Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rinkles posted:

Where does Windows even show the battery level?

Task tray in bottom right. Also, in the devices screen in the settings app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kibner posted:

Task tray in bottom right.

Is that new? I never saw that.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

you can also press the xbox button and it will show the battery percentage on a mini taskbar, took me years to figure that out

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

halokiller posted:

you can also press the xbox button and it will show the battery percentage on a mini taskbar, took me years to figure that out

Crysis put that poo poo in the HUD, what a game ahead of its time

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Hey goon that wanted a small as gently caress mouse:

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-m4-wireless-mouse

Like half the size of the GPX, 35g, $49.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

neat it's like the HSK except not ludicrously expensive

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Neat the 4k polling one is in stock in white.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Humerus posted:

Hey goon that wanted a small as gently caress mouse:

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-m4-wireless-mouse

Like half the size of the GPX, 35g, $49.

Cool, thanks, will keep an eye out for it next time around. I'm pretty happy with the GPX now (actually prefer it over the smaller but heavier Asus) after getting used to the shape.

Is 4000 hz a meaningful upgrade vs 1000?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

PirateBob posted:

Doubtful. Maybe at 4k.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

counterpoint: their 4khz dongle looks funny

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kibner posted:

Doubtful. Maybe at 4k.

Screen resolution and mouse polling rate aren't related at all.

Polling rate and screen refresh rate might have some correlation (closer sync of movement to screen update), but 1000 hz already well faster than the fastest screen refresh.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Klyith posted:

Screen resolution and mouse polling rate aren't related at all.

Polling rate and screen refresh rate might have some correlation (closer sync of movement to screen update), but 1000 hz already well faster than the fastest screen refresh.

Oh, whoops. I was reading that as dpi and not hz. :v:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

PirateBob posted:

People will tell you based on theory that no, it isn't.

Just watching a high speed video of a mouse cursor being moved at various polling rates will demonstrate that you can clearly observe significant improvements on 240 and 360hz displays up to at least 8000hz, and I expect there is some small but real and potentially meaningful benefit even at lower refresh rates.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

K8.0 posted:

People will tell you based on theory that no, it isn't.

Just watching a high speed video of a mouse cursor being moved at various polling rates will demonstrate that you can clearly observe significant improvements on 240 and 360hz displays up to at least 8000hz, and I expect there is some small but real and potentially meaningful benefit even at lower refresh rates.

I can definitely tell the difference between 1000Hz and 2000Hz on my mouse but it's pretty minor and I assume most people wouldn't notice. Also I feel like Keychron's strategy is to just use the same internals while changing the mouse shape, which actually rocks

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i would look at a mouse's tested input latency at reputable sites and completely ignore the polling hz:
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tests/control/latency
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tests/control/sensor-latency

the polling hz should just be seen as a mechanism to reduce input lag. the smoothness of the mouse on high speed camera doesn't matter if some 1000 hz mouse has significantly better input lag. also, remember some games perform horribly with > 1000 hz polling.

shaving 1-3ms is a very tiny factor overall in aiming and not something that should be described as "meaningful" unless you are looking for every single possible edge and have exhausted all of the low hanging fruit to improving your aim.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

comedyblissoption posted:

i would look at a mouse's tested input latency at reputable sites and completely ignore the polling hz:
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tests/control/latency
https://www.rtings.com/mouse/tests/control/sensor-latency

the polling hz should just be seen as a mechanism to reduce input lag. the smoothness of the mouse on high speed camera doesn't matter if some 1000 hz mouse has significantly better input lag. also, remember some games perform horribly with > 1000 hz polling.

shaving 1-3ms is a very tiny factor overall in aiming and not something that should be described as "meaningful" unless you are looking for every single possible edge and have exhausted all of the low hanging fruit to improving your aim.

Despite this, I am kinda liking the design and specs of the Pwnage StormBreaker (but hate the name): https://pwnage.com/products/stormbreaker?variant=42194765545663

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Kibner posted:

Despite this, I am kinda liking the design and specs of the Pwnage StormBreaker (but hate the name): https://pwnage.com/products/stormbreaker?variant=42194765545663

Have 2 of em.
My nacho custom is great.
My blue one was a quality control nightmare.

Customer support is "meh". Expect long delays and slow turn arounds.

If you buy one now. Make sure its a recently restocked color. If you get an old shelved one like I did, theres a good chance you'll have QC issues.

Also theres issues with the newest software and some people are bricking the dongles apparently? Idk. I'm back on old software and staying with 2k polling.

I love the mouse. But don't buy magnesium unless you're ready to rip the thing apart and tinker.

change my name posted:

I can definitely tell the difference between 1000Hz and 2000Hz on my mouse but it's pretty minor and I assume most people wouldn't notice. Also I feel like Keychron's strategy is to just use the same internals while changing the mouse shape, which actually rocks

Same. That jump I noticed. The 4k jump I can't tell the dif other than my battery getting murdered. I stay on 2k. I also only run 144hz so theres that too. Lots of that poo poo comes down to refresh/frame rate.

When you're min/maxing tho, thats a solid improvement.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 1, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I do like tinkering as long as it isn’t a thing where I have to spend hours looking up confusing instructions or guides to do what should be simple things. I’m getting enough of that with my venture into learning professional networking stuff.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I agree it's far from the only factor worth considering, well down the list, but OP was asking about a mouse that comes in 1k and 4k versions. In that case the 4k version is just extra performance unless you only care about games that freak out above 1k.

Most people would see a far bigger benefit from simply turning up DPI and turning down sensitivity. People still playing on 800 DPI are holding themselves back. It's very significant IMO, go to 6400 DPI and 1/8 windows sens and you can feel the difference on the desktop, never mind in games.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 1, 2023

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

K8.0 posted:

Most people would see a far bigger benefit from simply turning up DPI and turning down sensitivity. People still playing on 800 DPI are holding themselves back. It's very significant IMO, go to 6400 DPI and 1/8 windows sens and you can feel the difference on the desktop, never mind in games.

Its impossible to run anything higher than 800dpi for me and keep a 50cm or so 360 and keep it consistent across the board.

Some games read raw DPI and there isn't poo poo you can do about it. Christ some games I have to dive down to 400.

I used to run higher DPI and lower sensitivity other places and tbqh I can't feel an actual difference. I felt more moving from 1k polling to 2k polling than I ever did with DPI adjustments.

DPI has been horse poo poo for a while. Its a marketing bullet point.

Kibner posted:

I do like tinkering as long as it isn’t a thing where I have to spend hours looking up confusing instructions or guides to do what should be simple things. I’m getting enough of that with my venture into learning professional networking stuff.

Nah its a mouse. Most of the poo poo you'll tinker with are the mylar pads or dots for the plungers or whatever. Its nothing confusing you just have to be careful taking it apart so you don't yank out the ribbon cable for the thumb buttons.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

EbolaIvory posted:

DPI has been horse poo poo for a while. Its a marketing bullet point.

CPI is not just useful for marketing, although numbers in the tens of thousands seem to be. Go look at the rtings sensor latency CPI graph for any mouse.

Like any single synthetic test of something so complicated, their test is imperfect. On extremely quick and sharp movements the latency benefit will probably be lower than the numbers they show, but on stuff like adapting tracking movements the benefit can be larger as well.

I would look to see if you can set lower sens through config editing. A lot of the time you can get more precise that way, and it makes running higher DPI more viable.

Mostly though, a lot of developers need to be slapped around until they start building their input around people with sane real physical sensitivities and not whatever hypothetical insane person wants a 3mm 360 at 3200 DPI with the in-game slider maxed out.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

oh yah totally. people can cut 20-40ms even with a good rig by just changing around some mouse/video settings if they've never optimized them before which is actually pretty significant for all levels of play.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

K8.0 posted:

I would look to see if you can set lower sens through config editing. A lot of the time you can get more precise that way, and it makes running higher DPI more viable.

Not my first rodeo and to be clear I'm a min/maxing FPS game sweat. My entire setup is built around movement shooters and low sensitivity.

Its impossible to run high DPI in some titles purely from the standpoint of being able to actually play the game. I have to dive down to like 400 for the sniper elite games if I remember correctly.

This debate has been a thing forever. Low sensitivity players ain't running high DPI. We can't.

TL:DR Of the entire debate.

Its preference and a marketing bullet point for mouse companies.

Me moving from 800 dpi to 1600 dpi isn't going to increase anything for me in a min/max scenario. Nor is moving up to some obnoxious advertised 16k whatever.

The good thing about high DPI sensors though is at lower DPI they are more accurate than lower quality sensors at the same DPI.

Seriously. I felt a bigger jump moving up in polling rates than I ever did with DPI. I used to be one of those psychopaths who ran 6k/8k DPI then dove everything down to get it "low enough" in a lot of titles. Straight up can't tell a difference between 800 and 8k outside of its hard as gently caress to get 8k dialed in.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 1, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

oh yah totally. people can cut 20-40ms even with a good rig by just changing around some mouse/video settings if they've never optimized them before which is actually pretty significant for all levels of play.

Out of curiosity, what would those settings be?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if you're someone who's looked into it, it'll be pretty obvious. writing this all up since I'm gonna have to infodump a friend new to PC soon.

these are the input lag reducing settings I recommend. all of the settings have actually had A/B input lag tests done by blurbusters, battlenonsense, etc. and not based on trust-me-bro superstition:
code:
- nvidia control panel:
  - g-sync: off
  - low latency: on [irrelevant with reflex]
  - preferred refresh rate: highest available
  - v-sync: off
  - background application max framerate: off
  - max framerate: off
- do not use out-of-game frame limiters/caps. only use in-game.
- in-game:
  - nvidia reflex: on
    - if this is not available, set in-game frame limit to significantly below 99% gpu usage which causes gpu backpressure and massive input lag
    - if this is available, just uncap your frame rate
    - the amd version is called anti-lag+ and set up in the amd software
  - display mode: exclusive fullscreen
  - obviously ensure your highest monitor refresh rate is on
  - obviously use the lowest graphics settings at the fidelity that makes sense for higher fps and less input lag
    - you can increase graphics fidelity if your cpu is the main bottleneck (i.e. your cpu is at 99-100% and your gpu is well below)
- windows game mode on
- obviously don't forget to set up your RAM's stable overclock settings in the bios
- set mouse dpi to 1600-3200 or higher
  - will need to reduce if the game doesn't let you configure your preferred sens with high dpi
  - adjust windows desktop sensitivity to something comfortable that won't feel crazy for in-game menus and inventory management
- kill everything in the background you don't need
if you're trying to use g-sync/adaptive-sync/vrr, use the settings here:
https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14

i condensed it down into these additional overriding settings for general normal power usage if you are trying to eliminate tearing:
code:
- nvidia control panel:
  - g-sync: on
  - v-sync: on
- in-game:
  - nvidia reflex: on
    - if this is not available, set in-game frame limit to significantly below 99% gpu usage which causes gpu backpressure and massive input lag
  - fps-limit: 3 below monitor refresh rate
- consider turning on mprt-sync/anti-blur strobing if your monitor has it if you play a fast-paced game
  - this introduces some input lag but the blur reduction benefits can outweigh it
I haven't seen any A/B test on these but I also disable any type of overlays like nvidia, xbox, discord, etc.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

you can think of dpi as setting the amount of evenly spaced dots per inch over your mousepad. if the spacing between dots is narrower because there are more of them, the faster your mouse will reach its next input and thus the lower the input latency.

it's not that relevant for fast flicks, but for tracking motions (e.g. ~4 inches/second) it's dramatic under test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AoRfv9W110

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 2, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks! That seemed to be mostly stuff I was already doing or aware of, so I wasn't missing out on anything. The only thing that wasn't mentioned in there was Enhanced Sync for AMD. I might have to look into that later since it does increase my PQ a lot on a monitor that doesn't support FreeSync.

e: the propaganda article on it: https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming/reintroducing-amd-enhanced-sync/ba-p/544484

quote:

With Enhanced Sync enabled, it allows the game to run without capping frames while also lowering the chance for screen tearing. To do so, when the monitor needs to sync with a new frame in-game, the most recently completed frame would be displayed on screen while also dropping older unneeded frames, which leads to improved responsiveness and reduced input lag as well.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 2, 2023

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

you can think of dpi as setting the amount of evenly spaced dots per inch over your mousepad. if the spacing between dots is narrower because there are more of them, the faster your mouse will reach its next input and thus the lower the input latency.

it's not that relevant for fast flicks, but for slower tracking motions (e.g. 0.4 inches/second) it's dramatic under test:

That video and the charts in it, basically say 800dpi master race. Diminishing returns and all that. Like every chart for the most part shows that anything beyond 800 is absolutely within error range when it comes to latency. And thats with 1 mouse and 1 sensor and 1 dongle.

Theres a reason a lot of pros stick with 800 folks. Theres a reason I went back down to it. You can SLIGHTLY argue 1600 or whatever but beyond that there isn't any actual gain and those gains at 1600 are within testing error margins and all that poo poo.

Its like the whole EDPI debates and poo poo. Its useless fluff 99% of the time.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 2, 2023

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Kibner posted:

Thanks! That seemed to be mostly stuff I was already doing or aware of, so I wasn't missing out on anything. The only thing that wasn't mentioned in there was Enhanced Sync for AMD. I might have to look into that later since it does increase my PQ a lot on a monitor that doesn't support FreeSync.

e: the propaganda article on it: https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming/reintroducing-amd-enhanced-sync/ba-p/544484
oh yeah that's definitely something to look into. i kind of discounted it b/c battlenonsense did a vid on it and said fast sync [the nvidia version] for him personally introduced a bunch of stuttering at the time and he recommended against it. the very nature of how fast sync works is going to cause weird frame pacing issues, so it may be inherent. maybe they improved it since that video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L07t_mY2LEU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

EbolaIvory posted:

800dpi master race. Diminishing returns and all that.
you're absolutely right it doesn't matter that much once you are at 800 dpi

but I see it as like a free $0 input latency reduction for slow tracking tasks. it's just like a why not type thing.

you can actually measure the input latency from dpi just like with a monitor refresh rate. at far distances trying to track a target at like 0.25 inches/second is common. this is 200 dots per second at 800 dpi, so that is 5ms of input latency. you can halve or quarter this by just bumping up the dpi. the slower the tracking the more dramatic the effect.

edit: another thought I had is that higher dpi is more important the faster your effective sensitivity, since you are going to be physically moving the mouse slower when tracking targets. conversely, higher dpi is not as important for lower effective sensitivities since you are tracking much faster physically on the mousepad.

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 2, 2023

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

but I see it as like a free $0 input latency reduction for slow tracking tasks. it's just like a why not type thing.

Because its annoying as gently caress when you actually play games with your mouse and the game reads raw DPI with no option to read windows sensitivity so you have to go into your software and dive the poo poo down with however many applications that do that poo poo. Its really not uncommon sadly. Happens more with console ports than anything but its common enough in general. And having to jump through those hoops means its not free. Its also a fraction of a ms in most cases moving beyond 800dpi. And every mouse I own defaults 800dpi out the box.

It wasn't until recently did I realize that chasing high DPI was foolish beyond 800dpi. Like look, I'm a min/max sweaty rear end fps gamer. If it actually was worth it, i'd be doing it. At least as far as FPS gaming and poo poo goes.

edit: another thought I had is that higher dpi is more important the faster your effective sensitivity, since you are going to be physically moving the mouse slower when tracking targets. conversely, higher dpi is not as important for lower effective sensitivities since you are tracking much faster physically on the mousepad.

This starts falling into EDPI talk and EDPI isn't a thing.

Higher DPI isn't as important as polling rates. Polling rates and higher dpi both have massive drop offs after certain points. DPI being 800, Polling rates being semi tied to your fps/refresh rate but after around 2k things start to drop off outside of edge case/extreme high end builds pushing insane framerates.

you can actually measure the input latency from dpi just like with a monitor refresh rate. at far distances trying to track a target at like 0.25 inches/second is common. this is 200 dots per second at 800 dpi, so that is 5ms of input latency. you can halve or quarter this by just bumping up the dpi. the slower the tracking the more dramatic the effect.

I don't halve my latency by going to 1600dpi. I have no idea where you're getting that math. Thats not how it works. No amount of moving up in DPI from 800 is going to make a 5ms latency 2.5ms.

Now if you're saying I can halve it by like, moving beyond 1600. What DPI are you suggesting? Because the video we all just watched basically says theres no point beyond 800. Realistically.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 2, 2023

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

EbolaIvory posted:

Now if you're saying I can halve it by like, moving beyond 1600. What DPI are you suggesting? Because the video we all just watched basically says theres no point beyond 800. Realistically.
his "slow" example in the video was 4 inches/second, which is still pretty fast and he still found a measurable difference. his commentary in the video was he wished he could measure with slower consistent speeds but his setup did not allow this. 3200 is probably Good Enough if you use like 20-35cm/360. slower sensitivities 1600 is probably good enough.

it's common to move the mouse physically much slower than that, so any input latency difference is going to be magnified.

the input latency comes from the mouse having to physically move from 1 "dot" on the mousepad to the next "dot" for an input. at 800 dpi, there are 800 of these dots in an inch. if you increase the number of dots in this inch, the mouse has to physically move less to get to the next dot. the amount of input latency scales linearly with the speed of the mouse movement and the number of dots per inch.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

the input latency comes from the mouse having to physically move from 1 "dot" on the mousepad to the next "dot" for an input. at 800 dpi, there are 800 of these dots in an inch. if you increase the number of dots in this inch, the mouse has to physically move less to get to the next dot. the amount of input latency scales linearly with the speed of the mouse movement and the number of dots per inch.

Beyond 800 DPI there isn't a point for latency. 1600 can be arguable in some cases simply because there is a small gain in upwards of 1ms depending on the device. Thats the end of it. Thats the ted talk. Its literally that simple.

I think I'm gonna stop going back and forth because it feels like you're trying to mansplain DPI and we are way beyond the definition of DPI.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 2, 2023

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i think we might actually agree.

to clarify, to get to a specific point on the mousepad and see it reflected on the screen, there should be a 0ms input lag difference between 100 dpi and 25000 dpi.

but to see a physical change in the mousepad physically represented on the screen as you move to that specific point? higher dpi will show physical changes sooner and at a faster rate on the screen.

so it's weird. dpi changes input lag and it also doesn't change input lag.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
In virtually all cases there is zero difference because you are moving more than one DPI unit per update.

So lets say I move my mouse 6 inches left over 0.2 seconds, and it's got 500hz poll rate. That means we have 100 updates. In an update from the middle of the movement, the 800 DPI mouse says "I moved 48 units left". The 3200 DPI mouse says "I moved 192 units left".* If sensitivity in the OS / game were set exactly the same, these two updates would produce the exact same movement of cursor / aim point.

The 3200 DPI mouse does not report 4 times as fast, because it is limited by poll rate. Therefore it can't have better latency. It does report with 4 times as much accuracy, but for that to be of any use you need to have under 30 microns of movement control (you do not).

Assuming the lower DPI is not a degenerate case -- so low that it misses updates entirely -- there is no latency difference.

There is one exception: the first update. Optical mice have a minimum threshold for movement, because otherwise they'd never go idle / your PC would never power save. Even a standard DPI mouse is too sensitive to tiny disturbances to not do this.

That is why this is why this test:

it's not that relevant for fast flicks, but for tracking motions (e.g. ~4 inches/second) it's dramatic under test:
shows a measurable difference. It's measuring the start of movement from a standstill.

* 6 inches * DPI / 100 updates ... except the actual data packet won't be 48 or 192, afaik mouse reports still use scaling based on the old PS2 standard of 1 unit = 1mm

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

that's a good explanation.

actually input lag is probably a bad term then here.

a better description is higher dpi is inserting more mouse inputs to provide a smoother visual stream for the mouse movement, and this effect becomes more pronounced the slower your physical mouse movement in inches per second.

you are seeing certain types of motions sooner in a sense because you are seeing inputs that would otherwise not exist, but it's not really input lag reduction in the way getting higher fps on a monitor reduces input lag.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

you are seeing certain types of motions sooner in a sense because you are seeing inputs that would otherwise not exist

Theoretically.

But why don't you try it. Set your mouse down to 800 DPI, or even 400. Don't change the OS sensitivity or anything (so this will be easy to undo).

Using your normal grip, can you move your mouse such that the cursor does not move a pixel? How tiny is that movement? Do you think that movements that fine rally matter for sweaty gaming? A mouse sensor has vastly more resolution than you have control.

High DPI has a problem of its own: mouse movement sent to the PC have a range of -127 to +127, so if you move fast enough to hit the upper bound your tracking is inaccurate. This was a real problem back in the day, but high polling rate largely solves it. (2x as many reports = each report covers half the distance = have to move twice as fast to max out the number)

All this poo poo is measurable, but I'd bet large amounts of money that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 800 and 3200 DPI on 2 machines with settings adjusted to produce equal cursor / aim sensitivity.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

you'd ultimately need a blind experiment to verify if people can tell the difference. you may very well be right it's actually imperceptible and just perception bias, but anecdotally higher dpi feels smoother.

the math does suggest even 800 dpi could cause perceptible issues. if you were to move say 1/8th an inch per second of tracking, that's 100 quantized dots of updates per second at 800 dpi. the static scenery and visual camera motion as you are moving the mouse then only renders the angle changes of your motion at 100 fps.

i suspect those subpixels do matter to render a panning scene more smoothly. game engines like counter-strike will quantize the internal angle headings you are allowed to turn to minimum steps based on your sensitivity, and these angles can be "between" pixels. higher dpi lets you quantize to a higher fidelity, and so a panning scene can render these in-betweens that you would not get on a lower dpi. the higher the resolution the more this can matter. this would be one of those < 0.1% mattering factors, of course.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Klyith posted:

All this poo poo is measurable, but I'd bet large amounts of money that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 800 and 3200 DPI on 2 machines with settings adjusted to produce equal cursor / aim sensitivity.

If you set the windows desktop and game stuff to the exact cm per 360 nobody could tell a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

My understanding is it's more of a function of having enough dpi to cover your sensitivity, resolution and fov. If you will experience will pixel skipping or not is the most tangible feeling. Which in practice isn't a huge deal unless you run a low fov, a high sensitivity and a high resolution.