Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Fury Road was best picture in my opinion. Hard to compare with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He basically soft retired acting. I think this was his last film.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CelticPredator posted:

He basically soft retired acting. I think this was his last film.

That was overblown apparently. He's not done, but at the time he wanted to slow down and make some changes.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
He seems to be in a totally different mode in this, I really like what I'm seeing from him in the trailer

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I could get being a little iffy on the CGI in the first trailer, but it looks like its shot very much like Fury Road was with very very similar production design? I really don't understand being down on this trailer. A lot of Fury Road looks like this!!

It was shot in Australia so theres going to be plenty of practical stuff. Fury Road had 2000 VFX shots which is close to Attack of the Clones. Its all about how they mesh it together.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jewmanji posted:

You’re right. Once you make a bad movie it’s literally impossible to ever make a good one again.

Which bad movie did Miller make? No names are coming to mind.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

i'm gonna be real here Beyond Thunderdome kinda sucks rear end

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's really bad. But he only half directed it so idk.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It's really bad. But he only half directed it so idk.

yeah and like, half of it is good! but the half that is bad is real bad.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm gonna be real here Beyond Thunderdome kinda sucks rear end

I guess my view is if someone asserts that a director has made bad films but then the best example of a bad film is a film they made is one from 40 years prior in their career, I'm willing to the give the director the benefit of the doubt.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah and like, half of it is good! but the half that is bad is real bad.

Everyone only remembers master blaster bc that was the action and the part Miller directed lol

I guess people remember the barter town line too

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Any Babe 2 haters will see my boot in their face.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Furiosa will be kino, I’m sure of it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

I guess my view is if someone asserts that a director has made bad films but then the best example of a bad film is a film they made is one from 40 years prior in their career, I'm willing to the give the director the benefit of the doubt.

thanks for reminding me that thunderdome came out 40 years ago I guess it's time for me to set up a living trust and start planning for the inevitable

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Beyond thunderdome gave us a thunderdome with the simplest rule of “two man enter, one man leave.” So as a film it’s an important cultural milestone.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Furiosa will be kino, I’m sure of it.

kino is german for movie so I think you're right

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

happyhippy posted:

If you haven't played the game version of Mad Max, I would thoroughly recommend it.

And if you find yourself being menaced by the War Boys or the Buzzards or whatever, just stand in front of a solid surface as they drive at you. They'll stop and get out of their car and it makes combat so much easier. Yahtzee mentioned it in his review, and it works like a charm.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
My furiosa hot take is a lukewarm take: "it looks pretty good overall, but it doesn't look nearly as good as fury road"

the only shot that's a *legit* stinker is this one where the camera whips around chris hemsworth, a digital explosion is overlaid like 1" from his face, and he doesn't flinch or move in any way

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Beyond Thunderdome rules you Philistines

and the kids are great, probably the closest we'll ever get to a Riddley Walker movie

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the funniest part of Beyond Thunderdome is how hard Spielberg ripped off the parts with the kids for Hook. c'mon Steve, if you're gonna rip something off, at least rip off something good!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

For some reason Hook reminded me that I found out that Waterworld at Universal City is changing to a Fall Guy thing, mostly the same stuff but more stunts-oriented.

I'm kind of upset about it. If anyone has been to Waterworld at the park it's like the best. My favorite ride. this is like losing the Matterhorn at Disney before people went nuts about it and then it was just a "refurbishment"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

lorenzo’s oil

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah the Furiosa trailer isn’t objectively bad, but gives very much a “Fury Road at home” vibe.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Clipperton posted:

Beyond Thunderdome rules you Philistines

and the kids are great, probably the closest we'll ever get to a Riddley Walker movie

I say "long long ago, in the before times" a lot.

Also, Savannah Nix is a great character name.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

kiimo posted:

For some reason Hook reminded me that I found out that Waterworld at Universal City is changing to a Fall Guy thing, mostly the same stuff but more stunts-oriented.

I'm kind of upset about it. If anyone has been to Waterworld at the park it's like the best. My favorite ride. this is like losing the Matterhorn at Disney before people went nuts about it and then it was just a "refurbishment"

Dang what the heck, now I’m glad I went to see it last time I was at the park.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Beyond Thunderdome is a curious film. I marathoned all 4 movies in a day as a prelude to playing the Mad Max game (which loving owns) the next day. They all hold up, but Thunderdome is the weakest of them all.

The problem is that it is weirdly bloodless. Almost nobody dies in it. Even the main henchman survives an "oh he dead" situation about seven times, when in the other films any one of those would have been the end of him. And every time he comes back and gets another go it lowers the tension further. In fact, pretty much the only death in the movie I can even remember is a kid drowning in the sandstorm which is specifically done to give a sense of stakes. Miller's producer friend had recently died so looks like he was deliberately avoiding a body count, so we got an oddly PG-13 movie from what is supposed to be an adult film for 18+. It's just so bloodless. Even in the big final car chase it's got vehicles flipping and people staggering out of the wrecks as if it was just a Smokey and the Bandit film.

Max doesn't even have a car for the first hour, which is a big deal.

And yet... I can't dislike this film. It's the one I've seen the most times, which is thanks to it being kid friendly in the '80s, but I have no desire to ever watch it again. But there's some really good stuff in it:

Tina Turner is flawless as Auntie Entity, just perfect.
We Don't Need Another Hero goes harder than a movie theme needs to, one of the best tunes of the '80s.
The script is really, really tight. It's not just full of quotable lines (more than any other Mad Max film) but there's a sense of rhythm and pacing to the words that makes it a joy. Now a Mad Max film is not usually the place where you should be paying attention to the words, but in Thunderdome it is really worth paying attention to the words. I wouldn't change a thing, it's not the script that is the issue.

Man, an R-rated cut of exactly the same film would be so good.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

Polo-Rican posted:

My furiosa hot take is a lukewarm take: "it looks pretty good overall, but it doesn't look nearly as good as fury road"

the only shot that's a *legit* stinker is this one where the camera whips around chris hemsworth, a digital explosion is overlaid like 1" from his face, and he doesn't flinch or move in any way

a lot just look... qustionabel. but i do think the bullet shells dropping scene also looks straight up bad.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Woodenlung posted:

a lot just look... qustionabel. but i do think the bullet shells dropping scene also looks straight up bad.

Yeah it’s too clean but idc. We’re gonna love it, notice the flaws on rewatch, and still love it

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

As someone who had no idea a new Mad Max movie featuring Furiosa was coming out, that trailer made me want to go see the movie.

To be fair though, I have always liked the Mad Max setting and the movies, and think Fury Road was drat near a masterpiece for what it was.

What I'm saying is if I saw a poster outside the theater that was text only that read "Mad Max: Furiosa coming in 2024" I would get excited to see it, so it wouldn't take much.

So, the trailer was enough to make me, someone who doesn't post in the movie forums, come see what goons thoughts were on it, so I guess it did its job.

With that said, thanks to everyone for some opinions on the actual trailer.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CelticPredator posted:

It was released for the public though. It wasn’t a “this trailer leaked and we have to show it now” deal. Like suicide squad. Unless someone can correct me.

And the Tron trailer was a proof of concept they made and also shared.

Trailers are show with unfinished vfx all the time. The studios gotta get that marketing train going, movie be damned. There’s vfx artists posting here. Hopefully someone can come in and discuss it

I know I'm a VFX guy that has literally worked on trailer shots! None of the ones I released were revisited. They always wanted to but it just never happened bc of time/budget.

This conversation comes up all the time in this thread and I think most of time they're not really changed. At the very least it's the exception and not the rule. I need to start keeping track of it so we can revisit it.

That mad max shot was clearly basically the plate though and not even a temp vfx shot. Cool that it was shared (and yes I actually did see the official Tron one later but don't like it compared to the audience reaction one), but I do think comic con stuff is often in a way earlier state than normal trailers. They're definitely early looks. It's probably a lot more blurred line now to be honest. I could still be locked in early aughts and teens.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 2, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

JazzFlight posted:

Hey on twitter Hideo Kojima said he watched the trailer 10 times, so that’s good enough endorsement for me.

https://x.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1730764747908534763?s=46

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hell, same.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BonoMan posted:

I know I'm a VFX guy that has literally worked on trailer shots! None of the ones I released were revisited. They always wanted to but it just never happened bc of time/budget.

This conversation comes up all the time in this thread and I think most of time they're not really changed. At the very least it's the exception and not the rule. I need to start keeping track of it so we can revisit it.

That mad max shot was clearly basically the plate though and not even a temp vfx shot. Cool that it was shared (and yes I actually did see the official Tron one later but don't like it compared to the audience reaction one), but I do think comic con stuff is often in a way earlier state than normal trailers. They're definitely early looks. It's probably a lot more blurred line now to be honest. I could still be locked in early aughts and teens.

I think you have mentioned this before but I probably need to PM you and talk about the industry and where you work because I’m curious. That said I can say for sure that fast X absolutely redid shots for the film that we put in the trailer. But, the VFX on that film were a bit of a cluster gently caress admittedly

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:same:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Off the top of my head, The Hobbit movies, the first Avatar film, and King Kong all had vfx that were drastically improved between trailers and final films. Several of the Marvel movies also had significant changes too.

Most of the time its changes in compositing, typically the underlying animation and models don't shift much. Though in the case of Avatar they reworked things significantly because initial trailers had clipping errors in their animations.

Here's a quickly googled comparison of changes to one of the Hobbit films. They also included changes of color grading which makes it a bit tedious to scroll through, but it starts off with a comparison for the digital dog composites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi94JM3zkxk

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Alita, Five Nights at Freddys and Sonic. If we include changing how characters looks based on negative feedback.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bugblatter posted:

Off the top of my head, The Hobbit movies, the first Avatar film, and King Kong all had vfx that were drastically improved between trailers and final films. Several of the Marvel movies also had significant changes too.

Most of the time its changes in compositing, typically the underlying animation and models don't shift much. Though in the case of Avatar they reworked things significantly because initial trailers had clipping errors in their animations.

Here's a quickly googled comparison of changes to one of the Hobbit films. They also included changes of color grading which makes it a bit tedious to scroll through, but it starts off with a comparison for the digital dog composites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi94JM3zkxk

This is an interesting video although I still would say it's an outlier. Most of the shots in there appear to be more creative changes than quality changes. In most of the comparisons the visual fidelity is still the same. And it's PJ who probably has more pull when it comes to changes. And it's trailer to blu ray not trailer to film. So that's a pretty big gulf.

I'll concede that it probably happens more now than I think... But I still think it's rarer that an actual divide in quality is crossed with revisited shots. Like going from "oh poo poo that looks like temp vfx" to "totally believable".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wouldn’t call it temp vfx, just unfinished unpolished. Gotta start the marketing machine asap.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Not that I think this'd be an issue with the trailer for Furiosa but we should also keep in mind that there's long been a trend of using alt takes and even scenes or characters which later get cut entirely in trailers, and the MCU has even been creating fakeout shots in trailers to hide spoilers: https://thedirect.com/article/27-mcu-trailer-moments-that-never-appear-in-marvel-studios-movies

There's been several cases where people made an official complaint or even sued a studio because they felt a trailer misled them:

quote:

A cinemagoer who complained that an explosion seen in a trailer for recent Tom Cruise thriller Jack Reacher did not make the final cut is to get his money back.

The man, identified only as J Congdon, complained to New Zealand's Advertising Standards Authority after realising the tantalising shot had been removed from the theatrical release by Hollywood studio Paramount. "The explosion where the whole cliff comes down was the defining part of the ad that made me really want to go see the movie … aside from having Tom Cruise in it," he wrote in his letter of complaint.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/apr/02/jack-reacher-film-new-zealand

quote:

Two film buffs say Universal Pictures tricked them into renting 2019 flick Yesterday because the trailer featured actor Ana de Armas.

Peter Michael Rosza of San Diego and Conor Woulfe of Maryland say they forked over $3.99 each to watch the Richard Curtis comedy on Amazon Prime, only to discover that de Armas had not made the final cut.

A class action suit filed earlier this year alleges fans had been led to expect the Cuban star of No Time To Die would feature prominently. However, they “did not receive a movie with any appearance of Ana de Armas at all”, says the suit, reported by US media on Friday.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/dec/24/movie-fans-can-sue-over-misleading-trailer-us-judge-rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caHnaRq8Qlg

I'm hype for more Mad Max even without Mad Max in it.