Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

cars loving suck now. its brutal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Cars, TVs, most home appliances -- These all suck so loving much.

There *must* be a market for making [thing] that isn't dogshit. I've said it before in this here thread, but you could charge me an extra $500 for a TV with ZERO smart 'feature' and I'd buy it for the privilege of not having to deal with software.

This exists to some degree - Bosch Dishwashers, Miele stoves, etc. but that market is very narrow in some places (appliances) and actually doesn't exist in others (TVs).

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

cars suck now, for the most part, due to compliance with government regulations. mandates for minimum crash safety metrics and "smart" features like lanekeeping and backup cameras have made modern cars heavy, expensive to build and complex in their maintenance. all in an effort to make it so the driver has to be less and less attentive and can feel free to crash their car whenever because they (the occupant, certainly not pedestrians or cyclists) will be safe. couple that weight with mandates for minimum fuel efficiency + emissions standards and you have all sorts of wacky tricks to meet those requirements. turbochargers on every engine, more complex engine management, etc.

they've advanced automotive efficiency technology in some ways but ultimately these bloated expensive pieces of poo poo are even worse for society, even if they're "better" for motorists

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's time to get rid of cars

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Age of the Segway is upon us!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I use public transportation whenever I can and every time I tell someone that I commute on the train or the bus or whatever they immediately start apologizing and telling me how awful that is. But really it's just time that I get to sit undisturbed and turn my brain off while I read or listen to music and watch the city pass by and it kind of owns. I do a lot of good thinking & writing on the bus/train.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Cars, TVs, most home appliances -- These all suck so loving much.

There *must* be a market for making [thing] that isn't dogshit. I've said it before in this here thread, but you could charge me an extra $500 for a TV with ZERO smart 'feature' and I'd buy it for the privilege of not having to deal with software.

This exists to some degree - Bosch Dishwashers, Miele stoves, etc. but that market is very narrow in some places (appliances) and actually doesn't exist in others (TVs).

Just calling out, I got an Insignia 'dumb' TV from Best Buy for Black Friday - it was down to $130, normally $170. It's nothing amazing, just a 1080p LED screen, but it works fine. Better than the smart tvs I've used, it starts up right away.

I also found an Insignia CD player boombox while there. Like, new in box, for 2023. For all your...CDs you buy, in 2023.

Insignia is almost single-handedly holding up the old electronics market lol

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Anyway they're doing this bc then they sell advertising on these devices. They're phasing out devices that DON'T advertise at you because to these companies, leaving that advertising stream of revenue behind is folly. And they don't want you to have access to devices that can't advertise at you or their whole system falls apart. They've basically made the deals with the advertisers by promising that people won't have a choice of escaping, and they can only make that real by giving people no chance of escape. Eventually, probably sooner than we think, they wont sell 'dumb' devices and we'll all be googling ways to destroy the TV screen in our fridge without bricking the thing.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i actually think dumb tvs have slightly trended up over the years you just got to look up stuff that isnt the big named brands.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Just don't connect your tv to WiFi. I did it once to update my Bravia and then I turned it off

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Just calling out, I got an Insignia 'dumb' TV from Best Buy for Black Friday - it was down to $130, normally $170. It's nothing amazing, just a 1080p LED screen, but it works fine. Better than the smart tvs I've used, it starts up right away.

I also found an Insignia CD player boombox while there. Like, new in box, for 2023. For all your...CDs you buy, in 2023.

I guess for me personally, I want a nice panel attached to the dumbest controller possible. The dumb TVs that do exist don't really have nice panels attached to them :(.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah to get the nice panels you have to search for, like, commercial display screens (think the sorts of screens that display menus for fast food places), which are $$ bc of the market they're for.

Funka
Jan 4, 2006
Has this one not been posted yet? I'll post it again anyways https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/01/unauthorized-bread-a-near-future-tale-of-refugees-and-sinister-iot-appliances/

Also,

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You should be able to call south east Asia directly and get a TV. Or wherever they are made

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm making a change.org petition to get rid of cars RIGHT NOW!

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, if you buy an IoT anything, you kinda deserve all the bullshit that comes with it. It's the most obvious grift in the world combined with a privacy nightmare, so Iunno what to tell you. When your SMART TOASTER rejects loving bread, it's kinda on you for buying such a stupid device to begin with...

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I got a replacement credit card so the subscription expired on my IoT lightbulbs due to non payment and I fell down the stairs in the dark halp plz

fake edit: as evil as subscription services are I'm really struggling to understand why anyone could possibly give a poo poo about starting your car from anywhere but in your car. Warming up cars hasn't been a thing since like the 70s

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I got a replacement credit card so the subscription expired on my IoT lightbulbs due to non payment and I fell down the stairs in the dark halp plz

fake edit: as evil as subscription services are I'm really struggling to understand why anyone could possibly give a poo poo about starting your car from anywhere but in your car. Warming up cars hasn't been a thing since like the 70s

It's for people who live in a place where winter is serious business.

Not that I necessarily agree that they should do this but that is the use case.

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010

I live in AZ and if the car is parked anywhere outside half the year its absolutely miserable getting into the car. Letting it cool for a few minutes before you arrive is nice. Not anywhere near nice enough to pay a subscription for, though.

I imagine the same is true in reverse in places like Minnesota, less about warming up the engine, and more about making the interior of the car not feel like death when you first get in.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

skooma512 posted:

It's for people who live in a place where winter is serious business.

Not that I necessarily agree that they should do this but that is the use case.

i mean its nice to have a warm cabin to step into, but imo its better to minmax winter driving with winter tires and an engine block warmer

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
If it's like seriously cold it's not a terrible idea to let the car idle for a few minutes, but look, man invented coats and gloves for a reason, just turn the key and go back inside you big baby. Or brush the snow off the car.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah, people have been saying you can't buy a dumb TV for years and maybe it'll be true some day but it isn't yet. Maybe what they mean is "you can't buy a dumb tv [with all of these performance parameters I want to hit]", idk.

Smart TVs do suck poo poo though. It's sort of incredible how like 80% of all consumer good were just objectively better 20 years ago.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rochallor posted:

If it's like seriously cold it's not a terrible idea to let the car idle for a few minutes, but look, man invented coats and gloves for a reason, just turn the key and go back inside you big baby. Or brush the snow off the car.

lol this. Cars are making us soft! Think of your ancestors!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Rochallor posted:

Yeah I was going to respond with something like "oh no imagine enduring all of a minute to a minute and a half of sub optimal temperatures" but let's be real here, these guys are remote starting their car while still in bed hitting snooze twelve times and letting the car idle for 45 minutes

If you live in Phoenix I feel for you but also please move out of that literal hell on earth. There's nothing there of any value and it's not fit for human habitation.

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010
My remote start only runs for 5 minutes until turning off. I think its configurable but its not indefinite.

I also sleep in my car on camping trips and its kind of nice to hit the start from inside the cocoon of a sleeping bag so the cabin warms up enough to get dressed

Really its more of a luxury than anything else, which is probably why they're trying to paywall it

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

My gf has cold urticaria and all the trim levels that have seat warmers so she doesn’t break out into hives are leather which also gets really cold so I had to get remote start for her so she could warm it up

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I can't tell if it's confirmation bias, but the way people are driving lately around me makes me believe this more than ever.

Just last night when I was crossing the street at a red light some rear end in a top hat slowly drove around the cars in front of him into the oncoming lane to blow through the light and make a left. Just to get stuck in traffic again.

These days, I don't even cross the street immediately when I get the signal because some shithead will always blow through the solid red light.

If the city would crack down on lovely driving with citations and use the money on our public transit, I'm positive we could gold plate all of our trains. I guess it's more important for NYPD to demonstrate how useless they are.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
In the hospital they used to have these dope rear end insulated mugs that I have a collection of. Now you get paper cups.

Pictured dope rear end mug

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A lot of those terrible drivers are off duty cops

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Drivers became generally terrible in my area back when COVID first hit, and I figured it might take a while to get better but instead at this point I think it's just been normalized cause poo poo isn't getting better.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

bossy lady posted:

I can't tell if it's confirmation bias, but the way people are driving lately around me makes me believe this more than ever.

Just last night when I was crossing the street at a red light some rear end in a top hat slowly drove around the cars in front of him into the oncoming lane to blow through the light and make a left. Just to get stuck in traffic again.

These days, I don't even cross the street immediately when I get the signal because some shithead will always blow through the solid red light.

If the city would crack down on lovely driving with citations and use the money on our public transit, I'm positive we could gold plate all of our trains. I guess it's more important for NYPD to demonstrate how useless they are.

I live on a one-way street, where a lot of people drive on the wrong way because if they do it fast enough they can knock about thirty seconds off just driving the long way around. The problem is that I'm a loving pedestrian, and the cars going the normal way look like normal cars and I can gauge how fast they're going and how far away they are. Coming from the other side, it's a loving maniac trying to beat oncoming traffic who may not know where the actual turn is and they have pedestrian-blindness because they're mostly trying not to hit other cars or be seen by cops.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mischievous Mink posted:

Drivers became generally terrible in my area back when COVID first hit, and I figured it might take a while to get better but instead at this point I think it's just been normalized cause poo poo isn't getting better.

I also think driving in general has gotten appreciably worse because/since Covid.

In my state, it seems like they don't enforce speed limits as much as they used to. For one example, I used to see speed traps on the highway fairly often. Haven't seen one since 2019.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

the effect that COVID had on the long haul trucking industry has been very appreciable after driving to Denver twice and Lubbock once in the last 2 years

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

shazbot posted:

In the hospital they used to have these dope rear end insulated mugs that I have a collection of. Now you get paper cups.

Pictured dope rear end mug

Oh man, that takes me back. I used to have one of these that I got at a thrift store got for the express purpose of taking to the movies. I would fill it with soda or water beforehand, take it with me, and when somebody called me on it I would gesture at the name of the hospital and say, "I have diabetes," and hope they didn't ask any follow-up questions. 100% success rate.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

MrQwerty posted:

the effect that COVID had on the long haul trucking industry has been very appreciable after driving to Denver twice and Lubbock once in the last 2 years
Condolences on having to drive to Lubbock

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

nice obelisk idiot posted:

Condolences on having to drive to Lubbock

it was terrible

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

bossy lady posted:

I bike 4.5 miles each way to work. I don't know if its something we're putting in the water at work but I almost got hit three times. Twice by people turning into the flow of traffic and only checking the traffic in one direction. Had to shout at both of them for them to see me. The other was someone making a turn perpendicular to my direction of travel. Again, had to shout to make her see me. Hit the brakes hard enough to skid.

I was obeying all traffic laws pertaining to cyclists in my city. I know because I work for the city and there are posted signs. Its loving wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Beastie posted:

I bike 4.5 miles each way to work. I don't know if its something we're putting in the water at work but I almost got hit three times. Twice by people turning into the flow of traffic and only checking the traffic in one direction. Had to shout at both of them for them to see me. The other was someone making a turn perpendicular to my direction of travel. Again, had to shout to make her see me. Hit the brakes hard enough to skid.

I was obeying all traffic laws pertaining to cyclists in my city. I know because I work for the city and there are posted signs. Its loving wild.

I was car-free for six years leading into the pandemic, I feel your pain. People are so goddamn oblivious it's disgusting. I have to drive a lot more since moving to the infrastructure wasteland that is the greater Baltimore area and tbh it's just as bad as biking. I had two close calls this week; in both cases the dipshit drivers pulled out of perpendicular side streets (one of them running a stop sign in the process) while looking in the entirely wrong goddamn direction. Like heads fully turned 90° away from my profanity-spewing face.

I don't know what the gently caress happened to people's brains during the pandemic but they now seem to lack even the most basic of self-preservation instincts, which as it turns out makes them incredibly hard to predict.

I loving hate car culture in this stupid loving country.