Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Actually now that I think about it, some SoH don't look the same. Loken was kind of different right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

AndyElusive posted:

Actually now that I think about it, some SoH don't look the same. Loken was kind of different right?

I mean, at least through the first two books of HH, only Little Horus is described as looking like Horus.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
For most of the legions isn't the whole "resemble your primarch" thing more like a "you look like your dad" rather than "we're actually twins" schtick the Alpha Legion have going on?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya but then also pre-heresy Abaddon was pretty Horusy-lookin even with his top knot, at least in most of the the images of him. While yeah, Little Horus was like literally a mini spitting image of the primarch.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Z the IVth posted:

For most of the legions isn't the whole "resemble your primarch" thing more like a "you look like your dad" rather than "we're actually twins" schtick the Alpha Legion have going on?

Yeah, some marines looked a lot like their primarch but most only sorta did and some geneseed was stronger in that way than the pthers. The SoH and Blood Angels tended to look a lot more like their primarchs than the other legions IIRC.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Poor, Magnus. He never has any sons who look like him.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

rantmo posted:

I mean, at least through the first two books of HH, only Little Horus is described as looking like Horus.

I'm pretty sure Loken describes in book 1 that it's considered good fortune to look like dad in the Luna wolves, and that happens more often in the LW than normal. Little horus aximand was the spitting image of horus rather than just resembling him like most do.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Eediot Jedi posted:

I'm pretty sure Loken describes in book 1 that it's considered good fortune to look like dad in the Luna wolves, and that happens more often in the LW than normal. Little horus aximand was the spitting image of horus rather than just resembling him like most do.

That does sound familiar now that you mention it.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

X-posting

quote:

I did it! I finally finished my Bombast conversion, I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, there are a couple major mistakes I made early on that I should have fixed, but didn't. I can live with that. The paintjob has got to be my all time best. I'm sure I could improve a lot more, but if I can paint the rest of the army at this quality I'll be very pleased. The pace is very slow though, but I know that will improve drastically as I go on. I'm much happier with the weathering/chipping on this, it feels much more in scale with the model than the basilisk I did.

There is so little ordnance battery kit in there I should have just bought a sprue on ebay. I'm also converting the rocket launcher though so it isn't too bad. That one is built, but not painted, I kept the conversion much simpler. I'll likely buy a sprue and make a second bombast for 40k, this turned out too good to just relegate to combat patrol only.

What first drew me to the Vostroyans was the striking Streltsy/Cossack in space aesthetic. The Bombast just doesn't match that at all, it would look far more at home on a FOB in Vietnam. I'm almost 100% sure the designer was looking at a M1 155mm Howitzer.

I wanted to keep the base gun itself, as those would be standard parts used across the imperium, but get as much else as I can to align with the Cossack aesthetics. The best place to go was late tsarist artillery, which led me to looking at details on the following gun.

I took everything off the bombast gun that looked out of place, got it up on new wheels, and (poorly) cut plasticard for the gun shield. The officer directing the crew is a major conversion itself, and the loader got his mortar turned into a shell. The guy on the ground is arming shells, because I didn't feel like converting him and I think he looks great as is. Plus, I rebored the barrel so it matched the diameter of shell supplied. I get that this is 40k, but c'mon, why doesn't the shell in the kit match the bore size of the gun? I like to keep my bases as minimalist as possible, so a single discarded shell casing must do all the work of implying action.

Ok, time to touch up the base rim.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Very :krad:.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Now I'm wondering how many people have full batteries of Modele 1897s in their IG armies.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
That cannon is amazing!

The paint job is really good too, though from a "realism" angle I would recommend painting the wheels to look either like bare metal/wood/rubber or a blot more worn where they touch the ground.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
That cannon's beautiful. I like the little touches like the wear on the barrel.

I've started my Space Marine army and bought the Deathwatch Combat Patrol as a starter and picked up a 10 man infernus squad. I'm thinking about picking up the Dark Angels Combat Patrol to pad things out while I'm waiting for GW to get their stock of Land Raider's back in.

I like the Chaplain, the Dreadnaught, and extra Intercessors but I'm lukewarm on the Inceptors and whether it's better to plasma them out for anti-character/anti vehicle squad or have another anti-infantry threat. It'll come down to personal choice but if they really are a poo poo unit then I might just grab the dread and chaplain separately.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Yo that cannon rules

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

This is sick I love it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Testikles posted:

That cannon's beautiful. I like the little touches like the wear on the barrel.

I've started my Space Marine army and bought the Deathwatch Combat Patrol as a starter and picked up a 10 man infernus squad. I'm thinking about picking up the Dark Angels Combat Patrol to pad things out while I'm waiting for GW to get their stock of Land Raider's back in.

I like the Chaplain, the Dreadnaught, and extra Intercessors but I'm lukewarm on the Inceptors and whether it's better to plasma them out for anti-character/anti vehicle squad or have another anti-infantry threat. It'll come down to personal choice but if they really are a poo poo unit then I might just grab the dread and chaplain separately.

Inceptors are quite literally one of the best units that SM have access to right now (and were pretty good in 9th too). Their ability to drop in within Lone Operative range and delete something makes them super good. Most SM lists run like at least 9 of them if not more.

The Intercessors are actually the crap unit that no one uses.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Good to know on the intecessors and on the kit. I think more people are doing heavy bolters on them? I can mull it over.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Inceptors are usually run with plasma afaik. Space Marines have better options for hordes and infantry, most notably at the moment running an Aggressor/Biologis combo in Gladius with Fire Discipline.

Plasma won’t survive very long but neither will bolters usually. They’re a cheap threat meant to mess with how your opponent moves because said opponent should know the inceptors can drop down basically anywhere.

Anyway with one box of inceptors, you literally can’t go wrong. Just do rule of cool and sort out what you like later.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm finally assembling my Levithan Ballistus Dreadnaught and it's so, so much easier than the Contemptor. If all mono pose models were also push fit I think I'd like them much more.

Edit - I don't even think it took twenty minutes, that's fantastic.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 2, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! Very encouraging.

Currently working on some Lord Solars out of the cities of sigmar cavaliers.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Warpsmith work in progress. First time free handing hazard strips, I think they came.out pretty good!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The Demilich posted:

Spent a hour yesterday finishing up my Disco Lord base:

Headshot closeup with some terrain detail:

What did you use for that head? It's adorable. :3:

Cooked Auto posted:

Another Heresy Thursday, another great count as Chaos Sorcerer. This time for your Black Legion army.

He disapproves hard.

This is a specific recurring character from the Horus Heresy novels, they just didn't stick his name (Argonis) on the label.

I enjoy spotting these things.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 2, 2023

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

X-posting from the mini thread.

Deathwatch Terminator Captain of the Imperial Fists:

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Hell yeah dude.

Putting the Deathwatch sigil inside the halo is so sick.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm finally assembling my Levithan Ballistus Dreadnaught and it's so, so much easier than the Contemptor. If all mono pose models were also push fit I think I'd like them much more.

Edit - I don't even think it took twenty minutes, that's fantastic.

I feel the same, I like the guided experience of mono-pose a lot of the time. That said I think that the best models are the ones they design to work either way, like the new 30k knight it has tabs to pose the legs in a set position, but they can be clipped to allow for more dynamic poses. Everyone wins!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Man I know it's been said before but buying used, built minis is such a shitshow. Bought six built, unpainted Votann bikes and 2 of them have their steering columns completely detached from the bike, floating in the air and another 2 have their heavy weapons similarly floating in the air because whoever built them didn't read the instructions and didn't see that you're supposed to sandwich the mount on the bike with both pieces of the cannon.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
fixing people's busted-rear end second-hand stuff is half of my kitbash inspiration, though

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I love buying crap off eBay and giving the models a good paint job (excellent DW as always, Andy!).

Lore question: the Death Guard don’t maintain their equipment or armor. Why not? Isn’t this a functionality issue, or does Grandpa make up for it with blessings?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

fixing people's busted-rear end second-hand stuff is half of my kitbash inspiration, though

I still need to figure out how to fix my Dark Elf assassin ankle issues.
I'll get back to it... someday. :v:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Professor Shark posted:

I love buying crap off eBay and giving the models a good paint job (excellent DW as always, Andy!).

Lore question: the Death Guard don’t maintain their equipment or armor. Why not? Isn’t this a functionality issue, or does Grandpa make up for it with blessings?

In "current" 40k it's papa Nurgle doing it.

But it's their deal going back to even before meeting Mortarion. The pre-heresy bone colour wasn't heraldry, it's supposed to be the base colour of unpainted ceramite. They swapped from red trim to green for their minimal decorations when they found their dad, foreshadowing nothing, nothing at all

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Man 170 points for Genestealers, that seems a little high or am I wrong.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

They're not great and being a suboptimal choice for genestealer cult feels particularly damning

I still love my 4 armed boys

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Mazed posted:

It's the head of a Armiger (baby knight) along with what looks like some kind of Chaos shoulderpad I don't recognize.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Could I please get some feedback on the following list?

I'd have to buy more infantry, but this list really excites me. The Vostroyans have all those lovely bayonets, it would be such a shame to just hang back and shoot.

The two big bricks of catachans would have the pair of non-warlord command squads, plus the preachers. They would move forwards to seize objectives and charge enemy infantry as fast as possible. The command squad with the warlord would be attached to the infantry squad and hold my backfield. The warlord has grand strategist so it can issue orders to the bombast, all while laying down some lascannon fire. Rough Riders would function as counter-chargers to help the catachans with anything they can't handle. The Dorn will hunt tanks/monsters, and generally deal with problems no one else can solve.

Is melee guard insane?

I'd probably want to trade the Ordnance Battery for an Earthshaker, but I have that sweet bombast and want to use it, even if it means making another one. Also the FW kit is pricey. Also it is a massive piece of resin, I can only imagine how wet-noodled the barrel would be.

CHARACTER

Platoon Command Squad (75pts)
• 1x Platoon Commander
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Power Weapon
• 1x Plasma Pistol
• 1x Grand Strategist
• 3x Veteran Guardsman
• 3x Laspistol
• 3x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Lascannon
• 2x Lasgun
• 1x Master Vox

Platoon Command Squad (60pts)
• 1x Platoon Commander
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Power Weapon
• 1x Plasma Pistol
• 4x Veteran Guardsman
• 4x Close Combat Weapon
• 4x Laspistol
• 1x Plasma Gun
• 3x Lasgun
• 1x Regimental Standard
• 1x Master Vox
• 1x Medi-pack

Platoon Command Squad (60pts)
• 1x Platoon Commander
• 1x Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Power Weapon
• 1x Plasma Pistol
• 4x Veteran Guardsman
• 4x Close Combat Weapon
• 4x Laspistol
• 1x Plasma Gun
• 3x Lasgun
• 1x Regimental Standard
• 1x Master Vox
• 1x Medi-pack

Regimental Preacher (35pts)
• 1x Holy pistol and Power Weapon
• 1x Holy Pistol
• 1x Power Weapon

Regimental Preacher (35pts)
• 1x Holy pistol and Power Weapon
• 1x Holy Pistol
• 1x Power Weapon

BATTLELINE

Catachan Jungle Fighters (110pts)
• 1x Jungle Fighter Sergeants and 18 Jungle Fighters
• 2x Laspistol
• 20x Close Combat Weapon
• 18x Lasgun

Catachan Jungle Fighters (110pts)
• 1x Jungle Fighter Sergeants and 18 Jungle Fighters
• 2x Laspistol
• 20x Close Combat Weapon
• 18x Lasgun

Infantry Squad (60pts)
• 1x Sergeant, 7 Guardsmen and 1 Heavy Weapons Team
• 2x Laspistol
• 9x Close Combat Weapon
• 6x Lasgun
• 1x Lascannon
• 1x Plasma Gun

OTHER DATASHEETS

Field Ordnance Battery (120pts)
• 2x Ordnance Teams
• 1x Battery Close Combat Weapons
• 1x Lasgun
• 1x Laspistol
• 1x Bombast Field Gun

Attilan Rough Riders (70pts)
• 1x Attilan Rough Rider
• 1x Laspistol
• 1x Lasgun
• 1x Goad Lance
• 1x Steed's Hooves
• 3x Attilan Rough Rider
• 1x Laspistol
• 1x Lasgun
• 1x Hunting Lance
• 1x Steed's Hooves
• 1x Rough Rider Sergeant
• 1x Power Sabre
• 1x Lasgun
• 1x Laspistol
• 1x Steed's Hooves
• 1x Hunting Lance

Rogal Dorn Battle Tank (260pts)
• 1x 2 Additional Heavy Stubbers
• 2x Heavy Stubber
• 1x 2 Heavy Bolters
• 2x Heavy Bolter
• 1x Armoured tracks
• 1x Castigator Gatling Cannon
• 1x Heavy Stubber
• 1x Oppressor Cannon and Co-axial Autocannon
• 1x Co-axial Autocannon
• 1x Oppressor Cannon

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Put Flamers in the catachan units because why not?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

BadLlama posted:

Put Flamers in the catachan units because why not?

oh poo poo, of course, I forgot to check those boxes.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Mazed posted:

Geisladisk posted:

It's the head of a Armiger (baby knight) along with what looks like some kind of Chaos shoulderpad I don't recognize.

It's an Armiger/Moirax head/faceplate!
The other bit surrounding the face is the Lord Discordant head armor piece that wraps around the default bug maw that it comes with.
There's also a bunch of cabling (that's not very visible in the pic) underneath the head and behind the crown and that's all greenstuff cables.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Finished the base for my tiny Shadowsword today.

And a shot of the base itself for good measure.

Used filler instead of greenstuff and it took me a couple of attempts to get it right, especially when the plasticard curb raised things high enough to not make the roller do an imprint.
Even then it smeared because it was a bit too wet, but that got just turned into battle damage.
On the plus side, a helluva lot easier to clean up than using putty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Axetrain posted:

Man 170 points for Genestealers, that seems a little high or am I wrong.

Vanguard Assault gives them some gas but I guess we'll see if GW swings the pendulum back to a more moderate rebalancing after last quarter's balance slate/point update went a bit heavy on the Nids in anticipation of their fresh new codex (and the fact that the accompanying nerfs to Eldar might have opened up a power vacuum for them to fill in) giving them too much zazz.

My poor Tyrannofex, shot in both knees and left behind while people just jam Exocrines now