Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

It does if they got rid of Stanton

The real issue is he doesn't seem to have any interest in playing in New York, on either team, not that they don't want him or it doesn't make sense for him

Even if they got rid of Stanton they need Judge to be able to DH as he gets older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

No one would take that Stanton contract

There is a reason that the Marlins backloaded it at the time (other than them knowing they would not be the ones paying it)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

There is a reason that the Marlins backloaded it at the time (other than them knowing they would not be the ones paying it)

I think someone would take it if the Yankees paid like 60% and included a prospect.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

mcmagic posted:

Even if they got rid of Stanton they need Judge to be able to DH as he gets older.

The obvious answer is to offer him $100MM/5 so Judge has a soft landing at the end of it.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Well Played Mauer posted:

The obvious answer is to offer him $100MM/5 so Judge has a soft landing at the end of it.

Do you think Shohei Ohtani is going to get a 20mm AAV

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I'm just sick of the last 3+ years of the national baseball media soiling themselves over how good this guy is and how special and what a "unicorn..." Then the last year has been nonstop, "Will he be traded? If he goes to FA will he resign with the Angels? What about a mystery team? He probably wants to stay on the West coast...how does that affect his market?" Then he blows out his arm and won't even pitch for a year+ but still wants $50 million or more per year and carte blanche to determine his own schedule and routine and a gurantee that he can pitch again... Suffice it to say I'm not interested in the nonsense. Happy the Yankees don't seem to be making serious overtures in his direction.

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Get back to me when the guy wins a team award. If he and Mike Trout were that good, those two and 24 jabronies should have been able to back into a number 6 seed for the playoffs at least once.
Keep going I’m so close

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

lol i'm sure he'd take that

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I think someone would take it if the Yankees paid like 60% and included a prospect.
Going to have to be one hell of a prospect to take on $118 million and a guy who is just going to spend less and less time on the field

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

They just need to convince enough Aggie boosters that he's the key to their national championship...

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Bregor posted:

Sparky Anderson?

Sparky only played one year in the majors.

Imasalmon posted:

Smoltz? Nope, forgot about his brief stints in his last season.

Right, he pitched like 50 innings with the Cardinals and Red Sox to demonstrate to everyone's satisfaction that he was finished. But also he played his first 2+ seasons for Chuck Tanner and Russ Nixon before Cox took over as manager.

DiMaggio maybe? I think he was exclusively under Stengel.

Nope, Joe McCarthy was his manager the majority of his career actually.

waffy posted:

Jim Palmer?

Good guess, but Hank Bauer was his manager his first 3 years, and Joe Altobelli his last 2.

I also got a PM which I hope the person doesn't mind I quote without attribution:

quote:

I just lurk the thread now but my guess for longest time with only one manager: Mel Ott. Let me know if I’m right?

Inspired, but Ott's career was just too drat long. He played for McGraw and Terry, and managed himself his last 6 years.

GPTribefan posted:

Is it Don Drysdale? I think he was with Alston from start to finish

:siren:WE HAVE A WINNER!:siren: Don Drysdale played 14 seasons (1956 to 1969), all of them for Walter Alston. Mike Scioscia played 13 seasons (1980 to 1992), all of them for Tommy Lasorda. Sandy Koufax also played his entire 12 season career (1955 to 1966) for Alston, and there may be others at 12. Kirby Puckett actually played for Billy Gardner the first season of his 12 year career, Tom Kelly the rest.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Just need to point out that Christy Matthewson is one weird single start with the Reds (LOL - a complete game 8 run WIN) from being the answer with 17 seasons under John McGraw.

Edit : VVVV - well poo poo. I guess I forgot McGraw start date there.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 1, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Not quite! Mathewson started with the Giants in 1900. John McGraw didn't get there until 1902.

If that weren't true you could totally put Mathewson in there with an asterisk IMO, since Mathewson was his own manager for that one start.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Still funny/sad that the answer isn't some player under Connie Mack considering the lack of free agency and him being the owner/manager. But whoops - every few years it was time to sell everyone off.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tony Phillips posted:

Still funny/sad that the answer isn't some player under Connie Mack considering the lack of free agency and him being the owner/manager. But whoops - every few years it was time to sell everyone off.
Yeah they had three great cores under him in the early 1900s, mid 1910s and then again in the late 1920s, but between then it’s kind of rough

Between 1915-1921 they lost more than 100 games 5/7 years

Also after 1932 they have years of losing records

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's also just that it's very common for star players to go to another team for the last couple years of their career.

For instance, Gettysburg Eddie Plank played 14 seasons for Mack... then jumped to the Federal League, where at age 39 he was the best pitcher in the FL in its second and final season, then pitched a couple years for the Browns before finding his life's calling as a Gettysburg battlefield guide.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Giancarlo can come hit bombs in GABP in exchange for Jonathan India if the Yankees are paying 2/3 of his salary in imaginationland.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Chief McHeath posted:

Giancarlo can come hit bombs in GABP in exchange for Jonathan India if the Yankees are paying 2/3 of his salary in imaginationland.

He'd have to accept the trade and he's not going to a bad team.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

FlamingLiberal posted:

So I just looked at the ‘best’ Angels 1st round picks since Trout, and the two that are basically identical in terms of BWAR are Randal Grichuk and CJ Cron at about 12 BWAR

Grichuk didn't even play a game for the Angels until 2023. Over 1/4 of his career bWAR is from his rookie season in St. Louis.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's cute how Stanton is talked about like he's a commodity with any value at all, and definitely not a 34 year old DH who hasn't been healthy in 5 years and put up an 87 OPS+ last year

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’d trade Turner for him

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Artix posted:

O's supposedly kicking the tires on Hader, Chapman, Kimbrel, and Hicks. Hader I'll believe when I see it and not a second before, and Chapman can gently caress off but Hicks seems like that might be a good buy? Even for a team that's going to spend no money because John Angelos is a piece of poo poo, 3-4 years at 8-10 mil should be very affordable and would help close that hole at the back of the bullpen right now.

Hicks is the last reliever I would want to sign to a multi year contract. Velocity guy with an injury history and bouts of inconsistency? Cardinals fans can put me in my place but I feel like I have seen enough of him to where I hope a team I don’t like gives him a fat contract.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Grichuk didn't even play a game for the Angels until 2023. Over 1/4 of his career bWAR is from his rookie season in St. Louis.

More to the point, I'm pretty sure 2/3 of it came against the Cubs specifically.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hand Row posted:

Hicks is the last reliever I would want to sign to a multi year contract. Velocity guy with an injury history and bouts of inconsistency? Cardinals fans can put me in my place but I feel like I have seen enough of him to where I hope a team I don’t like gives him a fat contract.
A couple of years ago I watched him do a rehab start in a AAA game in Jacksonville and it was like watching Nuke LaLoosh. He didn’t make it out of the first inning

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Shoulda worn the lingerie

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sparky only played one year in the majors.

Oh sorry I meant he was the manager. But I was still wrong!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

euphronius posted:

I’d trade Turner for him

Your commitment to the bit is truly impressive

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Bregor posted:

It is pretty remarkable that Trammell and Whitaker both played for Sparky for 16 (!!) years

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Bregor posted:

If Sparky had gone from the Reds to the Tigers by late 1977 instead of mid 1979 - He would have had Lou Whittaker's entire career. And all of Trammell had he stayed through 1996.

He didn't, but he woulda.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

euphronius posted:

I’d trade Turner for him

yes please do that

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

My official statement:

The Cubs are an acceptable place for Shohei. The Blue Jays are slightly less acceptable and also a weird place for him, but still overall acceptable. I will be able to buy jerseys without feeling bad.

No other teams will be considered acceptable. This list is complete.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

mdemone posted:

My official statement:

The Cubs are an acceptable place for Shohei. The Blue Jays are slightly less acceptable and also a weird place for him, but still overall acceptable. I will be able to buy jerseys without feeling bad.

The Cubs are the ONLY acceptable place

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

mdemone posted:

My official statement:

You forgot the Mariners

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Shoehei ohtani…welcome to at louis

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That Mariners ownership is not paying what Shohei is going to want

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I have found the shittiest Ohtani take (baseball writer category)

https://twitter.com/Travis_Sawchik/status/1730634266743025795

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bregor posted:

Your commitment to the bit is truly impressive

Way less money for Stanton over time

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

bawfuls posted:

I have found the shittiest Ohtani take (baseball writer category)

https://twitter.com/Travis_Sawchik/status/1730634266743025795
So dumb

Also Jeff Passan is reporting what had been rumored before, and that the Rangers, Mets, and Red Sox are out of the Shohei Sweepstakes

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

We interrupt Ohtani Cubsposting to inform the Twins fans that Cory Provus is the new TV PbP announcer for the aforementioned Twins baseball club.

Good. Get him the gently caress away from Dan Gladden and into the booth with Morneau or Perkins or literally anyone else.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Shohei won't you please set your own selfishness aside and do what is good for Major League Baseball and play for the only team that truly matters, the New York Yankees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

rickiep00h posted:

We interrupt Ohtani Cubsposting to inform the Twins fans that Cory Provus is the new TV PbP announcer for the aforementioned Twins baseball club.

Good. Get him the gently caress away from Dan Gladden and into the booth with Morneau or Perkins or literally anyone else.

It's funny how certain things stick in your head. I see the name "Cory Provus" and I only hear it in my head with Pat Hughes saying it.