Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lockback posted:

Basically, if you think the there's a huge margin to be made by your parents grocery store why don't you get a group together and undercut that store? The margins are astronomical, if you cut prices by a third you'd be giving people lower prices and still making tons of money. Maybe there's a reason that hasn't happened yet?

That was my very first thought actually. I should arbitrage a rail car of turkey, goddamn.

I don’t know that we can assume that profits would even show up. These chains are constantly buying each other, spinning off regionally, being acquired by equity, etc. There is plenty of debt to shed in good times. I think a more detailed dig into actual reports is probably warranted.

Lockback posted:

Yes, a company prices things so that they make the most money, that's not new. That has literally always been true. But its also not different now, and food prices in particular are very stuck to cost-basis as they are generally elastic

This part is different now. They are very much using POS data to price set by market independent of cost basis.

And I very much would push a large portion of it back down to the producers. It’s not like there haven’t been several recent price fixing cases for things like egg and meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That was my very first thought actually. I should arbitrage a rail car of turkey, goddamn.

I don’t know that we can assume that profits would even show up. These chains are constantly buying each other, spinning off regionally, being acquired by equity, etc. There is plenty of debt to shed in good times. I think a more detailed dig into actual reports is probably warranted.

I want to point out that getting bought out is an incredible way to take a profit, it's been the strategy of nearly every techbro in silicon valley for the last 20 years. getting acquired is a fantastic exit.

but dollar general? no one's in a hurry to acquire dollar general

quote:

And I very much would push a large portion of it back down to the producers. It’s not like there haven’t been several recent price fixing cases for things like egg and meat.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2023/06/06/price-of-eggs-dropping/70290647007/

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think one thing is that debt load. rates are all quoted relative to spot treasury, which was basically 0% but now is like 4.4%, down from 5%. so your putative new thing would have a relative advantage anyways because of the lack of the huge debt loads all the grocery majors have

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hypnophant posted:

there's probably more cost in the last mile than in shipping to a regional warehouse anywhere in the conus

It’s not that much of a difference though. A rail car strips in 3.5 X 40’ cans. Drayage to the local frozen warehouse… then last mile to the stores. The difference between Seattle and north Florida for those things isn’t hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hypnophant posted:

but dollar general? no one's in a hurry to acquire dollar general

I wouldn’t even consider dollar general the same segment honestly. But the food lion, piggly wiggly, Harvey’s, sweet bay level is constantly getting bought back and forth by the equity companies like south eastern groceries.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It’s not that much of a difference though. A rail car strips in 3.5 X 40’ cans. Drayage to the local frozen warehouse… then last mile to the stores. The difference between Seattle and north Florida for those things isn’t hundreds of thousands of dollars.

imagine you ship a whole container full of frozen turkeys to a big store in seattle, and then you take that same container and open it up and break it into individual shipments for eight different stores spaced 25 miles apart on bad roads in northern florida, and then your driver has to wait for the understaffed stores to unload so it takes him like three days to do all the stores. what's the cost difference in this scenario, which takes place in the real world instead of a spherical vacuum

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They just hit rose acre now for fixing that occurred in 04-08, so give it decade before we hear about it. Yes the avian flu contributed. Yes the Ukraine war has been contributing. These things aren’t exclusive and they’re all partially explanatory. There was a break down done several months ago for the European price increases. All of the things, all of us are talking about had percentages of contribution in the 20-25 percent range of the total inflation. I’m getting on a flight now I’ll see if I can dig that up later.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

This part is different now. They are very much using POS data to price set by market independent of cost basis.

It really isn't. In the 90s there were huge calling trees of people reporting when gas prices changed. The grocery stores knew exactly who was charging what and where. Maybe it took a couple hours instead of a couple minutes but for weekly prices it doesn't matter. Nothing your describing is new.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Your parent's grocery store isn't able to sell an entire rail car full of frozen turkeys. You're missing an entire distribution step.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lockback posted:

Your parent's grocery store isn't able to sell an entire rail car full of frozen turkeys. You're missing an entire distribution step.

Or for the frozen warehousing and spotting they have national contracts and rates with vendors so I don’t really have to care.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Lockback posted:

Basically, if you think the there's a huge margin to be made by your parents grocery store why don't you get a group together and undercut that store? The margins are astronomical, if you cut prices by a third you'd be giving people lower prices and still making tons of money. Maybe there's a reason that hasn't happened yet?

Yeah… I get that food inflation is a thing (and I hate it, I’ve started eating out much less) but grocery stores are perhaps not the best example of price gouging?

Not a single publicly traded US “grocery store” has a TTM net profit margin of >4%:
https://finviz.com/screener.ashx?v=161&f=geo_usa,ind_grocerystores&o=-marketcap

I’m not sure if Kroger has ever had a net profit margin over 4%:
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/KR/kroger/profit-margins

Meanwhile, everyone’s favorite phone and tablet maker regularly clocks in margins vaguely 8x of kroger:
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/AAPL/apple/profit-margins

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I haven't worked in food logistics, but I know enough about supply chain to know that bar ran dun sounds pretty on point.

Kind of the entire issue is that if you were trying to arbitrage this inequity in food prices by setting up your own little grocery store in podunk florida, kroger and/or walmart would just adjust and blow you out of the water, and then go back to higher prices.

(and related to this discussion, the FTC shouldn't let the krogers/albertsons merger go through, but they are too distracted by "big tech" to pay attention to a real goddamn problem).

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
staring at the krogers annual reports for 5 mins says the accounting allocates the big delta to merchandising/transportation costs and not the debt service, sg&a or any of that other poo poo

Baddog
May 12, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

staring at the krogers annual reports for 5 mins says the accounting allocates the big delta to merchandising/transportation costs and not the debt service, sg&a or any of that other poo poo

Ehhh I thought the discussion was on being able to charge way more in markets where this is little to no competition, not if transportation was the overall driver of increased costs across the entire krogers operation.

Of course they are going to charge what each individual market will bear, right? Not cost+3% across the board. As a shareholder, I'd actually be a little upset if they were doing something as dumb as that. It's the government which is supposed to be ensuring that there isn't a monopoly on food anywhere.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they slapped the merchandising and transportation together, and thats the big driver, is the rub

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Baddog posted:

Ehhh I thought the discussion was on being able to charge way more in markets where this is little to no competition, not if transportation was the overall driver of increased costs across the entire krogers operation.

Of course they are going to charge what each individual market will bear, right? Not cost+3% across the board. As a shareholder, I'd actually be a little upset if they were doing something as dumb as that. It's the government which is supposed to be ensuring that there isn't a monopoly on food anywhere.

Yeah but the context is their margin is low and the cost is mostly on product. It points to the fact that they're not price gouging or else their margins would be higher.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

GAAP and cost accounting are very different.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah but randoes can only get one so thats what i got

unless you got a password to krogers erp lying around lol

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lol it was half

https://www.imf.org/en/Blogs/Articles/2023/06/26/europes-inflation-outlook-depends-on-how-corporate-profits-absorb-wage-gains

Half of the European inflation was corporate profits, per IMF.

Baddog posted:

(and related to this discussion, the FTC shouldn't let the krogers/albertsons merger go through, but they are too distracted by "big tech" to pay attention to a real goddamn problem).

Yes you are correct. They 100% should not have allowed it.

Baddog posted:

Kind of the entire issue

I reached that same conclusion quickly. The big thing for me was that they likely purchased at a huge quantity. I would not get whatever price they did for my single rail car. I can get buyers, I mean I arrange salvage sales regularly. Then the question was well why aren’t the other grocers undercutting them , which rolled back to the krogers/albertsons merger.

I’ve seen just about everything that’s transported by vessel (which is everything including people and all the high consequence ). I’m not saying these things from a outside perspective. If the rail car reefer fails and they lose 100 tons of pork , I’m taking pictures of the frozen maggots and totaling the costs from the freight invoices and commercial invoices.

the accounting allocates the big delta to merchandising/transportation costs

Merchandising includes sales discounting. That’s going to be it I’d bet. Watch your own grocery store, watch the pattern of normal price to sale discount that occurs right before new stock inventory arrives. Ask which day they get trucks. Look at the posted prices, permanent sales, and intermittent sales prices for skus.

I think they are bifurcating. Rich price insensitive folks just buy whatever and don’t care. normal people are price sensitive and wait for reasonable sales prices. That discount may be showing up in merchandising. It’s a stunning delta on some products.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

GAAP and cost accounting are very different.

You should see retail accounting. It’s painful. Open to buy dates, PMU, loving LIFO?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I just saw Greece fell to 10% unemployment for the first time in a long time. I remember they tried some disastrous cost cutting measures, but then didn't really hear much for a long time. How have they worked this recovery? Just generally benefiting finally from global tailwinds or did they figure something out?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Lockback posted:

I just saw Greece fell to 10% unemployment for the first time in a long time. I remember they tried some disastrous cost cutting measures, but then didn't really hear much for a long time. How have they worked this recovery? Just generally benefiting finally from global tailwinds or did they figure something out?

A quick look at wikipedia says unemployment has been falling for a decade, and real GDP has increased almost every year for nearly as long (with the exception of 2020).

Apparently a strong push towards electronic point of sale transactions has helped reduce tax evasion as well.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Re: rural grocery stores. I don’t really have a dog in the logistics argument, but something to keep in mind is that not all monopolies and cartels are huge national level things. Mom and pop businesses absolutely do price fixing and it’s endemic in rural places with few options.

In the 90s my family moved to rural BF Egypt in the north east right in the Canadian border. Think the kind of town where you’re a two hour drive to an airport where you fly for two hours to get to the nearest actual decent sized city.

When we moved there all three of the grocery stores with about 30 minutes of the house were owned by, two families, who slso had a lock on drug stores and iirc most of the gas stations. My mom was loving flabbergasted when she found out a loaf of generic whole wheat bread cost $2. Keep in mind this is around 1992 or so.

A few years later Walmart came to town, and with them came $.25 loaves of wal mart bread. There was a LOT of complaints about how the local grocers couldn’t keep up, how it was going to put main street out of business etc, but in the end they somehow managed to cut those $2 loaves down to less than $.50 without going out of business. Still not Walmart cheap but holy gently caress price cuts across the board.

It’s no exaggeration to say the standard of living in that area went way up.

Walmart is full of poo poo and causes tons of problems. They absolutely do undercut local business with the intent of becoming a monopoly and abusing that position in the future. But the people they’re loving in those kinds of super rural areas are frequently already fleecing the locals for everything they can, and often have been for generations.

Edit: a friend’s dad who worked the border later told me that cigarette smuggling from Canada also dropped by orders of magnitude. Just over night not a problem, because people had someone to buy smokes from other than the local grocery/convenience store cartel. Turns out the smuggling wasn’t tax evasion, it was monopoly evasion.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Cyrano4747 posted:

In the 90s my family moved to rural BF Egypt in the north east right in the Canadian border.

:confused:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

"bumfuck egypt" is just an expression that means "rural as gently caress, in the middle of nowhere." Frequently just shortened to BFE.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

When we moved there all three of the grocery stores with about 30 minutes of the house were owned by, two families, who slso had a lock on drug stores and iirc most of the gas stations. My mom was loving flabbergasted when she found out a loaf of generic whole wheat bread cost $2. Keep in mind this is around 1992 or so.

A few years later Walmart came to town, and with them came $.25 loaves of wal mart bread. There was a LOT of complaints about how the local grocers couldn’t keep up, how it was going to put main street out of business etc, but in the end they somehow managed to cut those $2 loaves down to less than $.50 without going out of business. Still not Walmart cheap but holy gently caress price cuts across the board.

Walmart is full of poo poo and causes tons of problems. They absolutely do undercut local business with the intent of becoming a monopoly and abusing that position in the future. But the people they’re loving in those kinds of super rural areas are frequently already fleecing the locals for everything they can, and often have been for generations.

Weird coincidence that you say this... After Charlie Munger died a few days ago, somebody sent me a commencement speech he made in 1995. He made exactly the point you make here: don't romanticize the local merchants, on the whole, net-net, Walmart ended up being a big positive for a lot of places.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Re: rural grocery stores. I don’t really have a dog in the logistics argument, but something to keep in mind is that not all monopolies and cartels are huge national level things. Mom and pop businesses absolutely do price fixing and it’s endemic in rural places with few options.

In the 90s my family moved to rural BF Egypt in the north east right in the Canadian border. Think the kind of town where you’re a two hour drive to an airport where you fly for two hours to get to the nearest actual decent sized city.

Edit: a friend’s dad who worked the border later told me that cigarette smuggling from Canada also dropped by orders of magnitude. Just over night not a problem, because people had someone to buy smokes from other than the local grocery/convenience store cartel. Turns out the smuggling wasn’t tax evasion, it was monopoly evasion.

Super interesting, thanks for sharing

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Agronox posted:

Weird coincidence that you say this... After Charlie Munger died a few days ago, somebody sent me a commencement speech he made in 1995. He made exactly the point you make here: don't romanticize the local merchants, on the whole, net-net, Walmart ended up being a big positive for a lot of places.

That is a hot loving take.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

billionaire at berkshire hathaway happened to love corporations and making GBS threads on small businesses. yep

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Small business, big business, gently caress em all, give me an egalitarian, growth-oriented state ruled by accountable technocrats with complete command and control of the economy.
:regd08:

But, in all seriousness, as much as I can get behind the criticisms of our corporate overlords, folks have far too rosy a picture of what they've (partially) replaced. Not all that different from the long-standing critiques of industrialization putting skilled artisans out of work—guilds restricting supply to maintain their profits and a broader spurning of investment in development helped ensure the past was a terrible time to be alive.

There's no moment worse than the one we're living in, except for all those that came before it.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Lockback posted:

It’s not really a recovery if they’re still at 10%. A lot of the improvement is likely emigration, either to the rest of the EU or abroad; checking quickly, Greece has had negative population growth every year since 2010. Some more is going to be the long-term unemployed accepting worse jobs at lower wages. Greek labor force participation rate is also really low; the world bank has them peaking at 53% in 2010, compared to 51.5% today (and around 48% during the pandemic). Compare to the US at like 65-70%, and Germany closer to 75% (source: top of my head)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, also having lived in bumfuck nowhere, the reality of the little regional general store isn't Stardew Valley, it's everything marked up 300% so the owner can afford a second boat, and an unspoken agreement to never let teenage girls work for him.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
so its stardew valley

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The thing about rural locations where there is a single choice of grocer is that most people don't live in them, hence corporate megachain profits aren't generated there, because they aren't enough % of revenue.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

so its stardew valley

Stardont valley

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Unironically, part of the appeal of stardew valley is adding in some lovely things about rural living, like the shopkeep being a little poo poo or the drinking

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Unironically, part of the appeal of stardew valley is adding in some lovely things about rural living, like the shopkeep being a little poo poo or the drinking

Also there's only four people to date. Really, four is an embarrassment of riches.

Tomoe Goonzen
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
China’s Rising Debt Spurs Moody’s to Lower Credit Outlook

The New York Times posted:

In another blow to China’s economy, the credit ratings agency Moody’s said Tuesday that it had issued a negative outlook for the Chinese government’s financial health.

Moody’s expressed concern at the potential cost to the national government of bailing out debt-burdened regional and local governments and state-owned businesses. Moody’s, which previously viewed China’s finances as stable, warned that the country’s economy is settling into slower growth while its enormous property sector has begun to shrink.

China’s Ministry of Finance immediately pushed back, saying that the Chinese economy is resilient and that local government budgets could withstand their loss of revenue from the country’s real estate downturn.

At the same time, Moody’s reaffirmed its overall A1 credit rating for the Chinese government, which is roughly in the middle of the scale of what’s considered “investment grade” or generally low risk. A negative outlook on a credit rating is not necessarily soon followed by a downgrade, but it serves as a caution that the existing rating may not be sustainable.

[...]

Today China faces increasingly serious budget constraints, triggered mainly by a steep slide in the real estate sector. The construction of apartments, factories, office towers and other projects has been the country’s largest industry, accounting for 25 percent of economic output. Apartments are also the main investment for most households, accounting for three-fifths or more of their savings.

While borrowing by China’s national government has been limited, local and regional governments and state-owned enterprises have borrowed heavily for the last 15 years. The money the local governments pulled in from lenders has generated high economic growth, but many of them are now in serious trouble.

For China, the change in the credit outlook will have little direct effect on its finances. Unlike many countries, China relies very little on overseas borrowing. The national government mainly sells bonds to the country’s state-owned banks. The country’s regional and local governments and state-owned enterprises also sell bonds to them.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
As someone preparing to sell/buy their home, I am LOVING this bond rally

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Lydia DePillis, for the New York Times posted:

U.S. Job Growth Holds Up as Economy Gradually Cools
Interest rate increases have taken the edge off labor demand, but unemployment dipped in November, and wages rose more than expected.

The U.S. economy continued to pump out jobs in November, suggesting there is still juice left in a labor market that has been slowing almost imperceptibly since last year’s pandemic rebound.

Employers added 199,000 jobs last month, the Labor Department reported Friday, while the unemployment rate dropped to 3.7 percent, from 3.9 percent. The increase in employment includes tens of thousands of autoworkers and actors who returned to their jobs after strikes, and others in related businesses that had been stalled by the walkouts, meaning underlying job growth is slightly weaker.

Even so, the report signals that the economy remains far from recession territory despite a year and a half of interest rate increases that have weighed on consumer spending and business investment. Reinforcing the picture of energetic labor demand, wages jumped 0.4 percent over the month, more than expected, and the workweek lengthened slightly.

Most analysts have been surprised by the durability of the recovery, which owes a lot to the cash that consumers accumulated over the past few years of federal stimulus and forced savings. That has powered service-industry jobs even in the face of rising costs and the resumption of mandatory student debt payments.

“That’s the definition of a soft landing: It’s slowing slowly, which is what you want,” said Martin Holdrich, a senior economist with Woods & Poole Economics. He noted, however, that given strong productivity growth, the enduring tightness of the labor market needn’t prompt the Federal Reserve to continue increasing interest rates.

[...]

November’s crop of jobs was essentially in line with the last few months, accounting for strike activity, though a step down from the 240,000 jobs added per month on average over the year ended in October. During the November survey, there were still about 10,000 workers still on strike at workplaces including casinos and hospitals.

Economic news still just so surprisingly positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

updating my 2023 recession articles to change the date to 2024 for maximum SEO clickbait