Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Katurah being given a letter from somebody she cut contact with is one of the most hosed up things this show has ever done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that was weird to me. Was she not cut contact when they started?

How did they contact her?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, they also framed it as like kind of hopeful or something, but to me it sounded like the letter was saying "even when you're in another country isolated on an island, you can never escape me."

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
best guess is that each person has a designated contact and CBS will have them collect letters from people, and maybe her contact didn't know? idk. It was terrifying, no wonder she was messed up at the immunity challenge.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Jeff completely misread it on the official podcast too “katurah had that emotional moment where she realized how much going no contact hurt her mother”

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

inferis posted:

Jeff completely misread it on the official podcast too “katurah had that emotional moment where she realized how much going no contact hurt her mother”

WHAT THE gently caress?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
gently caress's sake.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Poque posted:

Katurah being given a letter from somebody she cut contact with is one of the most hosed up things this show has ever done

Then having three other women tell her how lucky she is that the person she cut out of her life for, presumably, very good reasons is trying to force her way back into it.

"Awwww, your mother loves you so much she'll violate your boundaries to make sure you know you can never escape her! That's so beautiful!"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah that was weird to me. Was she not cut contact when they started?

How did they contact her?

I don't know exactly what the schedule is but it's possible that she listed her mother as her contact when she initially applied and then never changed it. Application to actually being on location might well take over a year.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

cock hero flux posted:

I don't know exactly what the schedule is but it's possible that she listed her mother as her contact when she initially applied and then never changed it. Application to actually being on location might well take over a year.

I dunno, I'd imagine things like family / emergency contact information would be up to date right before they left to compete. But also might be possible the information they ask for is just mother / father / etc. and maybe no really digging deep into the survivors actual relationship with them.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Seems much more likely to be idiocy and accident than malice

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

ApplesandOranges posted:

She's never said she is, and I think one has to be very careful about ascribing diagnoses to people randomly off armchair psychology.

She's just blunt, and maybe she might be other things, but I'm not assuming anything unless she's outright said it.

Again, I looked after the first episode - I'm an autistic woman and recognized a lot of similarities - and I recall seeing results that made it clear she was. The only reason I'm having any doubt about that is because I didn't find those results on a search yesterday. I'm not trying to armchair.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It just came across as some point of fact, which it isn't. All I see is that she doesn't have the most keen of social filters. Neither do I, nor do many goons. Though...I might not tell my brand new tribe that I detest music and drive my car in silence :v:

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Propaganda Machine posted:

It just came across as some point of fact, which it isn't. All I see is that she doesn't have the most keen of social filters. Neither do I, nor do many goons. Though...I might not tell my brand new tribe that I detest music and drive my car in silence :v:

I vote out anyone that doesn't listen to the venga boys at full blast, all the time

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i only have dragula on repeat

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

There's way more to it than just being awkward socially

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

“I could vote out the beloved member of the 4 person alliance that has been clearly controlling the vote at the last time before they become the majority or I can trick the tribe pariah into not using his idol and voting him out. Hmm.”

I’m glad I called Drew a villain last week since he pulled the old “my pawn who I’m targeting this week has the nerve to target me?!? How dare he!! He’s the villain!” bullshit. I hate Drew deeply.

I kinda wanted to call out Katurah immediately betraying Bruce to the majority alliance and just being like “oh h I just hate him 🤷‍♂️“. But then she has that panic attack so I feel bad. Plus everyone else did the same thing so 🤷‍♂️. I do not think these are good players.

I guess I’m kind of pulling for one of the non Drew Reba members just because at this stage karmic lessons would be on the non Reba people for never doing a thing about it. But I mean Jake is obviously the sentimental pasty teddy bear if somehow he can manage to get to the end. I don’t think I truly hate anyone this season. I don’t like Drew or Emily but I’m not prepared to call them bad people or anything. But also weirdly as relatively compassionate and loving this crew seems it also feels like a very salty jury to me. Maybe that’s just the old thing where the more emotionally you play the more you burn people. I dunno.

But kudos for Survivor getting “Playing With The Boys”. That was a perfect editing choice. And this is probably the best episode in awhile. I even had butterflies during the vote. I’m sick and on my third beer and tipsy. So forgive me please. I’m like a drunken fool on a survivor reward challenge.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 2, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Tribal should start with spiked punch Jeff serves ritualistically from a seasonal prop. Brings back some of the lore flavour they abandoned and juices the tribal up for some drama and impulsive decisions making.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SteveVizsla posted:

There's way more to it than just being awkward socially

You seem to be taking this personally. You shouldn't. We're talking about a character on a heavily edited reality show. We're here for the entertainment, and nobody should be making assumptions about character or, for gently caress's sake, serious mental health diagnoses.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

STAC Goat posted:

I’m glad I called Drew a villain last week since he pulled the old “my pawn who I’m targeting this week has the nerve to target me?!? How dare he!! He’s the villain!” bullshit. I hate Drew deeply.

I've never wanted someone to be a 0 vote finalist so much.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

STAC Goat posted:

I hate Drew deeply.

I don’t think I truly hate anyone this season.

I’m like a drunken fool

Go home you're drunk lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

You seem to be taking this personally. You shouldn't. We're talking about a character on a heavily edited reality show. We're here for the entertainment, and nobody should be making assumptions about character or, for gently caress's sake, serious mental health diagnoses.

It is a heavily edited show for entertainment. That can include speculating about that person in various ways, like noticing similarities between them to people from your own life or even yourself. If a player was talking constantly joking suicidal ideation and about how life doesn't matter and nothing feels good should, it would not be unusual to think that person might have depression of you recognize those qualities from people you know.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Personally I think getting into a perspective where you only think of them as characters rather than people is also... not good.

Yes it's edited, but real people are doing the things

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I disagree, survivor contestants are cartoons. Made fact by how enthusiastic they are about shilling for Applebee’s or how star struck they get from Probst saying a catchphrase.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Out of millions of people, it's not surprising to find genuine fans of Probst and Survivor and maybe even Applebee's but that one's a stretch

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

I disagree, survivor contestants are cartoons. Made fact by how enthusiastic they are about shilling for Applebee’s or how star struck they get from Probst saying a catchphrase.

i think the reason emily annoys me a little bit is because she is like, the epitome of this, and whenever jeff asks her a question she rattles off like exactly the kind of answer the producers of survivor would want her to say

i kind of miss the era where most players either didn't know or didn't give a poo poo about survivor before they ended up on the show

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s and she’s a bad player, the only reason she hasn’t got voted out is because everyone has been hyper focused on voting for Bruce since like episode 2. Her plan to fake Bruce out instead of breaking up the alliance is super boneheaded. At this point I’m rooting for Jake or Austin and that’s purely for his commitment to sandwiches.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

That’s and she’s a bad player, the only reason she hasn’t got voted out is because everyone has been hyper focused on voting for Bruce since like episode 2. Her plan to fake Bruce out instead of breaking up the alliance is super boneheaded. At this point I’m rooting for Jake or Austin and that’s purely for his commitment to sandwiches.

She's the least bad player of the clusterfuck of terrible players outside the 4 because she wasn't a Belo and I can see how she might have been convinced that she's actually the bottom of an alliance of 5 instead of just being not in it at all. Emily's play is understandably bad as opposed to the big ?????????????? that is everyone else.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I guess she at least tried something as opposed to everyone else just letting things happen to them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean Bruce did try and flip the numbers. Granted he had to to save himself but he could have just played the idol and let Jake go. That feels like the level the other three are playing at. And it’s especially frustrating considering they all seem to recognize the Reba problem. Emily has for weeks been aware that Drew and Austin might just be using her. But somehow she convinces herself her big move is blindsiding then main target in a way that she probably can’t prove she deserves any credit for. So “huh?”

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I think the real issue is that all Emily could otherwise really do with the pieces available to her is try to convince Jake, Katurah, and Bruce to work together to make something happen, when Jake doesn't trust anyone, Katurah is going to vote Bruce no matter what (even if the show wants us to briefly believe she would vote Julie here or whatever), and Bruce is just going to do something random and isn't willing to use his idol in any strategic way to help the group. And then Emily will be gone at the next vote.

New era Survivor has really been "get to the final tribal and hope everyone who's on the jury likes you enough to give you the win." It's not really about Big Moves because people who make Big Moves only make it through one more vote. Emily has a viable path to get to that final tribal and could maybe beat most of the people still in the game with this jury.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

maybeadracula posted:

Personally I think getting into a perspective where you only think of them as characters rather than people is also... not good.

Yes it's edited, but real people are doing the things

Granted, but that's my point about editing. I actually give shits about exit interviews because the truth is not what we're seeing on screen. I don't think of these people as characters themselves, but all we have for this sake is what we're given.

Anyway, nothing ever came up regarding Emily with autism. That's ugly.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Emily is betting that the Reba 4 are going to break up and whoever does it is going to use her as a number for it, and I think given that she's the only one who any of the Reba 4 might "owe" (for voting with Austin/Drew to get Brando out), she's playing fine. We'll see if she made a bad bet or not, but she's at the table and playing.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Anyway, nothing ever came up regarding Emily with autism. That's ugly.

We obviously shouldn't diagnose strangers, but saying it as a descriptor without any kind of malice (especially from another woman with autism as was apparently the case here) isn't being nasty or mean imo. That implies that having autism is itself "bad", where one can easily have the mindset that is no different than pointing out her gender or someone else's panic attack (also technically a diagnosis) or whatever.

Anyway I'm just saying that I don't think anyone itt was being a bigot or rear end in a top hat

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

curiousCat posted:

Emily is betting that the Reba 4 are going to break up and whoever does it is going to use her as a number for it, and I think given that she's the only one who any of the Reba 4 might "owe" (for voting with Austin/Drew to get Brando out), she's playing fine. We'll see if she made a bad bet or not, but she's at the table and playing.

If you're the bottom of a 5 person alliance. All you gotta do is win the final 5 immunity and know how to make a fire and you're in the finale.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m sure Emily can definitely do both of those.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

It's really hard to mount a flip on an alliance of 4 when your key players keep getting their loving votes taken away by bullshit twists.

We have 3 episodes left, so if the twists cool off (or at least the vote removal stops), I think we'll see some cracks form in Reba that Emily will exploit.

Mat Chat hasn't been wrong yet since the 30s

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

emily has like one chance to live and it involves the alliance splitting in half at the final 5, which it might do because at that point all threats are eliminated and you start thinking "okay, who do I beat at f3" and someone might decide that they're more likely to beat emily than austin or dee and use her as a swing vote to oust them. i don't think this is a path to victory but it is a path to the end and sometimes that's all you've got. it is frustrating, though, because I think she had a path to victory by flipping things over in the last episode and willingly gave it up to cement herself as a useful pawn for the people who were already in a position of power.

let's be real here, f6 and f7 are jake and katurah in either order and there's really no way around it unless one of them wins immunity twice in a row. which they won't, because the 4 also contains the players who are the most athletic and the best at puzzles. f5 is the only real vote left.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Meanwhile on UK Survivor we had back to back blindsides because people want to win the god drat game and know they need to do poo poo to make that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
It'd be a breath of fresh air if they just had a straight survivor season with just idols and maybe the full amount of days again.