Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I'm digging into C:S2 despite never playing that much of the first game. Mostly my city-building games of late have been small forays into Transport Fever, so it's at least nice to be able to place train tracks without fiddling around with signals - but what the hell is with making me place a giant subway depot AND a giant train depot? Don't they service/create basically the same type of vehicle? Also, are these depots meant to just be build on the main line, using the middle bit as a passthrough track, or am I misunderstanding them? It seems like the only way you could use maybe slightly less space for them.

Small aggravations with the game so far: I have been trying to implement the elevated tram lines shown off earlier in the thread. It's a little silly, since my population is still low enough (~15k) that they don't even hit 10% usage. Building tram lines on top of roads, with pedestrian walkways connected, is really finicky and might be the single thing I've spent the most time on so far. Screenshots of some of that below, though they're not as crazy as the work ntan1's up to. My one other big complaint is that I wish this game looked better on my machine without slowing to a chunky crawl, but I guess all I can do there is either upgrade or wait for optimizations.

Is there some way to adjust tram routes after they've already been placed? My loop around the outside of this city area took forever because I wanted to add new stops or move a few stops around but it seems like the only way to do that is to outright delete the line and re-create the entire thing.

Here's a stub I built off the side of the elevated tram line in order to actually connect a pedestrian ramp to it:

More of that same area, with the foot path that leads over to the high school:

The connection down to the (very lightly-used) train station:

Some more ugly swoops:

On a side note, I just noticed that despite the rain, a good chunk of my first industrial area is now on fire.

It's probably because all of the fire trucks need to cross this awful three-circle interstate exit/underpass in order to get there:

And finally, a shot of the entire ugly/beautiful thing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Ignoranus posted:

It's probably because all of the fire trucks need to cross this awful three-circle interstate exit/underpass in order to get there:

at this point you might be better off just using one-way streets to make an oval - like a roundabout, just real real stretched. you could even put your tram line through the middle of the oval, so your trams block traffic less

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ignoranus posted:

On a side note, I just noticed that despite the rain, a good chunk of my first industrial area is now on fire.

If it works the same as in CS1 it's might be a good idea to plop a firestation in the industrial zones because they catch fire way more often. Unless of course the game sends the trucks from firestations which aren't the closest.
Those pedestrian bridges and swoops weren't that bad. I've seen a lot worse.

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 29, 2023

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

death cob for cutie posted:

at this point you might be better off just using one-way streets to make an oval - like a roundabout, just real real stretched. you could even put your tram line through the middle of the oval, so your trams block traffic less

Thanks for this. I don't think I've actually unfucked it for good, but at least it's a little better now. A little clot still forms there, but it's at least not blocking up back to the offramp any more.

Also, that tram now stays elevated the entire time and it's really significantly improved the speed at which it travels its route and the utilization of it, so that's a plus anyway.

I figured out how to change completed tram routes: you have to actually have the "Tram Line Tool" selected. You can't be looking at the route summary or the transit overlay. Once you have the tram line tool selected, you can mouse over the purple bubbles to start a new tram line, or you can mouse over the actual tram lines themselves and click to add a new waypoint. You can click and drag these custom waypoints to arbitrary spots on the street or to the purple bubble over existing stations, which will add those stations to the line. You can also stop a route from stopping at a station by hovering over the dot until it says "drag waypoint to move it" and right-clicking. Holy smokes, I wish I'd figured that all out earlier.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
How long does it take for poopwater to disappear? I havent had a sewage outlet in literally 2+ years but it's still a fecal reminder of the past

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Fishstick posted:

How long does it take for poopwater to disappear? I havent had a sewage outlet in literally 2+ years but it's still a fecal reminder of the past

I've been wondering the same, I moved my outlets way out of the way once I unlocked a bunch of tiles and the old poopwater has remained for a long long time with no signs of dissipating or shrinking.

Accurate UK 2020s sim at least

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
What happens when you terraform it into a hill and then drop it back below the water level?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

SpaceCadetBob posted:

What happens when you terraform it into a hill and then drop it back below the water level?
If you build a land ring around it, then fill in the poop pool, it goes away when you remove the land.

At least it did shortly after release.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If you build a land ring around it, then fill in the poop pool, it goes away when you remove the land.

That's how New Jersey was built

e: this isn't even a joke it's pretty much true

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
God made the world, except the Netherlands which we had to make ourselves.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Seems like a pretty accurate representation of what it’s like to drive in SF

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I don't get mass transit. I put a train station at each of my dense commerce area, medium/dense residential, and industrial and nobody uses it. Do I just have to wait until traffic gets bad they start using mass transit as an alternative?

Also the insatiable lust for low density residential pisses me off and I keep ending up just making a big ugly square block of mass 2x2 houses to get them to shutup.

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 30, 2023

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
This same thing happened in the first game. We’re conditioned to equating non-zero demand with deficit, and want to drive all the demand bars to neutral. But that’s not the way to look at it.

Currently I look at unemployment rate and number of jobs available, and build loosely based on that. But that’s probably also fiction, because many things in this game are hosed up and broken.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

This same thing happened in the first game. We’re conditioned to equating non-zero demand with deficit, and want to drive all the demand bars to neutral. But that’s not the way to look at it.

Currently I look at unemployment rate and number of jobs available, and build loosely based on that. But that’s probably also fiction, because many things in this game are hosed up and broken.

This is good advice. Ignore low density housing and commercial demand.

And also true - many things in this game are hosed up and/or broken, or just plainly badly designed. Their CEO's not for turning on the "badly designed" bit though, so if you don't like the way the gameplay works then, in a strange echo of a common Star Citizen Defence Force rebuttal, "this game just might not be for you".

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/co-word-of-the-week-5.1613651/post-29292760

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
Mind you, she has just apologised for saying precisely those words:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/co-word-of-the-week-5.1613651/post-29295003

so there is that.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

New patch today:

quote:

Gameplay fixes
Mail fixes:
Fixed: Citizens do not have destinations in their Selected Info Panel when Sending Mail
Fixed: Post van not delivering/collecting mail from target building if the path accesses the lot in a specific way.
Fixed: Post van failing to collect mail from building if it's also delivering mail to the same building at the same time.
Fixed: Post sorting facility is unable to export global mail

Storage transfer fixes:
Adjusted industrial companies' production efficiency to produce more products to increase good exports.
Adjusted storage companies spawning, storage companies will spawn less than storage capacity demand to increase goods export.
Fixed vehicle state that isn't exporting showed as exporting state
Cargo Stations like harbors, and train terminals will have a low stock amount at 100t, the terminal will import around 30t each time the current amount is below 100t.
Cargo Stations like harbors, and train terminals will have an export threshold of 200t, the terminal will export around 30t each time the current amount is above 200t.
Storage companies will spawn less than the current producing capacity to increase export (does not affect existing storage companies in the city)
Improved pathfinding to include storage & cargo stations as valid import candidate targets

Improved moving in pathfinding. This prevents citizens from reserving homes from disconnected buildings (Or moving into the city at all if it's not connected to an outside connection).
Increased pathfinding penalty for illegal pedestrian crossing
Fixed: Several instances of vehicles getting stuck
Fixed: Roads shown as inaccessible in Build menu can be used when the player has low budget
Fixed: Hydro power plant output increases with simulation speed
Improved water flow update when terraforming
Fixed: Progression XP is not awarded for constructing Signature Buildings
Fixed: Coal power plant does not import resource from nearby harbor
Fixed: Citizens are shopping in industrial zones in factories instead of commercial zones
Fixed: multiple issues related to constructing multilevel roads, elevated roads over water or bridges
Improved elevated road construction (Not actual bridges) to require more pillars

Graphics fixes

Improved terrain smoothing for networks and large buildings
Fixed: Forward road arrows on building lots incorrect for left-hand traffic.
Fixed: Trees sticking out of the river in the main background image
Fixed: Dam (net-part only) facing the wrong way when using left-hand traffic
Fixed: Buildings missing road arrows and some other props depending on the selected theme
Fixed: International Airport missing bus stops when using the North America theme.

UI fixes
Improved Selected Info Panel and Infoview panels to scale with text scale
Improved sorting of households:
Citizens sorted by age in household/single-family home Selected Info Panel sidebar
Households sorted by member count in building Selected Info Panel sidebar

Fixed: Pressing "M" while in photo mode removes the UI permanently for that session
Fixed: Customer Info view for low customers terrain color inconsistent to the terrain color of other RCIO Info views
Fixed: UI forwardRef error which was appearing sporadically when loading a save

Other fixes

Fixed: Now They're All Ash Trees, Out For a Spin, The Size of Golf Balls, Groundskeeper, Up and Away achievements, and Four Seasons achievements
Fixed: Prefabs not unlocking correctly
Fixed: Cinematic camera data is not resetting when loading a save or starting a new one
Fixed: Object base mesh not visible if the main object is out of camera viewport
Fixed: Forestry Area's Forest Forwarder was not playing the engine sound
Increased all emergency vehicle siren sound distances
Improved cached progress for Achievements
Added 2 new steps to Education tutorial
Added missing translations
Optimized XP calculations
Improved error and crash reporting tools

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ok it's pretty funny that apparently exports weren't working because all the industry was gradually converting to storage facilities to handle the demand caused by overproduction of goods

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Apparently more people are now playing CS1 than CS2?

I checked out when it was clear there would be no mod support for quite sometime and given I play Skylines as a glorified model making kit the videos I saw and the stuff you guys posted in here showed me it wasnt for me at this point.

Any idea if mod support/custom assets are coming at all?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

serious gaylord posted:

I checked out when it was clear there would be no mod support for quite sometime and given I play Skylines as a glorified model making kit the videos I saw and the stuff you guys posted in here showed me it wasnt for me at this point.

supposedly sometime in the first half of next year, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I've stopped playing and am looking at reinstalling CS1. One good thing is now that there will be no more CS1 updates, the mods shouldn't break every few months.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

serious gaylord posted:

The mod workshop is early next year. Lots of creators are making custom assets as we speak, and if you want to futz around with stuff that may break the game there are a bunch of mods now that you can stick in unofficially.

As someone who plays heavily modded yeah you should just stick with CS1 at the moment. Six months from now things will be different.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
lol, Jesus.

fixed: Hydro power plant output increases with simulation speed

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

serious gaylord posted:

Depends on when you check, right now while I'm writing this, CS1 has 9364 players, CS2 has 14368 players. The 24-hour peak of CS1 is 14048, the 24-hour peak of CS2 is 15526. If you're a journalist writing an article to cash in on the CS2 hate-train, you wait until the numbers fluctuate towards CS1 and drop your "as of the time of this writing, CS1 has more players than CS2!" article.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

piratepilates posted:

Depends on when you check, right now while I'm writing this, CS1 has 9364 players, CS2 has 14368 players. The 24-hour peak of CS1 is 14048, the 24-hour peak of CS2 is 15526. If you're a journalist writing an article to cash in on the CS2 hate-train, you wait until the numbers fluctuate towards CS1 and drop your "as of the time of this writing, CS1 has more players than CS2!" article.

Lol, they put the game out 3/4 finished. I’m glad they are getting skewered for it and those numbers are terrible for a recently released sequel.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lord Packinham posted:

Lol, they put the game out 3/4 finished. I’m glad they are getting skewered for it and those numbers are terrible for a recently released sequel.

I agree they should've delayed it, the numbers aren't that bad though. The thing with citybuilders is they tend to have a small compared to AAA Shooter player base that remains stable for years and years. I don't have the post handy but I saw someone analyze the "CS2 bleeding players!!!" articles which pointed out CS1 has had roughly the same amount of simultaneous players for its entire life and CS2's are not that different.

There's no world where CS2 was going to have 500,000 simultaneous players for a year or whatever.

E: Also I don't know why anyone cares about the number of simultaneous players for a game unless you work in the company's marketing department.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 1, 2023

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Grand Fromage posted:

I agree they should've delayed it, the numbers aren't that bad though. The thing with citybuilders is they tend to have a small compared to AAA Shooter player base that remains stable for years and years. I don't have the post handy but I saw someone analyze the "CS2 bleeding players!!!" articles which pointed out CS1 has had roughly the same amount of simultaneous players for its entire life and CS2's are not that different.

There's no world where CS2 was going to have 500,000 simultaneous players for a year or whatever.

CS1 was weird, it actually grew its playerbase to the point that when CS2 launched it had 3 times as many players then in the first year of its life. Certainly the period from 2021 to 6 weeks ago it was still going incredibly strong.

CS2 has lost 80% of its players in 6 weeks. That is pretty bad and is probably representative of the hype the marketing train brought it. The current player count is 30% less than Skylines 1 was a year ago. The drop off has levelled out a bit but its still tanking from I guess people just checking out until all the bugs are fixed?

It'll be a good game eventually.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

It's all kind of a weird situation of games in the first place, most people playing C:S1 at this point probably aren't really doing it for the gameplay (what gameplay), they probably want to build out a city with their favourite assets and using mods like Move It! and whatever so they can place the buildings the way they want. Even the game shipped with a workshop and asset editor and all that, how long would it take for a critical mass of assets and such to come out to make them switch?

serious gaylord posted:

CS2 has lost 80% of its players in 6 weeks. That is pretty bad and is probably representative of the hype the marketing train brought it. The current player count is 30% less than Skylines 1 was a year ago. The drop off has levelled out a bit but its still tanking from I guess people just checking out until all the bugs are fixed?

I mean, that's what I'm doing. I really don't have it in me to go back to C:S1, but I may as well wait until C:S2 just gets its stuff straightened out and we can all forget about this launch saga.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
How much room in the game's optimization would be for adding more resources to the mix?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I have a million other games to play right now so I am mostly on the waiting for bug fixes train. I plan to put a lot more time into CS2 ~soon~

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

piratepilates posted:

Even the game shipped with a workshop and asset editor and all that, how long would it take for a critical mass of assets and such to come out to make them switch?

My assumption was I'd play CS2 a couple weeks then go back to 1, and it'd take a year or so for there to be enough mods/assets to tempt me back.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, I'm one of many mostly waiting for the mod framework to get rolling to invest more time. I built a big city and saw almost all the game had to offer, and I'll start a new modded city... whenever that happens.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
respect to the CEO for sticking it out in that thread on the paradox forums. that being said I have not opened the game in weeks and I have no desire to do so until the game is significantly patched and/or modding is available

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

the biggest stopper for me is not being able to do custom maps

I just want to play on my north akron map again :(

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

barnold posted:

respect to the CEO for sticking it out in that thread on the paradox forums.

The large amount of money they made from the launch probably makes it a little easier.

barnold posted:

that being said I have not opened the game in weeks and I have no desire to do so until the game is significantly patched and/or modding is available

I've played CS2 for about 20 hours, but every time I fire it up, I load one of the drab maps, lay down some roads and think "pffft, why am I even bothering? I know *exactly* how this town is going to look in "x" hours".

I've gone back to CS for now, just farting around with a new modded city, building out the medieval centre and then doing something else I guess.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Jonny Shiloh posted:

I've played CS2 for about 20 hours, but every time I fire it up, I load one of the drab maps, lay down some roads and think "pffft, why am I even bothering? I know *exactly* how this town is going to look in "x" hours".

this has been my experience precisely. I find that so much of the organic creative citybuilding that made CS1 so much fun to play has been sucked out in favor of "you have to build your city this exact way otherwise none of your industry or services will work right and your city will collapse" which I'm sure is lots of fun for a certain type of player but I don't really feel like building the same exact city over and over again on different maps so I guess I just have to wait

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

barnold posted:

this has been my experience precisely. I find that so much of the organic creative citybuilding that made CS1 so much fun to play has been sucked out in favor of "you have to build your city this exact way otherwise none of your industry or services will work right and your city will collapse" which I'm sure is lots of fun for a certain type of player but I don't really feel like building the same exact city over and over again on different maps so I guess I just have to wait

Im not trying to pick on you, but the other half of the complaints about the game are how the simulation cheats you so many freebies that it’s literally impossible to build a city that fails.

Maybe im just easy to please but I gave cs1 a weekend binge before cs2 came out to get my hype on, and the new game is so much better than the original(even with the 3 or 4 expansions i bought way back when).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Maybe im just easy to please but I gave cs1 a weekend binge before cs2 came out to get my hype on, and the new game is so much better than the original(even with the 3 or 4 expansions i bought way back when).

Did you play CS1 with a bunch of mods? I think that's the real difference. If you're just a vanilla player I imagine CS2 is better, but I'm too used to the power of mods to really get into it. Which I don't blame for at all, just means I want to wait.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Grand Fromage posted:

E: Also I don't know why anyone cares about the number of simultaneous players for a game unless you work in the company's marketing department.

Game maintaining good-sized player base means we get to play some future DLCs and updates.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

The game hasn't even come out on consoles yet, by the time they get stuff straightened out and the workshop rolled out (including cross-platform assets), the playerbase will probably roll over to CS2 pretty fast. It's not like CS1 really has anything to offer over it except mods and assets, and initial bugs in CS2. The youtube creators are still releasing pretty much exclusively for CS2 too.

Then again that's assuming they can improve the simulation performance (not graphics performance), since playing a city after 100k people gets pretty slow. That's the other big thing holding me back from playing, and what I could see pulling people back to CS1.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Chalk me in the 'waiting for mods" group.

I put 20hrs in it and it's been fun. I'll probably play some more here and there. I want to be able to do fine details and spend hours painstakingly lining up trees, shrubs and fences to things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I just noticed one thing:
There's completely separated list of special buildings for both Euro and American style buildings.
Time to bulldoze some neighbourhood to spread some americana. :getin: