Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Do they still have novelists? Guess somebody has to write things to be adapted into movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'll gladly take reading a text faq written by someone who I never have to learn a thing about over having to listen to some nasally voiced fetus who looks like a sentient stalk of broccoli say that he'll tell me what I want to know right after he's done convincing me how awesome War Thunder is while showing sign-up bonuses that include "renting" a Panzer III for 7 days

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

every youtube guide starts with a guy yelling "WHAT's up guys". like with the emphasis really heavily on the "WHAT" part of it and it drives me insane

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

video guides will never match the majesty of that one super metroid guide formatted in perfect justified text, without using any double spaces

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/snes/588741-super-metroid/faqs/10114

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I find GameFAQs guides to be inherently superior in every single way to video "guides" or whatever. The one exception being video guides that show you where to look, but that's achievable with a screenshot.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

repiv posted:

video guides will never match the majesty of that one super metroid guide formatted in perfect justified text, without using any double spaces

That is the true ascii art.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

repiv posted:

I still remember the DSimpson BG2 guide that broke everything in that huge game down so well. It was so great at breaking down weird D and D2e stuff and telling you about the potential of a lot of the classes and kits.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm really glad that gamefaqs is probably pennies to run, otherwise it would likely already be full of enshitiffication "features"

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Space Kablooey posted:

I'm really glad that gamefaqs is probably pennies to run, otherwise it would likely already be full of enshitiffication "features"

CJayC would never let that happen

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I was also playing around with a bow and noticed I could safely shoot the tail of some aircraft carrier-sized rear end in a top hat that's camping a bridge I want to cross and decided I'd dump all 60 arrows I had into it. Didn't die but now it's an rear end in a top hat with no tail and I have a sword I probably won't use, so lol. I feel like that's the first major secret I've found.

Good game so far.

that drake sword owns btw and can take you quite far into the game before you need something better

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Pyromancy is also really OP in DS1 and has a real fun gimmick where unlike the other magic types doesn’t scale on stats but instead on its own separate level up system.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
Drake sword is a bit of a trap imo. Yes it can take you to mid game, but the upgrade materials are better spent on something like the black knight weapons. You'll also learn more figuring out the black knight fights than mindlessly shooting arrows at the drake's tail for 15 minutes

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Just spend several hours in Sen's Fortress farming Balder Side Sword like the rest of us

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The Pike is so great in DS1 and I’m so pissed they made it worse and worse in every subsequent Eldensouls. Just like pyromancy and light encumbrances. Like Fromsoft has a personal vendetta against my preferred builds.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

galagazombie posted:

Pyromancy is also really OP in DS1 and has a real fun gimmick where unlike the other magic types doesn’t scale on stats but instead on its own separate level up system.

man I'm not seeing it yet, 8 casts of something with a range that's so short most things can close and hit me while I'm winding up isn't what I think of when I think OP. Especially when I'm also carrying 99 firebombs.

Gwely Mernans posted:

Drake sword is a bit of a trap imo. Yes it can take you to mid game, but the upgrade materials are better spent on something like the black knight weapons. You'll also learn more figuring out the black knight fights than mindlessly shooting arrows at the drake's tail for 15 minutes

I've killed 3 of those buttholes so far but haven't looked at their weapons much beyond seeing that I don't have the stats for them (or the drake sword). I'm using a rapier. That's it. A rapier that I just got to +3. And a heater shield that I bought from a dude because it had 100 physical block.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

man I'm not seeing it yet, 8 casts of something with a range that's so short most things can close and hit me while I'm winding up isn't what I think of when I think OP. Especially when I'm also carrying 99 firebombs.

All the starting magic sucks balls. You don’t get the good stuff till you find each magic types respective NPC.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I will find them and make them teach me

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gwely Mernans posted:

Everyone says this but it's some pro gamer nonsense about stat scaling just use it until you get something better it kicks rear end

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Scaling up the pyro damage is a lot easier than other ways to scale up your damage and the cap can be way higher than others. Also, there's a lot more spells than the basic fireball.

Rapier and heater are excellent and could easily get you through the whole game. There's very few outright "bad" options, but that's one of the stronger ones, especially for a new player.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 1, 2023

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

it is trivial to SL1 dark souls 1 as long as you +15 the pyromancer glove. you can even stack like the dusk crown and rings and poo poo and great combustion will hit for like 1,000 damage. supplemented with a +15 spiked club and you wreck.

SL1 twink invading was so fun

capitalknockers
Nov 10, 2023

Gwely Mernans posted:

Black Knight weapons use different upgrade materials than Drake Sword. Use Drake Sword for its great base damage while you level up your other stats then get rid of it. I don't know what kind of pervert would actually upgrade it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
looking up gamefaqs guides was lit in 2002 but i'm always going to default to a youtube guide

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
YouTube guide the worst lol, 4 minutes of video when what I need is a line of text or a screenshot

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Is your brain broken?

Ctrl + f is significantly faster than waiting for some pleb to stutter and ad read his way to a point that could've been made in 599 words and not 10 minutes.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Well, it depends. If the info you're looking for is "where do i go to do [x]" in a 3D game, video is pretty much the best. But otherwise, yeah, classic gamefaqs is superior.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

No, you gotta grab the Zweihander. DS1 is the Zweihander game. It pancakes every enemy and you can grab it out of the graveyard at the start.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

jokes posted:

I find GameFAQs guides to be inherently superior in every single way to video "guides" or whatever. The one exception being video guides that show you where to look, but that's achievable with a screenshot.

The problem is like 90% of gamefaqs guides aren't helpful enough and are as mindless if not moreso as guide videos with directions like "go through the door" but I'm playing some 90s PSX looking crap so nothing looks like a door :shrug:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Nice Van My Man posted:

No, you gotta grab the Zweihander. DS1 is the Zweihander game. It pancakes every enemy and you can grab it out of the graveyard at the start.

That sword confused me so much. Like, what do I DO with it? It's so much more powerful than my starter weapon. Or the next one I got. Or the next one. Or the next one.

I quit playing a long time ago, but I always wanted to ask someone about it: is the sword supposed to be a joke? Are you meant to get it that early and use it? Do you get better with it later on? What's the deal with the Zweihander? I pretty much just used that weapon until I absolutely had enough of the game.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I ignored it until my last playthrough because I didn't usually level strength but basically yeah, it's crazy good and a little on the broken side. I played a Pyro Zweihander user and it kind of breaks the game.

Well it didn't break the game but you are pretty much set in terms of build for the rest of the game.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 2, 2023

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
Weapon viability in Souls games is all about moveset and the Zweihander has a great one + it hits like a truck

The poke is quick with tons of range and the sweep destroys packs of enemies

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

credburn posted:

That sword confused me so much. Like, what do I DO with it? It's so much more powerful than my starter weapon. Or the next one I got. Or the next one. Or the next one.

I quit playing a long time ago, but I always wanted to ask someone about it: is the sword supposed to be a joke? Are you meant to get it that early and use it? Do you get better with it later on? What's the deal with the Zweihander? I pretty much just used that weapon until I absolutely had enough of the game.

It's supposed to be an early heavy weapon option for people who want to smash stuff, but smashing stuff is overpowered in Dark Souls. Especially in Dark Souls 1 where most of the things you encounter running around are vulnerable to being smashed flat. Ideally, it would be balanced by being a slower weapon with higher stat requirements.

There are very few "bad" options in Dark Souls, but there are some optimal options and this one just happens to be right there for people.

I don't think I've ever actually used the zweihander myself. My initial playthrough went some kind of sword and board, and then after that I just liked going for the goofiest options possible. If you're not spinning to win your dual wield bonewheel shield (one fire and one lightning, of course), what are you even doing?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ravus Ursus posted:

Is your brain broken?

Ctrl + f is significantly faster than waiting for some pleb to stutter and ad read his way to a point that could've been made in 599 words and not 10 minutes.

You're talking to a hardcore DOTA2 player

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've killed 3 of those buttholes so far but haven't looked at their weapons much beyond seeing that I don't have the stats for them (or the drake sword). I'm using a rapier. That's it. A rapier that I just got to +3. And a heater shield that I bought from a dude because it had 100 physical block.

Early on, yeah, you may as well use firebombs if you already bought a shitload of them. Pyromancy has a lot more than just the starter spell though, including some way cool utility stuff. You are gonna get so sweaty

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

deep dish peat moss posted:

Just spend several hours in Sen's Fortress farming Balder Side Sword like the rest of us

It dropped from my first dude. and then I never used it

Found out later just how popular it was.

Looking back, I can't remember what I was using at that point.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
For some reason I always end up with the longsword or broadsword in souls games. Always promising myself that I will try different weapons, and here I am again, hitting the final boss with my starting sword.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If souls games wanted me to use another weapon theyd let me start with it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
DS1 was my favorite since almost all the fun weapons you could get within 10 minutes of starting the game.

As the series went on the devs kept pushing things farther and farther into the game and hiding them behind bosses.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

One big thing about pyromancy that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is that its damage is based purely on the upgrade level of your pyromancy flame, rather than scaling off of your stats like pretty much everything else in the game. The spells themselves don't even have stat requirements, and upgrading the flame only costs souls, no upgrade materials. Also the flame weighs 0. So it's basically a no-downside freebie for your character.

And yeah, the first couple pyromancies you get suck but you'll find much better ones later.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
I don't like that souls games are championed as the alternative to over aggressive handholding and lazy quest compass design. The navigation in souls feels similar to when you turn off the UI features in those other games, devs not bothering to put in any diegetic guidance so you're just forced to stumble around through trial and error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

some sadist left half of a pierce-resistant lacross-playing stone giant in a room that's barely bigger than the giant's reach and then made it very dim and put roll-blocking debris all over the floor. gently caress this game, at least for the rest of tonight. Tomorrow I'm leveling up a morning star or something.