Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

well why not posted:

The bear jew would be big into the IDF so it's impossible to say if things are good or bad

Israel treats actual Holocaust survivors like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Air Skwirl posted:

I do kinda wish we lived in the alternate universe where displaced European Jews were relocated to Sitka, Alaska instead of Palestine.

at the end of the book they launch a plan to invade palestine anyway spoiler for the yiddish policemen's union

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Well it just went from probably never read to absolutely never will read

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gaius Marius posted:

Well it just went from probably never read to absolutely never will read

it's not portrayed as a good thing it's a conspiracy of right wing religious american politicians and jewish religious extremists

anyway the book is pretty good, not incredible but it has its charms

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DeimosRising posted:

at the end of the book they launch a plan to invade palestine anyway spoiler for the yiddish policemen's union

Still better than the current situation. Also that was a work of fiction based an an actual real plan, we don't know what would have happened in the real world if it had happened.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 1, 2023

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Ring Road which is 78 minutes of a car's POV driving an entire ring around Iceland's main highway played in timelapse so the car feels like it's going roughly the speed of sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56wnACmHbyA

It's a movie that's literally nothing but a road.

What the gently caress why nobody told me about this!!!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

Duel is the second most literal road movie I've ever seen.

You should watch two lane blacktop

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What the gently caress why nobody told me about this!!!

It was not widely available until very recently.

The director also did an adaptation of the Saga of Burnt Njál, the most culturally significant of the Icelandic Sagas revolving around an ever more violent vendetta culminating in most of the main characters being burned alive within their homestead.

The first screening was advertised heavily and a lot of people showed up to see how the hell he had handled this epic cornerstone of Icelandic medieval literature when Icelandic filmmaking was in its infancy.

It was real-time footage of a book being set on fire and burning to a crisp.

Later he was nominated for an Academy Award for a film about old people escaping their retirement home.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

FreudianSlippers posted:

It was not widely available until very recently.

The director also did an adaptation of the Saga of Burnt Njál, the most culturally significant of the Icelandic Sagas revolving around an ever more violent vendetta culminating in most of the main characters being burned alive within their homestead.

The first screening was advertised heavily and a lot of people showed up to see how the hell he had handled this epic cornerstone of Icelandic medieval literature when Icelandic filmmaking was in its infancy.

It was real-time footage of a book being set on fire and burning to a crisp.

Later he was nominated for an Academy Award for a film about old people escaping their retirement home.

Man iceland kicks rear end. Gonna move to Reykjavik. Won't even need one of those apps that warn you if you're about to do incest because I'll be new in town

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Ring Road which is 78 minutes of a car's POV driving an entire ring around Iceland's main highway played in timelapse so the car feels like it's going roughly the speed of sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56wnACmHbyA

It's a movie that's literally nothing but a road.

I swear I've seen this used as clips or b-roll somewhere.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Peccadillo posted:

Man iceland kicks rear end. Gonna move to Reykjavik. Won't even need one of those apps that warn you if you're about to do incest because I'll be new in town

Reykjavik is cool and nice but let's be real it's a collection of shipping containers masquerading as a city. Come see our local attractions like...this hotdog cart which is OK.

Went to a music festival in the old NATO base near Keflavik and that felt as much like a real place

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
What’s the general mood on Ocean’s Twelve these days? If there even is one. I feel like it was pretty maligned when it came out, but I rewatched it the other day and it’s solid! It’s quite good! It’s a little smug with the injokes, and kind of a mess towards the end (it fizzles out a bit instead of building to the “punchline” it needs to tie the whole thing together), but it’s got very charismatic movie stars doing movie star stuff, and soderbergh giving it plenty of style and panache.

It seems to me that the appeal of an Oceans movie is pretty much the same as what everyone likes about the Avengers movies: it’s movie stars, baby, being witty and stylish. I wish we could go back to this kind of thing in the mainstream and ditch the CG battles, sky beams, etc.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I actually just rewatched it a few months ago. The end does fizzle out, you're right. Matt Damon's mom getting the gang out of the pickle feels like a cheat, the meta Julia Roberts/Bruce Willis stuff in the middle is still terribly painful to watch, and the movie mostly feels like a script for another heist movie that they shoehorned Ocean and the other characters into. But for all that it's still more memorable than Oceans 13 or Oceans 8.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
Ocean’s Thirteen definitely makes it look better by comparison. That movie is sooooo boooooring

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lynch loves roads. Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Straight Story

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Lobster Henry posted:

What’s the general mood on Ocean’s Twelve these days? If there even is one. I feel like it was pretty maligned when it came out, but I rewatched it the other day and it’s solid! It’s quite good! It’s a little smug with the injokes, and kind of a mess towards the end (it fizzles out a bit instead of building to the “punchline” it needs to tie the whole thing together), but it’s got very charismatic movie stars doing movie star stuff, and soderbergh giving it plenty of style and panache.

It seems to me that the appeal of an Oceans movie is pretty much the same as what everyone likes about the Avengers movies: it’s movie stars, baby, being witty and stylish. I wish we could go back to this kind of thing in the mainstream and ditch the CG battles, sky beams, etc.

i remember finding it a lot funnier than Ocean's Eleven (I actually get a kick out of the Julia Roberts stuff, it's pretty dumb but that's what makes it work for me) and it's got more interesting dynamics and plots in it, but it's pretty confusing and not as cohesive as the first movie

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I hadn’t been to a movie theater in a while, I went today, got a medium Icee. 9 bucks. Nine dollars for a medium Icee. Thanks, Biden

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lol my fridge just died.

Guess this is the season of buying brand new appliances.

We can swing it but it's still a bit of a bite.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
It's Dec 1, which means it's apparently best-of-the-year list season for critics:
NY Times (Manohla Dargis & Alissa Wilkinson): https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/01/movies/best-movies-2023.html?unlocked_article_code=1.Ck0.v-PA.HDgrThv3f8QP&hpgrp=ar-abar&smid=url-share (gift link)
New Yorker (Richard Brody): https://www.newyorker.com/culture/2023-in-review/the-best-movies-of-2023
Vanity Fair (Richard Lawson): https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/04/best-movies-2023 featuring a surprise at #20
Cahiers du Cinema: https://twitter.com/cahierscinema/status/1730527509039530085

Happy to see Showing Up on many of these. Really hoping Do Not Expect Too Much From the End of The World shows up in US arthouse theaters at some point.

smug n stuff fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 1, 2023

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

yeah May December ruled

Segue
May 23, 2007

I'm very happy to see Erice's Close Your Eyes (Fermer les yeux) on that list. It's his first movie in four decades, and while the framing is a tad clumsy it's an incredibly human movie that I adored seeing it at TIFF.

I hope it gets a wide-ish release since the guy definitely deserves some plaudits beyond Spirit of the Beehive.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

For some reason I thought Fabelmens premiered at Cannes last year instead of Toronto. Wild to see it on a list

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Gaius Marius posted:

For some reason I thought Fabelmens premiered at Cannes last year instead of Toronto. Wild to see it on a list

Apparently the French loved it when it came out there earlier this year - France is by far its highest-grossing international market, and apparently french critics gave mostly rave review (https://archive.is/utGgU)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Watching Daisies. So this is one of those weird movies.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Watching Galaxy Quest again. Man what the hell is it with this movie, why is it so perfect.

Who the hell is Dean Parisot and why has he not directed anything else of any note or quality. This thing is just bullseye after bullseye. Every scene, every shot, every visual joke, every physical reaction, every "we've all been there" type gag. The way the troupe just inhabits their characters and their jaded worldweariness for the first half-hour and Tim Allen's giddy schoolboy grin as he shows them around. There's a few technical nitpicks but you just don't feel like even pointing them out because the movie dares you to care. I don't know if I've ever seen a better executed ending either

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Data Graham posted:

Watching Galaxy Quest again. Man what the hell is it with this movie, why is it so perfect.

Who the hell is Dean Parisot and why has he not directed anything else of any note or quality. This thing is just bullseye after bullseye. Every scene, every shot, every visual joke, every physical reaction, every "we've all been there" type gag. The way the troupe just inhabits their characters and their jaded worldweariness for the first half-hour and Tim Allen's giddy schoolboy grin as he shows them around. There's a few technical nitpicks but you just don't feel like even pointing them out because the movie dares you to care. I don't know if I've ever seen a better executed ending either

It looks like he did a lot of tv work, for some really good tv shows as well.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
There's a pretty good documentary on Galaxy Quest called Never Surrender.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Daisies owns, I really need to watch more Czech new wave

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Data Graham posted:

It's a love letter movie, and you can tell the people who wrote it lived it. Who hasn't grown up on a childhood TV show and dreamed that the magic onscreen was real?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I had a knee jerk reaction to Daisies that, on reflection, I'm not sure is fair, but I do think will really annoy Daisies fans.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Jenny Agutter posted:

Daisies owns, I really need to watch more Czech new wave

A Report on the Party and the Guests is excellent.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ccubed posted:

There's a pretty good documentary on Galaxy Quest called Never Surrender.

Apparently there's some really sweet content in Rickman's diary about the evolution of his relationship with Tim Allen on the set of that.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

A Report on the Party and the Guests is excellent.

I’ll add them to the list, got Loves of a Blonde (1965) and Fireman’s Ball (1967) queued up on the Plex

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

It's a good film in execution but I find the message trite.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

May December is quite good. Natalie Portman is always a better actress than I give her credit for. Acting well enough to portray the act of being competent is not a talent most have, managing to make me dislike her more than anyone else in the film that has a woman who fucks a 13 year old is also quite the feat

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Eason the Fifth posted:

I actually just rewatched it a few months ago. The end does fizzle out, you're right. Matt Damon's mom getting the gang out of the pickle feels like a cheat, the meta Julia Roberts/Bruce Willis stuff in the middle is still terribly painful to watch, and the movie mostly feels like a script for another heist movie that they shoehorned Ocean and the other characters into. But for all that it's still more memorable than Oceans 13 or Oceans 8.

This is because it literally was. George Nolfi wrote a spec script titled Honor Among Thieves, about an American thief and a European thief who competed throughout the movie to see who could pull off the biggest heist.

Warner Bros. bought the script and bolted the Ocean's characters into it.

Anyway, the movie falls apart with the ending being Danny going, "Yahtzee, I won before we even started because I talked to LeMarc and he hates you so he gave me the egg."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Everytime I see someone defend the Julia Roberts bit I feel like I'm reading the scrawlings of a deranged individual

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gaius Marius posted:

Everytime I see someone defend the Julia Roberts bit I feel like I'm reading the scrawlings of a deranged individual

As I recall, that part was added because Julia Roberts was visibly pregnant during filming and they needed a way to write around it because she was the highest-paid member of the cast behind Clooney so they couldn't just write her out of the movie.

And so they chose the clumsiest, most moronic way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Especially given its inception and production history. Listen to the Best Movies Never Made podcast episode on Captain Stardust if you wanna see how a decent script with a half-baked premise can get taken away from its original writer and actually get vastly improved. The original was a riff on Flash Gordon and didn't really know what to do with it. All the Star Trek/browbeaten actor strife was completely absent in the original, and it's fully the heart of the final movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It will always be one of my favorite Alan Rickman films.