Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9euvJYg3Aqc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MHA just takes place in the Boss Baby universs

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I'm getting impatient, when am I going to get to see Bakugo nuke a baby?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y93-6ihqZTo

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Punch the baby

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuXCb3UAv8Y

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That was pretty loving rad. This series always rules when it touches on society failing people and nothing beats a sex worker with super powers who can only assume it's a disease she can't treat while the first recorded super power is some baby that glows.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1019297
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-407/chapter/40948?action=read

MorningMoon posted:

That was pretty loving rad. This series always rules when it touches on society failing people and nothing beats a sex worker with super powers who can only assume it's a disease she can't treat while the first recorded super power is some baby that glows.

Eh... sex worker mother as shorthand for "this guys life was lovely before they were even born" might have been novel in 1986 in Watchmen, but it's so overdone at this point, even with that extra superpower texture.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
neat chapter, tho it feels kinda pointless for where we are in the story, unless we just gotta be for realsies sure that it’s okay when bakugo drops a hydrogen bomb on this glowing baby

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Who's narrating this, anyway? Future Deku?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Horikoshi pondering the eternal question: would you kill Baby Hitler?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

oh jay posted:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-407/chapter/40948?action=read

Eh... sex worker mother as shorthand for "this guys life was lovely before they were even born" might have been novel in 1986 in Watchmen, but it's so overdone at this point, even with that extra superpower texture.

it’s incredibly on brand for my hero academia. where the only relevant women are consistently defined by the men, and the irrelevant ones are fodder for a guy’s character motivation

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oh jay posted:

I think what they meant to say was that it was at least worth noting that she had a superpower easily one generation before the glowing baby but she was overlooked because she was a sex worker, rather than specifically her relationship to AFO.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't mind the first mutant not being the first mutant. Surely the first superpower was something like "a little more flexible" or "a weaker version of sugar rush on a person who barely eats sweets" which went completely unnoticed. That's cool and fine.

I just think the sex worker thing is leaning too much into an overdone cliche while not doing anything interesting with it. That entire backstory works fine if the mother is just poor and homeless. It adds nothing.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

oh jay posted:

I just think the sex worker thing is leaning too much into an overdone cliche while not doing anything interesting with it. That entire backstory works fine if the mother is just poor and homeless. It adds nothing.

I think on that front it's to ensure that there's zero chance of ever figuring out who the father is, making AFO and OFA completely and utterly family-less except for each other.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think on that front it's to ensure that there's zero chance of ever figuring out who the father is, making AFO and OFA completely and utterly family-less except for each other.

Okay, that's one thing to put in the pro column. But I still don't have to like it though :colbert:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

What if Midoriya's dad is AFO's dad? Has anyone called that yet?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Idk if Bakugo can travel back in time that often

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Nephthys posted:

Not a big fan of "AFO was evil from birth"

Do recall that a person's quirk influences their behavior. He wasn't exactly born evil, but between his poo poo circumstances and a quirk that steals from others, there probably wasn't a hell of a lot of chance for him to turn out well-adjusted.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Shadowlyger posted:

Do recall that a person's quirk influences their behavior. He wasn't exactly born evil, but between his poo poo circumstances and a quirk that steals from others, there probably wasn't a hell of a lot of chance for him to turn out well-adjusted.

Given that his quirk was functioning from birth, there isn't any meaningful difference between "his quirk made him evil" and "he was born evil". Also evil quirks making people evil is stupid.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

He wasn't even really evil to start with, he did save his little brother even if it was out of instinct/possessiveness. He lived an absolutely trash life, uneducated, unloved, unwanted. He had to be basically the protector and provider for both himself and his twin brother who did not get the power to consume things... including apparently enough energy from their dead mother to get both of them over the hump to being able to sustain themselves. His brother turned out better adjusted because he did in fact have someone who was there looking out for him, providing for him, protecting him. Even if his brother was doing really lovely things to do that, he did do those things. And then made a conscious decision as he grew older to go "Imma be a real lovely person because I WANT TO BE ONE"

I personally think its great, and it's great that he stole the glowing power, and even better that the glowing power wasn't even the first actual ability, just the first one that got attention.

And it will be great when Bakugo explodes him

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Nah, he was born evil. Truly a child with bad vibes.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Mymla posted:

Nah, he was born evil. Truly a child with bad vibes.

All babies are born evil. That's what they're crying about when they pop out and you also get twins eating the other one in utero. Af1 is better than those at least.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Rudoku posted:

All babies are born evil. That's what they're crying about when they pop out and you also get twins eating the other one in utero. Af1 is better than those at least.

That's also why the doctor spanks them once they're out. You have to introduce them to capital punishment early.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7558/my-hero-academia-chapter-408?date=1-12-2023-1

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

All-Might really did not gently caress around against AFO, huh? That panel is fuckin BRUTAL

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
GLOOP
WARP

I still don't really give much of a gently caress about afo's backstory or the efforts to make him have a meaningful connection to bakugo. Explode the baby already.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Seriously, how is this not the thread title

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So this is explicitly confirming that Bakugo and the 2nd are unrelated, no dumb time travel theory.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

RatHat posted:

So this is explicitly confirming that Bakugo and the 2nd are unrelated, no dumb time travel theory.

Bakugo is just a guy with the same will, doing much the same things, ie: Getting in AFO's way and stopping him from having what he wants.

Bakugo will now bully the baby's ultimate move and explode the evil child

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

God drat, that All Might page

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Fuuuuuuuuck. All might cleaned that head off. Also baby punching time.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I was so happy to see this when I opened the thread.

Also that all might page goes loving hard.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Nuebot posted:

Explode the baby already.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The brutal All Might page is awesome.

Also does this chapter imply the theory AFO gave Shigaraki his quirk to be correct? I can't tell if he disintegrated that guy in the same way but the hands thing is a clear parallel.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Eggplant Squire posted:

The brutal All Might page is awesome.

Also does this chapter imply the theory AFO gave Shigaraki his quirk to be correct? I can't tell if he disintegrated that guy in the same way but the hands thing is a clear parallel.

That's what I took it as

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gonna be real Bakugo seeing AfO's Ultimate Move and going "that's stupid" is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Electric Phantasm posted:

Gonna be real Bakugo seeing AfO's Ultimate Move and going "that's stupid" is pretty good

He's right