Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blood Boils posted:

Guy Suckass is my star wars name, actually

It’s taken. He’s a bounty hunter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

No Mods No Masters posted:

Zori bliss and babu frik should have been combined into one character, named babu frik

Now I'm picturing Poe making the sexy eyes at Babu Frik, and that's definitely a better movie.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Blood Boils posted:

Guy Suckass is my star wars name, actually

CelticPredator posted:

It’s taken. He’s a booty hunter

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Zoro Bliss could have almost worked as this Lando type figure where she runs Snowtown and Poe isn't quite sure where he stands with her because of their complicated past but after an initial betrayal she does the right thing

But like everything else in EpIX it's one breakneck scene sandwiched between a hundred others as the heroes race from plot point to plot point so there's never really time to establish the mood or sense of place it would take to pull that off

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wolfsheim posted:

Zoro Bliss could have almost worked as this Lando type figure where she runs Snowtown and Poe isn't quite sure where he stands with her because of their complicated past but after an initial betrayal she does the right thing

But like everything else in EpIX it's one breakneck scene sandwiched between a hundred others as the heroes race from plot point to plot point so there's never really time to establish the mood or sense of place it would take to pull that off

I was actually thinking the same thing, she’s almost nearly a Lando analogue but without the movie giving the character time to breathe she’s a little more “looks cool, with some character additives” as opposed to Lando’s “just is cool”.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Even in a theoretical non hosed up third film, the third film is also just not really the time to be introducing that sort of character. I find it another small star wars 8 problem that it doesn't really set up new characters besides rose.

I guess also space benicio, if anyone has any ideas at all for where you could go with space benicio

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Even in a theoretical non hosed up third film, the third film is also just not really the time to be introducing that sort of character. I find it another small star wars 8 problem that it doesn't really set up new characters besides rose.

I guess also space benicio, if anyone has any ideas at all for where you could go with space benicio

bring space benicio back to hack the first final order death fleet

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Zori take off the hemet

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hmmmm a smug traitor who looks great in a cape? I have no idea what you could possibly do with that kind of guy!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Eric Idle, Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford, circa 1979 during the production of TESB.

Carrie Fisher (who took this photograph) had rented Idle’s house while he was away filming The Life of Brian. The Rolling Stones were also recording an album two blocks away from Idle’s house at the time.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lucas should have added an orgy scene to ROTJ like in Matrix Revolution.

Also they should make Poe as a vessel for Palpatine's soul. Poelpatine.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Daisy Ridley eager to do new SW movies, as opposed to every other actor in the entire sequel trilogy.

Potential reasons:

1) A genuine interest in developing the character.
2) Insider information that reveals upcoming movies are spectacular.
3) Her last movie grossed 1 million dollars total.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Daisy Ridley is cool and without JJ Rey can be a little cooler. Plus she’ll be removed from skywalkers and palpatines so she can just be herself

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
She's the only one whose character didn't get completely humiliated nor killed off, too.

CelticPredator posted:

Daisy Ridley is cool and without JJ Rey can be a little cooler. Plus she’ll be removed from skywalkers and palpatines so she can just be herself

Might be a good time for the writers to actually figure out what she even is removed from the skywalkers and palpatines.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

A smellpatine

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Star wars Rebels and Clone Wars have too drat dull animation and direction for me to "catch up" on what all this Ashoka and Mandalorian stuff is about
It just so plain and the choreography is dire for action
Edit:yeah I know kids show. I don't like that excuse plenty of kids shows have career animators kicking rear end

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 2, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

Kathleen Kennedy as the third Rey film begins production "It HAS to be Luke Skywalker at the end"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

Kathleen Kennedy as the third Rey film begins production "It HAS to be Luke Skywalker at the end"

That's Samurai Master Lucas Godwalker, from Star War The Eighth Gathers: The Final Hopeless Situation

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Which is what exactly lol

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Her whole thing in the ST is “she is nobody? no, she is a palpatine! but in the end she becomes skywalker!”

I don’t think disney wants to dissociate her from that and if they did, what would she even be

edit: I do like Daisy and I think she did a great job, but Rey is kinda of a wasted character

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Upsidads posted:

Star wars Rebels and Clone Wars have too drat dull animation and direction for me to "catch up" on what all this Ashoka and Mandalorian stuff is about
It just so plain and the choreography is dire for action
Edit:yeah I know kids show. I don't like that excuse plenty of kids shows have career animators kicking rear end

There are a few bits where they mocapped the choreography and it looks pretty impressive.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Just have old Rey back as cynical and disillusioned with the Jedi Order, so that a new spunky apprentice can get her to have faith in the Star Wars franchise the Jedi Order again. It's all cyclical, you know?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

YaketySass posted:

Just have old Rey back as cynical and disillusioned with the Jedi Order, so that a new spunky apprentice can get her to have faith in the Star Wars franchise the Jedi Order again. It's all cyclical, you know?

lol, not going to happen. Rey happens to be perfect.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There are a few bits where they mocapped the choreography and it looks pretty impressive.

When? I just watched Kanan and Sabine spar and it's so simple

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Upsidads posted:

When? I just watched Kanan and Sabine spar and it's so simple

TCW Season 7; Maul vs Ahsoka's duel was mocapped

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah I don't know if you can really take as a given rey would have an arc in this next film, she's really quite static and the broke rear end writing has long not operated on the level of characters having arcs.

I feel like the path of least resistance/most creative bankruptcy for her would surely be "still haunted by sheev, overcomes as usual due to innate righteousness"

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

There's room to explore Rey and who she is in the wake of everything. The entire sequel trilogy followed her as she desperately sought for family and who she was and what that meant, be it literal blood relationships or her seeking the approval of Han, Leia, or Luke or anyone else who could vaguely have a parent relationship to her.

Have her focus on... other things. What does she want, besides to find who she is? Because besides that one goal, she was just kinda an amorphous blob of 'I wanna do good'.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rey starts by sitting in a pile of sand with 0 aspirations to do anything. She's Luke and Leia combined if you took everything away that made either of them interesting. At the end she's content to go back and sit in sand on a different planet. What an amazing character. I'm sure her trilogy will be thrilling.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
She's Jedi Miles Morales. Her entire character is about dealing with being the narrative successor of a more compelling protagonist.

In general it feels like Disney's current comfort zone wrt a number of its female (and possibly male, I don't really keep up) protagonists is toward very basic self affirmation. Obviously "believe in yourself" is a classic story dynamic, but they sometimes feel like they go further into "the only real problem you have is that people don't realize you're already awesome". I remember reading about how the Mulan remake gives her superpowers and people lamenting how much less interesting that made her, and thinking "oh, they turned her into Rey".

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

*Extremely possessed by sheev* Well, we finally took care of sheev, for sure this time. We'll never have to worry about sheev again

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

banned from Starbucks posted:

Rey starts by sitting in a pile of sand with 0 aspirations to do anything.

I mean that's not the case at all? She starts off in a pile of sand desperately trying to survive, with an explicit goal of finding her family who abandoned her there one day. She just has no route towards that goal because she is in an abusive system meant to keep her from ever escaping, until Finn appears and things get rolling.

Her aspirations are basic as hell, but they exist. They are 'get off this hellhole of sand and find out who my family is'. This is, as I stated, the only personality trait she gets in the entire trilogy, besides vague 'be good'.

Edit: Even her training to be a jedi and wanting to learn about the force ultimately stems from her wanting to learn about family and Belong somewhere.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 2, 2023

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

KittyEmpress posted:

Her aspirations are basic as hell, but they exist. They are 'get off this hellhole of sand and find out who my family is'.

I dunno if it's true, I mean to my memory in star wars 7 she is strongly tempted on multiple occasions after the adventure is underway to go back to jakku to continue to wait. I would say she is basically just inherent good + parent issues + maybe wanting to kiss kylo's weird face, her continuing ability to survive seems to trouble her not particularly

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 2, 2023

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah exactly. Halfway through TFA when Han basically gives her access to a ship she's like nah I'm about done with these star wars I'm gonna go sit on sand and wait some more.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Which is what exactly lol

Idk could be anything. That’s what a good writer could do.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Sure, but this is Star Wars we’re talking about.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There's one good writer in the shop, and by all appearances he is peacing out with andor 2. The worst writer in the shop has just been promoted to head of creative.

Worth remembering that the rey movie is the one where damon lindelof was attempting to write a script but died instantly

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He kept trying to add more things to her backstory and 10 extra mystery boxes

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Here’s a mystery box, how do I grow up to be extremely attractive while living on a harsh desert world constantly exposed to a burning sun while day to day struggling to find industrial waste to exchange for garbage food and water?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Extra row of tits posted:

Here’s a mystery box, how do I grow up to be extremely attractive while living on a harsh desert world constantly exposed to a burning sun while day to day struggling to find industrial waste to exchange for garbage food and water?
It helps if your grandpa owns a death star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Extra row of tits posted:

Magic bread bro