Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lockback posted:

Worse than not playing basketball is that I do play but just loving around in rec or whatever. So I have to choose either saying "No" or saying "Yes" and then explaining that I did not play in the Final Four.

Just buy tall friend. Even my tshirts are all MT or LT now. I watch for clothing slickdeals and when an actual deal comes up on tall clothes I stock up.

oh yeah I've got push notifications for a couple places for in-stock tall shirts, it's finding the right places because half the time tall and big are solely a length difference and it suuuucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

MajorBonnet posted:

But the weather up there is nicer, right?

The brain damage from the lack of oxygen this high up is complemented by the brain damage incurred by frequently banging my head.

As a result, I'm on the fast track to becoming an executive!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

FAUXTON posted:

oh yeah I've got push notifications for a couple places for in-stock tall shirts, it's finding the right places because half the time tall and big are solely a length difference and it suuuucks.

Make sure to go down a size. So with regular I can kinda make due with large/XL, but for tall sizes it's MT and LT. XLT I'm swimming in.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

Sorry to continue the Tall Person Derail, but I've been liking Buck Mason t-shirts recently. They're way more expensive than just like, Hanes, but they fit me pretty well, especially after lifting consistently for a couple years has changed my frame a little bit.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
The marketing team turned our logo into goatse. I don't have the heart to tell them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TheSpartacus posted:

The marketing team turned our logo into goatse. I don't have the heart to tell them.

Please don't, for the good of the rest of us. Let that get into the wild and become the most popular thing on insta for a day.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

TheSpartacus posted:

Beautiful.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
My alma mater paid $2M for a logo that was an elegant cock and balls.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jenkl posted:

My alma mater paid $2M for a logo that was an elegant cock and balls.

Same, an old office did exactly that and got roundly mocked. They change logos every couple of years there though so it's about due for a refresh.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

TheSpartacus posted:

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Midjack posted:

Same, an old office did exactly that and got roundly mocked. They change logos every couple of years there though so it's about due for a refresh.

It's wild, eh? Like literally everyone noticed immediately, from the bro who speaks only in dick jokes to the quiet kid you've never heard swear.

Cock. And. Balls.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lockback posted:

Make sure to go down a size. So with regular I can kinda make due with large/XL, but for tall sizes it's MT and LT. XLT I'm swimming in.

yeah, it's knowing whether I need to size down ahead of time that's the trick.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hotel Kpro posted:

Starting week 3 of my new job. Still haven’t gotten my laptop and haven’t been given much to do. I’m content just coasting for a bit

Do we work for the same place? One of our desktop support guys just got a new hire to set up...who apparently started 2 weeks ago & never got a laptop :lol: they got a list of new hires today by email & the guy's start date shows as 12/4/23, no clue how they screwed that up so hard.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Tuesday:
"Here are the metrics. The organization as a whole is not meeting the 3 day timeline for this activity. Only 65% are finished in 3 days, on a metric of 95%."
"We aren't staffed to meet the three-day metric. You can't LEAN-staff with no redundancy and expect these to be maintained."
"We'll bring that feedback to the leadership team."

Friday:
"Effective immediately, the 3-day is now required to be 1-day."
"What the gently caress is wrong with you? How did you look at a failure to maintain 3 days and decide what we need is 1 day instead?"
"Well, it's not really required, it's just we're telling people it is so they work faster. We're not going to actually update the 3 day SOP requirement."

Thanks, Global QA. You really understand how humans work.

e: "I'm ______ and I work in the Analytical Research group. I've worked here for 22 years and..." -- Sorry, you're effectively an alien to me the moment you say something like that. 22 years in one department? What. Even in one company for that long blows my mind.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 1, 2023

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing I hate more than management putting knowingly impossible goals up just because they think that’ll make people work harder.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Nothing I hate more than management putting knowingly impossible goals up just because they think that’ll make people work harder.

I know, right? What good is it? If the goal was already impossible, then when people fail to hit it, they're going to learn it wasn't even a real goal. Now they're right back to ignoring it / failing the old goal, except now they hate you and know conclusively that you're a liar.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

I know, right? What good is it?

Remember that an important component to becoming executive leadership is a hefty does of sociopathy. That needs to be fed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I feel like this is so obvious that I must be missing :thejoke:, but... it's to justify not giving meaningful raises.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

I feel like this is so obvious that I must be missing :thejoke:, but... it's to justify not giving meaningful raises.

It's a bit more complicated than that. A site in another country got an audit finding for not investigating issues quickly enough. Some went long enough waiting for the issue to be investigated that they went out the door to market before anyone put the hold on the product. That's an actual big deal. Industry-wide, the regulatory expectation is "identify the issue and put the product on hold within 1 biz day, and classify/handle in a timely manner." The company decided 3 days was timely and that's in the procedure.

So now, this is a blame-transfer. Leadership gets to claim they took decisive action by telling people to investigate within 1 day instead of 3 days, say bullshit about their commitment to quality, and then wash their hands of the issue without actually addressing the staffing shortages or terrible red tape that prevents us from doing the 3 day requirement.

And then maybe gently caress with raises when we fail to hit the requirement

But seriously re: the raises - this is a megacorp. Raises are already insignificant/meaningless. 3% before inflation is a good raise most years.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Do we work for the same place? One of our desktop support guys just got a new hire to set up...who apparently started 2 weeks ago & never got a laptop :lol: they got a list of new hires today by email & the guy's start date shows as 12/4/23, no clue how they screwed that up so hard.

If you’re working in a hospital then maybe. I do have my boss’ boss’ backup laptop so I’m not entirely useless, but it would also be nice to get my stuff since I’m classified as remote and should be getting paid just to drive out here.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

Sundae posted:

It's a bit more complicated than that. A site in another country got an audit finding for not investigating issues quickly enough. Some went long enough waiting for the issue to be investigated that they went out the door to market before anyone put the hold on the product. That's an actual big deal. Industry-wide, the regulatory expectation is "identify the issue and put the product on hold within 1 biz day, and classify/handle in a timely manner." The company decided 3 days was timely and that's in the procedure.

So now, this is a blame-transfer. Leadership gets to claim they took decisive action by telling people to investigate within 1 day instead of 3 days, say bullshit about their commitment to quality, and then wash their hands of the issue without actually addressing the staffing shortages or terrible red tape that prevents us from doing the 3 day requirement.

Am I understanding you correctly?

If your product went out the door with open deviations/investigations, that's not just a big deal, that could trigger a for cause FDA inspection.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

TheSpartacus posted:

If your product went out the door with open deviations/investigations, that's not just a big deal, that could trigger a for cause FDA inspection.

I'm guessing that then the company can say "our policies are in compliance!" and throw their employees under the bus despite the fact that the policy isn't supported or enabled in practicality.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010

Awkward Davies posted:

I'm guessing that then the company can say "our policies are in compliance!" and throw their employees under the bus despite the fact that the policy isn't supported or enabled in practicality.

You are required to maintain appropriate staffing levels, so that is not a valid excuse with the FDA.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

TheSpartacus posted:

Not quite, but your final result is still 100% correct.

There was no open deviation/investigation because the team responsible for it (at this international site) hadn't opened the investigation in the system within 1 business day. Therefore, with nothing against it in the quality release check, it went out the door to a distribution warehouse. It never actually made it to patients thankfully, but it easily could have. The auditors caught this during a site inspection, made a big deal out of it because it is a big deal. Their reaction to it as a problem was 100% on point.

Now, that's where the lovely response from leadership comes into play. The procedure says 1 day to open the investigation, 3 days to classify severity. The problem here is that a known issue didn't have an investigation opened (which would've put the hold in place on the batch), not that it took 3+ days to classify severity. The network largely fails to consistently meet the 3 day classification window. It takes more than 3 days to get all the necessary people in the room with the data and review it all, get the writeup in place, get the zillion reviewers who have to sign off on the writeup to review it, etc etc. Standard bureaucratic nonsense on that part.

So in response to someone not opening an investigation in one day, we're now required to... classify investigations within one day. That doesn't even address the actual problem statement, let alone align with the data the metrics show.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Everywhere I've ever worked has had a pretty static raise pool come merit time and everyone's individual raises were doled out from there. So for an individual it matters, but as a group meeting/missing metrics wouldn't cost/save the company any money.

Sundae posted:

Yeah this is what I'd expect. It's about what you put on your year end power point slide about How You Did Thing To Improve

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lockback posted:

I prefer an in-between title that can be backed out easier. "Lead/Supervisor/etc" but yeah, that part I am not terribly concerned about.

This is definitely not addressed to you but I get kinda tired of SA as an echo chamber for those who can’t be vulnerable. It’s okay that that’s true for them, it’s true for all of us at times, but know that about yourself and don’t discourage people facing genuine opportunities. Not every cloud means rain.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Lockback: All I meant was that it enables managers to respond to "why am I only getting a 2% raise!?" with "well, you didn't meet your objectives..." with a straight face.

CFP: I said right at the beginning of the post you're objecting to that it's a great opportunity. But I personally know more than one person who was absolutely devastated when, after significant time in an Interim Manager role with polite noises being made to the effect it definitely probably maybe will become permament, someone else was hired and they were returned to being an IC. It feels like a demotion; it feels like your face being spat in when it happens. I think OP should be aware of the distinct possibilty and prepared to handle it rationally if it were to happen.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 1, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Lockback: All I meant was that it enables managers to respond to "why am I only getting a 2% raise!?" with "well, you didn't meet your objectives..." with a straight face.

They don't need a justification because the whole process is so obfuscated that no individual manager who you can actually speak to has the power to set those raises anyway. :v:

I literally cannot tell my employees why their raises are what they are. It comes down to me through a computerized system that has no point of contact, and my choice is to hit the check mark (accept it) or the reject button, at which point they get no raise. I'd probably have to go to VP level to actually find someone who knows where that number comes from. The same thing actually applies to their ratings. This year, I received notification from upper management what I was supposed to rate all my direct reports before I even got their performance ranking slides submitted. The rankings were decided before the ranking sessions were even held.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010

Sundae posted:

Not quite, but your final result is still 100% correct.

There was no open deviation/investigation because the team responsible for it (at this international site) hadn't opened the investigation in the system within 1 business day. Therefore, with nothing against it in the quality release check, it went out the door to a distribution warehouse. It never actually made it to patients thankfully, but it easily could have. The auditors caught this during a site inspection, made a big deal out of it because it is a big deal. Their reaction to it as a problem was 100% on point.

Now, that's where the lovely response from leadership comes into play. The procedure says 1 day to open the investigation, 3 days to classify severity. The problem here is that a known issue didn't have an investigation opened (which would've put the hold in place on the batch), not that it took 3+ days to classify severity. The network largely fails to consistently meet the 3 day classification window. It takes more than 3 days to get all the necessary people in the room with the data and review it all, get the writeup in place, get the zillion reviewers who have to sign off on the writeup to review it, etc etc. Standard bureaucratic nonsense on that part.

So in response to someone not opening an investigation in one day, we're now required to... classify investigations within one day. That doesn't even address the actual problem statement, let alone align with the data the metrics show.

Understood now. You need to beat up your QA head.

I've seen this be successful:
1 day to open investigation after date of discovery with an initial classification (you're not held to this, but it's to get something in the system to prevent the worst case)
3 days to reclassify it after you gather some initial data
30 days for investigation and final close/out with a final deposition of the issue and final classification.

I've initially classified things as critical, reclassified as major, then finally closed as a minor before.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

This is definitely not addressed to you but I get kinda tired of SA as an echo chamber for those who can’t be vulnerable. It’s okay that that’s true for them, it’s true for all of us at times, but know that about yourself and don’t discourage people facing genuine opportunities. Not every cloud means rain.

I agree completely. I am in particular trying to let OP know that

A) This will probably be a little bumpier than they seem to think it will be, which is ok but be prepared. The first year as a front line manager is maybe the hardest professional year for anybody. But it is a good opportunity.

B) Don't make large decisions like having their partner quite their job on the back of an interim title (though working closer to home seems like a good idea).

I do agree that SA in general gets very "This bad thing can happen so I'm going to speak as if it's the only possibility" and it is tiring.

PurpleLizardWizard
Jun 11, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

Purplelizardwizard the key question for me is: why are your bosses making you an interim manager rather than just giving you the job? It sounds like you're doing great in general but the interim position sounds like they're stalling for time while looking for someone else.

That being said, moving from IC to management can be a tough step to make and I would also go for it. I'd definitely ask why not the actual job, and also try and get some kind of commitment to a path and timing to the substantive position (while realising that is also meaningless).

I've been open about a minimum of six direct reports being a daunting prospect, and I've got a personality that's a bit, ehhhhhhh, fragile? Specifically, while I'm fine with criticism (and actively distrust the complete absence of it), I can't deal with being snapped at and shut down real hard. It's something that's thankfully never been triggered in my group, but I made some not-entirely-discrete inquiries on that front when they first started prepping me for the forecasting calls, since that would involve other groups. I've also caused a few headaches in the past by volunteering more than the bare minimum to auditors.

Counterbalancing the above, my outgoing manager made a point over the last two years of me playing a role in training new hires and made me the pseudo-manager for one of them (I oversee ~75% of her work). I've gotten strong feedback on my presentation skills being exemplary for my group, to the point that my soon-to-be manager literally told everyone else there, including managers, to be more like me. I've proven that when push comes to shove I can and will fight against bad requests.

So, while I'm an excellent IC, and I'd say I have definite potential for management that's under active cultivation, I'm not a clear-cut choice for this big a jump right now. I think an interim position is plenty justified.

Thank you for pointing out that I need to ask for a broad outline of criteria I'll be assessed by. That's something I don't think my soon-to-be manager would articulate well, and I'm going to have the best luck with that if I can get the two of them to discuss it before my outgoing manager's gone.

Eric the Mauve posted:

CFP: I said right at the beginning of the post you're objecting to that it's a great opportunity. But I personally know more than one person who was absolutely devastated when, after significant time in an Interim Manager role with polite noises being made to the effect it definitely probably maybe will become permament, someone else was hired and they were returned to being an IC. It feels like a demotion; it feels like your face being spat in when it happens. I think OP should be aware of the distinct possibilty and prepared to handle it rationally if it were to happen.

Yeaaaaah, if I feel like I'm doing fine I'm not going to handle it well if I get passed over. I'd get over it eventually if I felt the new manager was competent, but it'd definitely rankle training a replacement after half a year of effort. Especially since I'd most likely keep a quarter of the duties indefinitely.

Lockback posted:

I agree completely. I am in particular trying to let OP know that

A) This will probably be a little bumpier than they seem to think it will be, which is ok but be prepared. The first year as a front line manager is maybe the hardest professional year for anybody. But it is a good opportunity.

B) Don't make large decisions like having their partner quite their job on the back of an interim title (though working closer to home seems like a good idea).

I do agree that SA in general gets very "This bad thing can happen so I'm going to speak as if it's the only possibility" and it is tiring.

Ah, the benefits of written composure. I am actually super stressed about this change, and am expecting it to be a poo poo show. I'm just expecting it to be a poo poo show that's worth it at the end.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
When giving serious advice, better to err on the side of caution and give someone a happy surprise, than the other way around.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Atopian posted:

When giving serious advice, better to err on the side of caution and give someone a happy surprise, than the other way around.

Better to give good and accurate advice.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Sure, if you can. But "giving advice on the internet in response to a few short posts summarising the situation" is a procedure full of uncertainty.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

CarForumPoster posted:

Proving you can do the job as interim is completely normal in my experience and can benefit both parties. If he can’t or doesn’t want to do the job he doesn’t have a demotion on record. It’s perfectly okay to prefer IC work, personally I wouldn’t want to be a manager at many big companies.

The responses that the interim thing are some sort of trick when he’s currently team lead run totally counter to my experience where that’s how nearly all of the IC-> front line managers and IC->project managers did it.

I dunno where project managers come from but it's not from competent ICs, I suspect they just round random people up off the streets.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
We have Technical Program Managers where I'm at, they are usually ex ICs who wanted to get into inter-group knife fights but don't want the hassle of managing people.

The best ones are scary as hell

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

priznat posted:

We have Technical Program Managers where I'm at, they are usually ex ICs who wanted to get into inter-group knife fights but don't want the hassle of managing people.

Yeah, the best are ICs who were good technically but maybe had a ceiling and instead put points into their talky skills. I've worked with a couple really good Project Managers who didn't come from a technical path but were just really smart and that helps too.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

knox_harrington posted:

I dunno where project managers come from but it's not from competent ICs, I suspect they just round random people up off the streets.

At big defense co they just gave them yearly partial lobotomies until they could only moan earrrrrrrrrned vallllllue staaaatus meeeeting

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

priznat posted:

That's basically what I do! It helps that the end of my reporting chain (before it goes into the C-suite) is the longest-standing VP at the company and someone that everyone has a healthy fear of.

He's basically groomed me into his enforcer, and it rules. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

He's basically groomed me into his enforcer, and it rules. :getin:

Being the don's right hand man is cool right up until he leaves and his most powerful adversary takes their revenge out on the remnants of his power structure.