Comcast and they had to get them to remove it, because I'm sure Comcast is regularly in the habit of blocking business customers from access to Microsoft's websites.

I've actually run into something similar with Onedrive in the last three months since the latest Onedrive update. We found that silent login and known folder move stopped working for select users on newly given pcs and laptops. After troubleshooting for a really long time I found that if my users had really old Ms365 accounts and it prompts for personal or work/school when logging in that onedrive would get confused and would not sign the user in with the default business account despite this working in older versions. If I delete or rename the old Onedrive personal account this forces Onedrive to silently sign users back in again. Problem is that I have no clue how many of my users have these old legacy accounts and when I contacted Microsoft support they told me to just try and find these users and delete the personal accounts. This may or may not be the same problem you are seeing.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Internet Explorer posted:

Oh for sure, if you are working for an ISP and dealing with a lot of end-user facing calls I can only imagine. I guess it's a pet peeve of mine when networking folks are super sure the problem is 100% not their issue because the world isn't on fire. While that may be true 99.9% of the time, sometimes that 00.1% can be an absolute nightmare trying to get someone acknowledge and actually work on.

My position is this. I am not supposed to be the first port of call for any issue, that is supposed to be the responsibility of T1 support. If you want me to look at it, you should have either done your due diligence first or have a really, really good, borderline unimpeachable reason why you're bringing it directly to me. (Sometimes these reasons do exist, and I'm not just talking about serious outages.) If you come to me without having done any troubleshooting, I will do you the professional courtesy of taking a basic, high-level glance at it, but after that you need to go find out what's going on before you expect me to move mountains. That is because 1. I do not have time to do T1's job all the time in addition to my own, 2. 95%+ of the time, it is not a networking issue, 3. I keep getting escalations for the same issue that is not networking-related, and 4. even a high-level glance at it takes some time. And if you keep crying wolf, you are teaching me that you can't be trusted and are not responsible with other people's time.

It is 100% possible that there is a genuine networking problem that is not immediately obvious, and that my high-level check isn't going to catch, and that a deeper dive will turn up a networking-based root cause. But I simply cannot do a deep dive on every problem people bring to me. The volume of bullshit is too high and so is the number of even "IT people" who think everything is a network problem and don't know how to troubleshoot anything.

To be clear, a good helpdesk team doing troubleshooting is still going to miss things and escalate issues that are really theirs to deal with, and that is fine. I don't expect perfection. But you gotta show me that you're trying or I just do not have time for you.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm reminded of the time I got a ticket from T1 for a customer unable to reach a website, but the trace was from the agent's work PC. And it was a successful trace no less

He had the gall to give me an attitude when I pushed back on it and I wanted to get violent that day I tell you what.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

guppy posted:

I don't expect perfection. But you gotta show me that you're trying or I just do not have time for you.

:hmmyes:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Blinkz posted:

I've actually run into something similar with Onedrive in the last three months since the latest Onedrive update. We found that silent login and known folder move stopped working for select users on newly given pcs and laptops. After troubleshooting for a really long time I found that if my users had really old Ms365 accounts and it prompts for personal or work/school when logging in that onedrive would get confused and would not sign the user in with the default business account despite this working in older versions. If I delete or rename the old Onedrive personal account this forces Onedrive to silently sign users back in again. Problem is that I have no clue how many of my users have these old legacy accounts and when I contacted Microsoft support they told me to just try and find these users and delete the personal accounts. This may or may not be the same problem you are seeing.
Thanks but our issue was fixed just by allowing Onedrive to download the update. I don't think ours prompts for personal or work, or at least I've never seen it, it just auto-logs in with the Azure-linked computer login.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Renegret posted:

Of course it's a network issue, it touches the network, right?

*Assigns webmail ticket to network team*

All our exchange tickets come to my SecOps team. No I don't know why.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

HPs long march through loving up everything they touch continues, as they migrate all of Polys support site to their own and leave thousands of dead links behind and a search that doesn't surface the documents that used to be there.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I saw a memory stick Christmas wreath today and I can't believe it's been 11 years, y'all

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ChubbyThePhat posted:

All our exchange tickets come to my SecOps team. No I don't know why.

I'm sure it makes perfect sense, if you were around 8 years ago when it got dumped on some poor person's lap and nobody bothered fixing it because it's always been done this way.

I've been thinking a lot about absurd divisions of responsibilities because my company is trying to do too much with nothing and it's leading to some silly things.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

A Frosty Witch posted:

I saw a memory stick Christmas wreath today and I can't believe it's been 11 years, y'all

Holy poo poo it's really been that long? Time slows for noone.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

A Frosty Witch posted:

That’s crazy! 11 years…

I’m currently making my way through the Dangerous Chemistry megathread and came across a post referring to a different post in another thread. The chemistry post said “can’t believe that post is six years old!”

The chemistry post about the six year old post is six years old.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If someone puts "made a change" as their only comments in ticket notes then I am coming for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

git commit -am "fixed"