Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Baronjutter posted:

Oh it wasn't salt! It was a shot glass they kept next to the sink full of some caustic gritty pot and pan cleaner chemical. He was off his face drunk, there were shots vaguely nearby, so he just grabbed and slammed it.

So something like this happened?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPjL9QbhXf4
Audio is advised!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I just have a tofurkey field roast with classic sides and end up dissatisfied

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Guyver posted:

Dry brine

Dunno about the rest of you, but I fuckin' love this term. It speaks so much about the dire state culinary practices that people have had to come up with fancy new names for "salt", to convince laymen to season their loving food. It is, of course, a yank term.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You salt all your food for twelve hours?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Borscht posted:

You get succulent and tender breasts and thighs that don’t make you expel fiery bodily fluids from your mouth and anus the morning after.

Sounds like dating tips for cowards.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Guyver posted:

You salt all your food for twelve hours?

24 this year :smuggo:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Joe Disney is just too SCARED to show DICK AND BALLS

e: wrong app

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I was told to crosspost this from the UK thread, so here goes.

(The context was people talking about how cold it was this morning and how cars needed a good defrosting before leaving the house.)

I started my car a good five minutes before I was going to leave the house to defrost it.
The wife took her car to drop the baby to childcare.

I go out to drive off, only to discover that my car automatically locked itself and thus I was locked out of the car. (I thought the car only auto locked when it was moving. Very frustrating. )

I wait for the wife to come home so I can use her spare key to open my car. Discover that the clicker won't work on a locked car with the engine running.

I then had to look for the keyhole on the car. But there is no visible one.

5 minutes of searching Google I find that with Kia Sportages, you can use the car key to pry off a part of the door handle to get access to the key hole and manually unlock the car.

It's not a huge issue, but when you are trying to leave the house in the freezing cold, it's very frustrating.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Happy one day anniversary of Kissinger's death to those who celebrate.

He is still dead, right? I’ll need to do a beer run if he dies again.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

The Question IRL posted:

I go out to drive off, only to discover that my car automatically locked itself and thus I was locked out of the car. (I thought the car only auto locked when it was moving. Very frustrating. )

I've always been paranoid about this. I got in the habit of not clicking the door shut if I was warming it up or scraping the windshield, and now with our new vehicle, even though we have a spare key inside the house, AND the remote start means I still have the key in my hand, AND the vehicle has a pin code to open it without the physical key... I still won't click the door shut while scraping the windshield.

Our last vehicle had a visible keyhole on the driver's door..... but nowhere else. The battery died on it (the battery was defective, so it would seem happy and fine and as soon as you tried to draw power from it the needle would drop to 0) and I was able to get into the driver's side door.... but all the locks were power locks so I couldn't open them from the button.

I was able to open the passenger doors with the handles... but the jumper cables were in the back. Under a panel in the floor. Which opened toward the back door because why would you ever access that from anywhere but through the back hatch door? And the back hatch would not open from the outside, and couldn't be unlocked from the inside (as far as I could tell... there must have been a lever somewhere but it was tucked under a panel or something because it was invisible). I ended up having to climb into the back and wedge myself against the roof of the goddamn car to lift the panel to drag the jumper cables out to get the drat car moving.

Seriously, why can't I have a manual option for all the electric bits? Even a window crank tucked somewhere in case I want to roll it down without turning the drat thing on. gently caress modern design. :cloud:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Icon Of Sin posted:

He is still dead, right? I’ll need to do a beer run if he dies again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUlj48Rvp1c

Just as applicable.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Serephina posted:

Dunno about the rest of you, but I fuckin' love this term. It speaks so much about the dire state culinary practices that people have had to come up with fancy new names for "salt", to convince laymen to season their loving food. It is, of course, a yank term.

You think that covering a piece of poultry in a ton of salt for hours is the same as seasoning it?

Have you ever cooked a thing?

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

While "dry brining" is kind of a dumb term, it's definitely not the same thing as simply salting your food. Is this misconception a Brit thing?

e: And don't tell me to look into my heart, because it is cold, dead, and as flavorless as meat boiled in a Mildenhall kitchen.

Mushika has a new favorite as of 16:38 on Dec 1, 2023

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Dry brining rocks and I won't hear otherwise.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Trabant posted:

You think that covering a piece of poultry in a ton of salt for hours is the same as seasoning it?

Have you ever cooked a thing?

Edit: I, an idiot, stand corrected; apparently a dry brine is a thing and apparently different than a dry rub although it seems dumb to use the term "brine" for something that isn't liquid.

Schadenfreude!

Blitter has a new favorite as of 17:32 on Dec 1, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Dry brining rocks and I won't hear otherwise.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dry brining rocks sounds pretty pointless as you can't even eat them.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The term dry brine dates back to at least 1910 and has been used in the meat curing industry since. It only became popular as a culinary term in the last twenty years.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Mushika posted:

While "dry brining" is kind of a dumb term, it's definitely not the same thing as simply salting your food. Is this misconception a Brit thing?

e: And don't tell me to look into my heart, because it is cold, dead, and as flavorless as meat boiled in a Mildenhall kitchen.

Could be, but it also might be the goon "I've made up my mind about a thing I don't know anything about" attitude

edited to remove a since-revised statement!

Trabant has a new favorite as of 17:33 on Dec 1, 2023

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Blitter posted:

The schadenfreude is on the rest of the world for having to accommodate these self important asshats, lol.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Blitter posted:

Edit: I, an idiot, stand corrected; apparently a dry brine is a thing and apparently different than a dry rub although it seems dumb to use the term "brine" for something that isn't liquid.

Schadenfreude!

It's called dry brining because it's named for an outcome rather than a process. If you want to describe the method I guess you could call it partial curing or something along those lines but the end product is more like brined meat than it is cured meat (also more like brined meat than dry rubbed meat.)

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Blitter posted:

Schadenfreude!

The liquid is drawn from the turkey's cells in osmotic motion

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Two options: spatchcock, or don't eat a giant drat bird. To hell with tradition.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

What did you say about my cock

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Dry brine before you decide to climb thru a 1ft pipe
https://i.imgur.com/YWZYUTf.mp4

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

What is going on there

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://i.imgur.com/1L3mD4R.mp4

Nobody Interesting posted:

What is going on there

Dude Shawshank'd himself

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Fishstick posted:

Cant nap there mate

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Nobody Interesting posted:

What is going on there

russia.mp4

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Daily Star has the full story but they're not exactly the most reliable source and I couldn't find the story in a legitimate news outlet

E: the Daily Mail had a completely different version of the story and they link back to an article that looks pretty legit from RTnews

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 18:47 on Dec 1, 2023

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

La di da Mr Frenchman! My only joy now is the FM radio, because the airbags no longer work and shopping trolleys have ruined my panels!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUW2eIdD55w

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Everyone seems mildly surprised to find that guy in there, particularly the guy that was in there.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Everyone seems mildly surprised to find that guy in there, particularly the guy that was in there.

Sometimes you end up in a pipe :shrug:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Daily Star has the full story but they're not exactly the most reliable source and I couldn't find the story in a legitimate news outlet

E: the Daily Mail had a completely different version of the story and they link back to an article that looks pretty legit from RTnews

The story is different but in both stories, the guy was drunk and has no idea how he ended up in the situation

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Fishstick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klwrT8rMu5c

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Drunk russian jammed in a pipe and everyone is all "What happened?". We know what happened.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Here's how I did my turkey.

I did a regular brine. I used pickling salt because it dissolves better in any temp water than other salts and has less precipitation as a result. Also in the brine was brown sugar, apple juice, fresh rosemary, fresh bay leaves, a bunch of minced garlic, some orange peels, a squeezed orange, and a few other spices and things. We put in the mix and topped it with water. Had it brining for around 24 hours before we pulled it out, dried it, and injected it with a cajun butter mix my lady whipped up. Fried it at 325 until the deepest meat was at temp. It was by far the best turkey I've ever cooked and the skin was to die for. My gf and her brother basically picked the carcass clean the next day while we were sorting out leftovers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shad on us for being reminded you used to be able to buy a brand new truck for about $6,500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Wet brine in just saltwater (nothing else added will penetrate anyway so gently caress it). De-bone the bird (and keep said bird in one piece) and use them bones for stock/gravy/stuffing. Put your now flat turkey on a tray in the fridge with just the skin exposed, so the skin dries out (Around 24 hours will do, this makes for extra crispy skin). Now herb-butter/oil that skin and cook the bird at 400-ish until it's internal temp is 175 (It's brined, so you need to burn off more water from your already waterlogged bird).

The only downside is you don't have a "traditional" looking bird, you just have a big 'ol pile of meat. Also the three days of prep time I guess.